• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Any interest I had for a sequel died with their half-assed attempts to make some Cloverfield cinematic universe or whatever...

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Lane was entertaining enough that I'd give that approach a pass for the franchise trying different stories, but Paradox burned all that goodwill to the ground.

A legit sequel to the original may be interesting, but I feel like it's a desperate attempt to revitalize a brand that they already squandered by trying to push other unrelated projects from the production company under the branding.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in and about time. That's all that everyone wanted to begin with.

Space Gomez

Oct 28, 2017
Any interest I had for a sequel died with their half-assed attempts to make some Cloverfield cinematic universe or whatever...

IIRC someone attached to 10 Cloverfield Lane said they weren't necessarily trying to make a sequel, or even a cinematic universe. They said to think of 10 Cloverfield Lane and Cloverfield as two different rides at the same theme park. I think that's kind of a cool idea and would love to see more of that theme park.

Haven't seen Paradox so I don't know if they're sticking to that.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Paramount once again with their finger on the pulse of what audiences want......ten years ago.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
At one point it was going to be a Cloverfield movie, but in the end they released it as its own thing.

Overlord is dope btw

It's a good movie but I was secretly hoping it would have gone one step further at the end and had the serum come from some chained-up Clovie. I'm sure they would have fucked it up, but I really enjoyed 10CL going totally gonzo at the end, so I think with a careful hand it could've worked.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally the story of Slusho and seabed nectar or whatever the fuck that ARG was going on about can be told

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I consider 10 Cloverfield Lane a sequel. It's damn good, better than Cloverfield IMO. I'd love an actual sequel to that.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
As the other user said, the problem with Cloverfield Lane (even though Lane is really good) and Paradox is they weren't filmed to be Cloverfield movie, they later got branded as Cloverfield with a few new scenes added in to make it "Cloverfield".

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There is a really weird ass exec in Hollywood that is obsessed with this franchise for some reason. It's just slapping the name on random ass shit.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This still isn't a "franchise" to me, no matter how many people I have to argue with about 10 Cloverfield Lane. It's not a Cloverfield movie. It's completely different from Cloverfield.

I loved Cloverfield, and I'm disappointed we still haven't got a proper sequel.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I honestly really like the idea of Cloverfield being "The Twilight Zone, except for films". A bunch of stories that share similar themes (such as how the first two are sci-fi disaster films except from a single person's small, limited perspective), but aren't connected story-wise.

Paradox may have been terrible, but I don't think I want a direct sequel to the original and to give up on the "cinematic vignettes" idea.

Coleslaw

Nov 3, 2018
I loved the first when it came out and while I still enjoy it, it's showing it's age. I thought Lane was well made but it has so little connection and no Clover so I'm pretty meh on it. I loved Paradox though. It's wacky as shit but the implications and especially the ending endeared it to me.

VERY excited for this.

Thank you! I know Paradox isn't well-loved but damn 29 replies in. I loved it too, honestly it's probably my favorite of the three? Enjoyed them all though, and one thing I like the most is how they're all so significantly different, but all tie in to this macabre world that (so far) we have only gotten like vertical slices of. I'm almost more worried if they are going to move away from that, but definitely excited nonetheless.

Irmavep

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly really like the idea of Cloverfield being "The Twilight Zone, except for films". A bunch of stories that share similar themes (such as how the first two are sci-fi disaster films except from a single person's small, limited perspective), but aren't connected story-wise.

Paradox may have been terrible, but I don't think I want a direct sequel to the original and to give up on the "cinematic vignettes" idea.
For real, the anthology aspect was what made this series interesting for me (loved the first two). Even Overlord could be a solid third entry. Shame about them completely dropping this and going for a full sequel to the original.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

As do I but don't call it cloverfield. Halloween tried and it didn't work. These feel like standalone movies that are re-written to shoe horn in the universe. The Conjuring series does a better job at what they are trying to do.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
As do I but don't call it cloverfield. Halloween tried and it didn't work. These feel like standalone movies that are re-written to shoe horn in the universe.
It didn't work for Halloween because it was the early 80's and there wasn't broad marketing. People just went in expecting more Michael Myers.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
For a second I thought of Joey Barton and was really, really confused.
I enjoyed most of the previous Cloverfield stuff, so I will give it a shot.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I can't lie - the first movie did something special for me and I really enjoyed it in the theater. Rewatched a bunch of times at home afterwards for all the little detail shit. I liked how weird it was too. Decently fucked up.

A sequel in a documentary fashion or something to compliment the found footage style of the first movie could be cool. Like made by the army on how to fight Cloverfield style monsters.

Anyways, i'm in

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
Yes! I'm down for more monster movies.

I loved the first when it came out and while I still enjoy it, it's showing it's age. I thought Lane was well made but it has so little connection and no Clover so I'm pretty meh on it. I loved Paradox though. It's wacky as shit but the implications and especially the ending endeared it to me.

VERY excited for this.
Same for me, Lane wasn't bad but I wanted more Clover, at least they had a monster in it. Paradox is weird but I like the ending and what the implictaion of what the experiment did.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
How does Cloverfield really have a direct sequel? There was a nuke dropped on NYC in the movie
The monster isn't dead from the bombing. After the credits there's audio played that, when you run it backwards, says the monster survived. So the sequel, assuming it's actually a sequel and not the idea they've been talking about of "the same night from a different POV" would be in a nuclear wasteland NY with a wounded and or angry Clover, which is a BABY by the way, going on a rampage looking for its mother.

IIRC someone attached to 10 Cloverfield Lane said they weren't necessarily trying to make a sequel, or even a cinematic universe. They said to think of 10 Cloverfield Lane and Cloverfield as two different rides at the same theme park. I think that's kind of a cool idea and would love to see more of that theme park.

Haven't seen Paradox so I don't know if they're sticking to that.
Yeah this is exactly what it was. Probably would have worked better if the movies had been designed ground up as other rides instead of brought in from other parks but IMO was still a cool attempt.

Has any other movie series done something like this? I mean I know we have the MCU but I mean a series of movies that have connections to each other but aren't direct sequels.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Here's all the in-universe military notes that's in the Cloverfield Blu-Ray; I always thought these were a fun read

Google Sites: Sign-in

Access Google Sites with a personal Google account or Google Workspace account (for business use).

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Guess I'm the only one that thought the first was lame and the second two were great.

If it's more found footage it can fuck right off.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like, an actual Cloverfield sequel I'd be interested in. Not another multiverse install, though.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if because it won't be found footage we get some of the worldbuilding stuff that was all in the ARG on websites? I mean it would work as a parallel storyline in the movie with the world's governments trying to figure out where the hell Clover came from.