• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have children, don't have a car and don't fly. I bike and walk a lot, use green energy and eat less (red) meat. I also vote for the green party over here (The Netherlands) and eat lots of local stuff. My bank invest in lots of green projects and I buy my games digitally, which means no transport, no disc printing and no plastic casings.

Next step is probably going fully vegetarian.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I care a lot about the environment but also have to drive 80 miles per day to get to work. The train would take 3 times as long and I can't afford an electric car yet.

What can I do really? I can't move house either because my job is at risk and I dont want to move job because there is nothing in my city that pays close to the same wage :/

I do use energy saving bulbs, freeze food to avoid waste and avoid using standby modes.

Deleted member 1445

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What we really should be doing is to convince everyone to take this matter seriously enough -- as in, ban GHG emitting power plants and so on. It needs to happen now, it needs to have happened ages ago actually. Changing our individual consumption, while it helps a bit, doesn't do anything to treat the real cause.

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Anyone have recommendations for relatively eco-friendly dog food? (Sorry if this is not the right thread for this question.)

I care a lot about the environment but also have to drive 80 miles per day to get to work. The train would take 3 times as long and I can't afford an electric car yet.

What can I do really? I can't move house either because my job is at risk and I dont want to move job because there is nothing in my city that pays close to the same wage :/

I do use energy saving bulbs, freeze food to avoid waste and avoid using standby modes.

Check this out and see if it can be of interest to you : https://carbonfund.org/individuals/

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Scientists boost the carbon-capturing abilities of metal-organic frameworks

Metal-organic frameworks are metal compounds with lattice structures that boast nano-sized pores. These pores are quite adept at filtering a variety of chemicals out of water solutions, including heavy metals, hydrogen and even gold.

But metal-organic frameworks, or MOFs, are less effective at gas separation -- until now, that is. Scientists in Switzerland have found a way to make MOFs lattice more rigid, helping the materials capture and separate gas molecules.

Scientists expect the new material to be used to prevent carbon dioxide produced in industrial facilities from entering the atmosphere.

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
ECOSIA VS GOOGLE

Despite Google's management team owning a fleet of jets, the company has used carbon neutral servers since 2017. Ecosia also runs on 100% renewable energy and is building new solar plants as its user base grows.

Since Ecosia uses its profits to plant trees, however, every search with Ecosia actually removes about 1 kg of CO2 from the atmosphere.

Entry added to OP

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
You know, I enter this thread hoping for some hopeful news, only to get doom and gloom every time. Well, mostly from what signal posts.
I mean, you may as well tell people to lie down, give up and die, and that would be the very thing this thread advises against.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

You know, I enter this thread hoping for some hopeful news, only to get doom and gloom every time. Well, mostly from what signal posts.
I mean, you may as well tell people to lie down, give up and die, and that would be the very thing this thread advises against.
Well that sucks but the intent is the opposite. People seeing (and ideally sharing) stories (good and bad) should hopefully encourage others to do what they can to change things. Some will react in a defeatist way but I guess emphasizing the urgency is the point.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Well that sucks but the intent is the opposite. People seeing (and ideally sharing) stories (good and bad) should hopefully encourage others to do what they can to change things. Some will react in a defeatist way but I guess emphasizing the urgency is the point.
People on here tend to more reactionary towards this type of news than anything else. While the urgency might be the point, people tend to take it to the defeatist side because that is what a lot of people talk about here than solutions and being active.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
It shouldn't be about doom and gloom, rather mitigation and adaptation. We''re all.bright enough to cast a critical lense and make our own amends.

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
European Investment Bank proposes end to fossil fuel lending

The European Investment Bank wants to stop funding new fossil fuel-reliant projects by the end of 2020, a draft of the EU lending arm's new energy strategy showed on Friday. The development bank proposed phasing out support to energy projects that were "reliant on fossil fuels: oil and gas production, infrastructure primarily dedicated to natural gas, power generation or heat-based on fossil fuels."

