• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Facts.

Fastest way to get it changed it to change the way the laws work. There's a lot of room for doing so if people cared to. Not sure why it gets such a nasty reaction.
Nintendo's Legal Team vs. Milton Guasti's legal team. Who would win?

The answer may surprise you (it actually might, like you said, there's a lot of room to negotiate fanworks) but do you see why this fight is an intimidating, if not impossible fight for the people on the receiving end of the C&D?

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
51I0kv6w9XL.jpg
Shit like that and the CDi games are almost certainly why they are stricter about how their IP gets used.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Facts.

Fastest way to get it changed it to change the way the laws work. There's a lot of room for doing so if people cared to. Not sure why it gets such a nasty reaction.

I do believe that it's in these companies best interests to lean into fan works rather than lean out, however. I just think it's a bit entitled to bark at Nintendo or any other developer about this sort of thing. They're creating games that fans love and while I may personally think of these fan games and fan content as celebrations of the original, it's hardly fair to cry out if a company thinks of this stuff as a direct competition directly siphoning off their own intellectual property and hard work.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
From bullying 3rd parties in the 8 bit/16 bit era to deleting your stages in Mario Maker to monetize youtube fan videos, They only care about your money.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo's Legal Team vs. Milton Guasti's legal team. Who would win?

The answer may surprise you (it actually might, like you said, there's a lot of room to negotiate fanworks) but do you see why this fight is an intimidating, if not impossible fight for the people on the receiving end of the C&D?

No no Im not suggesting that this sort of fight be single handedly fought by the (sometimes) single individuals that are likely in Uni, buried in school debt, taking a full load of classes and barely getting by as is. That would be ridiculous. I just wonder if its not possible to start some sort of grassroots movement with the energy that this topic creates, especially considering how many people would honestly probably like the outcome should we be successful in changing things.

Not that we could get a grassroots movement ever going when people are trying to shoot it down so fast because reasons. Any time someone even tries to discuss these issues people flood in with "it's their right so oh well, conversation ended" or "well if you wanna do something about it why are you complaining on forums go do some REAL action" or something, which are generally tactics that people who want to nip discussion in the bud about something they disagree with but for some reason don't want to openly state their disagreement.
'

I think if something were to start, even those people might support it. Just because someone recognizes the companies rights or recommends another course of action doesn't mean they wouldnt be just as onboard as you are if it actually became a thing. Are those people REALLY going to protest fanmade Metroidvanias and the like? I don't think so. I really don't.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
took active steps to prevent fans or organizations from organizing certain events or tournaments
If you are talking about those Pokemon parties, the specific issue is that money was being taken for those. If you are talking about them trying to "go after" PM tournaments by pushing for TOs to not sanction those tournaments, then that's at least understandable from the perspective of how having Project M being at venues sponsored in part by Nintendo and where money was being exchange was probably not the best look when Project M was starting to fly a little too close to the sun with including new third party characters.

The Ken Penders thing was also years ago and wasn't he fired and SEGA broke it off with Archie? (I don't follow the comics.)
The Ken Penders thing was brewing over for years without Sega taking any action until they finally caught on to how crazy that situation was.

A Sega that actually cared more about its properties to actually maintain more quality would have probably shut that whole mess down years before things got bad to the point that they had to completely reboot things to ensure that their asses were finally covered.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
"I would be sued to death if I made a Star Wars film"

So I just imagined the Star Wars fan films I've seen then? Or when tons of people literally remade Empire Strikes Back frame by frame?

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
No no Im not suggesting that this sort of fight be single handedly fought by the (sometimes) single individuals that are likely in Uni, buried in school debt, taking a full load of classes and barely getting by as is. That would be ridiculous. I just wonder if its not possible to start some sort of grassroots movement with the energy that this topic creates, especially considering how many people would honestly probably like the outcome should we be successful in changing things.

