• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which level are you?

Votes: 769 80.9%

Votes: 81 8.5%

Votes: 11 1.2%

Votes: 13 1.4%

Votes: 76 8.0%

• Total voters

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
idk about famous artists, but the artist who made a video about it is a 5.

honest question, are software engineers more likely to have aphantasia/be a 5? As someone with a strong visual imagination, everything became easy for me when I started to imagine the data structures and algorithms as shapes and objects and numbers moving around in my head.
Im just thinking that having aphantasia would have less of an effect on software engineers. Since internal visualization isn't super neccessary . Are there famous movie/game directors with it?

Im a 1, sometimes a 0. There's certain times when i can close my eyes and visu6al certain things on my eyelids instead of in my minds eye

DigitalT

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely a 1, helps that I've been regularly visualizing entire stories or scenes in my head since I was young. Makes listening to music kinda hard though cause I always feel like I have to have an appropriate scene playing in my head.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw a dancing apple with Mickey Mouse shoes and oven mitt hands. I'm not sure what that says about me

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the insights! I didn't mean to make a blind assumption.
I wonder what exactly this function is in the brain and how it relates to overall visual memory? For example, if you rate yourself a five on this scale, what is it that comes to mind if you are asked to draw an image from memory?

You don't have to answer, I'm just genuinely curious. Maybe it's the opposite from what I thought, and visualization can actually get in the way of the physical act of drawing.
I don't think it does. It's not that just because I can't visualize something doesn't mean I can't think it up and draw it. I'm not sure how much of an integral role it plays in the creative process.

Sly Chimera

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
so like what do you do if you are a 5 and you need to picture someone that another person is talking about.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
honest question, are software engineers more likely to have aphantasia/be a 5? As someone with a strong visual imagination, everything became easy for me when I started to imagine the data structures and algorithms as shapes and objects and numbers moving around in my head.
For me, being able to visualize routes helps me navigate.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
This is just like the other day when my wife told me some people don't have internal monologue.

As for the apple not only do I see a fully detailed apple but I see it in My hand and partially feel it's weight and texture. In the background are some trees rustling in the wind.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a definite hard over #1, but also with constant verbal dialog with myself.

Those of you that are #5, are your dreams visual at all?

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
I seriously have no idea if I'm a 1 or a 5. I don't quite get what's the expected behaviour.

Is this thing related to face blindness because I have a really hard time recognizing people when they don't "appear" in their usual context?

ClockworkOwl

Banned
Feb 1, 2020
I'm a 2, but without the stem. I simply don't care about details when I visualize things and I go for a basic shape with simple colours.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I can visualise only a small part at a time if I concentrate on "drawing" that part of the image with my mind. I find it extremely difficult to imagine the image in full. Can anybody explain this to me please?

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I'm so confused.

Who the hell would imagine 3 or 4 if told to imagine an apple? How the heck can you NOT visualize an apple at all?

I'm dumbfounded by anyone who picks 3-5.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Definitely a 1. Shiny Gala apple that was for some reason sitting on a white tile counter in a white kitchen with a window in the background and greenery outside.

Edit: No leaf on the apple. When was the last time you saw an apple in the real world with a single leaf attached to the stem?

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This topic always confuses me.

I'm pretty sure I'm a 1 because I can picture the apple and it looks like an actual picture of an apple.

But I don't literally see it like I was looking at it, as if there was actually light coming into my eyes.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm a silent void inside my head unless I'm actively doing something and it was a shock to learn where the "psychics get bombarded by noisy people" trope comes form. Can still visualize images/sounds though.

Really? I cannot shut off my mind. Constantly speaking. There is not a moment of silence while I am awake even if I try.

By the way, the answer to the question is 1. And 3D, rotating. But I choose a green apple before entering the thread.

Edited: and I don't need to close my eyes to picture it. Actually I guess it is even easier with my eyes opened.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
1 but I don't have to close my eyes to see it. I can have vivid day dreams with my eyes open . To the point where the real world is pretty much gone. Wish I could draw or at least worked on my writting.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
It always amazes me that just by being a 1, I essentially have a superpower compared to people for whom 5 is normal.

