• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
I got a text to click on an address (removed). I knew it was a scam, and sometimes in the past I would click on them to see how credible the website looked compared to the real thing. Except in this instance, the link was dead.

This was on a Mac.

Advice?

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
5em7ft.jpg

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
For one, don't post the link.
Otherwise run a MalwareBytes scan, and then forget it ever happened because you're more than likely fine if you didn't download anything - especially if it was a dead link.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I can tell you what to do OP, all I need is your CC number and your mother's name for security reasons.

Oct 29, 2017
The page itself didn't really contain anything. They probably used the id in the URL to register that you are willing to click on dubious links.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I got a text to click on an address (removed). I knew it was a scam, and sometimes in the past I would click on them to see how credible the website looked compared to the real thing. Except in this instance, the link was dead.

This was on a Mac.

Advice?
Huh? You clicked on it? People click these all the time and give away all their details by filling in forms, sometimes their bank details, credit cards, and you are worrying about clicking it?

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you didn't download anything then worst case it just validates that they hit a real target and you'll probably get more attempts in the future.

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? You clicked on it? People click these all the time and give away all their details by filling in forms, sometimes their bank details, credit cards, and you are worrying about clicking it?

In theory there could be some unknown browser exploit that could only require a click, but I wouldn't expect that from a spam email scam.

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know why people aren't giving the Op the advice he asked for.

Use a who.is lookup to find the contact info of the scammer and tell them their website isn't working.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Whenever I see a rule or a law and think there's no way someone would do that, but then there's this thread so.

deathkiller

Apr 11, 2018
My father once asked me to check a scam email he received, it is nice that there are webs that virus check urls so you don't have to open the link.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Oops, I did a bad thing even though I knew better!
What'd you do?
Here, I'll show you!

lol
You're probably fine OP. But just in case, send us your IP address so we can double check
DO NOT DO THAT