• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (permanent): History of hostility towards members and staff, inaccurate attacks on industry/rumor verifications
With the Cyberpunk mess and the two false verifieds in the past week or so, the mods are not exactly putting up a great batting average right now.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
I imagine they mean the Silent Hill stuff if I were to guess, though it seems that situation was a little different than...whatever all this is
That one has just been a long running joke to be honest.

I assumed it might have been the Bluepoint PlayStation acquisition that was apparently "verified" but turned out to be nothing.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Yeah, that one has just been a long running joke to be honest.

I assumed it might have been the Bluepoint PlayStation acquisition that was apparently "verified" but turned out to be nothing.

Oh, that could also be it. I wasn't aware of that one. I mean I know it's been rumored for a long time but didn't know there was, like, a verified person talking about it or whatever

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That one has just been a long running joke to be honest.

To be fair, I don't think that one was fully "Verified." The reason for the "ban if not done by end of feb" was because of that iirc

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
theres no way that Max and Chloe aren't coming back seeing as how poorly LiS2 did. they'll bring them back for sure

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
At least you admitted to it, only thing you can do when you get hoodwinked. Sad that the Era verification is such a crapshoot though, think its giving people the wrong idea about the credence of many of these rumours that they don't necessarily deserve and giving people false hope is something to be avoided.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I feel like the Era mod verification thing should never have been a thing, anyway.

It lends undue credibility to rumors from people who, I will be blunt, are not trained to or experienced at investigating sources or fakes. Anyone can be fooled, even old hands at it, but it's weird that there's a rubber stamp for "This person has sources!" even when that person outright admits their sources were making things up.
Yeah, just seems like a bad idea that ends in... well, this

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Thanks for being honest.

Honestly, a rumour is a rumour no matter if the person is a known insider or not. People shouldn't get so hung up on this stuff.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this raises a valid question about how mod verification of leaks works.
they have to solve a few of these

blank-rb-22tzkqk.png

hqdefaultyqj6j.jpg

Response from Era staff

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
When we verify a rumor we normally never elaborate publicly on what evidence we're shown, in order to protect the careers of the people involved, and to ensure that others can feel confident in approaching us with information. In this case however we have no choice but to be more specific because our own integrity has now been called into question.

In November of last year the OP showed us scripts that were allegedly used in the VO casting for Life is Strange 3. Note that this member changed their username from Bingo to Bing (along with other account details including location) before posting their previous thread.

unknown.png

Proof2.png

They provided the name of one of the outsourcing companies involved and the details appeared to line up. We judged that the length and detail of the script was convincing, and so we gave them permission to post about Life is Strange 3 at their discretion. To ensure their security we did not save copies of the script. We were never shown anything pertaining to a Life is Strange 4, which is why our staff post in the previous thread mentioned only 3.

Needless to say we hate having to put this out there, but if you want to post leaked/insider information then you do so at your own risk, and later backpedalling and throwing our staff under the bus is not acceptable. It puts us in a position where we have no choice but to respond.

Oct 25, 2017
Hold on, wait. What.
The user sent fake information and is now pretending this never happened and instead is claiming it came from reddit and Era (lol)?
And what they sent was some low quality audio files which they now never mentioned and also they named some outsourcing company?
I am genuinely confused.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Hold on, wait. What.
The user sent fake information and is now pretending this never happened and instead is claiming it came from reddit and Era (lol)?
And what they sent was some low quality audio files which they now never mentioned and also they named some outsourcing company?
I am genuinely confused.

Well, that was quite the ride.

From my understanding OP actually sent some tangible proof of the info he was sharing re. LiS3? And now is back tracking claiming fake news?

Seems OP got burned in his pursuit of internet fortune and glory.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 86306

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2020
I think he just got cold feet and tried to make it seem like he (or his "source") got the info from public places. You really shouldn't leak something if it could cost you your job. I have some sympathy.

Jaq'or

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 6, 2018
Came into this thread out of curiosity, definitely wasn't expecting that (new) first post 😳

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the mods do better next time. Granted everyone makes mistakes but it's your responsibility to put the work in.

You either verify a source to say you're confident in it. Or you tell the community that you are not. There's no reason to say "you can go ahead post this but it's not really in on us". It only makes everyone look untrustworthy going forward.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I think he just got cold feet and tried to make it seem like he (or his "source") got the info from public places. You really shouldn't leak something if it could cost you your job. I have some sympathy.
Yeah, I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but I don't really see where the OP was throwing Era's moderation under the bus. Looking at what they sent the team it seems likely that they got into more heat than they thought and were now trying to backpeddle. "Throwing under the bus" implies some form of malicious intent to me, while the OP didn't even seem to have mentioned moderation. Posting these PMs strikes me as rather poor form.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Just to be absolutely clear, we don't believe admins made a mistake with the original vetting. We believe what we were given was legit.

There's really nothing more to discuss here until the game is announced, so we're locking the thread in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.