• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
I don't mind the changes to the trade system so much, though I can see other members of my clan struggling a bit with trades now.

The "alternate unit skins" thing seems stupid though. It just makes the playfield more visually confusing for now, though I guess that will go away as I get used to it and the instant reconition of units comes back.

Having tower customization would have made a lot more sense and be less distracting though.

OP
OP
SUBZERO-08

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the new trading system needs some major improvements. Nobody wants to spend a token to do a trade which they are neutral about, when before people would do that all the time.

I don't mind the skins, but I think they are too costly. I've been playing almost daily since launch and only have 50,000 skin points. That's just enough to get my Hog Rider to the third tier. I feel like the prices should be cut in half given how much time it takes to earn them.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Looks like this thread isn't the most active, but is there an Era clan? I got really into the game a few years ago and slowly stopped playing it. I re-downloaded it about a week ago and I'm hooked again. If there's no Era clan what's the best way to go about choosing one?

It's kind of funny how little the game seems to have changed. I'm sure high-level play has evolved a lot since I last played but I'm a little shocked how quickly I'm rising through the arenas with basically the same strategies I remember from 2015. Right now my deck mostly focuses around the prince, goblin barrel, and hog rider. I'll throw out either the prince or hog rider and if they attempt to counter it I throw both the barrel and the other charge character down the other lane. I've had a few hilarious matches where they seemingly caught onto the trick, but they'd just sit and let the first charger wail away on their tower in anticipation of a rush down the other side.

Also surprised at how few updates there seems to have been. I quite playing right around the time the jungle arena and its characters were released. I've only seen like two cards I don't remember, some sort of swarm of bats and the hunter.

Still loving it though. I honestly don't even remember what the benefits of being in a clan are and the game doesn't seem to say, but hopefully I can find one. I vaguely remember that you have to hit some sort of communal goal each week to earn something.

b33r

Oct 25, 2017
All the clans are still neogaf clans as the game doesn't allow you to change your clan name.

If none of the other "gaf" clans have room, we'll check our roster. I'm fairly sure we have some people that aren't playing.

OP
OP
SUBZERO-08

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like this thread isn't the most active, but is there an Era clan? I got really into the game a few years ago and slowly stopped playing it. I re-downloaded it about a week ago and I'm hooked again. If there's no Era clan what's the best way to go about choosing one?

It's kind of funny how little the game seems to have changed. I'm sure high-level play has evolved a lot since I last played but I'm a little shocked how quickly I'm rising through the arenas with basically the same strategies I remember from 2015. Right now my deck mostly focuses around the prince, goblin barrel, and hog rider. I'll throw out either the prince or hog rider and if they attempt to counter it I throw both the barrel and the other charge character down the other lane. I've had a few hilarious matches where they seemingly caught onto the trick, but they'd just sit and let the first charger wail away on their tower in anticipation of a rush down the other side.

Also surprised at how few updates there seems to have been. I quite playing right around the time the jungle arena and its characters were released. I've only seen like two cards I don't remember, some sort of swarm of bats and the hunter.

Still loving it though. I honestly don't even remember what the benefits of being in a clan are and the game doesn't seem to say, but hopefully I can find one. I vaguely remember that you have to hit some sort of communal goal each week to earn something.

The main benefit of being in a clan is being able to request cards. Every 7 hours you can put in a card request for any common or rare card, and on Sunday you can request once for an epics. By donating cards to your clan members you also receive gold and XP.

You're remembering the old Clan Chest, where you'd need to get X number of crowns as a clan to receive the best reward. They've removed that system and added a new one. Now there is something called Clan Wars. When your clan opts into a Clan War, it becomes a two part event where on the first day members do 3 Collection Day battles each in order to collect cards to use in battle on War Day. On War Day, you build a deck from the cards you unlocked and do a battle. After each war you get rewards (gold, trade tokens, gems) and every two weeks you get a chest based off your clan's best finish in a war.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
Finally managed to reach 4900 level with this deck

5kf2gy.png

OP
OP
SUBZERO-08

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
January balance changes announced:

The way we approach card balance in Clash Royale is a combination of playtesting, listening to the community and looking at the stats. You can expect monthly balance updates to keep gameplay fine tuned and as fun as possible.

In this balance update we're taking a look at Magic Archer, Goblin Giant, Freeze and more!

Watch the quick-look video!

