• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ending and most of the movie felt contrived for me, especially once the novelty of the comedic stuff wore off.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This film was always so bizarre to me. It spends 90% of the runtime being a typical Adam Sandler comedy and it's just insufferable and then it pulls the last twenty minutes out of its ass and Sandler genuinely tries and mostly succeeds at delivering an emotionally resonate conclusion. I never knew what to make of it all...

Nah, okay, I do, Click still sucks. Nice hospital and wedding scene, though.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed most of this movie the first time I saw it, especially the dramatic shift. It really did feel like a kind-of Twilight Zone or even Black Mirror episode mixed with Adam Sandler comedy. If only they would have done it without the dog sex and fart jokes...

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
It's the best Adam Sandler movie ever, and defiteley should have changed this guy's carrer to become a more serious actor: I don't get how he's still trapped in that endless stream of unfunny movies that somehow generate enough money to make another one later on.

It's pretty much the precursor to Marley & Me: You think you are going to see a generic comedy movie, and end up crying and putting everything in your life in perspective.
Sandler has been putting out performances that dwarf click for nearly 20 years now. Even as recently as last year he had Uncut Gems. If he wanted to do nothing but serious dramatic acting he easily could, man just likes to get a few million dollars to make dick jokes and see the Bahamas.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
The dumbest thing about the movie is that the big tragedy isn't even caused by anything Sandler's character chooses. The remote just decides to start skipping shit for him. Sure, he skips a few things initially, but the character already values his life enough not to skip huge swaths of it voluntarily, so the movie has to take that away from him to tell the story it wants to tell. Like, it's not much of a morality tale if the moral is "it would be bad to have a device randomly fuck with your reality in a way you can't control until you die."

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Heart made me really sad at the end of it but I wouldn't consider it Oscar worthy.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
The movie was so terrible by the end I was just happy it was over.

uncut gems is probably my favorite Sandler performance as a serious actor.

Oct 25, 2017
People are so easily manipulated by a sappy ending lol.
Most of the movie is Sandler farting in people's faces or slowing down time to stare a woman's breasts

gfbandito

One Winged Slayer
Apr 5, 2020
If you want an actual good sappy ending it's 50 First Dates, and he's acting like a normal person for a lot of that movie.

The good sappy ending where a woman suddenly wakes up on a tugboat in the antarctic and finds out through a vhs that only is she not in hawaii anymore, but she got knocked up by some shmuck she's never seen before?

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
The dumbest thing about the movie is that the big tragedy isn't even caused by anything Sandler's character chooses. The remote just decides to start skipping shit for him. Sure, he skips a few things initially, but the character already values his life enough not to skip huge swaths of it voluntarily, so the movie has to take that away from him to tell the story it wants to tell. Like, it's not much of a morality tale if the moral is "it would be bad to have a device randomly fuck with your reality in a way you can't control until you die."

The remote is fueled by the users input, so the more they skip, the more the remote tries to mimic that pattern with its A.I algorithm.

A lot of people don't know that you can turn that setting off.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
The remote is fueled by the users input, so the more they skip, the more the remote tries to mimic that pattern with its A.I algorithm.

No, I get why, in-universe, the remote skips everything. But the writers could've made the remote work any way they wanted, and they chose to make it so the remote randomly skips huge swaths of his life. So the central issue of the movie doesn't end up being "man takes the boring parts of his life for granted and comes to realize the importance of time with family", it's "man realizes very early how important family time is, but is needlessly tortured by an AI for the rest of the movie."

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Having never seen the movie but understanding that it's trapped halfway between a drama and a typical Sandler comedy, and watching that scene, I laughed out loud when he wakes up in a Bed Bath and Beyond. That's a Sandler comedy alright!

And the acting in that scene sucks, what on earth are people talking about. It's like a parody.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I saw this in the theaters on a date. Some girl I didn't know a few seats down was sobbing so hard at this movie, when it was over I had to warn my date not to slip on the puddle she left behind.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

Adam Sandler didn't know that
No, I get why, in-universe, the remote skips everything. But the writers could've made the remote work any way they wanted, and they chose to make it so the remote randomly skips huge swaths of his life. So the central issue of the movie doesn't end up being "man takes the boring parts of his life for granted and comes to realize the importance of time with family", it's "man realizes very early how important family time is, but is needlessly tortured by an AI for the rest of the movie."
Yeah the remote cheats to justify the movie, it would been better if he didn't care until his dad died because thought just giving them money was fine

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
tbh i wept over this shit when i was younger

there are definitely moments where it is trash but overall i found the acting and premise to be p solid. it srsly still makes me tear up when i rewatch it 🥺

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

Adam Sandler didn't know that

Im sorry, i was telling a joke.

Sorta on brand that it wasn't funny in a thread about Adam Sandler.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
If we're recommending other good Adam Sandler movies, I loved Reign Over Me.

images

Fucks me up every time