• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Can't be overstated how much MS fucked up not having a AAA Halo ready for the launch. They have by all accounts a fantastic system but will launch without a showcase game. Hope they can get their act together.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
From what I read here and elsewhere is Microsoft produced less consoles for launch than Sony. Microsoft also made more series X than Series S. Yet PS5 sold out with in minutes and Series X in a few hours but still can preorder Series S.

I think some peoples expectations for Series S are overblown especially in Europe.

I don't think the Zenimax deal will shift the needle much in Microsoft's favour. Most don't care and there is still open questions about it.

Last edited:

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
why i am getting 7th gen battle feel from the survey. Competition is good for industry. 7th gen was the one to introduce so many new IP's.

Abi

Jun 3, 2020
Thanks for the clarification. I do wonder how things would change (if at all) had the survey been done with the Bethesda knowledge on the table.
The Bethesda acquisition wouldn't have changed much since MS has no games to show for it. It doesn't matter right now to the average consumer. Series S, however, would've changed a lot i think.

Oct 28, 2017
If over the next generation MS can get another 15 million game pass subscribers on PC and Xcloud alone, they won't care if they drop a few percentage points in terms of console hardware market share.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I put zero stock in polls. Trump wasn't polled to be the president yet, here we fucking are.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
If over the next generation MS can get another 15 million game pass subscribers on PC and Xcloud alone, they won't care if they drop a few percentage points in terms of console hardware market share.

This was really funny before you edited in the million.

I put zero stock in polls. Trump wasn't polled to be the president yet, here we fucking are.

Trump actually did poll neck and neck in national polls.

Oct 28, 2017
I really thought I might have been fast enough :'(

If MS only get another 15M GP subs over this gen, I'd wager they'd be pretty disappointed.
I mean they don't need a lot of new subscribers outside of the console ecosystem to make up for a small dip in console sales. I actually believe they will get far more new subscribers than that, but I am interested in seeing how many people who don't buy a Series X or S will sign up just for other platforms.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That gap is bigger than the current market share between PS4 and Xbox one in the US. Which is what this survey is representative of, I don't think you can extrapolate the data worldwide.
It only represents the Xbox Series X though, a portion of the next-gen Xbox devices. The Series S is expected to be the better selling console.
And this poll was done a week after the Series S reveal.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
From what I read here and elsewhere is Microsoft produced less consoles for launch than Sony. Microsoft also made more series X than Series S. Yet PS5 sold out with in minutes and Series X in a few hours but still can preorder Series S.

I think some peoples expectations for Series S are overblown especially in Europe.

I don't think the Zenimax deal will shift the needle much in Microsoft's favour. Most don't care and there is still open questions about it.
In the US, where this survey was done, the xsx and xss sold out immediately.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Both are going to sell out and be great machines, but I think we have very different definitions of "neck and neck" lol.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017

Trump actually did poll neck and neck in national polls.

I seem to recall about 5 major nationwide polls that declared hilary the winner with around 70%. Fivethirtyeight was one of the worst.

But you know what? Maybe I am wrong and for once in the entire span of humanity humans will actually so what they say they will do, who knows.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
Wasn't speaking about total sales. That graph shows interest in Xbox among high income households, while low income households are more interested in PS5. It's weird, since Series S and Game Pass are supposed to be the cheaper option, while Sony are framing PS5 as a premium console.

Digital only makes the Series S(512GB) much less appealing, along with game pass, this setup requires a good ISP which may be out of reach for many. We did lose the net neutrality war :/
The weaker specs also make it less appealing, folks might have less money but they are aware of the difference and 4k tvs are pretty cheap nowadays(i bought mine for $200). So maybe these folks would rather wait for a price drop than to settle on something inferior.

PS4 was also the most popular console, lower income gamers won't be able to play their backlog on a xbox.
Why switch when many of your friends are staying on PS? network effect is still in play thanks to BC.

overall Series S and game pass does target a certain segment of gamers, but i don't know how effective it will be.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Jan 15, 2018
Brazil
I feel like it's impossible to gauge. This was posted after the Zenimax announcement.

-CzFNss4nhseD3eH56ExFk-nS8L5Rq1SpHoZ-yIhD4emQozDbKuaJRDOnaX-twPhupNJ3iOi

Jul 20, 2020
This also doesn't take into account the Xbox eco system on PC and Xcloud which might pass the number of consoles xbox sells in the next couple of years.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I expect Sony to move more hardware, but the gap wont be as large as current gen. MS hasn't completely shat on their launch yet.

Jul 20, 2020
Can't be overstated how much MS fucked up not having a AAA Halo ready for the launch. They have by all accounts a fantastic system but will launch without a showcase game. Hope they can get their act together.
Series S isn't a console for enthusiast who pre order. It'll be a slow long burn console for late adopters.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
It'll definitely be more competitive than the current gen, especially with all the moves Microsoft has made in recent years

That what you initially said. If the gap is bigger than what the market share that playstation 4 is currently enjoying how are they going to be more competitive? Again to be more competitive Xbox would have a gain market share in other territories.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
I expect Sony to move more hardware, but the gap wont be as large as current gen. MS hasn't completely shat on their launch yet.

It would be pretty funny if right before launch they had Phil Spencer get up and be like, "And it's always online! We're bringing back Kinect! Your Tivo will be your most used software!"

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Series S is really like a footnote and shouldn't be considered because it'll not do much.

IGN poll for fun.

