• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Note: Rough version just to get it out as soon as possible. I'll try to brush it up with some more information this weekend!

YTgK0da.jpg

wfasy8K.png

Release Date: February 14, 2019
Developer: Firaxis Games
Publisher: 2K Games
Platforms: PC
Price: $39.99

eHgcUlg.png

Environmental Effects
Environmental disasters are now in play. If you settle near a volcano, it might now erupt. If you're near a sea, you might deal with a hurricane. Flood plains can now actually flood. Many more environmental effects are available as well. They will appear randomly, but sometimes you'll have advance warning, such as knowing whether a volcano is dormant. But it's not all bad, settling near and being affected by these effects will give you positive benefits if you manage to survive them. You'll also need to deal with the reality of climate change as time progresses, which also plays into diplomacy.

Power and Consumable Resources
Strategic resources play an additional role in Gathering Storm. These resources are now consumed in power plants to generate electricity for your cities. Initially you'll be powering your most advanced buildings by burning carbon-based resources like Coal and Oil, but renewable energy sources also unlock as you progress to current-day technologies. Your choices about resource usage will directly affect the world's temperature and can cause melting ice caps and rising sea levels.

Engineering Projects
Shape the world around your empire to overcome unfavorable land conditions by making improvements like canals, dams, tunnels and railroads. When settling cities, consider the flood risk to coastal lowland areas, but keep in mind that in the late-game, new technologies like Flood Barriers can be used to protect these tiles.

World Congress and Diplomatic Victory
Make your voice heard among the other leaders of the world. Earn Diplomatic Favor through Alliances, influencing city-states, competing in World Games, and more. Use Diplomatic Favor to extract promises from other leaders, vote on Resolutions, call a Special Session to address an emergency, and increase the weight of your votes in your quest to achieve the new Diplomatic Victory.

21st Century Technology
A new era has been added to the Technology and Civics trees. You'll be able to do things like move your population to seasteds and recapture carbon emissions. The goal of this new technology is to show how humanity affects the world with things like fossil fuels and overpopulation.

Updates to Legacy Systems
The Espionage system has been enhanced with new options, the Culture and Science Victories have been updated, new Historic Moments have been added, and additional improvements have been made to other existing systems.

awhDEeJ.png

Hungary - Matthias Corvinus
Maori - Kupe
Phoenicia - Dido
Ottomans - Suleiman
Sweden - Kristina
Mali - Mansa Musa
Inca - Pachacuti
Canada - Wilfrid Laurier
France and England - Eleanor of Aquitaine

And GIFs of the leaders so you can choose your favorite, courtesy of yrba1:

Here are the visuals for the new leaders, feel free to use them on the starting thread OP

tumblr_pl1zsg6Evm1qcg5mio2_400.gif
tumblr_pl1zsg6Evm1qcg5mio3_400.gif

tumblr_pl1zsg6Evm1qcg5mio1_r1_400.gif
tumblr_pl1zsg6Evm1qcg5mio5_r1_400.gif

tumblr_pl1zsg6Evm1qcg5mio6_r2_400.gif
tumblr_pl1zsg6Evm1qcg5mio4_r3_400.gif

tumblr_pl1zsg6Evm1qcg5mio7_r1_400.gif
tumblr_pl1zsg6Evm1qcg5mio8_r1_400.gif

tumblr_pl1zsg6Evm1qcg5mio9_r1_400.gif
tumblr_pl1zsg6Evm1qcg5mio10_r2_400.gif

33FVNfX.png

Trailer

Reviews
Metacritic - 84
Opencritic - 83

Last edited:

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I didn't have to do anything tomorrow and that I could just stay up all night playing this.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really torn on who to play first here. I'm probably going to go with someone simple - Canada or Sweden, maybe just Eleanor. I figure I should try and figure out the new systems before jumping into one of the more dynamic new Civs. People starting with the Maori are ballsy as hell.

I've been jonesing to play a game all week but held out. But I still have to make it through work tomorrow... jealous of the west coasters!

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Kristina might be my first game as I like Culture Victory the most. Spread out and get those auto-themed goodies. Won't unlock until 5 a.m. for me so it's definitely 14th proper for me.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I didn't have to do anything tomorrow and that I could just stay up all night playing this.

I'll probably be playing until the early hours of the morning. I'll be tired tomorrow, but I don't do stuff like this often so tonight will be an exception. Probably going with Phoenicia for my first game.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
My weekend is going to be playing the new expansion! Gonna be tough to pick which of the new civs to play first though...

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Debating on grabbing this soon or to wait on a sale (though I can get a bit off from GMG). Watching ChristopherOdd's playthrough with Canada and the changes look great so far.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Really thinking hard on my starting civ. Phoenicia (Dido <3 <3) or Eleanor are strong contenders.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait! 1st playthrough definitely Canada. I've waited decades for this.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Hijacking this thread....

I have the iPad Pro. Never played a cig game but I hear they are good on iPad.

I have absolutely no idea where to start with this series. I see there's a demo. Do people ever play older versions or is it new or bust with this game?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Hijacking this thread....

I have the iPad Pro. Never played a cig game but I hear they are good on iPad.

I have absolutely no idea where to start with this series. I see there's a demo. Do people ever play older versions or is it new or bust with this game?
You could probably find someone that staunchly defends any of the numbered Civ games as the definitive experience. Like, while Civ5 and Civ6 are the most playable for newbies due to better UI and onboarding, you could still have a lot of fun with pretty much any of them, I think.

