• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I mean, Coulson literally sent the helicarrier used in Age of Ultron to help out everyone. That was while AoS was an ongoing series. Not to mention stuff like Sif etc.
Anything else is purely semantics of what they want to interpret. Darkhold? It's a mythical book that is different every time someone sees it. Multiverse? AoS jumped around all over the damn place in the later few seasons.

I honestly just want them to have Coulson, Daisy and Quake show up with Mack as the current head of SHIELD just so we can be done with this nonsense.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Multiverse can explain it all, I don't see the issue with any of these shows being cannon. Would love the AoS characters to come back even if just for a cross over in another Marvel TV show, they could easily do it now too.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This. Never watched a second of the show and never saw any discussion about the movies having a single drop of reference or callback or anything to AoS or any of the netflix shows. It's been this way for years and always will be, until the D+ shows started where Fiege straight up said you need to watch them to follow along properly.

Remember at the end of Age of Ultron when Shield had a big Helicarrier? That was a plot point in Agents of Shield and the entire reason shield had the helicarrier to use was because of Theta Protocol and the events of Phil and the gang.

The crossovers go both ways and people are just ignorant to the fact.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Coulson literally sent the helicarrier used in Age of Ultron to help out everyone. That was while AoS was an ongoing series. Not to mention stuff like Sif etc.
Anything else is purely semantics of what they want to interpret. Darkhold? It's a mythical book that is different every time someone sees it. Multiverse? AoS jumped around all over the damn place in the later few seasons.

I honestly just want them to have Coulson, Daisy and Quake show up with Mack as the current head of SHIELD just so we can be done with this nonsense.
The Darkhold is brought up in the article along with Gregg himself saying he's adept to the things happening within the MCU. If he meant that AoS is still canon via the multiverse, I think he would have said that. I'm pretty sure he meant it's canon to the MCU proper

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Remember at the end of Age of Ultron when Shield had a big Helicarrier? That was a plot point in Agents of Shield and the entire reason shield had the helicarrier to use was because of Theta Protocol and the events of Phil and the gang.

The crossovers go both ways and people are just ignorant to the fact.

Helicarrier is a one-way crossover. AoS writing team knew of the Helicarrier in advance and built a subplot into season 2.
In Age of Ultron there is no reference to anything from the series. It's just Fury and his former SHIELD staff from the movies manning the helicarrier.

The only proper two-way crossover thus far is Jarvis from Agent Carter. That's pretty much the only bone thrown to us tv fans...

Oct 25, 2017
Don't have any problem with people saying they're canon, especially with mutiverse shenanigans now, but I get the feeling some people want these to be acknowleged as in continuity with the MCU in the hope that their favourite characters will appear again, which seems unlikely. I'd love Charlie Cox and Vincent D'Onofrio to show up, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Helicarrier is a one-way crossover. AoS writing team knew of the Helicarrier in advance and built a subplot into season 2.
In Age of Ultron there is no reference to anything from the series. It's just Fury and his former SHIELD staff from the movies manning the helicarrier.

The only proper two-way crossover thus far is Jarvis from Agent Carter. That's pretty much the only bone thrown to us tv fans...
why wouldn't actors from the movies showing up in AoS not count as a two way crossover?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Darkhold is brought up in the article along with Gregg himself saying he's adept to the things happening within the MCU. If he meant that AoS is still canon via the multiverse, I think he would have said that. I'm pretty sure he meant it's canon to the MCU proper
The multiverse is the MCU proper. Y'all are just being obtuse on purpose at this point. It's kinda weird.

You also ignored all the other inconsistencies that pop up in the show, especially in the later seasons but there's plenty of it early on too. I get that you want the show to exist in the same timeline as the previously released movies, but it just… can't? How do you explain all the shit that doesn't fit? How do you explain inhumans and their complete absence in the movies?

It's time to move past the denial stage.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
The multiverse is the MCU proper. Y'all are just being obtuse on purpose at this point. It's kinda weird.

You also ignored all the other inconsistencies that pop up in the show, especially in the later seasons but there's plenty of it early on too. I get that you want the show to exist in the same timeline as the previously released movies, but it just… can't? How do you explain all the shit that doesn't fit? How do you explain inhumans and their complete and utter absence in the movies?

It's time to move past the denial stage.
No it isn't. When ZeoVGM says MCU proper they mean the MCU (UNIVERSE). For example Sylvie is a character that is part of the MCU (FRANCHISE) but not the MCU (UNIVERSE). She's just from the multiverse, the specific multiverse introduced in the MCU I guess unofficially called the MCM. And I think you understand this, so i don't appreciate you calling me or anyone obtuse because of it. There is no need for the name calling.

I'm not moving past anything. If the studio decides to ignore the legacy tv shows, it's a mistake and that's on them.

edit: I responded to you in a previous quote too, saying essentially all the same

second edit: I watched some of the Netflix MCU but not ABC MCU. The inconsistencies were discussed in the James Gunn thread and by the end of it it's been established that despite the studio messing up where the narrative would go with Thanos' actions, it still works. it's just muddy. I didn't ignore them either

Last edited:

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
why is everyone saying the multiverse is the only way to keep the tv shows canon???

The way changes in timeline work in the MCU is established as splitting timelines and not actually changing things that happened in the past.

Now, one could make a convoluted argument that the time shenanigans in AoS around the time of Thanos's snap coincide with the events in the movies, but AoS acts like the rules are Back to the Future and not like the rules are Endgame's, because the AoS writing team had no idea what was happening in Infinity War and Endgame.

So, I'm happy to think of the first 4 seasons as being in the same timeline or a very similar one, but AoS's cast is already existing in a different timeline than they were at the start of the show, if you force the show to go by the movie's and Loki's rules of timeline changes.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
i only watch maybe a third of the marvel movies and the only show I watched was Jessica Jones season 1 so I don't have a big stake in this one way or the other but: If something is only cannon because creatives say its cannon in interviews, that's not real cannon. If it has no impact on the main works, is never referenced in the main works, if the main works are literally unchanged if this thing never existed... that is not cannon.

