• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If Mahomes was secretly part of a gang and had been murdering people for years, I'm still not sure they would suspend him unless he was actually in jail.

Roger Goodell would be personally petitioning for parole and/or a work release

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I'm talking specifically about his 2nd suspension. He was suspended for the season for testing positive for marijuana. He claimed it was second hand smoke.

The whole season. For that.

No that is just not true. His defense team claimed that. That was back before he was open about his struggles with substance abuse. He had a very extensive history of failing drug tests, a dwi, etc. he was in denial about his issues and he opened up about his struggles with that. Much like players claiming their supplement somehow triggered a PED false positive, josh was in denial about his addiction. Luckily it seems he really has turned a corner, but this weed nonsense is just not the whole picture at all and is pretty misleading and flat out untrue.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
the NFL is its owners. Roger Goodell works for them, and one of them is the owner of the Cleveland Browns. You can understand why they are probably trying to walk on eggshells around this and why this is probably being treated differently than some random 3rd string line backer being suspended. (not that this makes it right)

Isn't the same true of MLB owners and Manfred? Because he obviously can down extremely hard on Bauer to the point where there's a question of whether he'll ever play in the league again. That's all over the accusations of three women. This is over the accusations of two dozen women.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Isn't the same true of MLB owners and Manfred? Because he obviously can down extremely hard on Bauer to the point where there's a question of whether he'll ever play in the league again. That's all over the accusations of three women. This is over the accusations of two dozen women.
Yeah but there are also people who find the two year suspension rather convenient given that is the length of his current contract.

Not saying he doesn't deserve it, but I feel like that was done for financial reasons rather than any interest in proper justice.

clmartin

Banned
Apr 1, 2022
the NFL is its owners. Roger Goodell works for them, and one of them is the owner of the Cleveland Browns. You can understand why they are probably trying to walk on eggshells around this and why this is probably being treated differently than some random 3rd string line backer being suspended. (not that this makes it right)
Fuck outta here with this apologism.

A piece of shit CEO who cans half his workforce has his own reasons but doesn't need people trying to rationalise that garbage.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
No that is just not true. His defense team claimed that. That was back before he was open about his struggles with substance abuse. He had a very extensive history of failing drug tests, a dwi, etc. he was in denial about his issues and he opened up about his struggles with that. Much like players claiming their supplement somehow triggered a PED false positive, josh was in denial about his addiction. Luckily it seems he really has turned a corner, but this weed nonsense is just not the whole picture at all and is pretty misleading and flat out untrue.
I'm just going off of what I remember, but if that's true then it still doesn't change my original point that they treated Josh Gordon much more harshly than their treating DeShaun Watson despite what Gordon did being a lot less severe.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I'm just going off of what I remember, but if that's true then it still doesn't change my original point that they treated Josh Gordon much more harshly than their treating DeShaun Watson despite what Gordon did being a lot less severe.

It doesn't change that but the whole weed rhetoric is really tired and it downplays Gordon's struggles.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It doesn't change that but the whole weed rhetoric is really tired and it downplays Gordon's struggles.
I agree, but this threat isn't about Gordon and his struggles. I was just using him as an example of the NFL cracking down way over the top on something that is relatively inconsequential compared to what Watson has done.

They're inconsistency and lack of urgency is just bullshit considering that Watson has shown himself to be a serial offender.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
NFL want that Watson vs young, good AFC QBs money. Probably salivating at Watson vs Burrow/Lamar twice a year.

He'll get a few games suspended and that's it.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I agree, but this threat isn't about Gordon and his struggles. I was just using him as an example of the NFL cracking down way over the top on something that is relatively inconsequential compared to what Watson has done.

They're inconsistency and lack of urgency is just bullshit considering that Watson has shown himself to be a serial offender.

To be clear here I'm not arguing against the leagues gross inconsistencies across the board. I'm just tired of the "it's just a little weed" story in general. 1. When people argue as if he got slapped with a ban over an occasional toke and 2. The amount of stoner jokes made about a guy who has had severe struggles with addiction.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Still amazing the Browns fought so hard to get him and gave him such an insane contract. I know there were plenty on here who thought he was top 3 QB or something but with all that baggage you'd think that would outweigh any good they'd get.

Oct 25, 2017
2 courts found Watson not guilty; no credible evidence IIRC. My guess is that, that is the big difference vs the Bauer's case.

Watson hasn't been found "not guilty" by any courts. He was no-billed by grand juries in two counties and could still theoretically be prosecuted, though he obviously won't at this point barring revealing something unexpected at deposition or elsewhere. No one has made a determination that there was "no credible evidence", the grand juries just found there wasn't enough evidence for indictment on criminal charges. Evidence presented to the grand jury is entirely at the discretion of the DA here in Houston and is secret.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Watson hasn't been found "not guilty" by any courts. He was no-billed by grand juries in two counties and could still theoretically be prosecuted, though he obviously won't at this point barring revealing something unexpected at deposition or elsewhere. No one has made a determination that there was "no credible evidence", the grand juries just found there wasn't enough evidence for indictment on criminal charges. Evidence presented to the grand jury is entirely at the discretion of the DA here in Houston and is secret.
No bill means he will not face criminal charges right?