'

I think if something were to start, even those people might support it. Just because someone recognizes the companies rights or recommends another course of action doesn't mean they wouldnt be just as onboard as you are if it actually became a thing. Are those people REALLY going to protest fanmade Metroidvanias and the like? I don't think so. I really don't.
Ah I see. I think the answer is yes, there's are ways to mobilize fan communities against the type of corporate cudgeling that Nintendo employs. The Harry Potter fanfic community did it back in 2003/2004 and those were mostly teenagers and children. How they went about it was posting the C&D letters sent to them allowing adults in the fandom (some of them lawyers) to find loopholes and craft counter-arguments that the writers were not equipped to make. They also found other avenues to post their works, and repeatedly petitioned J.K. Rowling who had previously been supportive of fanworks but remained mum once WB went to bat against fanworks.

There is definitely a grassroots movement that could be mobilized but if the "it's their IP, they get to do what they want" force is as vocal as it is on ERA, then I understand why it hasn't shown up yet. Fandom kind of screws itself over with its dumb tribalism. Nintendo's a company, not your S/O, you're under no obligation to defend it when it's acting shitty. They aren't going to hire you because you preordered Codename STEAM and all the Style Savvys out of fan loyalty. And they aren't going to hire you because you said nice things about them on a gaming forum.

(also you're under no obligation to defend your S/O if they're acting shitty but obviously that's a more nuanced argument)

Sep 28, 2018
I do believe that it's in these companies best interests to lean into fan works rather than lean out, however. I just think it's a bit entitled to bark at Nintendo or any other developer about this sort of thing. They're creating games that fans love and while I may personally think of these fan games and fan content as celebrations of the original, it's hardly fair to cry out if a company thinks of this stuff as a direct competition directly siphoning off their own intellectual property and hard work.

Fan games are rarely as good as, or better than the original product. Sometimes they have cool gimmick but are more like a couple of levels of a tech demo, others are a finished product but not nearly as polished as an official release. Then there is the very rare few that reach the standard of the official product. Like the Metroid remake, a Pokemon one a few years back and Sonic Mania, Wonderboy and Monsterboy

I see two ways to handle it... The SEGA way and the Nintendo way. SEGA and Nintendo couldn't be further removed in terms of reaction. Nintendo sees it as a threat, they shut that shit down as soon as possible and try to bury it. And while they're 'within their right' it's still really ugly and frankly, it scorns some of their biggest fans.

SEGA, on the other hand, has been excellent, they have shown support of fan games and eventually higher fans to make official products. And why the hell not? They've proven themselves to be competent developers... They are not lesser people because they began working on fan projects, and the pedigree of the work proves that.

So you get a few salty little bitches saying 'SEGA had to higher fans to do their work' No, SEGA highed competent and proven developers who have demonstrated a passion for the project... There are Nintendo fans making brilliant fan games and if Nintendo had any balls they would give them the license and with guidance make it an official product. And yeah, they're 'totally within their right' but it just.... totally sucks, especially for those ultra-talented fans that have put years of work into a fantastic homage with no intention of making a dime.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
"I would be sued to death if I made a Star Wars film"

So I just imagined the Star Wars fan films I've seen then? Or when tons of people literally remade Empire Strikes Back frame by frame?
The ESB thing isn't the best example because nobody is going to confuse that for the real thing or say it's the definitive way to consume that media (something that is an extremely dangerous line that T4S fans walk when they say the same thing about DBZA).

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Which first party consoles ecosystems do Capcom and Sega support with their own IPs?
Oh wait, none because they are not console makers. You can already buy every classic Rockman and Sonic game on 25 platforms so they're not used as software made primarily to sell hardware...

All these Nintendo fan games are for PC or other platforms, which takes away a selling point of Nintendo hardware, with some minor exceptions (spinoffs on mobile), if you want to play Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Mario Kart... you need to buy a Nintendo console.

Q: Nintendo will lose their trademarks if they allow fan games!
A: No they won't! Why hasn't SEGA lost their trademarks for Sonic, then?
This is faulty logic. 'It hasn't happened to Sega yet with Sonic, therefore it will never ever happen to a much much more valuable brand like Mario' is not how cause and effect works.

