• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Rural itself is an interesting spectrum.

Like, in the northeast where I live, rural has different connotations than in the midwest or down south, I think. Out of curiosity I just Googled this and found:
I just looked up a new census report and it seems to be the same in 2016.

But when people think rural, they don't think of New England, I don't think. I live in New England and when you say "rural" the first thing I think of is Kansas. So what rural is and what it looks like is not the same across the country at all.

New England rural isn't characterized by wide open spaces or poverty so much as isolation. Houses are far apart on multi-acre lots. Roads will have miles of forest on either side. There is not a strong corporate presence in your town either because there is no business for it or because your town has ordinances against it. The place I grew up in, for example, only allowed a single fast food restaurant in the entirety of the town. There is usually only one of everything (one grocery store, one school, etc). There is almost no traffic and almost never a wait for anything - except the DMV. Walking anywhere is not an option. Things are not necessarily a long drive, but it takes 10 minutes to drive somewhere versus hours to walk there and back with no sidewalks. People's cars are much more utilitarian because they have to get through the winter and survive long commutes. There are a lot of contractors who work locally in jobs like construction, landscaping, etc. But a lot of people don't work in town because there's no place to work unless you run your own business, so you drive 40 minutes to work every day.

Culturally, there's a lot of an "everyone knows everyone" kind of energy. Some people have lived in the town, or near the town, their whole lives. So they know everyone's names and everyone's families and their family history and stuff. "That's Dougie, Susie's cousin. He just got out of jail," or "Mary from the hardware store just beat her cancer." This is more the older people - who've been there for decades - than the younger people. A lot of younger people leave after high school to go to college or get jobs somewhere else so there's a high rate of exodus. There's definitely racists and people rigid in their notions of traditionalism but they don't run the town. You notice them more because there are fewer people but they don't necessarily define the area. Vermont and Maine are both predominantly blue states and this is not limited to the urban centers. However, there are definitely pockets of super conservative towns that have become this way over decades of progressive people leaving for more a comfortable environment.

Education is usually fine except for a lot of locals not being college educated. People's health is usually fine other than having an older population by average. There's way more pick-up trucks. People wear a lot of similar clothes (work boots, baseball hats, hoodies). People are usually very environmental and dislike developments, pollution, or corporations owning land. The town is governed by favoritism and nepotism and people bolstering their own friends and families so it's very hard to succeed at anything without knowing the right people. Crime is usually low but cops are basically just groups of high school guys who thought carrying a gun would be cool. Every time you get pulled over it's some jocky bonehead you went to high school with who used to make animal noises in shop class.

People usually strongly object to change. When I was growing up, a local restaurant (family owned, super popular) took down their wooden sign and put up a digital one. It was such a controversy. People said it was ruining the aesthetic of the town, that it made them not want to eat there anymore, people mused about breaking it with a rock, etc. People got over it and then all the other businesses that had wanted to updated digital marquees updated their signage too. Now it's common for businesses to have digital signage and nobody cares. So while there is usually a big objection to change when it's introduced, it just happens anyway and people get over it. Older people will lament that something got torn down to build a gas station or that certain businesses aren't around anymore but none of these towns successfully resist change. They just whine about it.

Folks are generally pretty nice to people from their area, even if they're an uncommon demographic. People are mostly friends with the ethnic minorities who run businesses, they're mostly respectful to the women who work in male-dominated labor industries, they have no objections to the lesbian couple they always see at the farmer's market. If you're local, it's no big deal. They might treat you like a bit of a novelty but it's at least rooted in affection rather than hate. They will patronize you and defend you and respect you as a resident. Prejudice is much more rooted in being perceived as an outside influence and then all bets are off and the real bigotry comes out. "The Somalians are ruining this town," "I remember when men were men," "go back to New York." Not everyone is like this but it's definitely tolerated more than it should be.

There is definitely a sort of libertarian vibe to a lot of people in rural New England, but not in the literal sense. They just prefer to be left alone. If you don't bother them, they won't bother you. If you stay off their land, they'll stay off yours. If you don't insult their family, they won't insult yours. This sort of predictable frame of mind makes the social cues pretty easy to navigate. It's easy to avoid trouble but it's also easy to cause trouble. Just remember "mind your own business" and "what's mine is mine, what's yours is yours". Not to endorse that way of thinking, that's just the status quo.

I guess that's how I'd summarize New England rural as someone who has lived here their whole lives. I live in a small developing city now but things are still very far apart and walking anywhere is absolutely not an option.

And yet, despite living in these places, they aren't what I think of when I think of rural. When I think of rural. I guess the "racist redneck" stereotype wins more in my mind than my own actual life experience. This is interesting to reflect on.

Edit: Punctuation and stuff.
I didn't know you were a fellow New Englander. And yeah that's not a bad overview.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
If you get lucky like me, you live near amish folk who make the best damn baked goods in the world.

