• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Descanza en paz hermano, estamos en contact.

Gus was a big part of my childhood, I remember watching Nintendomania all the time and buying every issue of club nintendo, a great loss.

peramic

Jun 6, 2018
My dad would buy me every issue of Club Nintendo back in the day. My parents probably still have a few boxes full of those magazines. It was a huge part of my childhood and the reason I got into videogames.

Descansa en paz, Gus :'(

vixlar

Dec 5, 2017
After he left the magazine and the tv show he didn't attend the E3 anymore... until he was invited for another show. I think it was two years ago. He was the star for Latin American reporters there. And even Shigeru Miyamoto was happy to see him again.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Cago en diez, que pena! Me fui a vivir a Mexico en el 94 para hacer la secundaria y era super fan de Club Nintendo, su influencia era tal que no tenia ni idea de la PSX o la Saturn en esos dias. Magnifica revista y todavia tengo muchas copias conmigo en casa. Especialmente que encantaban sus reportajes del Soshinkai o E3, fue ahi la primera vez que escuche sobre Chrono Trigger, Front Mission y Earthbound

En la revista, el salia con su nombre? Quizas Axy o Spot?

Eso si, todo hay que decirlo, vi Nintendomania desde el primer episodio y numca me gusto :P Aun asi tener un programa de videojuegos televisado en esos dias

Una gran perdida, descanse en paz

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
I used to buy a lot Club Nintendo magazines back in the day, and I remember getting really excited every month going out and try to find them (it wasn't that easy), and I read them multiple times, big part of my childhood and one of the main reasons I love videogames so much.

I still have some of them with me, he will be missed.

Que en paz descanse

rokero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Que en paz descanse, club nintendo was such an important part of my life

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017

The Nintendomanía cast just got reunited a few months ago for an episode of the youtube show Game Volution. I'm gonna watch this tonight.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Club Nintendo siempre será una parte importante de mi infancia, hay tantos juegos que nunca hubiera conocido sin esa revista. Quien sabe si estaría aquí en este momento si no hubiera sido por ella. Gracias.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
RIP Gus, you will be missed.

I'm from Chile, and when I was younger, the first thing I did when I got some money from my parents was go and buy Club Nintendo, it was a must have for any Nintendo enthuasiast in Latin America. I always remember the guides they had - in particular, one for Super Mario Sunshine and the special coins in a time all guides were in English, so you were screwed if you didn't master the language....

darknil

Oct 25, 2017
RIP legend.

This guy defined my gaming childhood, I used to get Club Nintendo every month even if it was generally a month old, since me being from Colombia and then living on a small town, the fact that the magazine reached a store there was amazing.
His whole coverage of the E3 around the Nintendo 64 launch made me beg my parents for a Nintendo 64 and the magazine's guides for Ocarina of Time made me save up my allowance in order to buy that game.

I was so happy last year finding that Gus still produced content.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know a single gamer in Mexico who didn't know who Gus Rodriguez was. He will be forever in my head synonymous of Club Nintendo.

RIP Legend.

Oct 29, 2017
Damn, even Charles Martinet knew the guy and considered him a friend. Club Nintendo had such a big role in me becoming the gamer I am today, this is a huge loss for the latin american gaming community... que en paz descanse.

FCJO

Dec 17, 2019
Wow, so so young. I never knew about the people behind the magazine but I was always a huge fan of it so reading this makes me really sad. May he rest in peace and much love to his family and friends. Such a great work, he did!

Just in case: I'm not from Mexico, I'm from Chile. Yeah, he was really that big.

I think he at least deserves a tweet by NoA, they really don't know how big Club Nintendo was here.

Oh, I'm from Chile too. I actually got to buy the latest magazines for my little brother and I, including the ones with the posters that form the big mural from Super Smash Bros Ultimate and I was truly sad when they stopped. I used to read the Club Nintendo Twitter hoping for some revival that sadly never become a reality.

Thank you for informing us all about this. I really appreciate it.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Club Nintendo was huge in Latam back during the GCN, GBA and DS days. I still have several of my magazines, used to buy them religiously every month, but I stopped around 2012 or so I believe. Descansa en paz, Gus.
Edit: All of my magazines are in my other house, which I can't go to right now because of the lockdown. If I get the chance to go soon, I'll make sure to take them out and read some of them, just for nostalgia's sake.
My first approach to Club Nintendo was in 2000, when I was transferred to a Peruvian-Japanese school and made friends whose parents were in Japan and would send them all sorts of videogame-related stuff. Every Friday, without fail, right after school a bunch of us would go to a friend's house to play stuff like Smash, Bomberman, Mario Kart, Mario Party and Pokémon Stadium from like 3 pm straight to 8 or 9 pm, my friend collected the magazines and that's how I came to know about them, so I started buying them as well. Ah man, I was so happy back then and I didn't even know it... reading Club Nintendo through those years, especially between the DS and Wii age was amazing.

Last edited:

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I just found out about this and honestly it's hitting me in a way I didn't expect. He was such a huge influence in my gaming life, since the N64 days I followed Club Nintendo religiously, even if we got the issues with like a 1 month delay here in Costa Rica. Just remembering all the games he got me to try, it's amazing the influence he had.