Q: If people would just seek permission instead of making fan games without permission, it wouldn't incur Nintendo's wrath!
A: I don't think this would work, sadly. I thought this was the case until I asked Nintendo if I could make a fan game and they refused me.
So, uh, bad luck chuck?

The argument is now 'I asked and was refused so fuck the law'? What are you, a small child stealing a lolly because mummy said no?

'Clearing some misconceptions' lol, these actually some of the most laughable arguments yet, at least (some) others have come up with genuine legal discussions and showed precedents elsewhere.

AM2R is better than SR in pretty much every way.
It really, really was not. It was a good amateur game but was patchy as hell and was a design mess on several levels. It would have been crucified as amateurish if released as a commercial product.

Fan projects have not and have never negatively impacted the existence of a product produced by the IP owner. That is nonsense. If done well, as AM2R was, it only helps awareness of the IP.
This is completely unprovable pure nonsense. You literally will not be able to cite figures to prove it, because they would be impossible to show.

But just like it can not be proven the extent to which piracy harms sales (pirated downloads would not all have been sales etc), it's self evident piracy harms sales to at least some extent. Fan games similarly self evidently can harm an IP, but making it appear less valuable by diluting it, and by being free alternatives to paid, official games. TO what extent we cannot know but it is insane to say they have never negatively impacted sales. Wishful thinking to the point of outright lying.

Last edited:

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While the apporach Nintendo has is shittier than the one Sega and Capcom have for fan-projects and it would be nice if they embraced the community, bringing stuff like AM2R and Mario C64 feel wrong.
Best case would be that Nintendo does not send anything after their release, sure, but let's be honest, the chances that a company like Nintendo with their ressources would only learn of these projects exitences AFTER they came out would be an heck of an coincidence. The fact that they waited until they were released and on the web and also waited until they reached a threshold of popularitry where people are writing articles about them before sending a C&D seems to point to them only acting when the project became too much of a big thing, not because it existed in the first place.
Heck, we've had people remaking old pokemon games in the past like Gold and Silver and those never got a C&D since they never received articles about them, compared to stuff like Chrono Trigger : Crimson echoes which got C&D mere weeks before release.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's true that Nintendo is within their rights to control the use of its IP. It is also true that when this steps on the creative works of fans, there will be backlash, like the OP. That's something they've appeared to have decided is less harmful than the loss of control of their IP, so I don't see this changing anytime soon.

For what it's worth, Nintendo honestly seems pretty lax on fan works, as others have mentioned only really taking action when someone attempts to create a viable substitute for an existing product that utilizes their own IP. I spent my early internet years on NewGrounds, and you'd be forgiven for thinking Mario was their mascot as well. And even then on the famous examples they generally let the projects complete and release before taking action, knowing full well once something is out on the Internet it's out there forever. I still have my copy of AM2R and Pokémon Uranium on my computer. And of course the Mother 3 fan translation, which is something the translation team have made clear Nintendo was well aware of and never made an effort to take down.

I dunno, I just can't get too upset with them doing what they think is best for their IP.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Then there is the very rare few that reach the standard of the official product. Like the Metroid remake, a Pokemon one a few years back and Sonic Mania, Wonderboy and Monsterboy
Boiling down Sonic Mania and Wonderboy down as fangames is incredibly misleading, though. While both have their genesis (:V) in the fangames community and were very active in that even when they started working with Sega, the people behind both projects were working professionals who were already in the games industry before they started working with Sega. It'd be like saying "oh, Nintendo hired the Mother 3 fan translator to work on some of their localizations" when they got Tomato to work on stuff, when the more accurate thing is that they got an experience professional who had spent years working at one of the most prominent animation localization studios but had also been a part of the fan translation community.

It's nice that they let the people who worked on Mania play up their work in the fan community, but it's not like they picked up people who went directly from making flash games to working on an official Sonic game.

