• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Cash is so impractical, I struggle to understand why anybody would actively insist on using it.

there are countless studies that shows using plastic makes you spend more vs using cash.

I am all cash free myself for many years now, but just saying that people who wants to save and budget should stay away from CC

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
5$ to activate, 10$ if you don't use it enough in a month, 2.50$ per transaction, 3.50$ per atm withdrawl is one a friend had to use

my personal bank account will start dinging 10$ a month if you don't use the card something like 20 times a month or if you have a minimum balance of 2,000$.

we really need banks to get regulated like a motherfucker very soon
Ain't that always the bullshit, they charge more fees for not having the money than if you do. Would love to see the stats on how many americans carry a balance of 2000+ a month. I know a lot of people the only time their accounts get beyond triple digits is when they deposit their pay check and start paying bills

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ain't that always the bullshit, they charge more fees for not having the money than if you do. Would love to see the stats on how many americans carry a balance of 2000+ a month. I know a lot of people the only time their accounts get beyond triple digits is when they deposit their pay check and start paying bills

one of my friends ended up in the hospital, so her bank puts her inactive and then dings her into the negative, closes the account, so now she's stuck using one of those shitty cards

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
one of my friends ended up in the hospital, so her bank puts her inactive and then dings her into the negative, closes the account, so now she's stuck using one of those shitty cards
It's setup so that one fee triggers an avalanche of other bullshit. The system is designed to bury you.

Nov 9, 2017
there are countless studies that shows using plastic makes you spend more vs using cash.

I am all cash free myself for many years now, but just saying that people who wants to save and budget should stay away from CC

People who want to save and budget actually should use credit cards. People who have trouble using money responsibly should stay away from credit cards.

CopyOfACopy

Oct 27, 2017
While Japan does have a ton of that stuff, they're also very big on cash/cash only businesses

was strange having a magic card for some things but also having to carry around 2000 yen in pocket change

but the idea of a digital wallet cash card was illuminating

the resources and infrastructure needed to introduce it into the USA would be daunting

OP
OP

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
gonna chop in a few more thoughts here

It'd be one thing if they just wanted, say, 50-100, but Amazon laid out their plans and they want these things everywhere

1 in every airport, 1 near every newsstand, etc. 1 in every theater, remember they bought a whole chain of those (Landmark, IIRC)

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
good.

curious about how it'll work—there's no checkout, right? you just leave with your shopping?

maybe they'll add a couple of regular checkouts to each store or something.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
good.

curious about how it'll work—there's no checkout, right? you just leave with your shopping?

maybe they'll add a couple of regular checkouts to each store or something.

grocery stores with self checks have cash slots just like a vending machine but with more robust bill acceptors and coin acceptors and the ability to give back change as both bills and coins. Nothing keeping amazon from having one of those in there

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
grocery stores with self checks have cash slots just like a vending machine but with more robust bill acceptors and coin acceptors and the ability to give back change as both bills and coins. Nothing keeping amazon from having one of those in there
yea I know, I'm just wondering where they'd go. as is, the checkout area is just.... the exit. there's nowhere to like queue or whatever.

(I also think they should have at least one ordinary checkout for the kinds of folks who struggle with self-checkout machines.)

OP
OP

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
yea I know, I'm just wondering where they'd go. as is, the checkout area is just.... the exit. there's nowhere to like queue or whatever.

(I also think they should have at least one ordinary checkout for the kinds of folks who struggle with self-checkout machines.)

They'll likely have one or two checkout spots now.

Oct 27, 2017
5$ to activate, 10$ if you don't use it enough in a month, 2.50$ per transaction, 3.50$ per atm withdrawl is one a friend had to use

my personal bank account will start dinging 10$ a month if you don't use the card something like 20 times a month or if you have a minimum balance of 2,000$.

we really need banks to get regulated like a motherfucker very soon

I spotted the problem. You're at a bank. Go find a credit union you can join.
I don't pay anything for my checking account and there's no minimum account balance. They actually pay me to use my debit card. If I use it 12 times a month I get an annual rate of 2% on what I have in my checking account up to $10,000. So I get paid about $17.50 a month for my checking account.
I hope people can get these cash cards with very little in the way of fees but we'll see.

Oct 27, 2017

As I understand it people have to convert their cash to a cash card at 7-11 or CVS. They then just walk in and out of the Amazon store like everyone else because what they bought is deducted from their cash card.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would be more supportive if every store was attempting to adopt a no-cash policy, but what difference does it make if one store has a no cash policy?

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Good. Cashless to me at this point in time is bullshit, and has always felt that way to me (that whole "legal tender" thing), and I say that as someone who virtually never carries cash. Until we can guarantee that everyone has the ability to store their money somewhere that can be tapped into using a card, it needs to be this way.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
these stores depend on people having amazon accounts which need credit cards to work. there are cash machines which you can enter dollar bills but that just gives the stores something else to go wrong because those machines sometimes break down.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It's so strange how politicians think poor people who have no credit cards or bank accounts are prioritizing to shop at Amazon Go or stores that are cashless. Like, these fucking politicians have zero idea what poor and homeless people are looking for, do they? How about you change banking regulations so they can actually afford or acquire a bank account? But that'd be too much work so let's force a small amount of stores to accept cash so we can make a news headline that says, "we're helping the poor!!!" Fucking useless politicians.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Good. Cashless to me at this point in time is bullshit, and has always felt that way to me (that whole "legal tender" thing), and I say that as someone who virtually never carries cash. Until we can guarantee that everyone has the ability to store their money somewhere that can be tapped into using a card, it needs to be this way.
You won't get that guarantee until banking regulations change in the US. They're not changing those. With your logic, you will be decades out while other places around the world make that change.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I expect support for cash in these stores will be like at self-checkout terminals you might find at Walmart, Target, or your local grocery store. Scan/weigh your items, then feed in bills to pay. I don't see how having one or two of these available will inconvenience those paying by card via their smartphone.