• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I don't mind the whacky vampires. I assume it's optional like the Soothsayers are. You never have to sign up to that Society if you don't want to interact with the Vampires unless you have an annoying neighbour of course but we've had Rock Band's for a while and nothing is more annoying than hearing that sound clip over and over.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
So maybe I missed it entirely, but are secret societies something you can toggle on and off like Apocalypse Mode? Then it would be a cool new addition, but I'm not sure how I feel about them being in the game by default.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I like the weirdness, tbh. Reminds me of the supernatural events in Crusader Kings, or all the wacky stuff in The Sims.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The latest patch (1.7 GB on PS4), Ethiopia, as well as the Catherine and Teddy alts for people with the Frontier Pass, are now live.

Secret Societies are indeed optional exactly like Apocalypse Mode.

Edit:
And of course a new update means new gamebreaking bugs. This time the "next action" command doesn't work for research and city production anymore, only for unit movement. Notifications are also disabled.

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The new era dedications are affected as well. You are permanently stuck in the Ancient Era with this bug.

Worst of all, people have reported this happening on PCs as well as all consoles. How does a bug like this make it past playtesting?!

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Am surprised they are nerfing city state bonuses. So now they don't give any bonuses unless you have this district, and the bonuses they do give are weaker until much later in the game.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how the rulesets work now. I assumed that with the Diplomatic Quarter being put into the game and the changes to how city state bonuses work there would be an additional ruleset. But there isn't - you can still only play Standard, Rise and Fall or Gathering Storm. How does this work in multiplayer if one person has the season pass and the others don't?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
A temporary fix has been found for the game breaking bug still plaguing the console versions, the one where the action button no longer works:

5yo8Z13IyY4o24kqKPcUJURScvaIGX35KmjqVwbBoME.jpg

Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/hxkhl3/i_contacted_2k_regarding_the_bug_that_makes_the/

The description above is fairly convoluted, but it basically comes down to deleting your master save file. I personally have PS+, so I made sure I had a cloud backup and then disabled auto uploads for the game, so I can keep my old saves stored in cloud until a permanent fix has been found. Afterwards I deleted my save file, booted the game (re-install not necessary) and lo and behold, it does indeed work.

Do note
this method also wipes your entire Hall of Fame.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Played a quick and easy game with Menelik II. Good God. Ethiopia + Voidsingers + Jesuit Education = profit. I'm currently in the Renaissance Era and I'm sitting at a whopping 250 science with only one single campus is my entire empire. All the science comes from the Voidsingers' second promotion and Menelik II's leader bonus. Culture is even higher because I only need to build the Theater Square itself; all the buildings can be insta-bought with faith because of Jesuit Education.

手加減 TG

Dec 11, 2019
Played a quick and easy game with Menelik II. Good God. Ethiopia + Voidsingers + Jesuit Education = profit. I'm currently in the Renaissance Era and I'm sitting at a whopping 250 science with only one single campus is my entire empire. All the science comes from the Voidsingers' second promotion and Menelik II's leader bonus. Culture is even higher because I only need to build the Theater Square itself; all the buildings can be insta-bought with faith because of Jesuit Education.
Potato's Menelik II game is absolutely crazy. 800 faith from one city!

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Hi, does anyone know how i see where I have trading posts in foreign cities?

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
The trade post icon shows up both in the prospective trades and overworld (to the left of the city name) when picking routes for a trader, which is the only time I really care to check, but uh, would it show up in the trade routes window?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Been playing around more with Secret Societies and Apocalypse mode.

The societies are fun, but a bit barebones? I hope they add more of them, and integrate them into your empire more. More unique buildings/units, more governor upgrades, maybe even change the look of your empire the more you sell your soul to cthulhu... that sort of thing.

Apocalypse mode is a bit too much for me in its current state. It's just a cavalcade of megacolossal eruptions and 1000 year floods and there's little you can do about the former in particular. Liang can only protect so much when you have three cities surrounding a volcano. Instead of a standard competition I think they should have made Appease the Gods an individual tally for your empire which shows how much favor you have with the gods. The more favor, the less frequent and destructive disasters will be. Until, of course, the global warming counter hits the max, the gods decide the world collectively fucked up and start throwing meteors.

