• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Do I just have bad taste?? Is Clifford a bad movie? Do people find older actors playing children takes away from the humor of having a child say or perform those actions? I thought this was some revered classic until I actually looked it up earlier tonight.

The entire cast is great and oddly dedicated to what is admittedly not the most unique set up, running with the "person takes on the responsibility of a 'child' to prove they're capable but they end up taking on a child from hell who is extremely charming to everyone but the person they spend the movie torturing," but with the catch of Martin Short (which I admittedly don't know too much about) being 44 and playing a 10 year old.

I think it's genuinely funny from start to finish but also carries that goofy, surreal lighter tone of the '80s/'90s where people would crack the fuck up over someone calling in a bomb threat to get out of something (it reminds of Honey I Shrunk The Kids but more a focus on the comedy than the drama). The gag of Martin Short playing a child holds up through the entire movie and never wears itself out nor does it obnoxiously outweigh the rest of the jokes in the movie in the way of "look!! It's your favorite celebrity but as a child!!", the characters are very engaging to watch and Martin Short as Clifford is so god damn funny and versatile.

That's a lot of me droning on about a movie maybe a lot of people haven't seen but I treasure it. I honestly realize a lot of people might reply "why don't you read through all the reviews" but I really just wanna discuss Clifford with other people that enjoy it.

I have a lot of favorite moments but I think the two that still catch me off guard and bust me up are when Clifford attempts to defend calling out his uncle's bosses wig because "it was the best looking wig I ever saw, it was a compliment!" but then talks about his schoolteacher allows his class to play with his wig. The noise he makes when he mimics using it as a frisbee is too damn funny to me.
My favorite moment is after Clifford edits and re-records the answering machine greeting of his uncle to get him in trouble with the police by threatening to blow up something and when his uncle attempts to call his own home to prove his innocence and getting Clifford's "Hi! This is Clifford! I can't tell you where my Uncle Martin is right now but- KABOOOOM!"

anyway discuss whatever about Clifford (1994) and please don't talk about that god damn big red dog in this thread I'm begging

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
20190619_142938_239665_cliffordhead1920.jpeg

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That movie disturbed me as a kid for whatever reason. I never gave it a chance.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I enjoyed it too, same with a lot of just odd/wacky movies that got critically panned from that era (like Dennis the Menace, Hook, Nothing but Trouble, The Vagrant, and the one most similar, Jack).

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Great movie, once watched it like 30 plus times in the span of two weeks when I was younger

OP
OP
Jerm

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
That movie disturbed me as a kid for whatever reason. I never gave it a chance.

there's something really unsettling about it but when you see it I think the whole aesthetic ends up being both really charming while making his bad side carry this very sinister air to it.

when I see the movie it's like I subconsciously see it as a grown man portraying a child torturing another grown man but also what it's mean to be seen as, your typical kid mentally but comedically torturing some dummy with bad intentions. I think that helps it feel super unique and puts it in a classic status for me

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was a nightmare I had as a small child not an actual film.

OP
OP
Jerm

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I think a more accurate comparison is Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.

Also, I remember where I got the recommendation for this movie and it was an AV Club interview with Scott Aukerman with a personal 24-hour comedy marathon.

Road to Utopia
Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
Caddyshack
The Naked Gun
Monty Python and The Holy Grail
Homage to Steve
The Wrong Guy
Clifford
Mr. Show episodes
Late Night with David Letterman Fifth Anniversary Special
Late Night with David Letterman "Christmas with The Letterman's"
The Sara Silverman program episode
Nathan for You episode
Any episode of Wonder Showzen
MacGruber
Stella shorts (s/o to Wain Showalter and Black)
Albert Brooks' Modern Romance - this is another one of those movies I think is genuinely hilarious and perfect that didn't do so hot and sort of fell into a cult/forgotten status but damn it's funny.
Cabin Boy
Step Brothers

very good list and if you're an Aukerman fan you can really see where he draws his influence from

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen it but it inspired the 0.5 star review by Roger Ebert, which is one of my all time favorite reviews.

It's not bad in any usual way. It's bad in a new way all its own. There is something extraterrestrial about it, as if it's based on the sense of humor of an alien race with a completely different relationship to the physical universe. The movie is so odd, it's almost worth seeing just because we'll never see anything like it again. I hope.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Clifford was ruined for me by the soft rip-off that Mad TV's "Stuart" was. Stuart was exceptionally unfunny and when I eventually saw Clifford I just couldn't separate the two. Maybe I'll give Clifford another shot tho.

Oct 25, 2017
"Look at me like a human boy!"

source.gif

This is fantastic, I have to see this now.
Right?

I'm a big Martin Short fan. He was one of the few actors/comedians that would make my dad cry laughing (particularly when on Letterman) so I have a soft spot for Short. His appearance on Conan Needs a Friend recently was a great listen.

I need to see this.

OP
OP
Jerm

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I haven't seen it but it inspired the 0.5 star review by Roger Ebert, which is one of my all time favorite reviews.

A roundabout way of saying ahead of its time but not having the awareness to see the genius.

I'm half bullshitting with that but when I suggest this to anyone my age or younger they've really tended to enjoy it not knowing it was panned. I don't think something like that could be recreated now but I think it came a generation early if that was the reaction.

Oct 25, 2017
Right?

I'm a big Martin Short fan. He was one of the few actors/comedians that would make my dad cry laughing (particularly when on Letterman) so I have a soft spot for Short. His appearance on Conan Needs a Friend recently was a great listen.

I need to see this.
Watching it now. Got a free trial for Prime Video since they're streaming it

"The entire city of Los Angeles is relying on me for public transit"

In retrospect this is funny to me. I wonder if it was meant to be funny at the time.

Short's facial expressions make this movie.

Tim Aza

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Stockton, CA
Watched this last night and ahead of its time is the right way to describe it. It's hilarious. Other than one off-color joke near the end of the second act, the whole movie holds up really well.

Anyone who liked the clip posted earlier in the thread should give it a shot.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
i loved martin short movies as a kid.

I mean: Innerspace, Three Amigos, Captain Ron, Cross My Heart, Pure Luck?

I don't know how Cross My Heart got lumped in but it happened.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless the comedy is some pretentious crap, comedies tend to be rated lowly amongst critics.

Roger Ebert called Tommy Boy one of the worst movies ever made, for example (which is why I always say fuck Ebert).

Right?

I need to see this.
Also, even at his current age, dude is sharp as fuck. Love it when he roasts people.