• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I have been thinking long and hard about what sort of environmental activism I can do locally.
And walking home from yoga through the burbs it hit me. All those pretty manicured lawns are an environmental disaster, for a multitude of reasons.
I am thinking this is something individual home owners could actually take on and improve on.
I envision it as being primarily an educational exercise, I bet most lawn owners are unaware how environmentally unfriendly their pretty front lawn is. So some well made flyers and an organized door knocking campaign would potentially be a good start. Or in spring one could hand out wild flower seeds to spread in the garden.

To that end is anyone aware of organizations that tackle that, which I could latch on to? No need to re-invent the wheel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
The newly developed method sucks CO2 molecules out of the air, without expending much energy in the process. The material can then potentially be turned into an ingredient for packaging or clothing.

The secret weapon is a porous coordination polymer (PCP) made up of zinc metal ions.

Those ions are able to selectively capture CO2 molecules with 10 times greater efficiency than other PCPs, the scientists say. What's more, the material is reusable, and was still running at maximum efficiency after 10 reaction cycles.

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Wind power has surpassed coal for the first time in Texas, according to a new report.
The numbers cap an enormous rise in wind power in the nation's top energy-producing state over the past decades.
Wind has generated 22% of the state's electrical needs this year. It just edged out coal, which provided 21% of the Lone Star State's power, according to the Electrical Reliability Council of Texas, which manages electrical flow on about 90% of the Texan grid.
Sixteen years ago, in 2003, wind made up just 0.8% of the state's power, and coal satisfied 40% of electrical needs, the council documents show.

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Engineers develop a new way to remove carbon dioxide from air
The process could work on the gas at any concentrations, from power plant emissions to open air

"This binary affinity allows capture of carbon dioxide from any concentration, including 400 parts per million, and allows its release into any carrier stream, including 100 percent CO2," Voskian says. That is, as any gas flows through the stack of these flat electrochemical cells, during the release step the captured carbon dioxide will be carried along with it.

The researchers have set up a company called Verdox to commercialize the process, and hope to develop a pilot-scale plant within the next few years, he says. And the system is very easy to scale up, he says: "If you want more capacity, you just need to make more electrodes."

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
If you have land plant empress trees, a single acre of these trees can absorb up to 100 tons of CO2 annually. They are carbon sucking machines.

"The Empress Splendor tree sequesters 11 times more carbon than any other tree. In fact, it is so efficient that the average North American would only need to plant 1 acre of trees to offset their carbon footprint for fifty years."

Fuck carbon neutral, go carbon negative my ERA brothers and sisters.
Has anyone here invested with them? I am thinking of buying in as a carbon offset for my transatlantic flight home to Europe next year.

Just watching their video on https://wefunder.com/worldtree

One acre of empress trees absorbs on average 103 metric tones of carbon. So for $3000 you can carbon offset quite a few years with that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
New charging technique could power an electric car battery in 10 minutes

Now, researchers report they can prevent this breakdown, and allow fast charging, if the heat is added just for short periods. By heating up a charging device to 60°C for just 10 minutes, they were able to speed the incorporation of lithium ions into layers of graphite that make up the anode (as shown in the above artist's representation), the key step in recharging the battery.

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Momentum Builds for Hydrogen Fuel in Japan, Australia
Lowered costs and the availability of renewable energy to produce hydrogen are raising interest in the fuel source

To the delight of environmentalists, Wilson's company said it would use South Australia's abundant renewable energy resources to split the hydrogen from water via proton-exchange membrane technology. Climate change activists in Australia support hydrogen as a transportation fuel but decry that much of it is produced from fossil fuels.

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Europe's switch to electric cars is accelerating. Honda is advancing its plans by 3 years

London (CNN Business)Europeans who want to buy a Honda powered exclusively by gasoline or diesel need to act quickly.
The Japanese carmaker announced Wednesday that it will sell only electric and hybrid vehicles in Europe starting in 2022, three years earlier than previously planned.
Honda (HMC) said that the accelerated timetable reflects its confidence in green technology and regulatory changes that have upended the industry in Europe.
"The pace of change in regulation, the market, and consumer behavior in Europe means that the shift towards electrification is happening faster here than anywhere else," said Tom Gardner, senior vice president at Honda.

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Italian council is flooded immediately after rejecting measures on climate change

"Ironically, the chamber was flooded two minutes after the majority League, Brothers of Italy, and Forza Italia parties rejected our amendments to tackle climate change," Zanoni, who is deputy chairman of the environment committee, said in the post, which also has photographs of the room under water.

