• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's also a thing that regardless of when / where it happened the entire world knows about your full war history after the ancient era. So civs you meet who have no contact with you conquered foes will still hate you for being a warmonger. You just have to accept your role as a military dictator if you start taking cities really.

Zevenberge

Oct 27, 2017
I'm totally addicted to this. I bought it yesterday and didn't put it down until midnight.

Just a question, what do you think of the stability? I managed to soft lock myself during the tutorial (building on a tile where I shouldn't have) and yesterday I stopped because the game crashed. After skimming through the thread I see no complaints, so I assume that I was just unlucky.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I'm totally addicted to this. I bought it yesterday and didn't put it down until midnight.

Just a question, what do you think of the stability? I managed to soft lock myself during the tutorial (building on a tile where I shouldn't have) and yesterday I stopped because the game crashed. After skimming through the thread I see no complaints, so I assume that I was just unlucky.

A few people have mentioned crashes. The game crashed for me within the first minute; crashed as soon as I tried to start my first game.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I have this game on pc, why i want to buy it on switch
just saw it on the facebook page of my local store.. and i kind of want to pick it up

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017

Exact same thing happened to me. Couldn't continue in tutorial attempt 1 when I had to build a something, cause something else was on built on that tile before, so I was stuck on "press A to build thing on this tile".

Restarted. Tutorial attempt 2 resulted in a system error crash after about 30 mins into it.

Gave up for the night, will attempt tutorial again today.

OP
OP
Dekuman

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

Pretty stable as I posted upthread. I played on a huge map all the way to victory in 270 turns.l I thought it was the best way to stress test it. I've had one crash after playing around with saves AFTER winning, but nothing during my actual game-play.

Interesting that people have issues on the tutorial. I frankly have never touched it on PC and realized there was a custom narrated intro to it when I checked it out yesterday.

I assume the crashing is because you technically could do something in the main game, but went and did something the tutorial didn't ask you to do? Like mine a tile instead of farming it.

Last edited:

Zevenberge

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's also a thing that regardless of when / where it happened the entire world knows about your full war history after the ancient era. So civs you meet who have no contact with you conquered foes will still hate you for being a warmonger. You just have to accept your role as a military dictator if you start taking cities really.

Heh. Oops. America was surrounding my capital with military units. It was late, they far outnumbered me... So I figured I'd launch a suicide attack, lose, and be done for the day. Somehow I ended up not losing and went a bit overboard by nuking them from orbit.

Exact same thing happened to me. Couldn't continue in tutorial attempt 1 when I had to build a something, cause something else was on built on that tile before, so I was stuck on "press A to build thing on this tile".

Restarted. Tutorial attempt 2 resulted in a system error crash after about 30 mins into it.

Gave up for the night, will attempt tutorial again today.

I figured I'd learn the rest on the job. So I was playing a regular game. There is probably a lot of subsystems that I don't know about yet, but I somehow manage.
Edit: The soft lock you describe is exactly as I had it.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
FilthyRobot has some comprehensive videos detailing key mechanics to help out new players:

They were done before the latest version so some information on certain civilizations may be outdated i.e. Tomyris' units only healing 30 instead of 50 upon defeating an opponent but they're generally helpful if you're new to the game.

His entire series, especially on districts which are new to Civ 6, are super helpful. Highly recommended if you're feeling overwhelmed. Thanks!!

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't seen Black Friday deals in the US for this yet, just came out. Was at the Nintendo store yesterday and it wasn't even on the shelf (it was behind the checkout counter with all the pokemon bundles).

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Being in turn 460, yeah it definetly takes longer now, but not much.
Some turns are quick and other take...10/15 seconds maybe?

Fps are still good

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 300 turns into a game on the earth map with 8 players. Things have slowed down noticeablet, but it's still ok. The fps has dipped (to around 20 if i had to guess) and there's weird lag when you delete notifications.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Sounds like it's a good port. I'd pick it up in a heartbeat if it included the first expansion. Now I'm gonna wait for at least half off.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
How much the lack of multiplayer affects the experience?.