Dec 21, 2017

Fitz and Simmons too. and May.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who watched and loved Agents of Shield and doesn't care that much for most of the MCU movies, it wasn't a concern of mine at any point how or if they were connected. I felt like after the Hydra reveal it kind of stopped mattering and I always just considered Shield an awesome standalone, ensemble sci-fi show with superpowered leanings and lots of cool deep cuts for Marvel diehards.

I don't really feel like there's any huge benefit to being well versed in the MCU movie lore while watching Agents of Shield and if you're only a big fan of the MCU movies, you aren't missing anything super relevant to them if you skip Shield, and that's the only truly important takeaway there should be. Arguing about how/where it fits into canon just seems like wasted effort to me.

Shield works as a standalone thing and it's wonderful and I'm legitimately jealous the many people who skipped it and might get to discover and watch it all for the first time with fresh eyes.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
The obsession of some of the fanbase about canon is not healthy and handcuffs what creators can do. If a writer creates something and there's some trivial fact that doesn't match up that happened 30 years ago by a completely different creative team, the comic nerds swarm and dismiss his work as "not canon". It's ridiculous. So now multiverse and "what if" and elseworlds need to be specified because the fanbase freaks out if it isn't.

A comic company shouldn't have to comply to decades of comic history for every insignificant little thing. Each character doesn't have to be consistent. Just enjoy each story for what it is. Dismissing a creators work by nit picking about canon is easily the most annoying thing about comic fans.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
I can't say I particularly care about whether AoS is 'canon' with the films either. Once it gets past the first series, it's largely it's own mythology that crosses over sometimes, it's just a few Easter eggs for fans. Not everything needs to work as a single tapestry.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
The obsession of some of the fanbase about canon is not healthy and handcuffs what creators can do. If a writer creates something and there's some trivial fact that doesn't match up that happened 30 years ago by a completely different creative team, the comic nerds swarm and dismiss his work as "not canon". It's ridiculous. So now multiverse and "what if" and elseworlds need to be specified because the fanbase freaks out if it isn't.

A comic company shouldn't have to comply to decades of comic history for every insignificant little thing. Each character doesn't have to be consistent. Just enjoy each story for what it is. Dismissing a creators work by nit picking about canon is easily the most annoying thing about comic fans.

Agreed. It's dumb as all hell, and it's pretty much made me sour on super hero adaptations. It's all just fiction. It's not actually real you guys.

b1b04019-9c0a-470b-9l0j00.jpeg

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No it isn't. When ZeoVGM says MCU proper they mean the MCU (UNIVERSE). For example Sylvie is a character that is part of the MCU (FRANCHISE) but not the MCU (UNIVERSE). She's just from the multiverse, the specific multiverse introduced in the MCU I guess unofficially called the MCM. And I think you understand this, so i don't appreciate you calling me or anyone obtuse because of it. There is no need for the name calling.

I'm not moving past anything. If the studio decides to ignore the legacy tv shows, it's a mistake and that's on them.

edit: I responded to you in a previous quote too, saying essentially all the same

second edit: I watched some of the Netflix MCU but not ABC MCU. The inconsistencies were discussed in the James Gunn thread and by the end of it it's been established that despite the studio messing up where the narrative would go with Thanos' actions, it still works. it's just muddy. I didn't ignore them either
First off, your arbitrary definitions of what is or isn't "MCU" are completely false. The MCU is just the name for the franchise. Up until recently all the movies within it have taken place in the same timeline (if we want to get nerdy with it, Earth-19999). But now that the multiverse is in play the doors are blown open for what is possible. Sylvie is part of the MCU. Spider-Man 3 and Doctor Strange 2 will be part of the MCU, despite the fact that their stories will likely take us to multiple universes. "MCU" is just the franchise name for content produced by Marvel Studios.

Second, you need to watch Agents or SHIELD to really engage in these discussions. Because that is where the vast majority of the narrative inconsistencies lie. And they're big ones. There are thousands of super-powered humans on the planet in that show, some way more powerful than most Avengers. It's been a while but I believe there were even laws enacted to suppress their rights etc. At the time I kept thinking, these are huge events in this world. Captain America would've had something to say about it, for example. Especially once the Sokovia Accords came into play. The two universes frankly just don't align. One of the AoS plotlines involved them going to space to kill an inhuman god who could absorb all other inhumans' powers, enslave the planet and eventually the universe. They sent their little SHIELD team instead of alerting Fury, Avengers, etc. That one goes far beyond just "where was Iron Man in The Winter Soldier?" That's a colossal threat, as big or bigger than Thanos. It simply doesn't make sense for it to be completely split off from the mainline heroes. Frankly it somewhat diminishes their stories if a few nerds with SHIELD badges is all it takes to defeat a god. The show did this multiple times. Shit got crazy by the end. Again, this isn't even getting into the Infinity War situation which is an entirely different discussion.

AoS fans tend to just hand wave away all these inconsistencies because they don't actually care about continuity. They tend to be comics fans first and foremost so they're used to shit not making sense and they don't care if everything fits. They explain away shit like the darkhold because it's not technically a hard contradiction, but they ignore all the issues that logically make no sense because they don't actually care if anything makes sense. They like the individual characters so the rest is whatever.

Letting the show go nuts like that was probably the right move for it because otherwise it would've been boring. But it also turned it into a separate thing because it no longer aligns with the movies. Luckily, now there is an out since current MCU stories are revolving around the multiverse. We can bring any of these characters back now and not have to explain away the narrative inconsistencies. Quake can be an Avenger now. There can be an inhuman royal family that doesn't suck shit and Johnny Storm can date Crystal. Kamala can play fetch with Lockjaw. Daredevil and Kingpin can interact with Spider-Man while a new Iron Fist is introduced. It's just… better, this way.