Marcos

Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo allow fan games very quickly we will see a flood of games it would be hard to control, casual gamers wouldnt know whats from Nintendo and what is fan made. At least they C&D once projects are done most of the time so you can still get them.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Fan games are rarely as good as, or better than the original product. Sometimes they have cool gimmick but are more like a couple of levels of a tech demo, others are a finished product but not nearly as polished as an official release. Then there is the very rare few that reach the standard of the official product. Like the Metroid remake, a Pokemon one a few years back and Sonic Mania, Wonderboy and Monsterboy

I see two ways to handle it... The SEGA way and the Nintendo way. SEGA and Nintendo couldn't be further removed in terms of reaction. Nintendo sees it as a threat, they shut that shit down as soon as possible and try to bury it. And while they're 'within their right' it's still really ugly and frankly, it scorns some of their biggest fans.

SEGA, on the other hand, has been excellent, they have shown support of fan games and eventually higher fans to make official products. And why the hell not? They've proven themselves to be competent developers... They are not lesser people because they began working on fan projects, and the pedigree of the work proves that.

So you get a few salty little bitches saying 'SEGA had to higher fans to do their work' No, SEGA highed competent and proven developers who have demonstrated a passion for the project... There are Nintendo fans making brilliant fan games and if Nintendo had any balls they would give them the license and with guidance make it an official product. And yeah, they're 'totally within their right' but it just.... totally sucks, especially for those ultra-talented fans that have put years of work into a fantastic homage with no intention of making a dime.

There are plenty of ways that ultra-talented fans can express their fandom and talent and passion for games without violating copyright law.

In a sense I'm playing devil's advocate here as I would prefer that Nintendo relax on these things as well but I can't in good faith call it shocking that they choose to play these things conservatively. There are naturally going to be companies that find their niche being the cool ones but companies like Nintendo that put an extreme amount of effort into maintaining the brand are gonna exercise every right they can legally to protect said brand. It's historically been difficult for Nintendo to hand properties off to smaller dev teams or western teams within their own company let alone welcome a fan game in open arms. It is not their way and never has been, your time would be better spent asking rain not to be wet.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I always find the outcry over these cease and desists hilarious
Like, what did you expect?

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
As someone who's been close to the development of some nintendo fan games yeah it's tiresome and irritating and personally turned me off in a very big way to Nintendo and the fan game/mod scene. It sucks to read what's essentially 'tough shit' or 'you should have known better' for trying to make something in the likeness of a game that inspired me enough to actually learn how to go about making games.

I still love their games a lot but everything outside of that, eh.

Sep 28, 2018
There are plenty of ways that ultra-talented fans can express their fandom and talent and passion for games without violating copyright law.

Not if your passion is making video games... And I'm going to assume anybody who has taught themselves to make videogames is quite passionate. You don't just idly knock up a fangame while zoned out on the phone.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
This is completely unprovable pure nonsense.
do you have any evidence to the contrary? Go find me the PC-only fan game that overshadowed a major AAA release backed by a multi-million dollar marketing campaign. Go find me the fanfic that stopped people from buying the next installment in a book series or the fan-film that outgrossed a major studio release. Both my argument that fanworks don't affect sales/brand reputation and the arguments of corporations that fanworks do affect sales brand/reputation are predicated on the notion that fanworks have any effect on a product/IP. From where I am standing, it is clear that they do have an effect, but that the effect is not what corporations like Nintendo argue it is when they say they are "defending their intelluctual property" thereby rendering their argument/reasoning void.

PrincessZelda

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
"Holy shit, you've spent the best part of your life together and he dumped you via text?!"

Nintendo Fans: "HE'S WELL WITHIN HIS RIGHT!"