Resistance could potentially come from coal-reliant eastern European Union members or countries such as Italy where the EIB is helping fund the Trans-Adriatic Pipeline for gas.

giphy.gif

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Solar energy projects could replace some of the jobs and tax revenues that may be lost as constrained water supplies force California's agriculture industry to scale back. In the San Joaquin Valley alone, farmers may need to take more than half a million acres out of production to comply with the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act, which will ultimately put restrictions on pumping.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
If you have land plant empress trees, a single acre of these trees can absorb up to 100 tons of CO2 annually. They are carbon sucking machines.

"The Empress Splendor tree sequesters 11 times more carbon than any other tree. In fact, it is so efficient that the average North American would only need to plant 1 acre of trees to offset their carbon footprint for fifty years."

Fuck carbon neutral, go carbon negative my ERA brothers and sisters.

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
If you have land plant empress trees, a single acre of these trees can absorb up to 100 tons of CO2 annually. They are carbon sucking machines.

"The Empress Splendor tree sequesters 11 times more carbon than any other tree. In fact, it is so efficient that the average North American would only need to plant 1 acre of trees to offset their carbon footprint for fifty years."

Holy shit!!! Maximum height 20 feet in a YEAR!?

Although the large size of the Empress Splendor may be a boon for timber plantations, it may prove prohibitive to home gardeners and hobbyist farmers. The large roots of the tree may damage walkways or foundations located within 8 feet of the root system. According to World Tree Technologies, the tree does not tolerate climates below zero degrees Fahrenheit and needs well-drained soil for healthy growth. It is also susceptible to root rot caused by standing water.

Too bad I get some -25C where I live in the winter.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
Great article! I already always mow the lawn on the highest setting (4 cm) and wait too long with mowing (me being lazy), both are apparently positive. We do also have a tiny water pool for birds to drink from, but we've seen a frog in there now and then as well, which is great.

Soon, two roofs (garden sun roof and garage) will be made into green roofs at our place as well, really looking forward to that. The local government (city in the Netherlands) offers subsidies for that, although almost nobody seems to use them unfortunately.

IMO, way more flat roofs around here should become green roofs, especially for people who already have solar panels (on slanted roofs) as well.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's the power of capturing carbon as efficiently as they do.

I've been researching trees to plant on my family's land to help fight climate change and this is what I've settled on. Over time I hope to plant over 100 acres of these trees.
That is cool to hear. I live in Boise, so I don't know if I can plant these.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I live in the tri-state area of NYC. I can't believe that there isn't some sort of initiative or push to equip all of these skyscrapers with solar panels. The entire city should be riddled with them.

Deleted member 56909

Banned
May 21, 2019
underwater
I live in the tri-state area of NYC. I can't believe that there isn't some sort of initiative or push to equip all of these skyscrapers with solar panels. The entire city should be riddled with them.
Wait why isn't that a thing already I walk downtown in Austin and wonder if putting them everywhere aside from the Riverwalk (since it already has pannels) would save the city millions within years of their investment.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Today's Hard Talk with Roger Hallam from extinction rebellion is some interesting listening.
Thanks for sharing, signed up to XR as a result. :)

Greenpeace is pretty bad, however. Their stance on Nuclear and GMOs, especially, betrays the fact that they're not serious about climate change at all.
Perfection is as usually the enemy of progress.
On avarage I am pretty confident that the majority of people who support GP are more likely to be on the right side of history on this overall subject.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

I'm going to look into this, we have a good sized lot.

Edit: It looks like its banned in certain areas and my state has listed it as a potential noxious weed 'monitor' list as an invasive species. HUM.

Last edited:

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Oh that's rad!

The new seaport is beyond fucked if the sea levels keep rising.

I had thought they were doing their best to take rising sea levels into account with all the construction. That said...good. I'm trying to convince my family to flip solar, it's just that the cost is prohibitive until a few things get paid for.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My local paper which is a conservative pos in a red state main article today was about how bad all this weird weather is for all the farmers this season. Fails to mention why aside from "better luck next season!"

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
My local paper which is a conservative pos in a red state main article today was about how bad all this weird weather is for all the farmers this season. Fails to mention why aside from "better luck next season!"

Local papers are something quite easy to contact. Also, by contacting them, you have much more impact since they have a smaller crowd. You could write to them and challenge them. Just a suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.