• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
...there's been much debate over whether Agents of SHIELD is true MCU canon. The series ignored the world-changing events of Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame, but the early seasons' connections to the movies couldn't be ignored. However, this year's Disney+ shows have included some plot points that led many to further question Agents of SHIELD's place in the overall franchise. For example, WandaVision introduced the Darkhold, but in a vastly different way than Agents of SHIELD season 4. Then, Loki referenced Coulson's death and didn't say anything about his resurrection.

In Gregg's opinion, these storylines have done nothing to diminish his show's place in Marvel canon. While appearing on the Marvel Movie Minute podcast, Gregg first brought up WandaVision and its apparent retcon of Agents of SHIELD's own story. "I've seen places where people felt like SHIELD or something had been de-canonized by stuff that happened in WandaVision in ways I couldn't even quite follow, and I'm pretty adept at this stuff," he said. Gregg then went on to praise MCU head Kevin Feige for his commitment to the fans and how he stood by Agents of SHIELD earlier this year....

Another important quote from Kevin Feige:
...someone said that about, 'Did this diminish Agents of SHIELD?' And [Feige] said, 'Ya know, I think you're really underestimating how powerful and passionate the fans of that show and the Netflix shows are and were,' and I would never underestimate them or the possibility those characters, cause I really want to see (Daredevil actor) Charlie Cox, I really want to see people who love those shows, I want to see it all get crossed over as much as it could, cause I think that's what the Marvel fans want," he added.
comicbook.com

Clark Gregg Stands Behind Agents Of Shield As Canon In The MCU

Avengers star Clark Gregg is standing behind Agents of SHIELD as MCU canon. A lot of Marvel fans [...]

This is good news to me, but this directly contradicts comments from James Gunn who said the opposite. There was ongoing thread about that as well.
www.resetera.com

James Gunn confirms on Twitter that previous Marvel shows are not part of the MCU

I think this was always pretty clear-but this is the first time someone at Marvel Studios confirmed it. The other shows referenced events in the films-but Marvel Studios never collaborated with Marvel Television with anything.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
See and Disney can't call them Legends this time like with Star Wars because they already used that name for the clip show

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hazy on both AoS and WV's intros of the Darkhold, but surely both can co-exist in the sense that it's a (almost) mythical book, so having different "origins" is just as much a storytelling conceit as not. Like saying Lancelot of Arthurian legend is both a great man, and a bad man - two sides of the same coin told in different ways.

Everything is canon with a multiverse.

Yup.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Seasons 1-4 sure. After that from S5 to the end you can say it's in Multiverse territory and all the different time travel shenanigans threw them to a different universe.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
the-office-steve-carell.gif

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
This topic has been getting angry on the various marvel reddits.

But basically it's Schrodingers canon.

Feige is not going to say either way and will avoid outright contradicting or even mentioning any of the shows.

This carries on with the Daredevil rumours that says it's a soft reboot where you assume the stuff from Netflix happened but they won't talk about it. It's also a bit like with the Incredible Hulk (but to a lesser extent), that film is canon but is not really referenced, and even abomination has been soft rebooted with his new look in the Shang Chi film.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Canon is like a beehive full of honey. It's sticky, it's messy, and you're better off admiring it with some distance.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
it all happened somewhere in the multiverse. if they can get the marks excited they'll absolutely reference the TV shows, cartoons, comics, whatever gets the right "pop".

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The whole canon-hood of Marvel TV shows boils down to the scism that took place between Feige and Ike/Jeff Loeb around the time when they were doing Civil War (poetic irony). AoS and the Netflix shows were marketed to be connected to the MCU when they were first announced and during the first few seasons. It was only when Feige got full control of Marvel Studios that this became a question. Now that Feige is in charge of everything, I can see that he might pick and choose, or use the same cast for certain characters, but sadly as a big supporter of AoS, the shows are stuck in this limbo status until Feige confirms. It seems like he doesn't want to outright deny or confirm their status thus far.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's enough wiggle room in the MCU for AoS to exist within the canon. It's not like it'd be the first media franchise to have retcons. Whether it's is officially canon…

who gives a shit?

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
There are multiverses now so why not I guess. I thought the show was ok and I'm not bothered if the show is cannon or not.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Everything is canon with a multiverse.