What an absolutely stupid analogy. You clearly have no idea how intellectual property works and the importance of maintaining its value. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so how about these people make something inspired by the franchises they love? Kthxbye

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
do you have any evidence to the contrary? Go find me the PC-only fan game that overshadowed a major AAA release backed by a multi-million dollar marketing campaign. Go find me the fanfic that stopped people from buying the next installment in a book series or the fan-film that outgrossed a major studio release. Both my argument that fanworks don't affect sales/brand reputation and the arguments of corporations that fanworks do affect sales brand/reputation are predicated on the notion that fanworks have any effect on a product/IP. From where I am standing, it is clear that they do have an effect, but that the effect is not what corporations like Nintendo argue it is when they say they are "defending their intelluctual property" thereby rendering that argument void.
That's not how it works.

YOU made the claim you must back it up with proof. You can't make a claim and then say it's true unless someone else can prove otherwise. "God exists and is a green marshmallow man" is true because you can't prove otherwise then?

Claim: "Fan projects have not and have never negatively impacted the existence of a product produced by the IP owner"

Prove it.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
You're wasting time here, plenty of people in this forum will defend Nintendo tooth and nail, we've had threads about this and emulation of Nintendo stuff before, it always devolves into the same thing.

AM2R was amazing and a godsend when we were craving for some more 2D Metroid goodness.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Not if your passion is making video games... And I'm going to assume anybody who has taught themselves to make videogames is quite passionate. You don't just idly knock up a fangame while zoned out on the phone.

This obviously wasn't what I said or meant. Nowhere have I ridiculed or questioned the passion or talent of any fan developer here. What I said was, there are plenty of ways to express their love of games without violating copyright law. In example, by creating indie games that don't violate copyright law. Games like Celeste or The Messenger that are thriving on Nintendo platforms.

In a sense I think creating fan games is kinda punk rock and I think it's cool, but I just don't see the point in villainizing Nintendo when they're pretty much acting extremely in character.

Edminton

Jun 4, 2018
I know I've already seen this argument brought up, but I feel it's worth repeating: stop pouring your heart and soul into a fan project, and put it into something original instead. Be inspired, sure, but there's nothing truly worthwhile to be gained from shackling yourself to a pre-existing property that doesn't belong to you.

It's maybe a bit of a shame that Nintendo can be so over-protective, I suppose, but... How about we let go, and move on to new characters and worlds, new ideas and gameplay mechanics.

Accept that mario doesn't belong to you, and come up with something better. How is that not a much more exciting and fulfilling prospect? This seems like such a silly thing to get worked up over.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
do you have any evidence to the contrary? Go find me the PC-only fan game that overshadowed a major AAA release backed by a multi-million dollar marketing campaign. Go find me the fanfic that stopped people from buying the next installment in a book series or the fan-film that outgrossed a major studio release. Both my argument that fanworks don't affect sales/brand reputation and the arguments of corporations that fanworks do affect sales brand/reputation are predicated on the notion that fanworks have any effect on a product/IP. From where I am standing, it is clear that they do have an effect, but that the effect is not what corporations like Nintendo argue it is when they say they are "defending their intelluctual property" thereby rendering their argument/reasoning void.
While there's no way to actually quantify the impact it had to the point to where I sincerely doubt it had any *actual* impact, I seem to recall SquareEnix sorta implying that they were shoveling some of the blame for Chrono Trigger DS under performing on fans of Crimson Echoes being incredibly dumb about going around and discouraging people to not bother with CTDS for its new content because CE was going to be the more worthy place to get new CT content.

Regardless, that was at least definitely a case where SquareEnix was being shitty, rather than the Chrono Resurrection project that I imagine was bound to get mentioned at some point that basically sank itself.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Someone do me a favor: Name me a fan game, aside from AM2R (which we know the reason for) that Nintendo has CnD'd.

A fan game. Not ROMs or fan ports of official games. Original fan created software based on Nintendo IP or mods of existing games.

And let me shoot down the old standbys:
Pokemon Uranium's dev said he never got a CnD

Half of Project M's team shut the project down and cut and run to go make their own game of their own volition.