The trade post icon shows up both in the prospective trades and overworld (to the left of the city name) when picking routes for a trader, which is the only time I really care to check, but uh, would it show up in the trade routes window?
I just checked and the right side of the trade routes window, which shows all the possible destinations, also shows whether you have a trading post there.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
August update (goes live 8/27):

Tech & Civics shuffle mode free for all users of the game IS GREAT!
Also, adds a wonder picker where you can pick and choose which natural wonders will appear in your game. Goodbye Cliffs of Dover.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Also, adds a wonder picker where you can pick and choose which natural wonders will appear in your game. Goodbye Cliffs of Dover.
This is great! Just yesterday I was thinking about how the game needs more customizability when it comes to map generation, natural wonders being one of them. So this is a nice step in the right direction.

The more of these monthly updates we get, the more I believe this New Frontier Pass was very much the right call, as opposed to a more traditional expansion pack.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Natural wonders toggle is cool, but I really, really want one for the city states as well. I love setting up "regional" games, and it's always weird when I have, say, all of the Civs in the game being from the Americas and the city states turn out to be, like, Brussels and Hong Kong.

I'm sure there would be ways for people to abuse it, but for single player, who really cares?

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Natural wonders toggle is cool, but I really, really want one for the city states as well. I love setting up "regional" games, and it's always weird when I have, say, all of the Civs in the game being from the Americas and the city states turn out to be, like, Brussels and Hong Kong.

I'm sure there would be ways for people to abuse it, but for single player, who really cares?

If on PC there is a city state picker mod.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
For the switch cross save with the PC version does it include achievements and the hall of fame too or just save games?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Speaking of more customizable game setups: I wish we could temporarily blacklist certain civs. I just started another game and I rolled my eyes so hard when the notification popped up that the Mayans received a delegation from the Mapuche, the latter already having appeared in all my four of most recent big games.

And this is just the latest example. I have experienced plenty of earlier 'streaks' where one particular civ would spawn over and over, and it always gets on my nerves.

Meanwhile it has been ages since I've played against, say, either of the Eleanors or Victoria.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
I do feel like there's a bias towards giving you Civs from the same region as your own Civ. If you're playing an American continent Civ often you are likely to get the same set of Civs again and again.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Bull Moose Teddy is insane. I just entered the Classical Era with an Era Score of 41. It's turn 60 (standard speed) and I'm researching Feudalism--and I didn't even beeline it.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
187 Culture victory, not bad. The AI was horrendous, though, even for Prince difficulty level, with a weird mix of incompetent leaders and over-aggressive barbarians. Jadwiga settled relatively early, but then played out the entire game with those two cities. And Dido didn't settle her first city until well into the Medieval Era. In both cases their cities were located in a triangle of barbarian outposts, so I guess they spent most of their production fruitlessly churning out military units. They didn't start to settle in earnest when I got bored and sent frigates and privateers to mop up all the coastal outposts.

Barbarians are always weird in this game. They're either just kind of there or overly aggressive, going so far as spawning units even without a scout reporting back. I would play without them, but that would also disable vampires in a Secret Societies games. I hope they patch in a different method to unlock the vampire governor...

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
New update was released yesterday.

Randomized techs/civics is fun, though I feel a bit too strict with the hidden ones. You don't have to see all of them, but one or two 'blocks' in advance would be nice so you can plan ahead while also enjoy the different paths you need to take. I got into this weird situation where my Frigates couldn't leave coastal waters yet because Cartography was located somehwere slightly behind it in the tech tree.

Here's what it looks like:

e8kpk4W.gif

The update also made Naturalists a lot cheaper (600 base faith cost, +100 increase per Naturalist. That's 50% cheaper compared to before) and Theater Squares now receive major adjecency bonus from Entertainment Districts/Water parks. Which have become a bit more important because of the changes to amenities.

Played a game with Eleanor to try things out. I didn't plan on advancing too far, but before you know it you're in the Modern Age and knee deep in National Parks:

DY4knnd.jpg

Appeal, appeal everwhere.

wfsP6Jn.jpg

As you can see, Pachacuti had the misfortune of spawning next to me. Man, Eleanor is so fun to play as.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
September update:

Available September 24.

New civs are Byzantium and Gaul. Leaders are revealed later.