Raleigh00

Oct 27, 2017
1 for me, but one of my first jobs was stocking/sampling produce. Also enlightened a previous IT coworker that there are "different" apples. Always made fun of his ass for eating red delicious apples...he thought all apples were the same. 🤣

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Numero uno, baby.

I spent some time picturing different apples and eventually just ended up visualising Anakin Skywalker cutting a slice out of an apple with a knife and fork and then levitating it over to Padme. (Yes I realise that he originally did this with a pear.)

My brain is diseased.

This cracked me up good.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The 1 pic is actually less detailed than the one I was thinking of. Mine had those slightly yellowish stains and spots.

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
I draw and paint and am a 5. That probably explains why I need so many guidelines to get things right when I start.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm a silent void inside my head unless I'm actively doing something and it was a shock to learn where the "psychics get bombarded by noisy people" trope comes form. Can still visualize images/sounds though.

This is not at all something I would have expected from someone that I've seen post in (and respond to me way back when) in the ADD/ADHD topic.

I can't shut my brain off at all, unless I'm drunk. It's like a constant monologue (if not dialogue, honestly), mixed with pictures, mixed with some hybrid. All the time.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
This topic always confuses me.

I'm pretty sure I'm a 1 because I can picture the apple and it looks like an actual picture of an apple.

But I don't literally see it like I was looking at it, as if there was actually light coming into my eyes.
It's about picturing things in your mind from what I understand, aphantasia is supposed to be you're not able to do that.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
So does that mean 5's cannot see people's faces in their minds?
They can't visualize themselves with their loved ones?
They can't visualize an exciting event?

How does memory work for y'all? I don't understand!

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
I'm a 1. My friend and I were just talking about this today. She's a 5 and we are amazed by each other. We also found out she can't hear sounds in her head/doesn't hear the words she thinks. Meanwhile I have full-on concerts and novel-length monologues with myself in my head and I can never shut it off.
Damn what the duck I couldn't imagine not talking to my self... how else would I keep a hold of my depression if it wasn't for my inner voice 😂😂

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a 1. My friend and I were just talking about this today. She's a 5 and we are amazed by each other. We also found out she can't hear sounds in her head/doesn't hear the words she thinks. Meanwhile I have full-on concerts and novel-length monologues with myself in my head and I can never shut it off.

She doesn't visualize AND she doesn't have a running dialogue in her head? I genuinely cannot comprehend what that is like. Those experiences are how i would describe the act of thinking... i guess im too limited in my understanding of thought. The human brain is wild.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I can't shut my brain off at all, unless I'm drunk. It's like a constant monologue (if not dialogue, honestly), mixed with pictures, mixed with some hybrid. All the time.

This is me, less the drunk part, when drunk the dialogue just gets crazier.

The only way to "shut down" the dialogue is when I am singing in my mind (usually a catchy song) and even so sometimes the song is just overlap with the monologue.

I thought everyone was like that.

How does she think? Genuinely curious about how she describes her thoughts, the way you described it just reminds me of a void.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I can't see anything. I've done this sort of experiment before and it's impossible for me to do mental imaging. Probably has something to do with my complete inability to draw as well. Daydreaming is a completely different affair though. There will be entire scenes that I can see and interact with when I daydream, but I can't recall stuff on command.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a 1. But is it because I'm an artist? Then again, I've always had a pretty fantastic memory.

I can't see anything. I've done this sort of experiment before and it's impossible for me to do mental imaging. Probably has something to do with my complete inability to draw as well.

I don't think it is related to memory. I am both artist and engineer, can picture anything in my head (images, sounds, 3D objects, maps, smells) but I have a terrible memory, almost gold fish level.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a 1. But is it because I'm an artist? Then again, I've always had a pretty fantastic memory.
I can't see anything. I've done this sort of experiment before and it's impossible for me to do mental imaging. Probably has something to do with my complete inability to draw as well. Daydreaming is a completely different affair though. There will be entire scenes that I can see and interact with when I daydream, but I can't recall stuff on command.
Its already been pointed out being a 5 does not affect the ability to draw.