Doctor Strange 2 is called "Multiverse of Madness." There have been several comics runs about merging universes etc. I would not be surprised to see that movie definitively reseat some of the beloved Marvel TV characters in Earth-19999 (god I hope they retcon that number lmao). This way all those characters' stories still happened, but now they can exist alongside everyone else without being ignored second fiddles. Everyone can be happy. It's such a good solution to an inherently messy problem. I don't understand why anyone would be against it.

Last edited:

Retrocide

Oct 28, 2017
I believe a good compromise would be to say that the show started off in the MCU proper but ended up in a different but similar one by the time it was over. There's was the time loop they were stuck in and they also used the quantum relm to time travel into a different reality and even left Deek to lead what was left of SHIELD in that timeline.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
First off, your arbitrary definitions of what is or isn't "MCU" are completely false. The MCU is just the name for the franchise. Up until recently all the movies within it have taken place in the same timeline (if we want to get nerdy with it, Earth-19999). But now that the multiverse is in play the doors are blown open for what is possible. Sylvie is part of the MCU. Spider-Man 3 and Doctor Strange 2 will be part of the MCU, despite the fact that their stories will likely take us to multiple universes. "MCU" is just the franchise name for content produced by Marvel Studios.
Yeah, just the franchise. It's the fans who create the universe and the creators sort of have to go along with it to satisfy the fanbase. Other movie franchises are guilty of this assumption too. Pretty much all science fiction franchises gets considered their own "universe". Crossovers make some interesting content.

Comics are by far the worst though. When each multiverse gets numbered it's a bit ridiculous.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
The way changes in timeline work in the MCU is established as splitting timelines and not actually changing things that happened in the past.

Now, one could make a convoluted argument that the time shenanigans in AoS around the time of Thanos's snap coincide with the events in the movies, but AoS acts like the rules are Back to the Future and not like the rules are Endgame's, because the AoS writing team had no idea what was happening in Infinity War and Endgame.

So, I'm happy to think of the first 4 seasons as being in the same timeline or a very similar one, but AoS's cast is already existing in a different timeline than they were at the start of the show, if you force the show to go by the movie's and Loki's rules of timeline changes.
Hmm, I don't know though. Endgame established that splitting timelines changes the past, but not the time travelers' past. The time travelers' past stays in tact, but by visiting the past, they create different realities by doing so. Endgame created 3 new timelines in the years 1970, 2012, and 2014.

I would think that the argument for saying AoS is part of the MCU via multiverse is that all of the events are just taking place in a parallel universe, but not the main one. For me, it starts to get convoluted from there because what does that mean for the main universe? Did AoS never exist? Or did they, and in a different fashion?

The obsession of some of the fanbase to vehemently tell others in the same fanbase that they're wrong and that they know better is just as unhealthy. Also I don't think the writers are handcuffed by what the fans say. The Russo brothers said the Defenders didn't show up in Av3 because they felt that the film would have become too crowded. They, nor any authoritative figure, never said anything about feeling pressured by the fans to incorporate more Marvel TV characters in with Marvel movie characters.

I am not even sure if the studio would have retconned the Mandarin to being a real villain in 2013 if it hadn't been for the polarizing reaction to the fakeout in Iron Man 3. For all intents and purposes, the studio absolutely did not need to retcon the Mandarin because that movie was a massive success. Iron Man 3 earned $1.2 billion at the box office, with a 79% on RT. The mainstream audience seemingly loved it, so it was definitely a move for the fans to come out with "All Hail the King" and imply that there is a real Mandarin, and he's still somewhere out there in the MCU.

Personally I think they did the right thing and now we have Shang Chi with the Mandarin as the antagonist and the movie itself is one of the best solo comic book movies in my opinion.

Second, you need to watch Agents or SHIELD to really engage in these discussions. Because that is where the vast majority of the narrative inconsistencies lie. And they're big ones. There are thousands of super-powered humans on the planet in that show, some way more powerful than most Avengers. It's been a while but I believe there were even laws enacted to suppress their rights etc. At the time I kept thinking, these are huge events in this world. Captain America would've had something to say about it, for example. Especially once the Sokovia Accords came into play. The two universes frankly just don't align. One of the AoS plotlines involved them going to space to kill an inhuman god who could absorb all other inhumans' powers, enslave the planet and eventually the universe. They sent their little SHIELD team instead of alerting Fury, Avengers, etc. That one goes far beyond just "where was Iron Man in The Winter Soldier?" That's a colossal threat, as big or bigger than Thanos. It simply doesn't make sense for it to be completely split off from the mainline heroes. Frankly it somewhat diminishes their stories if a few nerds with SHIELD badges is all it takes to defeat a god. The show did this multiple times. Shit got crazy by the end. Again, this isn't even getting into the Infinity War situation which is an entirely different discussion.

AoS fans tend to just hand wave away all these inconsistencies because they don't actually care about continuity. They tend to be comics fans first and foremost so they're used to shit not making sense and they don't care if everything fits. They explain away shit like the darkhold because it's not technically a hard contradiction, but they ignore all the issues that logically make no sense because they don't actually care if anything makes sense. They like the individual characters so the rest is whatever.

Letting the show go nuts like that was probably the right move for it because otherwise it would've been boring. But it also turned it into a separate thing because it no longer aligns with the movies. Luckily, now there is an out since current MCU stories are revolving around the multiverse. We can bring any of these characters back now and not have to explain away the narrative inconsistencies. Quake can be an Avenger now. There can be an inhuman royal family that doesn't suck shit and Johnny Storm can date Crystal. Kamala can play fetch with Lockjaw. Daredevil and Kingpin can interact with Spider-Man while a new Iron Fist is introduced. It's just… better, this way.

