• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Oh online requires two copies like every other online game on switch, there was never a way around that

I thought I read somewhere & confirmed here in the early OT that 1x copy of Animal Crossing: NH can be played simultaneously (visiting each others island) when connecting an Online Family plan?

Here's the post.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I thought I read somewhere & confirmed here in the early OT that 1x copy of Animal Crossing: NH can be played simultaneously (visiting each others island) when connecting an Online Family plan?

Here's the post.
At no point does it say they are both online at the same time. Pretty sure you can visit a friends island when they're offline if you're invited

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Can someone explain - and I promise this is genuinely honest - what makes this stand out from similar eShop titles? I see a lot of people really excited about this, but it doesn't look any different from shovelware.

I promise this is honest!! I really want to understand and be excited for it!!
As someone who was very skeptical of the DS game and refused to get it unless it was used for under $20 but not has played probably hundreds of hours on it and even learned many games I never even knew existed, I get it.

My experience is that they are easy to get into, there is lots of variety in the games, lots of customization in the rule sets which can really change a game up and keep it fresh, very user friendly to let you know what moves are possible (which is great in games you may be unfamiliar with), difficulty levels that provide a decent enough challenge if you can't find someone to play with, lots of challenges/achievements that offer objectives when playing different games, and the download feature that makes local multiplayer easy even if someone doesn't already own the game.

This new one seems to have all that (not sure about the challenges yet), with improved online play, improved graphics/physics, videos breakdowns of the rules (it used to be all in text manuals before), and seemingly an all around improved package. My only personal gripe is that there aren't a couple games from the DS version, but that's mainly just a personal preference. This is a must buy for me, and I could see it being great for people who like a variety or party game like Wii Play/Wii Sports, who like different card games or board games, and anyone who wants a fun app to keep yourself busy (or play a quick game with others) while you are on the go.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
awesome thank you!

can all of these be played while docked or so you have to use the switch screen for some of them?
Every game can be played in docked or handheld.

Every game, except for two (bowling and darts), can be played with a Pro Controller in single player. Local multiplayer requires the use of joy-cons for some reason. No Pro Controllers allowed in local multiplayer (you can use a Pro Controller if you're playing against people online). Hopefully this is patched, because that's really dumb.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that I def. know- wondering about online play with 1x digital copy as I'm in a different location from my partner. I'll keep researching, thanks!

But your initial question said local play...?

My understanding with Animal Crossing - which is not first-hand - is that local play with one digital copy has issues but online play is fine. I'm not sure if that's something specific to it or for every game; looking it up now, I see some mention of the issue with local play being that doing so disables wi-fi (maybe internet in general?) and it needs that to check the license.

Regardless, I think you'd be fine for online play.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Do we know how Toy Tennis controls are compared to Wii Sports Resort Table Tennis?
I mean if I'm not mistaken, isn't the stuff in Wii Sports Resort all motion-controlled? There's no real comparison between the controls in that and Toy Tennis, as the latter isn't motion controlled. Based on what I've seen, you can move your character around on the tracks laid out on the toy court, and you have options to swing your racket to your left side or your right side. There might be a bit more to it than that (like I'm not sure if there's a particular way to make lob shots) but that's what I've gleaned from the footage we've seen so far.

The "toy" in toy tennis is pretty literal here. It really is like a foosball game with tennis rules more than a tennis game in the typical sense.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean if I'm not mistaken, isn't the stuff in Wii Sports Resort all motion-controlled? There's no real comparison between the controls in that and Toy Tennis, as the latter isn't motion controlled. Based on what I've seen, you can move your character around on the tracks laid out on the toy court, and you have options to swing your racket to your left side or your right side. There might be a bit more to it than that (like I'm not sure if there's a particular way to make lob shots) but that's what I've gleaned from the footage we've seen so far.

The "toy" in toy tennis is pretty literal here. It really is like a foosball game with tennis rules more than a tennis game in the typical sense.
Oh :(

Bowling at least seems to be pretty good, but without Tennis this isn't the Wii Sports replacement I was hoping for.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

Player 2 has ragequit the game.

Nintendo of Europe is showcasing this little Easter egg.

This is something GameXplain did not investigate further. Flipping chess tables. Maybe there are other games, using the touchscreen, allows you to shake things up.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I never played the DS game, so I'm curious - what games were in that one that people are disappointed didn't return for this one?

I might pick this up at some point down the line, though I'll probably still be working through Xenoblade at release.

