• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): conspiracy theories
Right, but over how many institutions? There's no coordinated oversight over THIS many outlets. A lot of them at once sometimes yah, but not all of them
Most of them are owned by a few companies that either have holdings in industries against action against gas and oil or they take money in the form of advertisements from natural gas and oil companies.

The same thing happens with the healthcare industries or pro-union campaigns.

The corporate media is against any democratizing force which does not bow to the rights of corporate power.

Journalists who antagonize or report on these things are labeled as fringe. Powerful institutions work to defame and limit the careers of people who actually try to do real damage to corporate power.

staff post - knock off the conspiracy theories

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
How about we NOT with the conspiracy theory crap?

Seriously, this news article in the OP is three hours old. They JUST figured out his motivation. If you want some articles on the event itself when it happened, here's a few:

www.cbsnews.com

Man dies after setting himself on fire in front of the Supreme Court, police say

The court said there were no other injuries, and there does not appear to be a public safety concern.
www.nbcnews.com

Man dies after setting himself on fire in front of Supreme Court building

The Metropolitan Police Department identified the man as Wynn Bruce, of Boulder, Colorado.
abcnews.go.com

Man dies after setting himself on fire outside Supreme Court Building, officials say

A person apparently attempted to set themselves on fire outside of the U.S. Supreme Court Building in Washington, D.C., on Friday.

And then there's the smattering of local outlets that picked it up.

All of this from a 30 second google search.

Everyone needs to stop instantly jumping to conspiracy crap when it suits their own beliefs. CONSPIRACY THEORIES ARE BAD AND WE SHOULD NOT BE GIVING THEM CREDENCE.

Last edited:

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Incredibly sad. I wish he didn't feel that this was needed to get people to combat climate change.

skinny teeth teeth

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 21, 2022
Most of them are owned by a few companies that either have holdings in industries against action against gas and oil or they take money in the form of advertisements from natural gas and oil companies.

The same thing happens with the healthcare industries or pro-union campaigns.

The corporate media is against any democratizing force which does not bow to the rights of corporate power.

Journalists who antagonize or report on these things are labeled as fringe. Powerful institutions work to defame and limit the careers of people who actually try to do real damage to corporate power.
Cringe

skinny teeth teeth

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 21, 2022
Official Staff Communication
How about we NOT with the conspiracy theory crap?

Seriously, this news article in the OP is three hours old. They JUST figured out his motivation. If you want some articles on the event itself when it happened, here's a few:

www.cbsnews.com

Man dies after setting himself on fire in front of the Supreme Court, police say

The court said there were no other injuries, and there does not appear to be a public safety concern.
www.nbcnews.com

Man dies after setting himself on fire in front of Supreme Court building

The Metropolitan Police Department identified the man as Wynn Bruce, of Boulder, Colorado.
abcnews.go.com

Man dies after setting himself on fire outside Supreme Court Building, officials say

A person apparently attempted to set themselves on fire outside of the U.S. Supreme Court Building in Washington, D.C., on Friday.

And then there's the smattering of local outlets that picked it up.

All of this from a 30 second google search.

Everyone needs to stop instantly jumping to conspiracy crap when it suits their own beliefs. CONSPIRACY THEORIES ARE BAD AND WE SHOULD NOT BE GIVING THEM CREDENCE.
Jesus, thank you. Seeing posts like those drive me insane. The man just died, show some respect conspiracy theorists. RIP.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tragic and pointless. I'm not going to praise this man's dedication to killing himself. Climate change needs activists who are alive.

People can do what they want, but this can't be the way to protest. Being dead for no reason serves no one.

I admire the dedication but I have to agree that it feels better aimed outward. No conservative shithead pushing against climate change prevention is going to have his heart changed by activists killing themselves. Hell, they probably cheer for it.

Oh thank God I thought I was going absolutely crazy reading all of the respect posts

I was like wtf? Like sure this type of protest might have influenced change in other political climates, but do you really think the kind of people that would vote trump in would actually give a rats ass about their fellow man in this manner?

To be this naive is detonating my mind.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Lol.

I don't think it's a conspiracy as much as it doesn't drive engagement like almost anything else does. It just falls off the radar quick.
There was a mass shooting in DC literally a few hours or so before this happened, literally shades of the DC sniper to boot. So this never really had a moment to grab any attention.

www.nbcwashington.com

Suspect in ‘Sniper-Type' Shooting Dead in Van Ness Apartment Building, 4 Injured: DC Police

The man suspected of shooting three adults and a child Friday afternoon in the Van Ness neighborhood of Northwest D.C. was found dead in an apartment building in the area.