We literally are in a Multiverse situation...everything is canon lol

This. Everything exists now.

As everyone has said, the multiverse existing gives them all the wiggle room they could ever want lol

The thing is, when Gregg said that I don't think he was saying it with the multiverse in mind. AoS started long before the MCU introduced the concept of a multiverse, and the show was always meant to be part of the MAIN universe OF the MCU, not as some varied parallel universe where the characters exists alongside the characters of the movies

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
IT IS ALL CANON. THAT IS HOW MARVEL COSMOLOGY WORKS. If it is possible there is a universe in the mulitverse where it happens. Hell techincally we are canon as the real world is a universe in the MU. AoS could be an alternative where the events of MCU divulge

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Come on, the movies couldn't even be bothered to drop any of the TV characters in the Endgame battle. Any TV show that referenced the movies is just fan fiction.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Ok Gregg, if you say so.

By extension

DeadlyCourteousAmericanmarten-size_restricted.gif

and all the Inhumans garbage is canon too then.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
why is everyone saying the multiverse is the only way to keep the tv shows canon???

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel particularly strongly about the canon status of Agents of Shield but I really hope they bring back Coulson in future movies. He's a great character and I love Gregg's performance.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's mainly to do with the divergence in continuity... it's hard to reconcile the events of Shield post season 4 with the rest of the MCU.
the divergence in continuity isn't all that convoluted between the shows and the movies though. The ABC MCU and the Netflix MCU isn't the same case as the Fox X Men or Raimi Spider-Men films, where in order to make them canon you establish them as being in the multiverse.

Netflix & ABC MCU were always portrayed as being in the main MCU. I suppose if they wanted to establish them being in a parallel universe like the 1970/2012/2014 alternate timelines that the Avengers created in Endgame, they could, but there is no need for that story wise in my opinion. I'd be happier if these characters exist in the same exact continuity

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Lowkey AoS was doing the Loki shit before Loki

I am just saying

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Because in AoS the events of Infinity War/Endgame never happened.
I had a conversation with posters in the James Gunn thread about that, and what happened in the show wasn't so far off that it's impossible to make sense with what was happening the movies.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Brah

With the Multiverse anything they want can be canon

Honestly this is the best path forward since they can pretty much freely do whatever they want

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
The whole canon-hood of Marvel TV shows boils down to the scism that took place between Feige and Ike/Jeff Loeb around the time when they were doing Civil War (poetic irony). AoS and the Netflix shows were marketed to be connected to the MCU when they were first announced and during the first few seasons. It was only when Feige got full control of Marvel Studios that this became a question. Now that Feige is in charge of everything, I can see that he might pick and choose, or use the same cast for certain characters, but sadly as a big supporter of AoS, the shows are stuck in this limbo status until Feige confirms. It seems like he doesn't want to outright deny or confirm their status thus far.

Yup. I think his choice to neither confirm or deny is the choice that offers him the most options in terms of cast and lore. While Marvel isn't afraid to recast if they have to, it seems pretty clear that they want to avoid it where possible. They seem to prefer to alter a story or remove a character from an appearance rather than recast. For example, by not recasting Jane Foster just to have the character appear in a scene or two in AoU or Thor: Ragnarok, it allowed for Natalie Portman to reappear as the character when both the Actress and the Studio's visions and terms matched.

If Feige canonizes a show publicly, before things are in order both creatively and contractually, he runs the risk of having to deal with recasting at a minimum and both recasting AND potentially limiting future film creatives ideas going forward. Afterall, we're not just talking about locking in the actors but also characters and story arcs. AoS' Inhumans arc would inherently effect Kamala's story, for example. It *could* work but would require writer/directors to write around the AoS plot, limiting ideas.

Of course, this is where the multiverse provides the most options and fertile ground for creatives. Want to bring in Skye/Daisy version of Quake and Chloe Bennet agrees? They can write that character in through Multiverse stuff, keeping their specific background and lore baked in without implications on other characters. Charlie Cox Matt Murdock could confirm Netflix-MCU connections, be brought in solo, or be a "new" iteration of the character entirely... completely at the Creative's discretion and without glaring retcons or conflicts.