Byzantium is all about conquest (military or faith) and Gaul focuses on culture and production. Of course, they are perfectly able to defend themselves as well...

Aside from the usual new districts (yet to be revealed), the update introduces two new world wonders:

- Biosphere: increased appeal from marsh and rainforest tiles. Boosts power and tourism as well in GS; in other rulesets it grants bonus science for each (I assume adjecent) marsh, rainforest and/or woods tile.
- Statue of Zeus: grants free military unit to the city that builds it and increases production towards anti-cav units.

New map: Highlands. Looks to be Lakes, except with focus on mountain ranges and hills.

New optional game mode: Dramatic Ages
Removes neutral ages and increases the effects of dark/golden ages. Instead of choosing dedications, you will get access to new, powerful policy cards. Additionally, excess era score will no longer be wasted as it will increase your cities' loyalty pressure during golden ages. On the other hand, the chaos caused by dark ages can cause your cities to rebel immediately.

In this game mode, Georgia can use dark age policies even in a golden age. Golden ages also reward Georgia an extra wildcard slot.

Super stoked about Gaul, didn't see that one coming at all. I wonder who the leader will be; the culture/production focus makes the more well-known kings/warlords unlikely, but who knows.

Conquest ain't my thing, but Byzantium is a nice addition regardless, if a bit safe perhaps. Hoping to see Theodora here.

Super excited about the Highlands map type. Primordial and Lakes are two of my favorite types and Highlands seems to combine their best parts.

New game mode sounds interesting and hey, nice to see Georgia maybe get buffed a bit...

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually a little bummed about Gaul, since Sukritact's Gaul mod has a fully animated leader and a ton of fun to play. I can't really imagine Firaxis doing it any better, frankly, and based on the little clips they showed it's probably going to be Vercingetorix, too.

Sort of wondering if they'll go in an unexpected direction with Byzantium's leader, since we've gotten Justinian and Theodora before. Maybe Basil II? Would be cool to have a Constantine that doubles as a leader for Rome, but that's probably wishful thinking.

Really like the sound of the Dramatic Ages though! I love high risk, high reward gameplay - sounds up my alley.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I have to be honest it feels more and more like they are pulling the focuses for new civs out other assess. How on earth does GAUL of all nations have a culture and production focus?

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
I have to be honest it feels more and more like they are pulling the focuses for new civs out other assess. How on earth does GAUL of all nations have a culture and production focus?

Firaxis has been since Gathering Storm. I noticed that when introducing Canadians as a civ who can build tundra farms, deploy mounties, and cannot have war declared on them until a denunciation

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The Gauls were tribal and obviously did a lot of raiding, and since they didn't leave written records and our accounts all come from the people being raided, there's the presumption that they were just raiders. But archaelogists have found the remains of tons of mines, metallurgy, and gold stores - locally produced, not from conquest - along with sizable population centers. The various tribes were so clearly defined and coexisted peacefully enough that their borders were, more or less, still used to subdivide France into the 18th century.

La Tene culture dominated Western Europe for over 400 years, and they didn't spend that time hitting each other with rocks. Their artwork and religion are still iconic today. Swirls, spirals, triskeles, leaves, lyres, druids... that stuff is the legacy of the Celtric people, and the bulk of that culture originated in Gaul.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
>Highlands map type
>>Pachacuti has entered the game

edit: did they say when this goes live?

Last edited:

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Byzantium with Basil II. Surprised it's not Justinian or Theodora!

Seems brutal, though, between the free units and uncapped power boosts. Units getting a blanket +3 if you have a religion is crazy. Seems like an easy Civ to steamroll with.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Basil is an interesting choice, but at the same time also kind of boring as yet another middle-aged, bearded statesman. Especially since Gaul will likely feature a (middle-aged?) bearded dude as well.

Oh well.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
In hindsight it definitely feels like they played it overly safe with the base civs. They moved away from it with some of the expansion civs (but certainly not all) and the NF civs have simply been bonkers. Together with the new game modes it seems the devs realized they needed to allow the game to color outside the lines more.

I like this new direction, though I hope they will re-evaluate the other civs after NF and look for ways to buff them or at least give them more interesting mechanics. Some of them feel painfully vanilla at this point.