• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Cloverfield’ Sequel in the Works With Batman TV Spinoff Showrunner (Exclusive)

J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot banner and Paramount Pictures have tapped rising British scribe Joe Barton to pen the script for a sequel to 'Cloverfield.'

Cloverfield, the J. J. Abrams-produced horror hit released in 2008 that launched filmmaker Matt Reeves on the path of genre auteur, is getting a sequel.

Abrams' Bad Robot banner and Paramount Pictures have tapped rising British scribe Joe Barton to pen the script for the project, which, unlike its predecessor, will not be in the found footage format, according to sources.

Barton created and wrote the East-meets-West crime drama Giri/Haji BBC Two/Netflix. But he recently made headlines when he stepped in as showrunner for HBO Max's Batman-themed Gotham City Police Department crime show after Terence Winter, the previous showrunner, departed over creative differences.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I actually rolled my eyes. After Paradox, no, you don't deserve another chance Clover.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
All we've ever wanted was a sequel to the 2008 monster movie. NOT god damned Paradox NOT cloverfield lane. We want the monster bashing up a city. That is it.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
This one feels different, since it's being planned as a cloverfield movie from the beginning. PLUS, the talent behind it has me really excited. Everyone needs to check out Giri/Haji on Netflix, it really didn't get the attention it deserved!

Oct 25, 2017
id say everything outside of 'the cloverfield paradox' has been pretty neat
I know I saw that movie because I saw it in an early preview that evidently had some notable differences from the final cut
but I honestly cannot remember it at all
I remember there was a space station I think
and I think the main character was a lady
and maybe there was a tornado or something
That's all I got

Although I remember the first cloverfield and 10 cloverfield lane pretty well, those were both good fun

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
First two were really enjoyable to me. The third was fine as a movie I watched when I was fairly tipsy and full of nachos right after the super bowl.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I know I saw that movie because I saw it in an early preview that evidently had some notable differences from the final cut
but I honestly cannot remember it at all
I remember there was a space station I think
and I think the main character was a lady
and maybe there was a tornado or something
That's all I got
'paradox' had a few interesting ideas that it completely botched with shoddy writing and some really odd performances

felt like a forgettable, unfunny parody of Alien mixed with The Thing

Rickelodeon

Oct 25, 2017
If we count Overlord, ( it really was this close to being released as a Cloverfield branded movie iirc) which was dope, franchise has been good so far, would be down to see a true sequel to the og especially if the reports are accurate

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
I actually rolled my eyes. After Paradox, no, you don't deserve another chance Clover.

This sounds like it's a from-the-ground-up sequel though, Paradox was an unrelated script & footage they tacked minor Cloverfield references to to try and franchise it.

The film was based on God Particle, a spec script from Oren Uziel which had the main plot of the space station crew, but was unconnected to Cloverfield. The script was acquired by Paramount Pictures and Bad Robot in 2012. It had been initially planned as part of Paramount's low-budget InSurge distribution label, but following the folding of that label, its production was expanded as a Paramount-distributed film. Only during production did Abrams decide to link the film to Cloverfield, adapting Uziel's screenplay and adding scenes to establish the connection, after the same approach was used to alter 10 Cloverfield Lane from its original script, The Cellar. Abrams saw the particle accelerator accident as a cinematic means for future events to cause changes in the past, narratively linking the Cloverfield franchise together.

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
So we're done with this pseudo/spiritual sequel bullshit? We'll see how it is but I feel Cloverfield Paradox adn the ending of Cloverfield lane really burnt alot of goodwill.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
I loved the first when it came out and while I still enjoy it, it's showing it's age. I thought Lane was well made but it has so little connection and no Clover so I'm pretty meh on it. I loved Paradox though. It's wacky as shit but the implications and especially the ending endeared it to me.

VERY excited for this.

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
10 Cloverfield Lane and The Cloverfield Paradox were not films that were shot as part of any Cloverfield franchise, but were acquired by the production company and branded with the Cloverfield name. An actual, intentionally made sequel is welcome news.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
CL10 was way too good, even if not completely a CL movie.

I actually watched Paradox again a few days ago out of boredom lol, and was checking up to see if there was any new CL movies in the works. Man, what could've been.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Been rewatching them this week. Thank Christ. I absolutely love them, especially the first. The ARG was just great

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
First one was fine for what it was, but really doesn't hold up to repeat viewings. Everything good about the second movie had nothing to do with the series as a whole. Third one was a disaster.

I think I'm good.

May 24, 2019
The director of Paradox followed it up quickly with one of my favourite movies of 2019, so I'm glad his young career wasn't crippled by that piece of shit.

edit: Or I hope it hasn't. I dunno what he's been up to since Luce.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Should be alright neflix filler. They'll probably write this one into the ground like paradox and offload when it becomes a bit of a hot mess.

Shat the bed after the first one, which I cant watch again due to the waaay too loud sound mix and ultra shaky cam everywhere.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017