• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I can appreciate the humanity of the people giving Cliff a little sympathy and celebrating his past accomplishments. However, I also appreciate the uncompromising realism of the people calling out how absurd it is that he is criticizing toxicity in gaming while having been a source of toxicity for years.

He is right, this hobby can be extremely toxic. However, he has been a big part of that at times. I'm sorry he had such a negative experience, but I wish he hadn't contributed to the negative experiences of others.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The guy who kept feeding the toxicity now complains about toxicity.
You can't make this shit up.

Yup. People forgave a lot of his antics and behaviour because of his celebrity status in the industry for so many years.

But honestly, the fact that we took so long to call him on it is part of the problem, it discredits any criticism of his behaviour when we as a community waited until he made a string of products we weren't enthralled with.

I can't speak to whether you were one of those people or not, but it is a prevalent habit we as a community need to break.

When Lawbreakers was in the process of bombing, Gaf (this community essentially) was pretty damn malicious towards the guy, so I don't blame him. There was a lot of toxicity directed toward him, it's undeniable.

I know he was outspoken, but he didn't deserve all that hate.

Boiling it down to him being "outspoken" is really understating the issue.

Cliffy is right but he also fostered that toxicity with his edgy attitude. He was part of the problem and his whole Rockstar persona was a big part of video game image for a while. He helped create part of "gamer culture" and he doesn't get to wash is hands off that.

Yeah, I can't fault anyone for thinking that "get only what you give back" should apply to him.

we will be okay. there's still plenty of talent still here that doesn't try call out journalists for uncovering sexism at huge companies like riot. or who lie about paying for ex employees health insurance and severance so they look like a hero.

Yup. And I mean, let's be clear, if you're so repulsive that you got permabanned from GAF in its heyday, you weren't exactly a champion of civility and a beacon against the toxicity he now derides. There's even a pejorative for what's happened to him: he Dyack'd himself.

I never liked his games much, and to be honest he's always come off like kind of a D bag. I agree with him about the toxicity of gaming though, it's a hobby filled to the brim with immature, disrespectful, sexist, racist manchildren, and it can be draining. Problem is, I'm pretty sure every Fandom is toxic, so I don't know if his experiences will change much. Regardless, I hope the new path works out for him.

And now there's one less.

At least the man's honest
When he's not owning up to how he personally contributed to the toxicity in gamer culture as though he had no part to play in it, it's tough to say he's being all that honest. Not with us or with himself.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope he finds something he likes doing. I'm grateful for him giving my brothers and I Gears of War.

All of this politics is ridiculous.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He and Jaffe both seem to have ended up in the same place

Similiar personalities that are outspoken bordering on agressive

You dont hear Will Wright or Sid Meier complaining. Why? Because they dont comfront and have so thin skin

Betting on youtube streaming ala Jaffe btw haha ;)

Oct 27, 2017
I wish him the best.

People saying he is contributing to gaming's toxic culture because he's kind of a dick are really missing the forest for the trees. Yes, of course he has. I'm sure most of us posting in this thread have too.

His "contribution" in that area is so minuscule it's like spitting into the ocean. Gaming toxicity is far more complex than one rock star attitude developer.

Last edited:

Nozem

Oct 27, 2017
The man is responsible for a lot of my best gaming related memories. Especially the Unreal Tournament series.

Gears 1 made me buy an Xbox.

I wish him the absolute best. <3

Apr 9, 2018
Can anyone link me to "toxic" stuff that cliffy b has said? Tons of people in this thread talking about how he contributed to the toxicity yet no specific examples.

Last one I remember was trying to publicly embarass super coder Corinne Yu for 'crunching' on Uncharted 4 out of his own jealousy of her talent most probably.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I think Cliff is an interesting person and he is totally right about gaming. He also frequently courts controversy, spews toxicity, and can be a total asshole for no apparent reason.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, just maybe, Cliff needs to take some time off for introspection and think about whether he contributed to the toxicity he's talking about. Then maybe, just maybe, he should do something about that.

This.

He's not a wrong about it now, but he sure didn't help it before, and if anything actually contributed to it. Hope he's succesful in his upcoming endeavours, but also that he tries some self reflecting.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
I bet he's going to be a rap critic but his thing will only be reviewing white rappers and talking about how much better they are than everyone else in the game.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably a stupid question but how does he have so much money?

He was one of the key members of Epic since the very start. I guess he got his share. Gears of War made about a billion in revenue, he as the father of this franchise probably got a bit of that as well. And other stuff he did. His net worth is 16 million if you google it.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I wish him best of luck, mainly because I don't want him to call the community of his next venture toxic AF if he fails again.

Makoto Yuki

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Too bad he topped after Jazz Jackrabbit, maybe he can make it a novel or something.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Wish him the best, though I don't have much sympathy after all the toxicity he himself gave out constantly.

Feb 10, 2018
He was one of the key members of Epic since the very start. I guess he got his share. Gears of War made about a billion in revenue, he as the father of this franchise probably got a bit of that as well. And other stuff he did. His net worth is 16 million if you google it.

Man.. With that kind of money I think I would act a bit douchy too.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He made millions off Toxic Masculinity: The Franchise and has the gall to say this.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
I wonder if Nirolak will have weekly celebration threads if this fails like he did with Lawbreakers because Cliff said some harsh things about poor little GAF

Hope the best for Cliff. He is good people.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Yup. People forgave a lot of his antics and behaviour because of his celebrity status in the industry for so many years.

But honestly, the fact that we took so long to call him on it is part of the problem, it discredits any criticism of his behaviour when we as a community waited until he made a string of products we weren't enthralled with.

I can't speak to whether you were one of those people or not, but it is a prevalent habit we as a community need to break.

Boiling it down to him being "outspoken" is really understating the issue.

Yeah, I can't fault anyone for thinking that "get only what you give back" should apply to him.

Yup. And I mean, let's be clear, if you're so repulsive that you got permabanned from GAF in its heyday, you weren't exactly a champion of civility and a beacon against the toxicity he now derides. There's even a pejorative for what's happened to him: he Dyack'd himself.

And now there's one less.

When he's not owning up to how he personally contributed to the toxicity in gamer culture as though he had no part to play in it, it's tough to say he's being all that honest. Not with us or with himself.
Gears of war and being a celebrity separates him from the rest of the crowd, if he came back to gaming it would be HUGE.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

Don't blame him at all

This thread will prove his point

This triggered me.

Make games, lean into the dudebro shit to promote your games, wash your hands clean when you leave.

Cliffy B has always been a net negatoe for gaming culture, glad we have better people making better games.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing that it took less than a page to prove his point.

Wish him all the best.

So no accountability for Cliff then, eh? He gets to be shitty, indulge in self-pity, and then we are all supposed to have some King Kong moment where we look at our hands, gasp, and conclude that we were the monsters all along?

I would feel awful if someone like Ron Gilbert tweeted out that he was leaving gaming because of how toxic it was. But Cliff Bleszinski? Nah. I'll sleep fine.