Go.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
You're wasting time here, plenty of people in this forum will defend Nintendo tooth and nail, we've had threads about this and emulation of Nintendo stuff before, it always devolves into the same thing.
Well, now that we have the meta discussion about attacking Nintendo fans for defending everything, it has devolved into the same thing.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Plenty of fans/developers have taken inspiration from Nintendos game design without having to use their IPs.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
They are literally protecting their own IP. Does it suck? Sure. Are they wrong? No.
Every article that is published, every thread made in this topic, hurts their brand. It looks bad. What if a kids draws a picture of Mario and shares it with his friends? What if he makes an animation? A level in Dreams or LittleBigPlanet? Where is the line? Can we really prove that fan projects hurt an IP? I think we could argue that actually they help the franchise by adding more attention and clout. Every Mario fan project lends hype to Mario. So when Nintendo makes a new Mario, the hype bubble is inflated by these fan projects.

What about legacy games that Nintendo wants to profit from? Again, the legacy is kept alive by fan projects. People will want to try SMB after seeing it ported to commodore 64.

Bottom line, do we really know fan projects hurt Nintendo more than they help, or are we just being paranoid or corporate cheerleaders by defending them?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Someone do me a favor: Name me a fan game, aside from AM2R (which we know the reason for) that Nintendo has CnD'd.

A fan game. Not ROMs or fan ports of official games. Original fan created software based on Nintendo IP or mods of existing games.

And let me shoot down the old standbys:
Pokemon Uranium's dev said he never got a CnD

Half of Project M's team shut the project down and cut and run to go make their own game of their own volition.

Go.

Super Mario 64 HD. https://roystanross.wordpress.com/super-mario-64-hd/ "Note: This project is not currently available for download due to a request by Nintendo."

Zelda 30 ""Nintendo asked us to remove this site for copyright infringement. I guess Zelda30Tribute was a little too pixel perfect 🙂 We're sad about that, but we get it. We started this project because we love Nintendo and the joy they have given us throughout the years. From the start of development, we knew this result could potentially happen. Nintendo has every right to protect their IP. No complaints from us, we had a blast working on this tribute and made some friends along the way."
Pokemon Brown

Pokemon Essentials. "Today, the Pokémon Essentials wikia and all downloads for it have been taken down due to a copyright claim by Nintendo of America. "

Breath of the NES. "Unfortunately, Nintendo has asked me to take stop hosting the game. It can no longer be downloaded."

Need more?

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really, really was not. It was a good amateur game but was patchy as hell and was a design mess on several levels. It would have been crucified as amateurish if released as a commercial product.
I've heard AM2R called many things but "patchy as hell" and "a design mess" was never one of them. I'd love to hear what makes you think that.

Also the game was created by an amateur so calling it amateurish is not wrong except this guy created a better Metroid-like game than many professional developers out there.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
They're a business. Why allow the potential for competition when you can easily remove the threat completely? After all, games are getting easier and easier to make as the years go on. And you may as well be consistent with your ruling, regardless of the quality of the game.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard AM2R called many things but "patchy as hell" and "a design mess" was never one of them. I'd love to hear what makes you think that.
While this is, in part, due to elements from the original game, AM2R's bosses aren't particularly good (either the re-designed bosses or the new ones) and the original areas added to the game are clearly a step beneath the elements that were based on existing areas (as conceptually interesting as the abandoned ship was, it's a whole lot of nothing for something that wants to be the wrecked ship from Super Metroid).

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
That's not how it works.

YOU made the claim you must back it up with proof. You can't make a claim and then say it's true unless someone else can prove otherwise. "God exists and is a green marshmallow man" is true because you can't prove otherwise then?