---

• Heal: Elixir Cost decreased 3 -> 1, Duration Reduced 2.5 -> 2, Healing/sec -63%
Heal being a 3-cost counter to 4-cost Spells can create some frustrating metagames. A vast majority of decks only run one larger Spell, several run multiple small Spells. Reducing Heal to 1 cost makes it more appealing to Hog Rider, Miner, or Goblin Barrel cycle decks. Fear not! Decks like Three Musketeers will not able to counter Fireball + Zap.

• Magic Archer: First Attack faster
We nerfed Magic Archer two months ago but the effect was more than we expected. He's a unique and fun Legendary who opens up a lot of clever gameplay, so we are returning some (but not all) of his first attack speed to bring him back up to competitive play.

• Goblin Giant: Hitpoints +3%, Spear Goblin Range Increased
The Goblin Giant is one of the least used win conditions in the game, but one of the most fun to play. We want to inch him closer to viability by increasing his Hitpoints and letting his Spear Goblins throw a tiny bit further. While they are riding in his backpack, they use their higher vantage point for longer range throws!

• Golem: Golemite Death Damage Pushback reduced
Across the board, Golemites are lesser than their big Golem daddy. One stat where they are the same is Death Damage Pushback, creating weird situations where tiny Golemites knock back larger Troops several tiles. The knockback has been cut in half to feel more intuitive and allow for easier Golemite defense.

• Freeze: Tower Damage -65%
Since last month's rework, Freeze has been dealing full damage to Crown Towers. This isn't consistent with other damaging Spells, so we have applied the -65% damage to Towers that all other Spells have.

• Sparky: Range Increased 4.5 -> 4.75
This electric lady has needed a bit of a buff, as she is stopped at range by the ever-popular Electro Wizard. This minor range increase will allow her to blast away an Electro Wizard, and lock onto towers ever-so-slightly sooner.

• Battle Ram: Charge Damage -11%
The slammin' ram has become a critical component in multiple high winrate decks. From Three Musketeers to P.E.K.K.A to Barbarian Hut decks, Battle Ram consistently outperforms its peers on offense while providing defensive blocking in a pinch. We want to make Battle Ram a bit less powerful when it connects, bringing it more in line with Hog Rider on offense.

• Barbarian Hut: Hitpoints -7%
The Barbarian Hut has remained unchanged for years and during that time has come in and out of the meta. The problem is that when the meta supports it, it becomes an unbreakable wall of defense. This past month is the third time Barbarian Hut has had a top win rate in the game, so we are adjusting the building health to be lower.

• Barbarian Barrel: Deploy Time reduced
Barbarian Barrel shot up the use and win rate charts after a recent buff that made the Barbarian deploy a bit faster. This made his first attack nearly instant and prevented counterplay. We are reverting half of the increase, trying to bring it into an acceptable win rate.

• Valkyrie: Hit Speed increased 1.6 -> 1.5
We spent this month revisiting prior balance changes to see where we overdid it. The final change this month is giving Valkyrie some of her Hit Speed back. She was very popular for a while, but her win rate has dropped well below the 45% we aim for despite a meta full of Battle Ram and Three Musketeers that she would ideally be strong against.

---

Let us know what you think about these changes below!

See you in the Arena,

The Clash Royale Team

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
  • Sparky: Range Increased 4.5 -> 4.75
This electric lady has needed a bit of a buff, as she is stopped at range by the ever-popular Electro Wizard. This minor range increase will allow her to blast away an Electro Wizard, and lock onto towers ever-so-slightly sooner.

This is going to be huge for me. People can often just-barely stop Sparky from firing with a combo of Log or Tornado and a distraction troop. This should make that harder. Oddly enough, ewiz is usually not an issue for me to play around (and I often get to shoot them anyway). But hitting towers or other big targets sooner will be great.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh. 1-cost cards are interesting for the cycle benefits almost regardless of their actual effect. Seems cool, I would play around with it except that I don't think I've ever upgraded Heal at all. 😅

OP
OP
SUBZERO-08

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. 1-cost cards are interesting for the cycle benefits almost regardless of their actual effect. Seems cool, I would play around with it except that I don't think I've ever upgraded Heal at all. 😅
My Heal is still at Level 1 (or whatever the equivalent is after they normalized card levels). It seems like an interesting change, but I don't really see it making it into some of the low-cost decks that are already in the game, like 2.6 Hog or Xbow. In those decks, all the cards they currently have are needed and have very specific roles.