Doctor Strange 2 is called "Multiverse of Madness." There have been several comics runs about merging universes etc. I would not be surprised to see that movie definitively reseat some of the beloved Marvel TV characters in Earth-19999 (god I hope they retcon that number lmao). This way all those characters' stories still happened, but now they can exist alongside everyone else without being ignored second fiddles. Everyone can be happy. It's such a good solution to an inherently messy problem. I don't understand why anyone would be against it.
I still disagree with you and you're contradicting yourself by partially agreeing with me. I am fully aware of the fact that "Marvel Cinematic Universe" is the official title of the multimedia franchise created by Marvel Studios and Disney, and that is why in my previous post I made the distinctions in parantheses when talking about the MCU as a (FRANCHISE) and as a (UNIVERSE), as in the main setting that most MCU IPs take place in. Sylvie is part of the MCU franchise, but she is not part of the MCU main universe. There already is a Loki character in the MCU main universe, and he died in Avengers: Infinity War. Even Loki the protagonist of the Loki TV show is not part of the MCU main universe (again, that main Loki was murdered by Thanos), he is part of a parallel universe the Avengers created when they time traveled to 2012 and an alternate reality was born. Within the context of the main setting, the main universe where 90% of the movies and shows take place, neither Sylvie nor protagonist Loki are part of it.

To your second point, I discussed with other posters in the James Gunn thread about what exactly in the MCU movies messes up the plot of AoS. The conclusion drawn was that for example the blip, technically the storytelling isn't messed up. It is just off-putting that it isn't mentioned that much as one of the biggest events in human history. So all that tells me is that if Marvel Studios did want to bring back AoS characters into the fold, they could. And they could just pick and choose when and how much to reference from AoS' past, just as ZeoVGM explained in this thread how they handled referencing The Incredible Hulk.

I can't speak personally for AoS fans, but I am a Netflix MCU fan and I see no reason to bring the Netflix characters back via multiverse. They were meant to be in the main MCU, so they should be continued to be portrayed as such. Therefore I can agree with you on the bolded. They don't have to reference every single thing that happened in the Netflix shows or even reference often; look how little the amount was that TIH's references were throughout this franchise.

Dr. Strange 2 will be all about the multiverse, but even then I'm willing to bet that Dr. Strange's setting will begin in the main MCU. Again, going by your logic since anything is possible with the multiverse, Shang Chi could've taken place in a different universe. But it took place in the main MCU. Why is that? They could have set it in any parallel universe, so why didn't they? The easiest answer is that there is more connective tissue with this character and his future arc if his world's entire world history is the same as the vast majority of the other characters. I feel the same way about the Netflix MCU characters and those on AoS.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
\
Hmm, I don't know though. Endgame established that splitting timelines changes the past, but not the time travelers' past. The time travelers' past stays in tact, but by visiting the past, they create different realities by doing so. Endgame created 3 new timelines in the years 1970, 2012, and 2014.

I would think that the argument for saying AoS is part of the MCU via multiverse is that all of the events are just taking place in a parallel universe, but not the main one. For me, it starts to get convoluted from there because what does that mean for the main universe? Did AoS never exist? Or did they, and in a different fashion?

Right, so by the end of AoS, AoS is in a different timeline than it started in, because the one it started in ends with the Earth being destroyed. Similar situation in the MCU.

So, my personal interpretation is that AoS and all of the TV series have always been in a very closely parallel universe to the MCU proper and it is up to the viewer to decide what makes the most sense to them. There have been opportunities to make AoS canon that were left unsaid, most notably in Loki not mentioning that Coulson was revived. So the difference between the two universes *may* be that Coulson is back in one and not in the other.

Ms. Marvel is likely where we start getting irreconcilable continuity breaks with AoS, because of Inhumans, unless they are going to make her not-an-Inhuman. If Inhumans show up in the MCU, there's zero chance they are going to have the Inhumans show count as canon, and they are very unlikely to do anything that would require people go back and watch season 3 of AoS to understand what's going on.

The advantage of the multiverse is that Marvel can break continuity however it likes and say "well, that was a similar but different timeline" and if they do this right, it won't piss everyone off. (If they do it all the time, it will.)

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still disagree with you and you're contradicting yourself by partially agreeing with me. I am fully aware of the fact that "Marvel Cinematic Universe" is the official title of the multimedia franchise created by Marvel Studios and Disney, and that is why in my previous post I made the distinctions in parantheses when talking about the MCU as a (FRANCHISE) and as a (UNIVERSE), as in the main setting that most MCU IPs take place in. Sylvie is part of the MCU franchise, but she is not part of the MCU main universe. There already is a Loki character in the MCU main universe, and he died in Avengers: Infinity War. Even Loki the protagonist of the Loki TV show is not part of the MCU main universe (again, that main Loki was murdered by Thanos), he is part of a parallel universe the Avengers created when they time traveled to 2012 and an alternate reality was born. Within the context of the main setting, the main universe where 90% of the movies and shows take place, neither Sylvie nor protagonist Loki are part of it.

To your second point, I discussed with other posters in the James Gunn thread about what exactly in the MCU movies messes up the plot of AoS. The conclusion drawn was that for example the blip, technically the storytelling isn't messed up. It is just off-putting that it isn't mentioned that much as one of the biggest events in human history. So all that tells me is that if Marvel Studios did want to bring back AoS characters into the fold, they could. And they could just pick and choose when and how much to reference from AoS' past, just as ZeoVGM explained in this thread how they handled referencing The Incredible Hulk.

I can't speak personally for AoS fans, but I am a Netflix MCU fan and I see no reason to bring the Netflix characters back via multiverse. They were meant to be in the main MCU, so they should be continued to be portrayed as such. Therefore I can agree with you on the bolded. They don't have to reference every single thing that happened in the Netflix shows or even reference often; look how little the amount was that TIH's references were throughout this franchise.