People need to stop running to conspiracy theories just because they line up with their political beliefs.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly I think his protest will fall on deaf ears. Capitalism is undeterred by things like empathy. Its money and political interests over human lives and the welfare of the planet always. 100% of the time.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Oh thank God I thought I was going absolutely crazy reading all of the respect posts

I was like wtf? Like sure this type of protest might have influenced change in other political climates, but do you really think the kind of people that would vote trump in would actually give a rats ass about their fellow man in this manner?

The point of this protest is to be shocking and stick in people's minds. It's disrespectful of this person's death to tone police him. I'm sure the protester would hate for others to focus on anything but the message he is trying to send to our legislators.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Worst part of this all is that a person felt the need to do this. That society fucked up so hard that they felt they needed to kill themselves to get attention for a cause that shouldn't have ever needed attention to begin with. And then what's even worse is that society couldn't even be assed to fucking pretend to care.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

Sounds like a lot of "don't protest the way I don't like" to me, ngl.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
It's a normal ass left criticism of corporate media.
People like Chomsky have more spicy takes than that on the media's under-reporting of climate activism.
If "normal ass criticism" is literally conspiracy theories, then there's a huge fucking problem.

It's been THREE HOURS since this ONE outlet figured this out his POTENTIAL motive. I literally pulled a number of articles on the event when it happened with a thirty-second google search. It hasn't gone ignored at all, people just didn't see it when it was reported because it happened on a Friday night and that's where news goes to die because nobody pays attention to anything that happens Friday nights.

People need to stop normalizing conspiracy theories.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
fucking hell, I know Self-immolation is done to make a stand and push people off from complacency but I really doubt this will move much of a needle.

I have much respect to the guy for dying for what he believed in but I'm having so many conflicting thoughts right now...

Rest In Peace, Wynn

Last edited:

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Rest in peace. I hope someone in a position of power is moved enough by this act to change something,

As for the reporting, I don't think there's much money in putting out news that's this distressing to both advertisers and viewers. Obviously, this applies to the Independent too, but it's not their Supreme Court that this happened at and the UK doesn't have the Vietnam baggage associated with the imagery so it makes sense that they would have more leeway with how soon they report the details. I know this news certainly hit me harder having been to the SCOTUS building IRL.

I don't think that's a conspiracy, that's just the same cultural and free market forces acting on different media companies independently. I know the Independent is generally a more right leaning paper anyway, but I think it's important for people (Americans especially) to keep an eye on external perspectives on our news.

Anyway, the NBC news tweet about this seems to be getting ratioed by people upset at his motivations not being mentioned, so the word is getting around anyway. It seems Mr. Bruce will end up a martyr in some form.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

that's your opinion tho, plenty of people out there including the person in question who think otherwise. if this is how they protest against it and gets the eyes that it fucking needs then that's how it is.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
If "normal ass criticism" is literally conspiracy theories, then there's a huge fucking problem.
I mean, that was already obvious?

We already knew people don't trust mainstream media in today's day and age, from multiple angles.

What other end would that result in?

fucking hell, I know Self-immolation is done to make a stand and push people off from complacency but I really doubt this will move much of a needle.
Pretty much.

How does that saying go?

"You don't win wars by dying for your country, you win them by..."

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A fruit vendor's self-immolation in Tunisia caused a protest that toppled the government.

The environmental ones don't seem to gain much traction.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl

It's been THREE HOURS since this ONE outlet figured this out his POTENTIAL motive. I literally pulled a number of articles on the event when it happened with a thirty-second google search. It hasn't gone ignored at all, people just didn't see it when it was reported because it happened on a Friday night and that's where news goes to die because nobody pays attention to anything that happens Friday nights.

I agree with everything you just said and yeah it's a state of total lunacy that can be alleviated by a simple 30 second google search lol. Ironically though them all getting banned just feeds the conspiracy theorist fire because they can turn that into "SEE I GOT BANNED FOR SPEAKING TRUTH" 🤣. I am not a mod obviously nor am I trying to (WhO w@tCh3s THE Watchm3n??!) but forum martyrdom is probably less effective at snapping people to their senses than just educating them like you wonderfully did with your post.

please don't ban my ass :(

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Also technically conspiracy theories are being normalized unfortunately already

Oct 26, 2017
In case you want to know why climate scientists are getting desperate the Guardian had a column written by one of the scientists who locked himself to an entrance of the JP Morgan building in LA:

www.theguardian.com

Climate scientists are desperate: we’re crying, begging and getting arrested | Peter Kalmus

On Wednesday, I was arrested for locking myself onto an entrance to the JP Morgan Chase building in downtown LA. I can’t stand by – and nor should you
Even limiting heating to below 2°C, a level of heating that in my opinion could threaten civilization as we know it, would require emissions to peak before 2025. As UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres said in the press conference on Monday: "Investing in new fossil fuel infrastructure is moral and economic madness." And yet, this is precisely what President Biden, most other world leaders, and major banks are doing. It's no exaggeration to say that Chase and other banks are contributing to murder and neocide through their fossil fuel finance.