I don't think I'd be as much of a Nintendo fan, or even be here on Era if it wasn't for Club Nintendo, Gus or his infectious enthusiasm and love for everything Nintendo.

Gracias por todo Gus :(

Cess007

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
As most has said already, the impact that Gus Rodriguez (as well as Nintendomania, and Club Nintendo) had in anyone who liked this hobby in Mexico and a lot of Spanish-speaking countries can't be stated enough. Meeting him on a E3 was one of my happiest gamer memories.

2020 sucks :(

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
The fact that we've got people from all over LatAm mourning his passing shows how important his legacy was. I'm also Chilean and, as I said, CN magazines were a big part of my childhood.

Though, I gotta be honest, I really disliked when the Chilean edition of Club Nintendo ceased production suddenly in 99/2000 (IIRC) and we started getting the mexican edition - it was a bit jarring for me to see a bigger version of magazine but filled with mexican references and slang from out of nowhere. Like, one month we had the local edition and then next month we started getting the mexican one and that was that.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Todavía tengo la camisa de Gameboy micro que el y pepe firmaron. La firma de Gus (un Mario que dibujó) ya casi no se ve, pero todavía conservo esa camisa como recuerdo.

Descansa en paz Gus.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The fact that we've got people from all over LatAm mourning his passing shows how important his legacy was. I'm also Chilean and, as I said, CN magazines were a big part of my childhood.

Though, I gotta be honest, I really disliked when the Chilean edition of Club Nintendo ceased production suddenly in 99/2000 (IIRC) and we started getting the mexican edition - it was a bit jarring for me to see a bigger version of magazine but filled with mexican references and slang from out of nowhere. Like, one month we had the local edition and then next month we started getting the mexican one and that was that.
Oh, I had no idea this was a thing. So there were 2 versions of the magazine every month?

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Oh, I had no idea this was a thing. So there were 2 versions of the magazine every month?

we had a Chilean edition which was, I guess, a bit leaner? I think they mostly converted most of the slang into neutral spanish, had local (Chilean) ads and, huh... probably had Chilean letters to the editor amidst the Mexican ones. I might be wrong though.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
revista-club-nintendo-1999-9-hybrid-heaven-D_NQ_NP_801517-MLM26519016617_122017-F.jpg

Club Nintendo was THE reason I expected so hyped Hybrid Heaven and delivered so much for me, still one of my favorite N64 games.

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
I'm from Colombia, and I used to read a lot of Club Nintendo. I remember back when I played Pokemon Firered for the first time as a kid, I completely missed the map and never picked it up, so I basically used the map from the magazine to guide myself in the game.

R.I.P.

Jerichox

Mar 14, 2018
Club Nintendo magazines are a really really big part of my childhood. I still have a lot of them in my parents house.
Q.E.P.D Gus
Oh i really dislike that too. And i Always remember that one time in the mexican magazine they put that the chileans agents (ace and ryo i think) send a message for the chileans readers and never put it.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Club Nintendo magazines are a really really big part of my childhood. I still have a lot of them in my parents house.
Q.E.P.D Gus

Oh i really dislike that too. And i Always remember that one time in the mexican magazine they put that the chileans agents (ace and ryo i think) send a message for the chileans readers and never put it.

yeah, that sucked. There was no goodbye, no explanation, nothing really.

This was the last issue of the Chilean Edition of Club Nintendo (October 1999)

EF5ydsTX0AcFgJx

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gus Rodriguez defined a generation of Nintendo gamers in Latin America, here is an English retrospective of his work for those who want to read as t ok why Nintendomania changed and made a generation of gamers today in Mexico and Latin America https://miscrave.com/articles/Nintendomania/

Sadly there isn't much more content in English

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Club Nintendo was how I learned about many games and always bought them each month, rest in peace

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I felt the same way, once they switched from the Chilean to the Mexican Edition, the magazine felt way different than what I was used to. I also stopped buying the magazines a few months after the they switch editions, also because at that time, the internet was popular enough for everyone to be updated on the latest gaming news as soon as they came.

I clearly remember that, but at the time I just thought I missed the magazine the month with the chilean agents message, since they never mentioned it anymore. I really wanted to read it.

Last edited:

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Descansa en paz, Gus.

I used to collect Club Nintendo when I was a child, even if I didn't have the consoles. Searching for the rombus was the first thing we did in my house when an issue came out.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Cause of death has been revealed by his son: lung cancer.

Edit: Javier Rodriguez has confirmed trough IG it was not the cancer itself, but a complication related to a medication taken last friday.

Last edited:

ResolutionX

Oct 26, 2017

entrevista con Javier, donde dice algunos "pendientes" dejados por su padre.... lo del dibujo está bien cabron, me salió la lagrimita

Oct 25, 2017
The video where Javier "El Chavo", Gus' son, speaks to the fans, reveals the reason behind Gus' passing, and also reveals an audio recording where Gus makes his last request to his fans.

Hearing Gus like that.... My heart breaks and cries... Adiós, maestro...