Getting flooded to own the greens

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Philadelphia Magazine published a list detailing the top ten most urgent recommendations to combat climate change in Philly. Thoughts? As ol' PA's one of the country's largest carbon-polluters, it's certainly a concern for me as a Pennsylvanian.

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Pretty cool!

Harvard and Yale students disrupt football game for fossil fuel protest
Students began campaigning in 2012 for both universities to stop investing in oil and gas companies that contribute to climate crisis

3528.jpg

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Ontario, Saskatchewan and New Brunswick will work together to research and build small modular reactors

Before everyone goes into panic mode, the Cons won't develop the reators themselves. They will be using the technology by private company ARC Nuclear :

ARC-100-Reactor.png

The mission of Advanced Reactor Concepts, L.L.C. (ARC) is to commercialize a disruptive new technology for power generation in the form of an advanced small modular nuclear reactor. The reactor will produce 100 MWe of energy, be factory-built and offer the customer fixed fuel costs for 20+ years.

The ARC reactor (known as the ARC-100) can be used for distributed power, incremental capacity additions, load following, and base load applications. Additionally, because of its size, dispatch flexibility and robust safety features, the ARC reactor will be an attractive option for non-traditional uses, such as water desalination, shale oil extraction and hydrogen production.

The non-proliferation features of the ARC-100 make it suitable for deployment anywhere in the world. The reactor's design creates a "walk away" passive safety system that insures the reactor will never melt down even in a disaster that causes a complete loss of power to the plant site. Moreover, the 20-year fueling cycle gives the customer a high level of energy security, while outsourcing the complexity of fueling operation.

With its efficient use of resources and self-incineration of nuclear waste, the ARC reactor fully supports the sustainable development goals of countries and markets that might not otherwise have any effective options.

The ARC-100 is based on technology proven by over 30 years of successful operation of the EBR-II, an experimental program operated by the U.S. government. The basic EBR-II technology has been enhanced by ARC through numerous, significant proprietary innovations (for which patents have been granted and applied) to create a "Fourth Generation" solution that will have wide applicability in both the US and export markets around the world.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I'm reading that the COP 25 accord is postponed, again, since the text the presidency proposed is so bad it was rejected by everyone. It's basically a step back in climate change fight

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
I'm reading that the COP 25 accord is postponed, again, since the text the presidency proposed is so bad it was rejected by everyone. It's basically a step back in climate change fight

Yep. Trump and the US getting out send a really wrong message to the rest of the world. Shameful.

2 things I get from these failures :

1) It seems we need to step up tech solutions. Carbon capture, new green energies, electric cars, mega batteries, green food production, food engineering for live stocks, hell we should even study some serious geo engineering solutions. Some people will probably tell me we are not getting ourselves out of the problem with tech this time, but it seems we have a better shot with tech than by hoping people change the way they live, and producing countries to dump oil... Sounds like wishfull thinking right now.

2) I have more faith in states / cities than worldwide governments to push changes from bottom up. Cities have a growing power and they can implement changes more quickly and efficiently, not only to reduce emissions but to adapt to coming changes..

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
VANCOUVER, Canada – General Fusion announced that it has successfully closed USD$65 million of Series E equity financing. The financing was led by Temasek, a global investment company headquartered in Singapore.

This USD$65 million of new financing, together with the release of CAD$50 million in additional investment from Canada's Strategic Innovation Fund, enables the Company to formally launch the program to design, construct, and subsequently operate its Fusion Demonstration Plant.

How microgrids and blockchain will transform the energy grid
Renewable energy sources, Internet of Things (IoT) devices, blockchain's immutable ledger and improvements in battery technology are combining to create a whole new form of energy infrastructure—one in which the grid is decentralized and users become producers as well as consumers. The building block of this new infrastructure is the microgrid.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking blockchain >_<

Great news for GF though. There's a handful of groups pursuing small-scale fusion and I think it's within their grasp.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I was under the impression that blockchain was horrible for the environment. At least in the context of bitcoin/altcoin cryptominers. Is that not the case, or is this different?

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
I was under the impression that blockchain was horrible for the environment. At least in the context of bitcoin/altcoin cryptominers. Is that not the case, or is this different?

What is energy consuming is the proof of work protocol. But most blockchain tech are moving to proof of stake which use much less energy.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I'm doing everything I can to leave my career to go work in cogen. If I end up someplace in texas I fully plan on goin in with sunconomy for a 3d printed house and throwing I. Solar panels a d possibly whirlpool generators if theres running water on the property. It's far cheaper, more durable, small carbon footprint and utilities are nearly a non existing bill.