Earth breakdown is much worse than most people realize. The science indicates that as fossil fuels continue to heat our planet, everything we love is at risk. For me, one of the most horrific aspects of all this is the juxtaposition of present-day and near-future climate disasters with the "business as usual" occurring all around me. It's so surreal that I often find myself reviewing the science to make sure it's really happening, a sort of scientific nightmare arm-pinch. Yes, it's really happening.

If everyone could see what I see coming, society would switch into climate emergency mode and end fossil fuels in just a few years.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Props to Scientist Rebellion for willing to protest and get arrested, it's just ridiculous how governments are not prioritising the world's health over everything else.
I hate being the Cassandra. I'd rather just be with my family and do science. But I feel morally compelled to sound the alarm. By the time I switched from astrophysics into Earth science in 2012, I'd realized that facts alone were not persuading world leaders to take action. So I explored other ways to create social change, all the while becoming increasingly concerned. I joined Citizens' Climate Lobby. I reduced my own emissions by 90% and wrote a book about how this turned out to be satisfying, fun, and connecting. I gave up flying, started a website to help encourage others, and organized colleagues to pressure the American Geophysical Union to reduce academic flying. I helped organize FridaysForFuture in the US. I co-founded a popular climate app and started the first ad agency for the Earth. I spoke at climate rallies, city council meetings, and local libraries and churches. I wrote article after article, open letter after open letter. I gave hundreds of interviews, always with authenticity, solid facts, and an openness to showing vulnerability. I've encouraged and supported countless climate activists and young people behind the scenes. And this was all on my personal time and at no small risk to my scientific career.​

It's amazing but also sad that Peter Kalmus had to go to such lengths, but really disruptive protests with threats of arrest are still quite effective. If only we all sacrificed our freedoms to fight for our planet.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Lol.

I don't think it's a conspiracy as much as it doesn't drive engagement like almost anything else does. It just falls off the radar quick.

100% this. Celebrity deaths, trials, a slap at an awards show, or a mass shooting are things that have staying power and that drive clicks. It's sad and gross but it's not a conspiracy. Unfortunate, flawed, whatever you want to say but it's not media working together to not make the story big.

This is incredibly sad though as all suicide is.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Props to Scientist Rebellion for willing to protest and get arrested, it's just ridiculous how governments are not prioritising the world's health over everything else.
I hate being the Cassandra. I'd rather just be with my family and do science. But I feel morally compelled to sound the alarm. By the time I switched from astrophysics into Earth science in 2012, I'd realized that facts alone were not persuading world leaders to take action. So I explored other ways to create social change, all the while becoming increasingly concerned. I joined Citizens' Climate Lobby. I reduced my own emissions by 90% and wrote a book about how this turned out to be satisfying, fun, and connecting. I gave up flying, started a website to help encourage others, and organized colleagues to pressure the American Geophysical Union to reduce academic flying. I helped organize FridaysForFuture in the US. I co-founded a popular climate app and started the first ad agency for the Earth. I spoke at climate rallies, city council meetings, and local libraries and churches. I wrote article after article, open letter after open letter. I gave hundreds of interviews, always with authenticity, solid facts, and an openness to showing vulnerability. I've encouraged and supported countless climate activists and young people behind the scenes. And this was all on my personal time and at no small risk to my scientific career.​

It's amazing but also sad that Peter Kalmus had to go to such lengths, but really disruptive protests with threats of arrest are still quite effective. If only we all sacrificed our freedoms to fight for our planet.

Climate activists get killed at a very high rate, often because a large number are Native peoples, so it's hard to have a big movement. This, of course as you said, doesn't even count arrests and other ways of brutalizing and crushing movements.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Self immolation is pointless and changes nothing. Won't shock anyone and those who do it are dismissed as mentally ill. Don't throw away your life to make a statement, that guy could have contributed to activism for decades.
"Contributing to activism for decades" = "Being ignored for decades while civilisation collapses around you". Inevitably being gaslit that hard by people in power is going to lead to an epidemic of suicide or ecoterrorism, but nobody gives a shit.

Last edited:

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021

Unfortunately, people want to justify their own conspiracy theories and negativity.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
That's insane. I wonder if his death will have a bigger impact than his work while he was alive. I guess that's a trade he was willing to make.