• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Ambiorix leads Gaul:

Doesn't look quite as broken as Byzantium, but hey, who does?

Culture bombing mines, though...

I like his flexible play style of domination or cultural victory. Take advantage of expanding early and can either snowball through or focus on culture bonuses.

Also, it looks like the devs recycled Shaka's animation when hitting the shield.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I like his flexible play style of domination or cultural victory. Take advantage of expanding early and can either snowball through or focus on culture bonuses.

Also, it looks like the devs recycled Shaka's animation when hitting the shield.

Erm, isn't this supposed to be their first use of motion capture? As in, completely new?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
So the culture bonuses look to be kind of deceptive in that it builds up Gaul as a tourism civ, when in fact it seems to be meant more to prevent Gaul from lagging behind in the culture department while their actual focus, production, can lead to either a conquest or science victory, while also helping them defend against rival tourism.

Gotta say the archaeologist in me really appreciates some of the Gaul's unique district/ability names. Hallstatt culture and oppidum are household names. In fact a city in the Netherlands, not that far from where I live, was called Oppidum Batavorum in pre-Roman times.

Now I'm hoping it's one of Gaul's possible city names.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
All those stacking flank bonuses seem like they could be strong. A few of those and your unique warrior guys can fight swordsmen at equal strength.

手加減 TG

Dec 11, 2019
Wow, Basil II really is no joke.

Turn 112: I'm at peace with everyone, but with a number of Hippodromes about to come online and numerous apostles at the ready.
Turn 157: Domination Victory with about 24 Tagmas!

Those first 112 turns took a lot of planning though, making sure everything came online and was ready to explode at the right time.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Gaul's Industrial Age theme is so good.

Challenging civ to play, though. You really need to plan ahead with city and district placement, and getting good adjacency bonuses is tough.

Nov 8, 2017
Is it just me, or do road graphics on Switch look messed up? The roads are not solid, they're like, patches of rectangles and otherwise see through. It looks like a stamp tool.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

New special scenario looks fun.

Recruit Partizans will be nerfed slightly.
Diplomatic favor is less valuable to the AI.
AI will favor wonders like the Pyramids and Oracle (RIP).

Nov 8, 2017
Heads up, expansion pass is on sale on Switch right now! Recently got back into this and have been waiting for it to sale. Used Deku Deals to track it.

Can't wait to try out the new mechanics, everyone seems to agree that it really improves the base experience by a lot.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Update is out. Patch notes:

Sid Meier's Civilization | Official Site

Since 1991, the award-winning Civilization series of turn-based strategy games has challenged players to build an empire to stand the test of time.

Gran Colombia got nerfed.

And this is a big one:

Spy missions can no longer be performed in cities of a player you have an Alliance with.

In regards to new AI priorities: I am currently playing a game, turn 57, and I already received a message that an unmet player finished building the Oracle. Even with tech/civ shuffle mode enabled that seems... excessive.

OP
OP
Carthago Delenda Est
Oct 28, 2017
Update is out. Patch notes:

Sid Meier's Civilization | Official Site

Since 1991, the award-winning Civilization series of turn-based strategy games has challenged players to build an empire to stand the test of time.

Gran Colombia got nerfed.

And this is a big one:

In regards to new AI priorities: I am currently playing a game, turn 57, and I already received a message that an unmet player finished building the Oracle. Even with tech/civ shuffle mode enabled that seems... excessive.

They forgot to add: "In higher difficulty games, players can no longer build the Oracle."

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'm going to miss the Pyramids.

I've spotted a couple of smaller changes I like, though. Forest fires and small meteors are back in non-apocalypse modes (their absence was a bug apparently), and the government select screen is a lot clearer now (at least on console: the entire government banner turns green on selection, instead of just the barely visible gold border).

The religious beliefs are re-ordered which seems kind of pointless; they were already grouped and now the groups are simply ordered differently. Maybe they wanted to direct players away from thinking you were forced to select a building as your second belief?

Nov 8, 2017
Looking forward to trying out the patch. Are saves from the previous version compatible?

Also, random question, as someone who grew up playing Civ 1 and the games since then, are the scenarios fun? I haven't ever tried them, figured the non combat ones are probably fun?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Have never tried the scenarios either. I was interested in this new pirate thing, but it turns out to be MP only. Seems unnecessary limiting, but it be how it do.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
You can start a private multi-player match and fill the slots with AI. However, I don't know how well the AI will be able to deal with the scenario's mechanics.

Nov 8, 2017
If I update from the previous version to the just released version, will my old save work? Thinking no, but wanted to make sure before I did anything. In the middle of a game!

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Played an Egypt game (love not having to worry about floods) and I don't know if I said it before, but I really dig the changes they made to amenities and the interaction between theater squares and entertainment complexes. Amenities were always just kind of there and not something to be bothered by except for the constant notifications that citizens might rebel (they never would). Sure, if they dropped too low your cities' output would be penalized, but even then there were always bigger priorities?

After the changes the penalty system is more nuanced, but you will receive the penalties sooner. So it's important you keep the amenities up, most easily through entertainment complexes/water parks. Luckily these now grant a major adjacency bonus to theater squares, which in turn makes it muuuch easier to build quality theater squares. Instead of having to wedge them in between two wonders, a government plaza and your city center just to receive a +5 theater square.

But even then amenities can be pretty damn hard to maintain. I ran all the policy cards that grant amenities (including New Deal) and every city had an entertainment complex. I even built the Colosseum. But in the end my cities were only 'content', and only barely in some cases. But I suppose that's the natural drawback to playing large.