Dr. Strange 2 will be all about the multiverse, but even then I'm willing to bet that Dr. Strange's setting will begin in the main MCU. Again, going by your logic since anything is possible with the multiverse, Shang Chi could've taken place in a different universe. But it took place in the main MCU. Why is that? They could have set it in any parallel universe, so why didn't they? The easiest answer is that there is more connective tissue with this character and his future arc if his world's entire world history is the same as the vast majority of the other characters. I feel the same way about the Netflix MCU characters and those on AoS.
For the record, ZeoVGM is one of the individuals I'm talking about who clearly doesn't actually care about continuity. Most of the explanations you read from them are half-assed excuses that don't address any of the real problems. They (and you) keep focussing on the blip but that isn't even the biggest issue IMO. The biggest issue is the thousands and thousands of very public superpowered beings who are never referenced in any of the movies. That goes far beyond "what ever happened to Abomination or the scientist from The Incredible Hulk." Both of them are back in play now anyway.

At the very least, Agents of Shield needs to be separated. It's just too inconsistent to keep it in the same universe. As for why separate the reast of the Marvel Television series... I mean, that's obvious. They weren't produced by Marvel Studios. They were never part of "the plan" for the franchise. Feige had no involvement in any of them (sole exception being season 1 of Agent Carter). Maybe Marvel Studios wants to use some of those characters now and not be beholden to the decisions made by other producers back when Feige and Perlmutter were at war with each other? Again, key example -- Inhuman royal family. There are characters there that should show up in other MCU stories. But not the characters from that horrendous TV show. Iron Fist falls into this category too. You can't pick and choose characters without multiversing the lot of them, and it would get too complicated trying to say "this one was same universe this one was other." Just blanket all of them as a separate reality and make it easy.

That's a reason why a fan like me wants them to be separated. But there are plenty of business reasons too, which I won't really get into again because who cares. tl;dr - Netflix is a direct competitor to Disney now, and those shows are on Netflix forever.

In any case, I highly doubt it's a coincidence that the movie where Doctor Strange opens the multiverse to bring in characters from different franchises is the first example of a Netflix character appearing on screen in a Marvel Studios production. It's pretty clear what is happening.

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
For the record, ZeoVGM is one of the individuals I'm talking about who clearly doesn't actually care about continuity.

lol

Good lord. Some of y'all.

In any case, I highly doubt it's a coincidence that the movie where Doctor Strange opens the multiverse to bring in characters from different franchises is the first example of a Netflix character appearing on screen in a Marvel Studios production. It's pretty clear what is happening.

Nope. It isn't clear at all. If he appears on screen, it's going to be short role/cameo as Peter's lawyer and have nothing to do with the multiverse plot.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Will not ever understand the fascination with what's canon and what's not. It's a fantastic show regardless, the rest literally doesn't matter.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Because they went one way
I can't tell if this is a joke post or not, but what does Nick Fury going one way (technically he went both ways) not count as a two way crossover? He was in the movies, and he was in the shows. But anyway, there was also a cameo from Jarvis in the second act of Endgame, so it's the other way...
\

Right, so by the end of AoS, AoS is in a different timeline than it started in, because the one it started in ends with the Earth being destroyed. Similar situation in the MCU.

So, my personal interpretation is that AoS and all of the TV series have always been in a very closely parallel universe to the MCU proper and it is up to the viewer to decide what makes the most sense to them. There have been opportunities to make AoS canon that were left unsaid, most notably in Loki not mentioning that Coulson was revived. So the difference between the two universes *may* be that Coulson is back in one and not in the other.

Ms. Marvel is likely where we start getting irreconcilable continuity breaks with AoS, because of Inhumans, unless they are going to make her not-an-Inhuman. If Inhumans show up in the MCU, there's zero chance they are going to have the Inhumans show count as canon, and they are very unlikely to do anything that would require people go back and watch season 3 of AoS to understand what's going on.

The advantage of the multiverse is that Marvel can break continuity however it likes and say "well, that was a similar but different timeline" and if they do this right, it won't piss everyone off. (If they do it all the time, it will.)
I don't see the multiverse being an advantage if it is going to be used like that, if anything it'd be more of a scapegoat in my opinion. Using the multiverse when it works is for example the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies, which we got a taste for with Doctor Octopus from there returning. The multiverse might also be their way in bringing in Deadpool who was in the X-Men universe. These universes were never part of the MCU (UNIVERSE), they are not even parallel universes like the timelines we visited in the Loki tv show.
For the record, ZeoVGM is one of the individuals I'm talking about who clearly doesn't actually care about continuity. Most of the explanations you read from them are half-assed excuses that don't address any of the real problems. They (and you) keep focussing on the blip but that isn't even the biggest issue IMO. The biggest issue is the thousands and thousands of very public superpowered beings who are never referenced in any of the movies. That goes far beyond "what ever happened to Abomination or the scientist from The Incredible Hulk." Both of them are back in play now anyway.

At the very least, Agents of Shield needs to be separated. It's just too inconsistent to keep it in the same universe. As for why separate the reast of the Marvel Television series... I mean, that's obvious. They weren't produced by Marvel Studios. They were never part of "the plan" for the franchise. Feige had no involvement in any of them (sole exception being season 1 of Agent Carter). Maybe Marvel Studios wants to use some of those characters now and not be beholden to the decisions made by other producers back when Feige and Perlmutter were at war with each other? Again, key example -- Inhuman royal family. There are characters there that should show up in other MCU stories. But not the characters from that horrendous TV show. Iron Fist falls into this category too. You can't pick and choose characters without multiversing the lot of them, and it would get too complicated trying to say "this one was same universe this one was other." Just blanket all of them as a separate reality and make it easy.

