• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/11/app...ll-affect-google-stadia-microsoft-xcloud.html

NOT FULL COMPATABILITY, READ BELOW:
Apple says that game streaming services, such as Google Stadia and Microsoft xCloud, are explicitly permitted. But there are conditions: Games offered in the service need to be downloaded directly from the App Store, not from an all-in-one app. App makers are permitted to release a so-called "catalog app" that links to other games in the service, but each game will need to be an individual app.

More on specific requirements for separate game downloads.
Apple's rules mean that if a streaming game service has 100 games, then each of those games will need an individual App Store listing as well as a developer relationship with Apple. All the games and the stores need to offer in-app purchase using Apple's payment processing system, under which Apple usually takes 30% of revenue.

Last edited:

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome! Would love to check out xCloud on my iPad Pro.

Edit: how does the "games downloaded must be downloaded through the App Store" affect this? Do Stadia or xCloud even offer downloads, or is this saying anything you stream through Stadia/xCloud has to actually just be running natively on iOS?

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no way in hell is MS gonna do that still, if the service has 200 apps then that is 200 separate listings!

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
hmm interesting thats pretty good but how does that work with how the games launch, is it that the game is withing their catalog and connects to the main app?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
that is... bizarre

so you can't just pick a game from xcloud and play, you'd have to download another app from the launcher that itself is just launching a streaming session? you'd end up with an xcloud app and a halo app?

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
Why the extravagance? This is ridiculous to have to individually list each game.

Last edited:

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
An app per game adds so much friction... why... it's like asking Netflix to have an app per show.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I thought at first it was great.
But it remains to be seen how they're going to implement the app-per-game thing. Maybe a simple "key"?

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
"Games offered in the service need to be downloaded directly from the App Store."

That's not how cloud gaming works.

Polynaut

Oct 27, 2017
The thread title made me so excited! And then I saw the caveat... I don't know that MS or Google will go for that...

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
That still doesn't really make sense. So they need to make some XCloud Wrapper app for each individual game? Very arbitrary.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
"xCloud, Google Stadia permitted"
Just like before, but under Apple rules, like now... Apple new rules still aren't compatible with how Stadia and xCloud works.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
I don't get how this rule works for streaming apps. The games are streaming so they aren't downloaded. Are they asking for each game in xcloud to create a link to the service as an app individually?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's not going to work. What company wants to maintain dozens of listings on the app store and make shortcut apps for each one?

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Reads the actual conditions for iOS Xcloud:

tenor.gif

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
You all need to actually read the article before jumping to conclusions.

Stadia and xCloud aren't allowed on iOS without huge changes into how they work.

MitchUK

Oct 27, 2017
"All the games and the stores need to offer in-app purchase using Apple's payment processing system, under which Apple usually takes 30% of revenue."

TaKeRx

Oct 25, 2017
Apple is still being Apple. It will never be as seamless as Android, which is why I switched.