• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Streamers won't ever get a greenlight from me unless they show a cam of their setup with a view of their screen. I don't trust any first person streamer these days

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all can honestly stop dog piling on the take it's embarrassing at this stage of the thread lol.

Thought the loud burp was a distraction but as people pointed out he probably didnt notice it got caught in view of his stream. Cheaters are so trash

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
That's not what he said.

English is clearly not his first language.
I suffer the same affliction which is how I understood his point, which was that the only way to get rid of the inevitable is to do the unthinkable (stop producing PC games altogether).
He tried so hard to explain he didn't really mean to actually stop making PC games, but he failed, I see.
He's banned now.
Yeah, I agree, he shouldn't have been banned, he was just misunderstood and is correct that there really isn't a solution to eleminate cheating completely like this other than not even messing with PC. Only thing they can do is expose them and have as good as anti-cheat as possible. There will continue being exposing vids as long as online gaming exists, and will always be more promenant on PC due to the open nature of it.

Mods should think about removing his ban and reset his strikes imo. I doubt he'll even try to post in this thread anymore either.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
What's the point of cheating in competitive games? Where's the satisfaction in that? I truly don't get it.

Lot of people who cheat (not only in games, but also in sports and academia) have mentality where they believe that they COULD actually be that good but are just screwed over by bad luck/lack of time to practice/whatever mental gymnastics they practice, and cheat as a shortcut to achieve something they think they "deserve" but can't quite reach.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
How does he hide the cheat from the stream? I don't understand
i guess the cheating tool is a separate overlay that renders on top of the game. that way the cheater can avoid streaming it by accident.

if i'm correct, then what happened here was that the streaming program accidentally started to record the cheater's entire screen instead of only the game.

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
Last edited:

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Could be that the cheat is being rendered as an overlay on top of the game itself. That way the game if used as a source will not display any of the overlay the cheat may be injecting. So if you stream only the game instead of your entire screen, the overlay may not display to viewers.

Just a guess, haven't really ever streamed so not sure what's possible.
Yeah I share your hypothesis; Stuff like the Nvidia Shadowplay overlay work the same way so they normally aren't caught by capture hooks, as they get drawn in after the capture software gets its frame. In this case the capture software finally caught it in the framebuffer, either due to some sort of late frame or interference, which caused the capture order to change or the next frame to not draw at all, causing the capture software to then capture everything that was in the frame buffer that occurred for that length of frame.

You can reproduce it in other ways like certain Doom ports that reimplement the screen melt effect as a frame buffer capture to screen shader, resulting in everything to be part of the melt including the overlays of any capture software you had. Or any games that don't clear the screen between draws having said overlays appear in recordings of you view untextured areas.

For cheats this is especially dangerous to rely on if you're streaming at the same time, because any kind of artefact that causes the previous frame to not clear will cause the whole overlay to be recorded the next capture frame, and I guess these people don't understand that or love to live very dangerously.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
This is part of why I can't invest myself in shooters at a high level, there's this general assumption of cheating that ruins the integrity of the genre.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Claiming to need hacks to unlock camos is the cherry of humiliation on the cake of shame for the #2 ranked player.

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
Lot of people who cheat (not only in games, but also in sports and academia) have mentality where they believe that they COULD actually be that good but are just screwed over by bad luck/lack of time to practice/whatever mental gymnastics they practice, and cheat as a shortcut to achieve something they think they "deserve" but can't quite reach.

Some people live and die by the size of their E-penis.

Sane reason we have so many quitters in sports games.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
That Clara lady is just so unbelievably lame.

What a terrible person pretending you're above board calling people saying you're cheating because you're female as bitches and then proceeded to do just that seconds later, like wtf is that.

Cheaters are lame.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
How can they live so dangerous? You're one frame hiccup away from exposure, live on stream for all the world to see. Do they get a kick out of it? Lol

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
This is part of why I can't invest myself in shooters at a high level, there's this general assumption of cheating that ruins the integrity of the genre.

That's pretty much why I stopped playing competitive shooters on my PS4. I was always suspicious of people who seemed to be just that little bit too good and couldn't help but wonder if I was running into XSim users. Even if I probably wasn't running into people using XSim, it still ruined the games for me when someone landed multiple headshots in a row and made me go "hmmm".

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
You know when we get those threads asking "If you could forget a game, and play it for the first time again, what would it be"?

Well I just had that experience with the Clara video. It was awesome

😂

Thanks Slayven

Aloy38

Jul 31, 2020
The only thing the video has done is remind me how bad COD has become. As someone else said earlier in this thread, it's like the gameplay is at x1.5 speed - it's so weird. Doesn't look or feel grounded or realistic (even a jetpack game like Black Ops 3 had some weight and heft to the movement). One of the reasons I haven't played COD since BO4.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
The only thing the video has done is remind me how bad COD has become. As someone else said earlier in this thread, it's like the gameplay is at x1.5 speed - it's so weird. Doesn't look or feel grounded or realistic (even a jetpack game like Black Ops 3 had some weight and heft to the movement). One of the reasons I haven't played COD since BO4.
I am in the same boat . Last COD I enjoyed was black ops 4. Only bought MW and tried the beta for cold war and vanguard. And they all don't feel good to play on top the cheating problems.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
There's a perverse economic incentive now due to the nature of streaming that I think changes the calculus. Previously you cheated purely for personal enjoyment, but now it gives you the potential to short-circuit your way to streaming relevance by being one of the 'best'.

This is what I have been thinking for years now, back in the day (I am old sadly lol) most of the cheaters you came across in games like CS were just trolling or doing it to be annoying to other players.

The competitive game modes came and you would get people cheating to enhance their ranks and it become way more prevalent.

However, then streaming came around and gained in popularity and with that, the incentive to gain a huge audience from being a top player and make enough money to essentially live a very comfortable life.

The way I see it is, there's they don't see a downside so they just do it, even if they get caught, if they make enough money whilst they are doing it then they could probably afford to retire young anyway so the worst thing that can happen to them is they get their reputation dragged online, again, if they disappear into the sunset with a bag of money I doubt they care all that much about being labelled a cheater.

I think the only way to stop this kind of thing happening now is to possibly face financial penalties for using cheats or some other severe measures but even then I am not sure if that is the correct approach.

Either way, cheaters are morally terrible people imo, I certainly couldn't live with myself knowing I have done something like that, that's probably why I am broke though lol!

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
cheaters being discovered during competitions, just like videos of pimples and blackheads being removed, are now my newest form of entertainment.
thanks, op
honestly no sarcasm

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
i guess the cheating tool is a separate overlay that renders on top of the game. that way the cheater can avoid streaming it by accident.

if i'm correct, then what happened here was that the streaming program accidentally started to record the cheater's entire screen instead of only the game.

Oh my... OH MY