That's a reason why a fan like me wants them to be separated. But there are plenty of business reasons too, which I won't really get into again because who cares. tl;dr - Netflix is a direct competitor to Disney now, and those shows are on Netflix forever.

I read through all of the posts made by ZeoVGM again just now. At no point at all does their explanations come off as half-assed, I find it all to be logical and sensible - for example as I alluded to earlier, their comparisons to TIH references in the MCU and how there weren't any in the early phases and only in Phase 3 did it start and moreso in Phase 4. Sure, they're back in play now, but it was kind of obvious that Bruce's Banner's history was being ignored throughout the MCU's storytelling compared to the other Avengers.

This same level of slow buildup can be how Netflix MCU and ABC MCU characters can be reintroduced to the MCU proper. They even go on to explain why AoS can fit into the MCU proper despite the mishaps in communication between Marvel Studios & Marvel TV; it's another elaborate explanation like the conversations in the James Gunn thread. So no, I wouldn't say ZeoVGM doesn't care about canon and continuity. If anything, their participation in this thread shows that they do care, their opinion is just not the same as yours.

Also, I strongly disagree with what you say in the bolded. You're making it sound like Feige is the outright owner of the MCU, and he's not. Disney is. The highest authority at Disney gets to decide what is MCU and what is not. Two months after Avengers' theater run:

After The Walt Disney Company purchased Marvel Entertainment in 2009,[SUP][76][/SUP] they announced that a Marvel Television division was being formed under Jeph Loeb.[SUP][77][/SUP][SUP][78][/SUP] In the following months, various pilots based on comics from Marvel's catalog went into development.[SUP][79][/SUP][SUP][80][/SUP] In July 2012, Marvel Television entered into discussions with ABC to make a new series set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). The series was described as "'a kernel of an idea' with a number of scenarios being explored, including a high-concept cop show."[SUP][81][/SUP]

This was set in stone from the beginning. You can't say "Feige didn't say so, so it ain't so" this show was canon to the MCU whether Feige, or haters liked it or not. And the same goes for Netflix MCU; Disney had to wait for Fox's Daredevil rights to expire first, and then:

In April 2013, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige confirmed that the film rights to Daredevil and his associated characters reverted to Marvel from 20th Century Fox in October 2012, allowing those characters to be used within the Marvel Cinematic Universe.[SUP][44][/SUP][SUP][45][/SUP] As explained by head of Marvel Television Jeph Loeb in 2015, Marvel Studios had "first dibs" on the character once the rights had reverted.[SUP][46][/SUP] Drew Goddard pitched a new Daredevil film to Marvel, but Marvel was not looking to create an R-rated film, and Goddard did not want a "watered down version" of the character, as he also explained in 2015: "I went into Marvel and talked to them about making it as a movie a couple of years ago, long after the Affleck movie. But what we all sort of realized is that, this movie doesn't want to cost $200 million. The thing about Matt Murdock is, he's not saving the world. He's just keeping his corner clean. So it would feel wrong to have spaceships crashing in the middle of the city. But because of that, Marvel on the movie side is not in the business of making $25 million movies. They're going big, as they should."[SUP][47][/SUP] Marvel Studios eventually decided that the character would be better served in a television series.[SUP][46][/SUP]

Hell, there is even this quote from Feige himself that I put in the OP:

I read this comment the other day where someone said that about, 'Did this diminish Agents of SHIELD?' And [Feige] said, 'Ya know, I think you're really underestimating how powerful and passionate the fans of that show and the Netflix shows are and were,' and I would never underestimate them or the possibility those characters, cause I really want to see (Daredevil actor) Charlie Cox, I really want to see people who love those shows, I want to see it all get crossed over as much as it could, cause I think that's what the Marvel fans want," he added.

and he's damn right about that. he's fully aware of the Netflix MCU's popularity and he wouldn't take advantage of the built-in fan bases that the live action versions of those characters have. So far intents and purposes, these tv shows were absolutely meant to be canon to the films. It doesn't matter of Feige produced them or not. As for Iron Fist, I made a separate thread about how I believe they should soft reboot him, but not the rest of the Netflix MCU. And in that thread some people suggested skipping straight to Colleen Wing with Jessica Henwick, and honestly I'm fine with that too. As long as they never bring Finn Jones back which they won't have to a la TIH's picking and choosing of references.

Bringing them back via multiverse would have the opposite effect; it would add more complications than simplicity. It would then beg the question of, what was going on with Matt Murdock and Quake in the MCU proper, if the ABC and Netflix shows featured variants? What was happening in the main universe instead of the multiverse where these shows' events supposedly took place? It's far better to continue establishing that the events of their shows happened in the main continuity.

If you personally don't want to see ABC and Netflix MCU crossover to the movies, that's your right and opinion as a fan. But there are millions of other fans who want the exact opposite, and our opinions are just as valid as yours because we are all part of the same fan base. I'm just saying, name calling does not get anyone anywhere in these discussions.

Also, the Netflix character showing up in an MCU movie is still unconfirmed. But there was an ABC character that showed up in an MCU movie two years ago. The biggest one, in fact.

lol

Good lord. Some of y'all.

Nope. It isn't clear at all. If he appears on screen, it's going to be short role/cameo as Peter's lawyer and have nothing to do with the multiverse plot.
Exactly. It's far too much to speculate on when the role hasn't been confirmed. I don't think Jameson's cameo in FFH ever leaked come to think of it, they got away with being tight lipped and keeping that a secret till the movie came out

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I can't tell if this is a joke post or not, but what does Nick Fury going one way (technically he went both ways) not count as a two way crossover? He was in the movies, and he was in the shows. But anyway, there was also a cameo from Jarvis in the second act of Endgame, so it's the other way...