I'm a futurist and so many technologies are available now. I'f I can secure the right area I plan to use them. Either way no matter what else happens I want to go into a cogen plant somewhere.

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
That's cool shaowebb

The Case for Hope in Resisting Climate Change: A Conversation with Michael Mann

He then further notes that the imperative remains, however, convincing individuals currently trapped in despair that there are indeed other ways out – this is a view that is backed by science; there are reasonable numbers that suggest that it would be both pernicious and unnecessarily rash to give into the defeatist mentality that climate change cannot be reverted. Thus humanity ought to brace and prepare for the worst, whilst undertaking any and all possible measures to prevent the worst from coming true in the first place.

"But there is still time to act, and what we find too often these days is that people provide the first half of the science without the second half."

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Well that's a given. Great work on the NY Times to put them all there so everybody can see how shitty they are.

Some good news for a change :

The main reason for the shift from coal? Solar prices have dropped massively, allowing India to shift away from the dirty fossil fuel. (Read his article for a more in-depth look at why this shift has occurred. A need for clean air and water is a big motivator, for one.) Unreliable power supplies have also been a drag for its domestic economic growth.

Buckley points out that Indian prime minister Narendra Modi is planning a fivefold expansion of the electricity generated from renewable energy sources by 2030. Buckley explains:

This means that India is committed to more than meeting the goals of its national contributions in the 2015 Paris Climate Agreement; it is going to 'overdeliver,' in the parlance of economists. This development is all the more astonishing, because just a few years ago India was a villain when it came to coal use; in 2015, Modi's ruling party had wanted to more than double India's mining of coal, to 1.5 billion metric tons by 2020, despite the risks this posed to the climate and the country.
As India benefits from the shift to domestic renewable energy, other emerging market nations are watching, keen to leverage the same benefits for their own countries.

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
While the world will need to reach net zero, those of us who can afford to move faster and go further should do so. That's why today we are announcing an ambitious goal and a new plan to reduce and ultimately remove Microsoft's carbon footprint.

MS-Event-2020-01-Carbon_T8A7561-small-1024x683.jpg

blogs.microsoft.com

Microsoft will be carbon negative by 2030 - The Official Microsoft Blog

The scientific consensus is clear. The world confronts an urgent carbon problem. The carbon in our atmosphere has created a blanket of gas that traps heat and is changing the world’s climate. Already, the planet’s temperature has risen by 1 degree centigrade. If we don’t curb emissions, and...

Last edited:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I ask myself how I can do better with my car. I need a car to drive to work 140km per day (tho the last few month I can work from home because of health reasons). I have an old diesel but there is no real solution other than buying a newer more economical car I guess... I don't like the idea of an electric car in terms of environmental footprint. Hybrid cars are also expensive...

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
I ask myself how I can do better with my car. I need a car to drive to work 140km per day (tho the last few month I can work from home because of health reasons). I have an old diesel but there is no real solution other than buying a newer more economical car I guess... I don't like the idea of an electric car in terms of environmental footprint. Hybrid cars are also expensive...
140km per day is a lot. How is the energy you use produced where you live? If it is green, surely an electric car would be more environmentally friendly than a gasoline car over the course of it's lifetime.

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018

What do you mean by environmental footprint of an eletric car?
Are thre used ones already availible around where you live?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
140km per day is a lot. How is the energy you use produced where you live? If it is green, surely an electric car would be more environmentally friendly than a gasoline car over the course of it's lifetime.
It depends on the provider, it's easy to switch here but we already have a relatively green provider.

What do you mean by environmental footprint of an eletric car?
Are thre used ones already availible around where you live?
The production mostly.
I looked into used electric cars but they are certainly not as efficient as I want them to be for the distances I would have to drive. And the hybrid cars from a few years back aren't that great either, imo.

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018
It depends on the provider, it's easy to switch here but we already have a relatively green provider.

The production mostly.
I looked into used electric cars but they are certainly not as efficient as I want them to be for the distances I would have to drive. And the hybrid cars from a few years back aren't that great either, imo.

Quick google for the carbon break even point for EV cars is 28k

Here is more indept article which looks quite well cited:
www.carbonbrief.org

Factcheck: How electric vehicles help to tackle climate change

Electric vehicles (EVs) are an important part of meeting global goals on climate change. They feature prominently in mitigation pathways that limit warming to well-below 2C or 1.5C, which would be inline with the Paris Agreement’s targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.