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
Pretty excited for this title, I watched the previews from GameXplain & GoNintendo and it looks very promising! Definitely will be picking this up at launch.

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
But your initial question said local play...?

My understanding with Animal Crossing - which is not first-hand - is that local play with one digital copy has issues but online play is fine. I'm not sure if that's something specific to it or for every game; looking it up now, I see some mention of the issue with local play being that doing so disables wi-fi (maybe internet in general?) and it needs that to check the license.

Regardless, I think you'd be fine for online play.

I should have framed my question better as it's confusing- from what I understand...

For complete gamesharing:

1. My partner that's in my Family Plan must create their own acct. on the 2nd Switch (makes sense, as if I'm playing the same title = conflict)
  2. There are licence checks to launch any title which the Primary & Secondary Switch must be chosen but we can always tether our phones, so it's not a bother
  3. I believe 99% of the MP titles for the Switch require that both Switches to be on an Online Plan to play with each other regardless of our location. This is the annoyance- using the same wifi network won't allow for complete Gamesharing (at least for us to visit each other in Animal Crossing)

I confused "local coop" because inevitably, I'm going to use Tabletop to play with others. But also, with & against my partner's Switch away & local (regardless of location thanks to the online Family Plan). Finally, I was told there's a tool launching alongside 51 Clubgames that assists in the Multiplayer component. I hope that alone solves it. If gamesharing doesn't function similarly to AC, I won't jump in on launch day & will wait for a sale.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Finally, I was told there's a tool launching alongside 51 Clubgames that assists in the Multiplayer component.

That's for local multiplayer only. As in:
  • You have the game.
  • You have the Switch console.
  • Your partner does not have the game.
  • Your partner has the Switch console.
  • You and your partner must be near each other, within a few feets/meters of each other.
  • Local wireless game session can be made via the free companion app, just like other free local wireless companion apps out there.
As for gamesharing, I don't have any knowledge on this, nor ever used it, so I can't say much.

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
That's for local multiplayer only. As in:
  • You have the game.
  • You have the Switch console.
  • Your partner does not have the game.
  • Your partner has the Switch console.
  • You and your partner must be near each other, within a few feets/meters of each other.
  • Local wireless game session can be made via the free companion app, just like other free local wireless companion apps out there.

Ahhh, I see! Thanks for the info, that's helpful & should be included in whomever's authoring the OT. Okay, I will confer with my partner with what I learned!

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
So excited for this. A ton of friends wound up picking up the DS one in college and I can't even imagine how much time we spent playing it. Became a regular part of our moviegoing experience, getting to the theater early and playing a few games before it started.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I should have framed my question better as it's confusing- from what I understand...

For complete gamesharing:

1. My partner that's in my Family Plan must create their own acct. on the 2nd Switch (makes sense, as if I'm playing the same title = conflict)
  2. There are licence checks to launch any title which the Primary & Secondary Switch must be chosen but we can always tether our phones, so it's not a bother
  3. I believe 99% of the MP titles for the Switch require that both Switches to be on an Online Plan to play with each other regardless of our location. This is the annoyance- using the same wifi network won't allow for complete Gamesharing (at least for us to visit each other in Animal Crossing)

I confused "local coop" because inevitably, I'm going to use Tabletop to play with others. But also, with & against my partner's Switch away & local (regardless of location thanks to the online Family Plan). Finally, I was told there's a tool launching alongside 51 Clubgames that assists in the Multiplayer component. I hope that alone solves it. If gamesharing doesn't function similarly to AC, I won't jump in on launch day & will wait for a sale.

I'm not following 100% of your wording but I think you're describing it accurately! I don't think it would function differently from AC for these purposes, because I believe the way AC works (allowing online multiplayer with another Switch that's using the same digital copy) is the way it works on a system level. I'm not sure they can lock it down more than that, though maybe I shouldn't bet on that.

So it's fair to wait till the release to be 100% sure, but I think you will be fine! The only complication will be the local multiplayer as you've covered, but I think you or your partner could just also install the local-only tool and just use that when playing locally without having trouble? It just wouldn't track those stats and such (assuming that even exists/matters) in the game, I guess.

...though I'm also not sure who of you two would need to have that tool installed, given how the primary and secondary license situation works, hmm.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
So disappointing to hear that many games (Golf, Bowling, Fishing, etc) can only be played with 2 people. Makes zero sense.

