• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Finally. It should have happened way before, but finally. Also, I believe this is also related to the reports of them working on a similar service/solution.

Edit: Wait. I just read the conditions. This is bonkers... Apple being Apple 🙄

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Sounds like a lot of backend work so this might not end up making a difference

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
"Games offered in the service need to be downloaded directly from the App Store."

That's not how cloud gaming works.
I wonder if that's specifically if you want to download the game to your device to not stream it. Maybe if it's just streaming the game then within the one app is fine?

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I could see them requiring game purchases to go through their stuff but requiring separate app executables all uploaded on the store is bonkers

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
nice, I think they were feeling the squeeze by some of the ads that Microsoft had done with Android phones + Tablets. Hoping that the iPad app gets updated soon for xCloud/Streaming, would love to play on my iPad.

Reading the description I have no idea how this is going to work ... Sounds nothing like how the systems are designed to work now... Apple is so fucking odd. Like this is *so much more work* for Apple, hahahah. Sometimes they tie themselves in knots over this stupid shit. I also don't know why this doesn't apply to Netflix, Hulu, Google Play, HBO, etc... Like, shouldn't every movie on Netflix, then, requie you to download an app to play that movie...?

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get how this rule works for streaming apps. The games are streaming so they aren't downloaded. Are they asking for each game in xcloud to create a link to the service as an app individually?
Basically if you want to play destiny and Forza you need to download the Forza Xcloud App and the Destiny Xcloud App. Repeat for all games on the service...despite the fact that the app is just the same shell pointing to a different game.

blodtann

Jun 7, 2018
I expect Netflix will have to do the same, even for each episode of a show. But a bunch of nonsense.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Apple's rules mean that if a streaming game service has 100 games, then each of those games will need an individual App Store listing as well as a developer relationship with Apple. The individual games also have to have some basic functionality when they're downloaded. All the games and the stores need to offer in-app purchase using Apple's payment processing system

No way will Microsoft Deal with that.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Reads the actual conditions for iOS Xcloud:

tenor.gif

OP
OP
RoKKeR

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously there are conditions and the thread title will need an update. Was just posting the news as it came in.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
Beginning to think people aren't reading the article here, they want separate apps for each game, with gamepass constantly rotating games in and out of the service I couldn't imagine how many messes such a policy of Apple's would create.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit... one app per game on Game Pass? That would be a shit ton of work

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
This...doesn't seem to mean anything?

Apple said before that to allow game streaming, developers needed to submit each game available on the service independently to the App Store for approval.

Isn't that basically what they're talking about here?

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
This is just Apple trying to shift blame to stadia and Xbox, policy still is basically the same just different wording.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
honestly i don't think microsoft is going to put xcloud on ios under these rules. google may try with stadia tho.

Polynaut

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah reading the article and conditions, it's a joke. May as well not have clarified the rules.

I guess I will be switching to Android after all. :\

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
"Games offered in the service need to be downloaded directly from the App Store."

That's not how cloud gaming works.
Exactly. The is a pointless change that really does not help Xcloud. Also, I wonder how it will work with downloading Xbox titles via App store, without issues. Updating is going to be a pain.

Also, does this not bypass the 30% stuff Epic is all annoyed about? Just put Fortnite in Game Pass lol.

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
That's such a weird restriction. It sounds like it might be feasible for a company publishing all the games it will stream for its service, like Ubisoft. But the customer confusion is going to be huge. App Store will have thousands of console/PC games listed that can't actually be played locally on device, require a subscription to a given service to play, maybe even different apps for the same game on different services, etc. I have to assume more details will come out that clarify how this would work for a streaming service featuring hundreds or thousands of games, because as-is, this sounds like a terrible experience compared to having just an xCloud app. I get that it might be easier for them to maintain control over issues that arise with individual apps and of course get those in-app purchase 30%s if it's on an individual basis, but what a bad experience for us.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
so now apple is trying to extort money from developers

what the actual fuck is wrong with them

Woylie

May 9, 2018
What in the world

there's no way they'll list every Xcloud game individually on the app store lol

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
So they won't allow games that don't have micro transactions.....
WTF

...and they also won't actually allow streaming through the streaming ap?!?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds to me like each game needs to have its own icon which will just be a thin client for the xcloud launcher

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Apple remains to be garbage when it comes to these things. MS just make a remote play app for my xbox so I can move on with my life. They'll never change lol.

MitchUK

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. The is a pointless change that really does not help Xcloud. Also, I wonder how it will work with downloading Xbox titles via App store, without issues. Updating is going to be a pain.

Also, does this not bypass the 30% stuff Epic is all annoyed about? Just put Fortnite in Game Pass lol.
Nah, they want to use Apple payment system for all in game dlc too.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this title got me really excited. And then I read it, and I feel like this changes nothing.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't solve anything. It's not really reasonable for services to manually do that work for each game. It's a half step so Apple can push the game into the streaming services for not doing the extra work.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"All the games and the stores need to offer in-app purchase using Apple's payment processing system, under which Apple usually takes 30% of revenue."

Yup. This and MS having to submit each game individually, means it still won't be happening.

Sorry, people who just read the title and nothing else.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this is fucking stupid. Why do they have to be so god damn backward with this? It's the money isn't it?