It's what's holding me back from purchasing it, if it had online it would have been day 1 for me. Would have also picked up a Switch and the game for my dad as it would have stopped me needing to sit in front of the PC whenever he calls me up for a game.

But I am weakening, if I could get it for £35 I'd probably pick it up.

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil
To be honest, playing Civ online is a major hassle. Think having to wait up while your opponent finishes their turn. It's super tedious.

It's a different matter if you're playing local multiplayer, as the physical proximity can lead to better interactions while each player is doing their thing. As far as I remember, local multiplayer is an option on the Switch port.

That all said, single player really is the main draw for Civ. I wouldn't worry at all.

JohnOfMars

Fighting Lion
Oct 25, 2017
Mars
I'm buying today. Gonna be the perfect game while family is town hogging the TV. Love my Switch.

200 turns in on my first Switch Civ jaunt and two other Civ's declare war on me and gang up, they say as I;m too strong. Well they will soon find out just how strong!

Love this game and it is a dream playing it from the sofa on a big TV.

Good lord, I love this line. I need this kind of energy & confidence in my life. :P

OP
OP
Dekuman

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
About halfway through my 2nd game, Huge maps, Island Plates. I might lose it. Gandhi was my neighbour and I had to wipe him off the map. But this cost me on science.
The port is very impressive. I play Switch docked on the same monitor as my PC. I was able switch between the Switch feed and the game on my PC.

There are obviously differences in fidelity (4K resolution and 16x MSAA on PC) and detail of the graphics, but the amount of stuff you can see is basically the same. The UI is just very well thought out though it's largely a port of the UI work done on iOS, controller inputs are a good substitute to touch. The game changer here is I can play my turns while on the exercise bike and time is up before I know it.

It's what's holding me back from purchasing it, if it had online it would have been day 1 for me. Would have also picked up a Switch and the game for my dad as it would have stopped me needing to sit in front of the PC whenever he calls me up for a game.

But I am weakening, if I could get it for £35 I'd probably pick it up.

You have to ask yourself. Are you a hardcore Civ player that want a multiplayer Civ fix on Switch? If this is just a checklist and you feel like you're being gyped or shortchanged then don't. I've played Civ since 1995, it's always 100% a SP experience for me. It takes a lot of patience to play it online and it's mostly a niche specialty crowd that plays it on PC online.

Sites like Kotaku citing the port is 'missing online' and a full $30 paid expansion released just this year not being included bumming people out is really an unfair reporting on their part. The iOS version didn't have online or the expansion either and all the DLC Civs/scenarios were unbundled in that version, and the reporting wasn't nearly so provocative and negative. Actually most of it was around how it's a technical achievement they got it down to a phone SoC. I feel like the console reporting crowd generally do not understand how to report on PC centric franchise like Civ. Cities Skylines Switch edition also got maligned unfairly over frame rates.

Last edited:

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
YMMV; Personally the AI being as bad as it is makes it hard for me to go back to single player when there's an actual challenge to be found in multiplayer.

That and all upping the difficulty does in single player is increase the AI's yields rather than make them more intelligent. Civilization's AI has never been amazing but VI is especially noteworthy for how dumb the AI civs can be.

OP
OP
Dekuman

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
YMMV; Personally the AI being as bad as it is makes it hard for me to go back to single player when there's an actual challenge to be found in multiplayer.

That and all upping the difficulty does in single player is increase the AI's yields rather than make them more intelligent. Civilization's AI has never been amazing but VI is especially noteworthy for how dumb the AI civs can be.

I've never been not challenged by Civ if I play at the appropriate difficulty. As for AI getting bonuses at higher difficulty, I have news for you, they always have.
The devs don't hold back processing cycles on Prince vs. diety.

If you liked CivRev2, Civ6 is a much better game all around.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've never been not challenged by Civ if I play at the appropriate difficulty. As for AI getting bonuses at higher difficulty, I have news for you, they always have.
The devs don't hold back processing cycles on Prince vs. diety.