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Shitty thing is Cleveland planned for that and structured his contract accordingly to reward him even if he's suspended a year.

Almost every star in the nfl has their contract structured so the first year they're getting base salary and the rest is signing bonus. Teams do it for salary cap purposes. It has nothing to do with "rewarding him" if he gets suspended.

May 14, 2021
Almost every star in the nfl has their contract structured so the first year they're getting base salary and the rest is signing bonus. Teams do it for salary cap purposes. It has nothing to do with "rewarding him" if he gets suspended.
You'll never convince me that didn't play a part in his current contract. Because it did. Browns structured that deal so he wouldn't get hurt by an early contract suspension.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
You'll never convince me that didn't play a part in his current contract. Because it did. Browns structured that deal so he wouldn't get hurt by an early contract suspension.

You can hate the browns all you want but this reason isn't one of them. The contract would be structured that way regardless of his current situation.

If you want you can look at Aaron Rodgers or Matthew Stafford's new contract they signed recently. They're getting the minimum base salary this year because they got huge signing bonuses to offset it. It benefits teams to do this since they can spread signing bonus cap hits over the length of the contract.

www.spotrac.com

Aaron Rodgers

Aaron Rodgers contract and salary cap details, full contract breakdowns, salaries, signing bonus, roster bonus, dead money, and valuations.

www.spotrac.com

Matthew Stafford

Matthew Stafford contract and salary cap details, full contract breakdowns, salaries, signing bonus, roster bonus, dead money, and valuations.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
So basically not guilty. If they had the evidence to charge him, they would.

not "Basically not guilty". There is a difference between charges not being brought and being "found not guilty" which is what the post I was responding too was asserting. And also for all intents and purposes thats exactly what happened with the Bauer case (which again, was the subject of the post I was responding to)

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I haven't followed the case because pretty early on I didn't have any doubts on the horrible stuff he had done and didn't want to subject myself to the constant news cycle unnecessarily, but I was really disappointed (but not surprised) at the Browns for signing him to that contract. It's shameful. I hope these victims get their justice and that the Browns don't squirm their way out of paying the guaranteed part of his contract. They should be ashamed of themselves.

The most important thing to keep in mind is the victims well-being, but sometimes I have a vindictive stream and the Browns and Watson deserve what is hopefully coming.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I guarantee the nfl is not gonna suspend Watson more than 6 or 8 games. If your the Browns, you don't make that trade and contract without full cooperation with the league. There is hundreds of millions of dollars on the line, and you don't do that on a "chance". This stuff is already worked in advance and agreed upon. The only thing that could change any of this is new crimes or information that is beyond what anyone knew prior to the move.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I guarantee the nfl is not gonna suspend Watson more than 6 or 8 games. If your the Browns, you don't make that trade and contract without full cooperation with the league. There is hundreds of millions of dollars on the line, and you don't do that on a "chance". This stuff is already worked in advance and agreed upon. The only thing that could change any of this is new crimes or information that is beyond what anyone knew prior to the move.

Two more accusers have come out since the trade.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
things just got interesting with 2 more accusers

the 6 game suspension may have just went out the window

its gonna be interesting how the NFL makes this go based on how watson is a talented player who the NFL wants on the field

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Two more accusers have come out since the trade.
I get what your saying but why would 2 more cases be the straw that broke the camels back when he already has 20+?

I'm not supporting this dude, I just see the nfl for what it is….a business. Watson is an elite qb who will put asses in seats. Unless someone can charge him criminally, they will give him a slap on the wrist and let it all blow over.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
He's missing the whole year. Hopefully this can build momentum and end his career.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017

He's out for the year isn't he?

On one hand, I want Baker to pull a Watson and just refuse to play based on all the mudslinging the Browns front office did to him this off-season. But on the other hand, I want Baker to use the opportunity to post stats better than Watson's best season, and then leave them while Watson comes in and stinks up the place.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I get what your saying but why would 2 more cases be the straw that broke the camels back when he already has 20+?

I'm not supporting this dude, I just see the nfl for what it is….a business. Watson is an elite qb who will put asses in seats. Unless someone can charge him criminally, they will give him a slap on the wrist and let it all blow over.

I didn't say it would break the camel's back. I was responding to your post that said " The only thing that could change any of this is new crimes or information that is beyond what anyone knew prior to the move." to point out that this, in fact, has already happened.

Oct 22, 2020
You are severely underestimating how corrupt, dumb, and desperate Jimmy Haslam is.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
the sad part is you know there's a shit ton more victims out there, and with him getting not even a slap on the wrist, there will be more. Dude is a serial predator who gets off on abusing women and making them uncomfortable.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
the sad part is you know there's a shit ton more victims out there, and with him getting not even a slap on the wrist, there will be more. Dude is a serial predator who gets off on abusing women and making them uncomfortable.
Absolutely. You'd have to think only a portion of victims would actually be willing to admit any of this, for a wide variety of reasons.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Be really good but not great at football. Imagine what Mahomes could get away with.
Watson is a top 5 QB. He's arguably the best behind Mahomes and Allen of the new era of QB's.

If he was just a "good QB", he'd likely be on the scrap heap at this point. At this current rate, he still may hopefully end up there.