Just be sure to get the expansions when playing the older ones. (Or any of them, really.) They add and refine a lot of stuff.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
6 is 20 bucks on iPad, but I'm not sure it's been patched totake full advantage of the pros definition bc I just launched the demo and it looks kind of blurry.

I'm going to look into that but try out these tuturials and 60 free turns. I have always heard so much praise and it seems like a great use of my new iPad haha.

Plus I see Canada has been added! Awesome!

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
6 is 20 bucks on iPad, but I'm not sure it's been patched totake full advantage of the pros definition bc I just launched the demo and it looks kind of blurry.

I'm going to look into that but try out these tuturials and 60 free turns. I have always heard so much praise and it seems like a great use of my new iPad haha.

Echoing what Hella said. If you mean version as in Civ 6 with expansions now including GS, yeah, it's a much better game now (AI issues aside..). If you mean Civ as a whole with all versions, yeah, some people swear by their own personal favourite 1-6.

Playing my first GS game as Canada with a nice Tundra start. Can't believe I'm geeking out so much over the map. Sadly need to stop soon or I'd play all night.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017

Civ since at least V and VI have had a great interface for tablet-sized touch, even if they may or may not have been officially released on a platform. I remember seeing people use Microsoft Surfaces and all sorts of streaming setups to get Civ to work on various tablets without an official port or official support. There have been a couple of mobile and console-focused spinoffs.

I dunno about your blurriness issue, but an iPad Pro should have enough power to mostly crush even VI, the style makes it scalable and the only place you might encounter more slowdowns is later game when there's potentially significantly more calculations going on.

I guess the big thing to keep in mind is that the iPad port is outsourced to another company (albeit a decent porting house iirc), so it might have issues like the one you mention or just generally lag behind in fixes/content releases compared to the PC version. Not sure if there's any other limitations, maybe some more minor stuff, but probably mostly due to the platform's limitations in terms of hardware and software.

And yeah some people swear by specific Civ versions, but usually that's with all available DLC and potentially some extensive mod(s). Generally VI was better at release than previous entries in the series, but the addition of Rise and Fall and now Gathering Storm has really fleshed it out. I know others still prefer Civ V complete with some balance/AI overhaul. And some still prefer a similarly modded version of Civ IV because it was the last entry in the series to have square tiles instead of hexes. Also I think Civ IV was the last to have extensive unit stacking.

And then there's the spinoffs — others still love Alpha Centauri the most, but that one never got an official sequel due to publisher issues it looks like, and Beyond Earth as a spiritual successor of sorts was nowhere near the bar that game set inside the Civ franchise. (There are arguably better or equitable 4X sci-fi games that have been made by other developers over the years).

Last edited:

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, how has the modding community been about adding additional leaders? I distinctly remember CIV IV being heavily modded.

I'm not sure exactly what all is out there, but apparently there's a very good Tibet mod, which is a mod of course because if it was put in the game by the devs they wouldn't be able to sell it in China. Or at least potentially have difficulty doing business with China at a studio or even publisher level. It's kinda silly, but I guess that's geopolitics.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
The AI took a city from me for the first time in a long time (partly slow response, partly they ran two catapults and melee troops right up to it faster than I was prepared for). Disasters and everything else are great. I cranked it up to the max of 4 and let chaos reign.

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I turned disaster intensity from 2 (default) to 3 and it seems pretty appropriate so far. They're devastating, yo.

One thing I don't like so far, early on, is how specific hexes are earmarked to disappear in the event of climate change. I get why it's like that, but it's really underselling the severity of such an event. I really wish Firaxis took a much more ruthless approach to portraying climate change--something so serious should be just as serious mechanically.

Oct 27, 2017
Climate change is a mechanic I wanted in Civilization for a long time now but theres no way to get the game plus all addons at a reasonable price it seems.

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
I saw from previews (Marbozir ect) that the AI is still garbage.

Can anyone confirm? Will hold out if it's the case. Rise and Fall AI left a lot to be desired.

Oct 25, 2017
I turned disaster intensity from 2 (default) to 3 and it seems pretty appropriate so far. They're devastating, yo.

One thing I don't like so far, early on, is how specific hexes are earmarked to disappear in the event of climate change. I get why it's like that, but it's really underselling the severity of such an event. I really wish Firaxis took a much more ruthless approach to portraying climate change--something so serious should be just as serious mechanically.

Maybe a later patch can add in an option to turn off this function and keep the climate change hex flooding predictions hidden.....

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I think they walk a fine line with these things having the potential to be a super feel bad mechanic. I wouldn't be surprised if they leaned towards undertuning things for launch and ramped it up later based on feedback. Worst case I assume there will be a disasters++ mod out soon enough.

Oct 25, 2017
Need to patch in meteors/asteroids and a tech that would lead development to counter such extraterrestrial threats. Are earthquakes in this? Introducing random fault lines for maps, and mapping the major realistic faultlines for the true Earth map would be amazing. Also need Tsunamis and forest fires.

OP
OP
Carthago Delenda Est
Oct 28, 2017
Need to patch in meteors/asteroids and a tech that would lead development to counter such extraterrestrial threats. Are earthquakes in this? Introducing random fault lines for maps, and mapping the major realistic faultlines for the true Earth map would be amazing. Also need Tsunamis and forest fires.

No earthquakes, though I do think they said they tried to make fault lines more realistic and so it might be possible to mod them in with info already in the game.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio

Ed specifically said yesterday they didn't include earthquakes and tsunamis because they wanted to limit the amount of disasters that felt really random, and that volcanoes already kind of served as disasters that would occur along fault lines.

He also said though that they could look at adding those in patches based on feedback.