Claim: "Fan projects have not and have never negatively impacted the existence of a product produced by the IP owner"

Prove it.
I'm arguing against the original claim that fan projects do affect sales/brand awareness, bro. Nintendo's argument is predicated on nothing, they said one thing and audiences assumed it to be true. What would I even be looking for here? Examples of things not happening? Nintendo or the OP has to defend their side with actual support before I can level a developed counter-argument against it. But I genuinely don't think they have an argument and have been relying on fans' willingness to prostrate themselves to make up for their lack of an argument. Your "god is a green marshmallow" take is a total fallacy because what I'm arguing is that Nintendo's argument is a "god is a green marshmallow" fallacy. The burden of proof is still on Nintendo. Nintendo has nothing to fear but tells us that there is something to fear.

I can point to series like Mother which have benefited enormously from fan translations or I can point to series like Streets of Rage and Jet Set Radio which still enjoy relevance today because of mods, fan-games, and websites like jetsetradio.live. Would Earthbound have charted so highly on the Nintendo eShop if there wasn't a recurring belief that by buying the game that more Mother titles would come to America? Would the Mother series be as popular if it weren't for the (illegal) efforts of the fan community to distribute the games and make them accessible to Westerners? There exist QOL patches for every Mother game, all of them a violation of copyright. There is more evidence for fan communties being beneficial to a brand's health than against it. Nintendo is the one making the fallacious argument that defies evidence. Earthbound did great on the eShop because of a decade-plus worth of fans working against Nintendo's wishes. Earthbound fans were the ones who marketed the game and gave it retroactive success, not Nintendo.

nairume has cited a case where SE cited Crimson Echoes as being the cause for the DS port of Chrono Trigger's low sales. However, they even admit that SE was probably just being shitty. When you look at the sales of non-Nintendo JRPGs on the Nintendo DS, they are almost universally abysmally low. Suikoden Tierkries, Valkyrie Profile, TWEWY, Phantasy Star Zero, Sands of Destruction, and countless other titles sold poorly. Likely, the only JRPG titles (non-Pokemon) that sold well were the Final Fantasy remakes and the DQ games (in Japan). Unless RPG Maker was taking JRPG fans by storm from 2006-2011, I think it was that the market didn't want classic-style JRPGs.

(also Chrono Trigger DS sold 790k copies, hardly a small amount. Square Enix just likes to drag its feet on Chrono because they know they can't make a new one.)

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Every article that is published, every thread made in this topic, hurts their brand. It looks bad. What if a kids draws a picture of Mario and shares it with his friends? What if he makes an animation? A level in Dreams or LittleBigPlanet? Where is the line? Can we really prove that fan projects hurt an IP? I think we could argue that actually they help the franchise by adding more attention and clout. Every Mario fan project lends hype to Mario. So when Nintendo makes a new Mario, the hype bubble is inflated by these fan projects.

What about legacy games that Nintendo wants to profit from? Again, the legacy is kept alive by fan projects. People will want to try SMB after seeing it ported to commodore 64.

Bottom line, do we really know fan projects hurt Nintendo more than they help, or are we just being paranoid or corporate cheerleaders by defending them?
The onus is on those defending law breaking to justify it.

If you can prove Mario fan games increase sales of official Mario games, be my guest: present the evidence.

I asked the other guy for evidence as to 'no fan games ever negatively impacted sales' and got radio silence.

Also the game was created by an amateur so calling it amateurish is not wrong except this guy created a better Metroid-like game than many professional developers out there.
Okay. The original sprite/tile work was clearly of a lower quality than the ripped original Nintendo assets, it was day and night between them, literally looked like patchwork between professional and amateur graphically.

It was also glitchy and awkward in many spots, I believe unofficial community patches (lol 'unofficial') have improved it over the years but I played the original release. The world and action design were below par compared to the best Metroid games, including Samus Returns, whose main issues in that front were being stuck with the Metroid II basic structure (which it built on as best it could), AM2R had a similar problem but was significantly more limp in its methods of adding to/working around it.

And yes it was indeed better than many Metroid-likes in many ways, but was still an amateur game through and thorough, it could not have been released as a commercial Metroid game without severe criticism.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
This thread was created with a premise based off of entitlement and arguing in bad faith, and has since devolved into pointless bickering. As a result, the thread will be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.