If you liked CivRev2, Civ6 is a much better game all around.
I don't know where you got the idea that I like Revolution 2 (I think it's one of the worst entries the series has ever produced). I used it as an example of precedent i.e. removing multiplayer from a console port and nothing more.

OP
OP
Dekuman

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know where you got the idea that I like Revolution 2 (I think it's one of the worst entries the series has ever produced). I used it as an example of precedent i.e. removing multiplayer from a console port and nothing more.

I got my wires crossed. I'm sorry.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
About halfway through my 2nd game, Huge maps, Island Plates. I might lose it. Gandhi was my neighbour and I had to wipe him off the map. But this cost me on science.
The port is very impressive. I play Switch docked on the same monitor as my PC. I was able switch between the Switch feed and the game on my PC.

There are obviously differences in fidelity (4K resolution and 16x MSAA on PC) and detail of the graphics, but the amount of stuff you can see is basically the same. The UI is just very well thought out though it's largely a port of the UI work done on iOS, controller inputs are a good substitute to touch. The game changer here is I can play my turns while on the exercise bike and time is up before I know it.

You have to ask yourself. Are you a hardcore Civ player that want a multiplayer Civ fix on Switch? If this is just a checklist and you feel like you're being gyped or shortchanged then don't. I've played Civ since 1995, it's always 100% a SP experience for me. It takes a lot of patience to play it online and it's mostly a niche specialty crowd that plays it on PC online.

Sites like Kotaku citing the port is 'missing online' and a full $30 paid expansion released just this year not being included bumming people out is really an unfair reporting on their part. The iOS version didn't have online or the expansion either and all the DLC Civs/scenarios were unbundled in that version, and the reporting wasn't nearly so provocative and negative. Actually most of it was around how it's a technical achievement they got it down to a phone SoC. I feel like the console reporting crowd generally do not understand how to report on PC centric franchise like Civ. Cities Skylines Switch edition also got maligned unfairly over frame rates.

The only person I play Civ with online is my dad, I live around 400 miles away from him and it's either Civ or AOE that we play together online. The reason I'd like it to have online is then my dad doesn't have to sit in his office chair(he's getting older and it's not that comfy for him anymore) whilst we play and the same for me to a certain extent. I can relax on the sofa and I don't have to shut myself away in my office.

I'm well aware that I'm the edge case and what the Civ online community is like, similar to you I've been playing since the early 90's, but if it had online it would tip me over the edge of buying it and also a Switch for my dad.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So I am traveling for vacation and I wanted to add a new Switch game for the plane ride. How is this port? It has been son long since I played a Civ. The other games I am bringing is Zelda, Mario Cart and Skrim.

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018
So I am traveling for vacation and I wanted to add a new Switch game for the plane ride. How is this port? It has been son long since I played a Civ. The other games I am bringing is Zelda, Mario Cart and Skrim.
I've heard the Mario à la Cart and Skrim games are pretty critically acclaimed, hope to pick them up some day.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
Finished my first game with a cultural victory. It was pretty fun. I had Australia as a neighbour so I didn't have to fight at all. Used my French super spies to steal great works, built chateaus and seaside resorts, and blasted tourism out with Online Communities as a Civic (which nearly doubled my tourism) to clinch the win.

OP
OP
Dekuman

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to rotate the view?

Nope. On PC, you could rotate it for fun by holding the ALT key. but as soon as you let go, it snaps back into place to the default rotation.

Since its on PC it is possible to mess with the config files to keep it rotated permanently but I never tried it.

I am still not sure if this alt+drag option to temporarily rotate the comera was kept in on the Switch port, but I am assuming not as it doesn't appear to be in the iOS version either.

Pila

Oct 31, 2017
Most AI Civs are pissed at me so when one of them asked for help in a war I was like "Sure let's do this and then we'll be BFF!".

War ended and that Civ is still hostile :( best way to improve my relationship with a Civ? They sure don't care about being helped big time during their wars...

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Loving this game . Played a ton of Civilization Revolution and this is so much better. Although it's taking me a bit to understand everything. Like I mentioned before, Civ 2 was the last main game i played and that was obviously 20 years ago.