Screenshot-2020-09-27-195202.png

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox will probably beat out PS in the US this time around. With the Series S, gamepass and probably more acquisitions going forward I think it'll be favored Xbox. Europe seems to be a toss up right now tho, and the race will probably come down to a few key moves, but I love to see it seems to be close and competition is working the way it does. Thanks to Sony I won't have to buy games like starfield, fable, avowed, doom, fallout etc etc.
This is a US only survey.
For launch, where the most likely population to even want to buy is enthusiasts/ early adopters.
... And it's basically 60/40 in favor of PS (increasing 1% since Jan for PS), in the country where Xbox has its biggest foothold.

Playstayion looks about to beat Xbox again this next gen, perhaps just as much as it did this gen.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Xbox will probably beat out PS in the US this time around. With the Series S, gamepass and probably more acquisitions going forward I think it'll be favored Xbox. Europe seems to be a toss up right now tho, and the race will probably come down to a few key moves, but I love to see it seems to be close and competition is working the way it does. Thanks to Sony I won't have to buy games like starfield, fable, avowed, doom, fallout etc etc.
You can't dismiss what Sony did with PS4. That 110m install base in not gonna suddenly jump ship specially if they have a huge catalog from the past 7 yrs on PS4.

If I remember, there were lots of talks about the current gen being ultra important this time around because it would have a big impact on the people on these systems by end of the generation. As you've seen, plenty of people have invested lots in games including digital purchases. From Sony's past yearly reports, the digital ratio keeps growing and growing. (Thus having digital only variations a possibility now while not accepted 7yrs ago)

So to be honest MS has a long battle coming into the new generation? Will they beat out Sony? I dont think so. Will they close the gap? Yes that is entirely possible. Outside of Sony doing something catastrophic with the console and its line up, I dont think they are bound for failure regardless what some die hards tell you. Outside of muddy messaging to enthusiasts crowd, they seem to have a strong favor on their side everywhere you go in social media networks.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
That doesn't matter though. If they shat the bed last time, and now default is Sony why would people switch back if they're content with the offering the received from Sony this generation. Now if you're saying s significant proportion of people will pick up a Series S/X in addition to a PS5 I neither have the data to refute or support that statement. Remember this survey is just US I don't expect if this was done in other countries for the percentage to stay "close" as the survey.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Those ratios aren't neck and neck lol

tenor.gif

Microsoft is competitive in the biggest markets (US, UK, etc). Sony is not very big in Asia so the fact that Microsoft isn't competitive doesn't mean much. Japan is what 8M consoles to a few hundred thousand? Shit starts adding up.

It'll definitely be more competitive than the current gen, especially with all the moves Microsoft has made in recent years

What numbers are you basing on Sony not being big in Asia? The Middle East alone is a region where PlayStation sells millions and runs virtually unopposed.

There's a reason why the PS3 with all its baggage and launch stupidity, still managed to outsell the X360 every year it was being sold. Microsoft sold like double what Sony did with the PS3 in the States, and the console that was more expensive, had the shitty multiplat ports, that released 12-16 months later, outsold them every single year.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the "US is XBox territory" takes. Of the three generations they've gone head to head, Sony beat them in two of them, including the latest one that carries a lot of the online momentum over.

I expect Sony to still come out on top over Microsoft this generation, but the gap will be smaller.

Worldwide though, it'll be Sony as Microsoft is kind of a non presence.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
That what you initially said. If the gap is bigger than what the market share that playstation 4 is currently enjoying how are they going to be more competitive? Again to be more competitive Xbox would have a gain market share in other territories.
Microsoft has Gamepass and Xcloud, they don't need to be the "console sales winner" to succeed in the generation. The fight isn't even Microsoft vs Sony it's going to end up being Microsoft vs Amazon. Sony and Nintendo will fight over the traditionalist console space.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't matter though. If they shat the bed last time, and now default is Sony why would people switch back if they're content with the offering the received from Sony this generation. Now if you're saying s significant proportion of people will pick up a Series S/X in addition to a PS5 I neither have the data to refute or support that statement. Remember this survey is just US I don't expect if this was done in other countries for the percentage to stay "close" as the survey.

I was talking in terms of the U.S. I think the gap will be smaller because MS has been pulling all the right moves, but I still think Sony will edge them out a little bit in the states.

Its weird how different it is in the states compared to other countries. Meaning, you can still get a Series S in other countries, but they sold out in the U.S. as quickly as the X. I'm sure this market is important for them with being home court and all.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I feel like it's impossible to gauge. This was posted after the Zenimax announcement.

People following d-pope are the hardcore and there were a lot of sour fanboys after the announcement. Not a good way to judge interest.

I find press/media feedback to be more reliable on how things will do. They were hyped on PS4, less so on Xbox. Likewise interest in wiiu wasn't great and look how the gen panned out. Hype for Xbox this time around reminds me of the 360 days. Microsoft seems to have the mindshare, hardcore will still buy ps5 early like they did PS3 but Xbox will make a lot of ground. The overall race will be close I think.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Microsoft has Gamepass and Xcloud, they don't need to be the "console sales winner" to succeed in the generation. The fight isn't even Microsoft vs Sony it's going to end up being Microsoft vs Amazon. Sony and Nintendo will fight over the traditionalist console space.
Kind of a weird response to people talking about how competitive Xbox can be in marketshare, honestly.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
I think the gap will shrink in the US this coming generation, even with all the blunders Microsoft made during the Xbox One launch and a general lack of quality exclusives by comparison, they were still very close in sales.

Those are loyal customers.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
People who thought ps5 would do a ps4 really didn't follow the evolution of the industry.
And if you add to that whatever the PC, Switch or other platforms might do... we're on uncharted territory. Bad pun intended