• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Clerks is a classic, Clerks 2 was fun even if it seemed.. bad. That being said, Kevin Smith has been terrible for a few years.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jeff Anderson decided to come back? I thought he soured HARD on Clerks especially. The impression I got from stuff Smith and O'Halloran were saying was that he didn't want anything to do with the project or any of them ever again.

I mean it also probably has to do with the old Clerks 3 script, which Kevin said was super depressing. He wrote the whole thing over again from scratch after his heart attack gave him a new perspective.

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
I thought 2 was so goofy and loved it.

"I ain't eating anything that was cooked by some hate-monger!"
"I will! Baby you can't taste racism!"
Pillowpants, Kinky Kelly/donkey show, Elias, just so much gold.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hope this actually happens, Clerks 2 is still the best thing he's done in the last 20 years.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Kevin, baby, bubelah. You had a conversation and started writing a script. It's OK to wait to announce things, you excitable man you.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
He's been doing table reads of a theoretical script for the third movie for charity to audiences around the Jersey Shore and a few other select places.

He's got the basic plot points and dialogue done. Really it's just getting capital and the actors to agree to do the film.

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
I never thought we'd get another Jay and Silent Bob but here we are, a few months away from release. I have more faith in Kevin Smith getting things out then I did a few years ago. Maybe after the heart attack he realized he may not get a chance to do some of the projects he has been wanting to. Here's to hoping Kevin stays healthy and the movies are of quality.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I loved Clerks 2. The part with 1979 hit the perfect note of remembering the past and looking to the future for me. One of my favorite film-making moments of all time.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really happy about this. I'm not sure if I'm really still interested in his films, but I think he's a great dude and I want him to be able to make the films he wants to make and I'll find a way to support him in hopes that he can.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There are so many things he's "announced" that never came to fruition. Mallrats 2 comes to mind. And there was definitely a moment in time when he was teasing the long awaited return of the animated series. In fact, he hinted at the same thing just a few months ago.

Both of those animated series mentions sound more like "this would be awesome if it happened" more than actual hints, though.

But yes, Kevin has a history of getting really excited about things that don't pan out.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Clerks 3 would be fantastic. Clerks was such a brilliant film and the second was great too. Despite the trailer for Jay & Silent Bob Reboot looking kinda crap, I'm definitely up for new Clerks

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Eh. Kevin Smith has made like 4 good movies out of... 15? At this point he should probably only announce Clerks 3 when it's completely done filming.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Lot of people weighing in on Smith's works...but looking at his movies, I'd say he's done a pretty good job....better than a lot of other writer/directors out there. He started out strong with Clerks, but I loved Mallrats and Dogma and J&SB Strike Back. Chasing Amy is often considered his best. Jersey Girl was weak, but Clerks II and Zack and Miri were both funny. Cop Out seemed...well, bland hollywood schlock. Red State I thought was very good. But, yeah, both Tusk and Yoga Hosers absolutely sucked.

So, out of a dozen movies, two sucked, two were weak, and the other 8 range from good to great. It seems when he's focused on the View Askew universe, he puts out his best stuff...so...here's hoping Clerks III continues that trend.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About goddamn time!

And Tusk was great. I'll defend this movie forever. Even my mom liked it!

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see a Clerks 3 happen.
But what's up with Mallrats 2?
Wasn't that happening at some point?

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm glad Jeff turned it down back in the day, Smith said it was a dark take as he was having a bad time writing it and it would have been a disservice to the characters if he pushed them to make it. Now he gets to write it and have it actually be a better ending for the characters. And we all know Dante has a kid, so welcome aboard Harley Smith.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Its been like a decade or more since Smith made a good film, so setting my expectations here to a minimum.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Its been like a decade or more since Smith made a good film, so setting my expectations here to a minimum.

Red State, Some of Dogma, Chasing Amy, and Clerks Prime were the only films I was impressed by and I'm 34 and have been watching since almost the beginning. I love Kevin the person too so I have no problem with the guy. He is just so fucking affable/lovable.

All that said, he is given way too much rope by his superfans it has reached ridiculous highs almost like they can't see the Forrest for the trees not to mention how poorly some of his older stuff has aged up because there is so much punching down and homophobic humour. The endless promotion might be coloring my growing irritation but when almost every review is full of caveats I don't feel all that wrong.

Burbank

Sep 9, 2018
Pangea
People liked the sequel? I don't remember super much, except feeling like it was an insanely underwhelming attempt to continue something that didn't really need a sequel to begin with.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Red State, Some of Dogma, Chasing Amy, and Clerks Prime were the only films I was impressed by and I'm 34 and have been watching since almost the beginning. I love Kevin the person too so I have no problem with the guy. He is just so fucking affable/lovable.

All that said, he is given way too much rope by his superfans it has reached ridiculous highs almost like they can't see the Forrest for the trees not to mention how poorly some of his older stuff has aged up because there is so much punching down and homophobic humour. The endless promotion might be coloring my growing irritation but when almost every review is full of caveats I don't feel all that wrong.

While some characters in his stories might be a tad homophobic, Kevin Smith is not. Look up him talking about his brother.