Just having the ability to choose the size of the map and world type is great after playing Revolution .

hopefully this sells well enough that we get the expansions down the road .

OP
OP
Dekuman

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Most AI Civs are pissed at me so when one of them asked for help in a war I was like "Sure let's do this and then we'll be BFF!".

War ended and that Civ is still hostile :( best way to improve my relationship with a Civ? They sure don't care about being helped big time during their wars...

If you go to your relationships tabs, you can see all the different modifiers.

It can happen with these alliance wars, due to a 'warmonger' penalty. You can mitigate this by
1) being on friendly terms with everyone else and declarign friendships/joining an alliance
2) starting wars with a cassus belli.

At the end of the day, the only way to be liked generally is to not join late game wars.

Warmonger penalty scale such that earlier in the game the penalty is light, and the penalty also decays overtime. So doing a surprise war in the Atomic/Information era pretty much means the world will hate you unless you're friends with lots of civs already and they can overlook it.

The penalty itself is a large negative score for declaring a surprise war, plus additional penalties for taking cities in a war.

That said, you can reduce your penalty by liberating cities from another AI that took them. City states are particularly good targets and some AI civs are programmed to gobble them up.

I wish I could put it more succinctly but diplomacy is something you have to learn as you play. It is something you can sometimes ignore, but other times you have to manage if you are in a weak position. I've said this upthread, but unlike older Civ games, each game of Civ 6 is different based on who you play against assuming you play a randomized group of Civs each time and don't pre-set them, which you can do also. Civ6 AI flavors are very distinct, and not cookie cutter like in the past

Pila

Oct 31, 2017
If you go to your relationships tabs, you can see all the different modifiers.

It can happen with these alliance wars, due to a 'warmonger' penalty. You can mitigate this by
1) being on friendly terms with everyone else and declarign friendships/joining an alliance
2) starting wars with a cassus belli.

At the end of the day, the only way to be liked generally is to not join late game wars.

Warmonger penalty scale such that earlier in the game the penalty is light, and the penalty also decays overtime. So doing a surprise war in the Atomic/Information era pretty much means the world will hate you unless you're friends with lots of civs already and they can overlook it.

The penalty itself is a large negative score for declaring a surprise war, plus additional penalties for taking cities in a war.

That said, you can reduce your penalty by liberating cities from another AI that took them. City states are particularly good targets and some AI civs are programmed to gobble them up.

I wish I could put it more succinctly but diplomacy is something you have to learn as you play. It is something you can sometimes ignore, but other times you have to manage if you are in a weak position. I've said this upthread, but unlike older Civ games, each game of Civ 6 is different based on who you play against assuming you play a randomized group of Civs each time and don't pre-set them, which you can do also. Civ6 AI flavors are very distinct, and not cookie cutter like in the past

Thank you! I'll manage to learn, I'm used to Civ5.

I remember Civ5 having a... law court or whatever you would build in conquered cities in order to make people less annoyed at you. Not a thing anymore? Should I burn down cities I don't really care about?

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018

I remember Civ5 having a... law court or whatever you would build in conquered cities in order to make people less annoyed at you. Not a thing anymore? Should I burn down cities I don't really care about?

Doesnt this give you a stronger penalty than keeping the city? If you have enough luxury to keep your people lucky i see no benefit in destroying cities, more so when there are districts already built in them. But maybe that was a change with R+F so i cant say it as a fact. Maybe someone has a statement on this with more accuracy.

Edit, im really missing the loyalty system and governors. Settling wherever you want feels a bit weired after knowing this mechanic.

Last edited:

Pila

Oct 31, 2017
Doesnt this give you a stronger penalty than keeping the city? If you have enough luxury to keep your people lucky i see no benefit in destroying cities, more so when there are districts already built in them. But maybe that was a change with R+F so i cant say it as a fact. Maybe someone has a statement on this with more accuracy.