I could see some sort of super low cost Miner cycle deck using Heal become popular though. As well as the return of Heal 3M like Ignatz mentioned. It will also likely pair well with swarms, so maybe some Log Bait decks with Heal or even Giant + Minion Horde.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The thing about healing a GB is it really only helps you against a Zap mitigation-counter. For most real counters, your only counter play is precise aim and curveball placements.

Agent

Oct 25, 2017
New update news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBLyQh6egvE&t=0s

-Trade updates: You now select up to 4 cards you are willing to giveaway in a trade. Players will then select which one they want.
-New arena, Spooky Town, is at 3600 trophies. This will bump up Legendary arena awards. Arena trophy levels and cards that are unlocked in each are getting modified with the new arena. If you unlocked a card that moves to a higher arena you will still get them from chests.
-Lunar New Year game mode. Royal Hogs spawn automatically on each side (1 to start, 2 in double elixir).
-Mini Collection mode game mode. Essentially it works exactly like war games where you have 40 cards unlocked to build a deck around. Each player will have different cards in their collection of 40 to choose from.
-New card: Wall Breakers. These are from Clash of Clans and are an Epic that cost 3 elixir. Two wall breakers charge toward a building then explode.

Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Balance Changes coming tomorrow (2/4)

• Musketeer: Damage +3%
The basic Musketeer Troop is supposed to be a strong single target ranged attacker, strong against medium sized bodies. In practice, she is often set aside for other ranged attackers with more utility. We are improving what she is meant to be good at (shooting stuff), and she is now able to destroy Baby Dragon, Prince, Inferno Dragon (and more) in one fewer shot.
  • Three Musketeers: Elixir Cost increased 9 -> 10
Three Musketeers has been a balancing problem for a while – they have dominated multiple metagames and resisted every balance change. We have tried to indirectly nerf them by buffing counters or nerfing support cards in the deck. Despite this, the deck persists at extremely high win rates.

The time has come to try a more direct nerf, paired with a buff to the basic Musketeer. Ideally the increased cost is offset partially by the increased power level, and the card finds itself in a balanced place for 2019.
  • Freeze: Damage -6%, Freeze Duration Reduced 5.0sec -> 4.0sec
Freeze has been a top tier Spell for two months. It's on the high end of acceptable win rates, but after seeing how it impacts the metagame we have decided it is not a card we want to be that powerful or that popular. Freeze is antithetical to our desire of having counterplay and Troop-based combat as the main drivers in a game of Clash Royale, so we are taking it down a power level.
  • Cannon Cart: Hit Speed faster 1.3 -> 1.2
Revisiting past balance changes, Cannon Cart was nerfed due to high win rates in a variety of decks. A small nerf dropped it to near the bottom of use rate charts, indicating the card was not overpowered but merely a victim of being good in that metagame. We want Cannon Cart to exist as a viable counter to cards like Mortar, X-Bow, and Bowler so we are reverting the nerf from a few months back.
  • Knight: Hitpoints +2.5%
The main draw of Knight is his high health pool. However, Knight can only take two hits from the popular P.E.K.K.A. We hope that increasing Knight's pool to need 3 P.E.K.K.A hits will make Knight a compelling defensive alternative to Rascals, Ice Golem, and Valkyrie.
  • Dart Goblin: Hit Speed slower 0.65sec -> 0.7sec
Dart Goblin it meant to be high-risk, high-reward, but the fast attack speed creates a lot of damage in the short time that he is alive. Slowing down the attack speed reduces the overall damage output while opponents can respond.
  • Clone: New Clone placement (Clone now placed behind Cloned Troop)
The animation of shifting left for Clone created some odd moments, sometimes the Clone would get ahead of the original Troop. Now the Clone Spell will always put the Cloned Troop behind the original, protecting it for better, more consistent attack strategies.
---
The changes to Clone are already live!

RIP Three Musketeers. Their usage rate is going to plummet after tomorrow. Only way they would have worked at 10 elixir is if the "11th elixir" was still in the game. They needed to be nerfed, not sure if this was the answer. I'm guessing this is just for now until they figure out a better nerf solution.

Also, happy about the freeze nerf. That is a card that has been really obnoxious since the rework.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
3M decks are among the ones I hate the most that I actually beat more than half the time. There are builds I hate more, but that's because I am weak against them. Golem decks would also be in the "I can beat them, but it sucks playing them" category, as well as LavaLoon decks.

OP
OP
SUBZERO-08

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017

RIP Three Musketeers. Their usage rate is going to plummet after tomorrow. Only way they would have worked at 10 elixir is if the "11th elixir" was still in the game. They needed to be nerfed, not sure if this was the answer. I'm guessing this is just for now until they figure out a better nerf solution.