Lastly I like how diplomacy is actually a viable victory method now, though I wonder if they didn't make it too easy. I was going for a science victory this game, but in the end I saw I was at 14 points with the Statue of Liberty yet unclaimed while India had just initiated an aid request. 30 turns later, I win.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

Babylon, baby!

Leader will be Hammurabi.

There wasn't really a female leader to pick here, I think, but I hope they will introduce more in next updates. There are only three new leaders left and Lady Six Sky was the last one. A bit meagre if you ask me.

- Six new city states.
- 24 new great people.
- New game mode: Heroes and Legends. Basically great people on steroids.

Update will come out November 19.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, forgot this was coming up this month.

Very glad to see Babylon, it's one of the few Civs that have made every entry so far, and it's always felt weird leaving them out. And just adding more variety in great people/city states is always good.

Interested in Heroes and Legends. Particularly once modders get their hands on it.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Babylon! My favorite Civ finally makes it in (and not as a city state). Looks like they get science from killing units? That's certainly more aggressive than previous incarnations.

Nov 8, 2017
Anybody have a PS5 or Xbox Series X/S try this out? Wondering if the loading times are any better. I play this on Switch and the loading times are *ABYSMAL*.

Edit: PS5 isn't out yet, so prolly no, but only one day! I am so curious about this.

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Babylon first look:

Techs instantly being researched by eurekas sounds broken, although the 50% decrease in science per turn is steep. If you're unable to get eurekas, you're fucked.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely going to be matchup/map dependent, but yeah, there's gonna be games where Babylon is absolutely busted. I like the idea though, they're always pushing into unique territory nowadays.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Play style definitely caters to eureka chasers, also a potential rival to Seondeok's broken science

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I could see it falling in the middle. It's very hard to get a ton of eurekas. It's certainly not feasible to get them all. So you might end up getting screwed by a few reqs that you can't eureka and instead research very slowly..
True, but it creates a situation where you can speed to specific technologies. You could get some insane techs very early on.

OP
OP
Carthago Delenda Est
Oct 28, 2017
True, but it creates a situation where you can speed to specific technologies. You could get some insane techs very early on.

That's absolutely true. My hope is that they balanced with this in mind, which does mean that players who go in unprepared are likely to get screwed. Seems like a Civ where you'll be richly rewarded for planning on what you're doing far in advance.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I didn't really think of that - do we know if you can "skip" technologies? Like what happens if you trigger a Eureka without having the prerequisite techs?

Because if you can leapfrog like that, looking over the list - you can get Apprenticeship (and Industrial Zones) just by building three mines. Machinery (and crossbowmen) by building three archers. Universities once you get your first Great Scientist. That sort of stuff isn't hard to get consistently. Production is going to be your only bottleneck.

B-Dubs

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really think of that - do we know if you can "skip" technologies? Like what happens if you trigger a Eureka without having the prerequisite techs?

Because if you can leapfrog like that, looking over the list - you can get Apprenticeship (and Industrial Zones) just by building three mines. Machinery (and crossbowmen) by building three archers. Universities once you get your first Great Scientist. That sort of stuff isn't hard to get consistently. Production is going to be your only bottleneck.
That's how it works with Gaul, you get the workshop tech from way later in the tree as soon as you get the tech to get swordsmen. I imagine it will work the same way with Babylon; which means, like you said, we can do some serious skipping around the tech tree with enough planning.

Just thinking about it, Babylon feels like a civilization where you really want to focus on getting good production as quick as you can. Do that and you can get really really really fast science wins.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

I think the video did say you need keen awareness of your current place in the tech tree. That makes me think you need to be real careful about when you get your eurekas, which means leapfrogging isn't possible.

But that's a big 'if'.

Gonna be fun picking up tribal villages late-game with Babylon. Tribesmen instantly teaching you how to split the atom...

B-Dubs

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I think the video did say you need keen awareness of your current place in the tech tree. That makes me think you need to be real careful about when you get your eurekas, which means leapfrogging isn't possible.

But that's a big 'if'.

Gonna be fun picking up tribal villages late-game with Babylon. Tribesmen instantly teaching you how to split the atom...
I think that's more about knowing what techs you have and can use to get the techs you want. Normally my first move in a lot of games, after establishing a religion, is placing a high adjacency campus and starting to power my way through the tech tree. That's not really going to be an option with Babylon; so I'm not only going to need to be able to keep track of what Eurekas I need, but also what techs I need to get them.

That's what I think they meant.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Babylon definitely falls off later on as the eurekas get harder to come by, so you need to snowball early and hang on to the lead as much as possible. It's probably suited for a early Crossbowman rush for domination rather than a science victory.

B-Dubs

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Babylon definitely falls off later on as the eurekas get harder to come by, so you need to snowball early and hang on to the lead as much as possible. It's probably suited for a early Crossbowman rush for domination rather than a science victory.
That could potentially be supplemented with the right great scientists and the great library wonder, as both can give Eurekas almost constantly.

You are right that Babylon is probably most easily used to rush a domination victory--2 crossbowmen would unlock Bombards as well as Pike and Shot, which need niter but that's easily gotten by building an aqueduct, which in turn needs only ancient walls, which only needs a quarry, so it's easily available super early--, but there's probably a very specific build that would get a super fast science victory.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
My Civ VI is rusty, but don't later buildings/units require more hammers to build? Unlocking crossbowmen and being able to build a bunch of them quickly are two pretty different animals.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
My Civ VI is rusty, but don't later buildings/units require more hammers to build? Unlocking crossbowmen and being able to build a bunch of them quickly are two pretty different animals.
They do, but if you're serious about a crossbowmen rush then I think you're committing your forests and trees in the process.