Oct 27, 2017
this is easily the game i'm most excited for that has a firm release date, yet i don't know what else to say except "I CAN'T WAIT!". because, you know, it seems to be exactly what it's advertising — 51 super polished classic games, no more and no less.

all i can really add is that i hope we have a lot of ERA gameplay sessions when this releases. plllllease, folks.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
If nothing else, doing a bit of research in preparation for this game did finally push me to buy my own set of real hanafuda cards, and I've wound up falling in some odd Youtube holes watching top-tier carrom and mahjong play. Learning more about games I've only rather passively seen before is interesting, at least!

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
this is easily the game i'm most excited for that has a firm release date, yet i don't know what else to say except "I CAN'T WAIT!". because, you know, it seems to be exactly what it's advertising — 51 super polished classic games, no more and no less.

all i can really add is that i hope we have a lot of ERA gameplay sessions when this releases. plllllease, folks.
I literally bought this just to play Mancala and to finally learn Shogi the rest of the games are a nice bonus :D

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I'm not following 100% of your wording but I think you're describing it accurately! I don't think it would function differently from AC for these purposes, because I believe the way AC works (allowing online multiplayer with another Switch that's using the same digital copy) is the way it works on a system level. I'm not sure they can lock it down more than that, though maybe I shouldn't bet on that.

I agree! It should function as it has with Animal Crossing! (fingers-crossed)

...though I'm also not sure who of you two would need to have that tool installed, given how the primary and secondary license situation works, hmm.

That's also a good question! Perhaps both Switches or probably the Switch that owns the game.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Maybe we should start gathering all sorts of questions, and then send those questions all to someone who has the early preview of the game, and have them do some myth-busting. I wanted to discourage misinformation about the game prior to its release if possible.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
It bugged me for a few seconds that you kept tilting it in the same direction over and over! "What, it's a pre-determined animation that only works in one direction?!" I started thinking.

But then finally you showed the real magic, that it's physics based and you can even make them glide around on the board. :D Really cool!

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
It bugged me for a few seconds that you kept tilting it in the same direction over and over! "What, it's a pre-determined animation that only works in one direction?!" I started thinking.

But then finally you showed the real magic, that it's physics based and you can even make them glide around on the board. :D Really cool!

Hahaha, glad you enjoyed it. It's a shockingly detailed Easter Egg. You can even see the off-screen King pieces slide off when I do it during Checkers!

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think Nintendo should have bumped up the release date for this - even if it was just a soft eShop launch - due to everyone being stuck at home. I believe this will sell well regardless, but it would have been nice to have been playing this when there was nothing else to do.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Ah, so it's every game.

I wondered what would card games react? Connect 4? And probably golf?

I think Nintendo should have bumped up the release date for this - even if it was just a soft eShop launch - due to everyone being stuck at home. I believe this will sell well regardless, but it would have been nice to have been playing this when there was nothing else to do.

Adding to the fact, the lockdown period is almost over.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Wait a minute, Bowling, aka the only reason I'm probably buying this game because of memories playing Wii Sports Bowling with my family, is only TWO PLAYERS?!??!?!?!?

WTF!!!

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ok let's say this does get updates/dlc since it's an easy to add to package and Nintendo has shown support for a lot of games. What games would you like to see added?
For me probably the stratego and Battleship knockoffs from the ds game. Perhaps throw in the checkered game of life as that should be in the public domain(it's from the 1800's!)

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Some of the games only being 2 players I do think is a little odd. I thought at first that bowling being limited to 2 players might have been a choice made so that games don't potentially run too long for online play, yet...depending on how they handle scoring systems and the like, stuff like Mahjong would likely last just as long if not longer online and that's built for 2 players. I can't imagine any technical reasons for stuff like bowling and darts to be player-limited so it's got to be some kind of intentional choice...

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ok let's say this does get updates/dlc since it's an easy to add to package and Nintendo has shown support for a lot of games. What games would you like to see added?
For me probably the stratego and Battleship knockoffs from the ds game. Perhaps throw in the checkered game of life as that should be in the public domain(it's from the 1800's!)
Go

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
The things that jumped to mind for me would be Mexican Train (a domino game), and on the card game front either Cad or some form of Rummy. All of these have become mainstays among my family when we're on camp-vacation during the summer. Mille Bornes too, but I don't think that's a game that would translate as well to the Clubhouse Games' overall style.

I've been trying to think back to what other classic board or tabletop games I played back in the day but I feel like most all of those have already been covered here.