Not a joke post. I had already mentioned Jarvis as the only example of the movies acknowledging something from tv.
But everything else is one-way. AoS picks up stuff from the movies and integrates it into the plot but never vice versa.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the multiverse being an advantage if it is going to be used like that, if anything it'd be more of a scapegoat in my opinion. Using the multiverse when it works is for example the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies, which we got a taste for with Doctor Octopus from there returning. The multiverse might also be their way in bringing in Deadpool who was in the X-Men universe. These universes were never part of the MCU (UNIVERSE), they are not even parallel universes like the timelines we visited in the Loki tv show.

Every Marvel property, regardless of who made it is part of the same Multiverse that the MCU is part of, because that's how the Marvel multiverse has always worked. Even the Japanese Spider-Man tv show is canon, as an alternate timeline, and makes appearances occasionally in the comics when multiversial stories are going on.

The advantage to being able to hand wave minor continuity errors because of the timeline is being free to not have to keep every single implication of every idea put into a movie in 2009 while making a movie in 2030. There's a concept called a "no prize" in Marvel fandom, which is something you win by sending in a letter explaining away a continuity mistake in the comics. Done right, this kind of hand waving is subtle and not made explicit and left to fans to "figure out."

The more obvious advantage is being able to pull in an existing Doc Ock and Deadpool, etc.

That said, I think if we see Daredevil, Wilson Fisk, etc, being played by the same actors in the MCU, it's a parallel version of the Netflix show version and if they need to break continuity with Netflix to tell the story they want to tell, they will.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I strongly disagree with what you say in the bolded. You're making it sound like Feige is the outright owner of the MCU, and he's not. Disney is. The highest authority at Disney gets to decide what is MCU and what is not.
Unless the new management goes a different path, yes, that's exactly how the situation resolved after years of tensions with Perlmutter and Marvel TV in general. In 2019 Feige was made Chief Creative Officer of all Marvel (including the comics) and Marvel Television was folded into Marvel Studios. He has the final say on everything now, and Iger elevated him to that level because of all the other conflicting forces in previous years.

And yes, he knows there are fans out there who like the TV shows. That's exactly why we're in this ridiculous position of him obviously not wanting to commit to the shit Marvel TV did at the time, but being hesistent to just wipe it all away because he knows there are fans and he is generally in the business of pleasing fans.

If you personally don't want to see ABC and Netflix MCU crossover to the movies, that's your right and opinion as a fan. But there are millions of other fans who want the exact opposite, and our opinions are just as valid as yours because we are all part of the same fan base. I'm just saying, name calling does not get anyone anywhere in these discussions
Those fans have bad taste.

The Marvel TV shows were... fine. But people who think Agents of SHIELD is legitimately "the best of the MCU" are nuts.

And again. Agents of SHIELD does not align with the movies. I'm sorry that people wish that it did. I kinda wish it did too. But it just doesn't.

Last edited:

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
The Marvel TV shows were... fine. But people who think Agents of SHIELD is legitimately "the best of the MCU" are nuts.

Allow me to have a nuanced opinion along these lines: because of consistent characterization over the course of multiple seasons, the best of AoS is the most emotionally intense and satisfying material in the MCU and Iain De Caestecker is the best actor in the entire MCU... but AoS is wildly inconsistent and genuinely mediocre for long stretches early on, making it a big ask to get anyone invested in it enough for the (incredible) season 4 & 5 pay off.

(I was tempted to say AoS also has the worst of the MCU related shows but Inhumans and Iron Fist exist)

maddieJ

Oct 27, 2017
South Portland, ME

It's one way, because the the show referenced the movies, but the movies never referenced the show. Yes, Nick Fury was in both, but the movies never made refence to him being in the show.

People keep bringing up the helicarrier as proof the movies referenced the show, but that is not the way it worked. Age of Ultron was written first and the script (or plot info) was given to the Agent of Shields writes, who wrote the subplot about the helicarrier. TV production is faster, so the episodes came out before (or at the same time) as the movie.

Coulson stayed dead in the MCU, but of course, this could change. I'm personally hoping for a "What If... Coulson Survived" episode setting up in the Agents of Shield universe, that will finally establish it as it's own thing.

philipnorth

Oct 31, 2017
Didn't Fury also something like: ' I got it with some help from old friends?' In age of ultron regarding the helicarrier?

Not saying this is any proof though.

Personally I want AoS to be part of the main line, I think they could be, for at least part of the show and then they branched off.

I definitely want some of the cast to get a proper role though, even if it is only in a D+ show

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Not a joke post. I had already mentioned Jarvis as the only example of the movies acknowledging something from tv.
But everything else is one-way. AoS picks up stuff from the movies and integrates it into the plot but never vice versa.
My bad, you did say that. Let me ask you this though, did the one way crossover from movies to the shows not reinforce the idea that it is all happening in the same world?
Unless the new management goes a different path, yes, that's exactly how the situation resolved after years of tensions with Perlmutter and Marvel TV in general. In 2019 Feige was made Chief Creative Officer of all Marvel (including the comics) and Marvel Television was folded into Marvel Studios. He has the final say on everything now, and Iger elevated him to that level because of all the other conflicting forces in previous years.

And yes, he knows there are fans out there who like the TV shows. That's exactly why we're in this ridiculous position of him obviously not wanting to commit to the shit Marvel TV did at the time, but being hesistent to just wipe it all away because he knows there are fans and he is generally in the business of pleasing fans.

Those fans have bad taste.

And again. Agents of SHIELD does not align with the movies. I'm sorry that people wish that it did. I kinda wish it did too. But it just doesn't.
The bolded was a good move. If Disney+ existed in 2015, Daredevil would have easily been the first MCUD+ show. However, my point still stands. Back when the shows were incepted, they were meant to be canon to the movies. I don't think Feige ever said anything about the tv shows back then but even if they did, it was beyond his authority back then. Avengers Tower was in the Daredevil teaser trailer which was posted on Marvel's YouTube channel. Also in 2015, Cox had an interview talking about Spider-Man and whether there would ever be a chance to do a crossover; 2015 was the same year Spider-Man was announced to join the MCU. This type of conversation wouldn't have happened if the show wasn't set in the same universe. Back then I remember people comparing Marvel TV do DC TV and how the latter was purposefully a different universe and how Marvel TV was not going to be like that.