I have no idea... freaking Australia settled two cities, like, in my face, straight up in front of my capital and I had asked them not to. I conquered only those two cities (no surprise war) and made peace after that. Now I'm Hitler it seems :( I was wondering if keeping the cities was the big deal.

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
I have no idea... freaking Australia settled two cities, like, in my face, straight up in front of my capital and I had asked them not to. I conquered only those two cities (no surprise war) and made peace after that. Now I'm Hitler it seems :( I was wondering if keeping the cities was the big deal.

I see. Like i said, it only would make sense to me if the penalty was even stronger for erasing cities.

http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Warmongering_(Civ6)

This should be helpful.

Declaring war Capturing a city Razing a city

Surprise War 300 150 450
Formal War 200 100 300
Holy War 100 50 50
Liberation War 0 100 600
Reconquest War 0 ? ?
Protectorate War 0 100 300
Colonial War 100 50 300
War of Territorial Expansion 150 75 150
Golden Age War 50 25 300

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Turn 20 on Diety, 6 barbarian horse archers and 2 horse units arrive on my border (2 barb camps were activated). Then come turn 22, my nearest neigbour Montezuma declares war.

I still win. Damn, the Civ 6 AI is so dumb and easy to manipulate.

Anyway, great port nonetheless, my only complaint is the UI may look fine in handheld mode but blown up on a TV it looks ridiculous. Everything is so huge.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK

Had the same issue in tutorial mode

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
Turn 20 on Diety, 6 barbarian horse archers and 2 horse units arrive on my border (2 barb camps were activated). Then come turn 22, my nearest neigbour Montezuma declares war.

I still win. Damn, the Civ 6 AI is so dumb and easy to manipulate.

Anyway, great port nonetheless, my only complaint is the UI may look fine in handheld mode but blown up on a TV it looks ridiculous. Everything is so huge.

Thats true. But you always have to be able to read everything on your TV, so its making sense with the low resolution. At least its sharp and cleaned up.

Zevenberge

Oct 27, 2017
I have a relatively small TV, so I actually had trouble reading when sitting on the couch.

This game is not good for my sleep though ^_^'

Pila

Oct 31, 2017
I see. Like i said, it only would make sense to me if the penalty was even stronger for erasing cities.

http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Warmongering_(Civ6)

This should be helpful.

Declaring war Capturing a city Razing a city

Surprise War 300 150 450
Formal War 200 100 300
Holy War 100 50 50
Liberation War 0 100 600
Reconquest War 0 ? ?
Protectorate War 0 100 300
Colonial War 100 50 300
War of Territorial Expansion 150 75 150
Golden Age War 50 25 300

Many thanks, looks like keeping the cities is indeed the lesser evil.

I'll chill with my army I guess XD I don't wanna be in war with all the Civs, I'm actually targeting a science victory.

Hana-Bi

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Ordered my copy today. :)

Missed the deal for 36€ on Amazon but got it for 33€ in a 3 for 100€ deal (Diablo and Octopath are the other games I chose). Can't wait to play this in bed. :)

OP
OP
Dekuman

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

Awesome. Civ5 was a bit more opaque. Civ6 is similar to Civ4 but a little bit less gamey.

Keep in mind sometimes a Civ just won't like you or its not worth it to make them like you because their agenda is against yours.

That said, I want to point out that on the 'intel' tab of each Civilizaiton's diplomacy screen, don't forget to scroll down. This is somewhat hidden, but at the bottom of the intel screen, you'll see each Civ's relationship with everyone else.
This is useful because if you befriend/alliance a Civ but that civ is hated by another, that third Civ will start to dislike you more too (you'll get a friend of my enemy penalty); and it goes in reverse as well. If you befriend a Civ that is friendly to another, 3rd Civ will like you more.

It's all relative of course as there may be other modifiers that trump that, but you can sort of manage your diplomacy this way as well.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm really tempted to get this to play on my lunch break, is it the sort of game you can just have 45 mins on and then leave on rest mode till the next day? Or do you need to play in big chunks at a time to really understand whats going on

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
Totally fine with small sessions. I also play it like this. The real difficulty is to really stop at that time lol.