Also, happy about the freeze nerf. That is a card that has been really obnoxious since the rework.
They should have just recolored the troop, gave it a new name, and made their stats independent of the regular Musketeer. I won't complain too much though, I'm just glad it's gone.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yup, they killed my deck. Strategy has completely changed, and they inadvertently buffed fireball and lightning while doing this. They could have nerfed it some other way.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They can destroy even more value than before. Expensive 3M makes heavy spells more efficient in theory.

But in practice, you'll never see 3M anyway so... 🤣

I've been playing Sparky in 2v2 a lot lately. I'm way overdue for a new 1v1 deck so I'm experimenting with some cards. It's hard to get work done in 2v2 because the chance of a Zap or EWiz always available is super high. Also most of my success is people absolutely panicking and overcompensating / flubbing the counterplay.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, so only versus 3M. Yeah, I'm in the camp that says that 3M is going to diminish and that's not going to be as big a deal.

Re: Sparky, you all know my feelings on the matter, and those feelings are *love*.

People *not* reacting to Sparky is a lot of my play. They overcommit to counter her and ignore the rest of the push, or think they can just zap or distract her (as you could easily do when her recharge time was longer) and she gets a hit off anyway.

Sparky is the distraction half the time, with my Giant/Graveyard doing the work (sometimes in the same lane, sometimes in the opposite lane).

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand

Am kind of at the same point myself having upgraded my deck to max a while back, and recently having hit Level 13. Grinding for the visual upgrades isn't compelling for me (I have enough to start upgrading but haven't bothered actually upgrading). I now also have an abundance of gold and gems. The new cards aren't particularly interesting, at least beyond working out how to defeat them with my deck (which seems to be the general consensus given the vast majority of matches are "old school" decks).

Going through the motions with the game to some extent. And yet, still playing and getting my Crown Chest and engaging in the War every single day. Kind of like a smoking habit perhaps.

If they want to mix things up, they really need to introduce a couple of cards at once that when combined form a new win condition. That's about the limit of my ideas on where they could go. Things like the Royal Hogs match mode for CNY were a fun diversion, even if I was terrible at it, so maybe more of that kind of event based freshness?

OP
OP
SUBZERO-08

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
Once I maxed my deck, I started branching out so I would be able to try out different decks. I started by maxing a custom Hog cycle deck, then saw that Hog 2.6 shared a lot of common elements, so I maxed that. I then realized that Hog 2.6 and Xbow 2.9 are very similar and I would only need to upgrade a few more cards to get Xbow 2.9 maxed as well. Now I've maxed Miner and am working on getting support cards for it upgraded. By doing this I've opened up a lot of different possibilities for decks I can use on ladder.

I'd just consider what type of decks you like to play, and upgrade stuff that shares some cards with your already-maxed deck.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I wrote that mostly in jest, but I'm pretty much doing what you suggest, Sub. There are a few cards that have always interested me (Balloon, Giant Goblin) that I have been building up, as well as Valk which seems to be a staple of many decks.

OP
OP
SUBZERO-08

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
I wrote that mostly in jest, but I'm pretty much doing what you suggest, Sub. There are a few cards that have always interested me (Balloon, Giant Goblin) that I have been building up, as well as Valk which seems to be a staple of many decks.
Yeah, Goblin Giant would work really well with your style of deck. I've seen a Goblin Giant + Sparky deck going around in challenges that seems quite strong.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welcome! The game really is excellent. Mid-career progression stagnates a little, and the high-level meta is a bit stale, but the game fundamentals are so strong.

Be sure to join a clan when you can. I'm sure one of the GAF / Reset clans can find you a spot if you ask here.

Oct 27, 2017
Dinuba, CA
Welcome! The game really is excellent. Mid-career progression stagnates a little, and the high-level meta is a bit stale, but the game fundamentals are so strong.

Be sure to join a clan when you can. I'm sure one of the GAF / Reset clans can find you a spot if you ask here.
Thanks! I tried searching for a spot in a clan but I guess they are either filled up or I'm not doing something right on my end haha.

b33r

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I tried searching for a spot in a clan but I guess they are either filled up or I'm not doing something right on my end haha.

I sent you a link to join our clan, we have a few spots open. All the clans here are still named after neogaf since they don't let you change clan name.

We talked about merging a era clan, but the clans are too active.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain me the deployment delay on swarm troops? What is the purpose?