Now just yesterday ZeoVGM made another thread about a rumor involving Vincent D'Onofrio showing up in Hawkeye. As you explained, Feige is now in charge of all Marvel TV. Besides the rumors we heard about Spider-Man: No Way Home, this is adding more fuel to the flame of Netflix MCU being brought back into the MCU as a soft reboot.

By the way, I never said I saw fans say that ABC MCU was "best of the MCU". I said fans wanted ABC MCU to crossover to the MCU proper. But if we are talking about Marvel TV being the "best of the MCU" I will without a doubt say that the Daredevil series is still way better than several of the MCU movies. Daredevil was my favorite by far even though it had its issues, but I also really liked Luke Cage which, by the way, crashed Netflix for a couple of hours when it premiered because it was so hyped. All of the Netflix MCU shows were generally well received except for Defenders (that's a story for another time) and Iron Fist, which was so bad I made a separate thread about it.

I didn't watch AoS, but the conversation I had in the James Gunn thread makes me feel like the alignment while not perfect and convoluted can still make sense. And whatever doesn't make sense can be soft rebooted. What I care the most is just about bringing back Quake and Ghost Rider because I know those characters are fan favorites.
It's one way, because the the show referenced the movies, but the movies never referenced the show. Yes, Nick Fury was in both, but the movies never made refence to him being in the show.

People keep bringing up the helicarrier as proof the movies referenced the show, but that is not the way it worked. Age of Ultron was written first and the script (or plot info) was given to the Agent of Shields writes, who wrote the subplot about the helicarrier. TV production is faster, so the episodes came out before (or at the same time) as the movie.

Coulson stayed dead in the MCU, but of course, this could change. I'm personally hoping for a "What If... Coulson Survived" episode setting up in the Agents of Shield universe, that will finally establish it as it's own thing.
Wait a minute, what??? I thought Marvel Studios never shared ANY secrets with Marvel TV and that's why things got so complicated when Thanos became a main character. If the studio did share movie details with ABC then I think it absolutely makes the Helicarrier proof especially with what philipnorth suggested up above too. Even if that's not proof that certainly is in favor for ABC MCU tying into Age of Ultron.

maddieJ

Oct 27, 2017
South Portland, ME
Wait a minute, what??? I thought Marvel Studios never shared ANY secrets with Marvel TV and that's why things got so complicated when Thanos became a main character. If the studio did share movie details with ABC then I think it absolutely makes the Helicarrier proof especially with what philipnorth suggested up above too. Even if that's not proof that certainly is in favor for ABC MCU tying into Age of Ultron.

For the first 2 or 3 seasons they were privy to movie plot lines and such, so they could write around those stories and include them in the show. Like Hydra in season 1 and the Helicarrier in season 2. That cooperation ended when Marvel Studios split from Marvel Entertainment. After that, it was clear the writers no longer had any idea what was happening in the show. Leading up to Infinity War, it seemed the only thing they knew was what was in the trailers.

Even when there was more cooperation between the 2 divisions, the movies never acknowledged anything the shows setup. Inhumans became a known thing to the public in the show, but never referenced at all in the movies. The only exception (as has been mentioned) is Jarvis, from Agent Carter, but Marvel Studios was actually involved in that show.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
For the first 2 or 3 seasons they were privy to movie plot lines and such, so they could write around those stories and include them in the show. Like Hydra in season 1 and the Helicarrier in season 2. That cooperation ended when Marvel Studios split from Marvel Entertainment. After that, it was clear the writers no longer had any idea what was happening in the show. Leading up to Infinity War, it seemed the only thing they knew was what was in the trailers.

Even when there was more cooperation between the 2 divisions, the movies never acknowledged anything the shows setup. Inhumans became a known thing to the public in the show, but never referenced at all in the movies. The only exception (as has been mentioned) is Jarvis, from Agent Carter, but Marvel Studios was actually involved in that show.
I see. I thought whoever was in charge of AoS was the same talent behind Agent Carter. Last night I did some reading on old MCU TV shows and there are several others, another one called Cloak & Dagger. I don't even know what network it was on but that's also supposed to be in the MCU. And then there are some Hulu originals? If there are Marvel shows on Hulu after 2019 then it sounds like Disney wanted them to be canon too, otherwise what would even be the point

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I see. I thought whoever was in charge of AoS was the same talent behind Agent Carter. Last night I did some reading on old MCU TV shows and there are several others, another one called Cloak & Dagger. I don't even know what network it was on but that's also supposed to be in the MCU. And then there are some Hulu originals? If there are Marvel shows on Hulu after 2019 then it sounds like Disney wanted them to be canon too, otherwise what would even be the point
Cross promotion, name recognition, and a hook to get people to watch the show. Simple as that. Same as all the other Marvel shows they produced. Notice that all those shows are cancelled now that Feige is in control of the tv side.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Cross promotion, name recognition, and a hook to get people to watch the show. Simple as that. Same as all the other Marvel shows they produced. Notice that all those shows are cancelled now that Feige is in control of the tv side.
I have not heard of the Hulu original Marvel shows until I read about it, yet this whole year I've been into Disney+'s.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
That's because they were lower profile shows with lower marketing budgets. Runaways premiered in 2017 as a Hulu original I believe, and Cloak and Dagger premiered on Freeform in 2018.
Yes, I was mistaken then. Runaways was the one I was reading about and it was on Hulu before Disney bought Fox.