The worst part is the shit access to internet imo. If that wasn't an issue I would live rural the rest of my life.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
ruralness to me is where you can openly pee outdoors and you know no one can see you

even better when you can do it under a night sky full of stars, unspoiled by the lights of civilization.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I grew up not quite in the middle of nowhere, but pretty close to it. 20+ minute drive from pretty much anything except a gas station, which was about ten minutes away. I can see the appeal of living in a rural area, but I live in downtown Indy now and greatly prefer the amenities available when living in an urban area. I can just walk to almost anything I need, which is wonderful and why I moved to this area in the first place.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
In my case, small groups of houses on long stretches of thin roads surrounded by grass...but still about 15 mins away from any given town-ish area

Granted you can drive across my entire country in about 2.5 hours...

RedBlue

Oct 27, 2017
Queens, NY
Rural America and the dark black night. I hadn't realized how used to living in the city and its never ending movement i had become. Only going back to my semi rural city in NH, not far from rural, did i realize that where i had grown up truly shuts down at night, especially on sundays. Its quite depressing seeing how dead a sunday night can be there.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
It needs to be pointed out that there's a difference between rural and stuff like Appalachia in the US.

I live in a rural area in Georgia, but we're only about 15 min from a Walmart (Food Lion in town, but it sucks), about an hour from two large cities, and I'm in a neighborhood that's got probably 50-75 houses in less than a quarter-mile circle.

My parents live a little farther out where their nearest neighbor is like a quarter-mile down the road, but even they have high-speed Internet (though that was fairly recently...) and are still only about 20-25 minutes from something like a Walmart.

Then, of course, there are places where people I know grew up and where local churches go on mission trips in places like Kentucky (not singling Kentucky out other than for the fact that coincidently both my friend and the churches I know both came from or go there). Churches go to these places on mission trips because they are as close to third-world as it gets in the States. These are the areas where you get things like stereotypical moonshiners (there are moonshiners around here too of course, but it's much less the stereotypical hillbilly most people think of), drastic poverty, and just the general "hillbilly" aesthetic most people probably go to mentally.

Neo-Saiyan

Oct 27, 2017
Birmingham, UK
I'm from the UK, whenever people talk about rural areas, this is the sort of image that pops into my head...

Snowshill-Gloucestershire.jpg

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
Depends on the country. My family has farms, and fields, and ranches and stuff so in some ways I've experienced rural life far away from people but it wasn't an inconvenient rural life.

Rural could be the rich countryside full of people with money getting away or it could be a dirt poor place with very limited facilities really. The infrastructure really depends on who lives there.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I live in the Philly metro area, but went to college and lived in central PA for some time. My family also owns a 70-ish acre farm in rural north carolina. We used to visit there every year, though it's been several years since i've been back there. Used to be a tobacco farm but now it's just soybeans I believe.

Rural for me is houses a half mile to a mile apart from each other, possibly farm animals (depending on what kind of farming is going on), and very little "culture" or exposure to diverse perspectives to speak of. There's "one" church, "one" big restaurant, "one" school etc that everyone goes to and everything is homogeneous. "Shooting things" and "outdoor life" seems to be an identity around there simply because there's a lack of literally anything else to do with your time.

Walmart seems to have obliterated small business in rural areas- the answer for where to get *anything* is 'drive a half hour to the walmart' which is less than ideal. I refuse to patronize that company on principle after being forced to shop there for lack of alternatives.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I'm from a very rural part of Georgia and have recently become good friends with someone from Atlanta. When I explain to them that I have to drive 15 minutes to go to anything that isn't a gas station or a dollar general they didn't believe me. They once assumed a Walmart would be right down the road from me but the closet one of those is like 20 minutes away. So this got me thinking, what do you people that live in cities generally think of rural areas? Is there anything you've always wanted to know but never looked into? Just figured this could be a fun discussion.

Yes we have the internet out here. It just sucks.

Edit: Damnit messed up the thread title. Can a mod fix?

What part? This sounds nice. Quiet. And affordable... good schools?

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trees, ecology, big sky, being able to see the stars, birds flocking, wild deer. And trucks.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I think of the house I grew up in that sat between a farm and the Little Miami River. It took a half an hour to get anywhere so I was always late meeting friends. Because of all the trees and stuff we couldn't get satellite cable.

You could hear guns go off regularly from people hunting deer.

Pelao

Banned
Jan 7, 2020
Chile
Marmalade and Horses
An aunt of mine who lived in a small rural town down south used to make some killer marmalade of all kind of flavours. Also, we used to ride horses next to the river with some of her huaso friends. Good times.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
When I think of rural I think similar to how you do, a lengthy drive to go to anywhere of note. I live in the North East so our comprehension of distance is way, way shorter than other places. I was amazed when I went to college and one of my friends was from Iowa, and they remarked about a trip to the mall (back when people did these things) was a 2-3 hour drive, and an all-day event that the whole family took once every few months. It's just a different comprehension for me.

I live in a city that's a pretty quick escape to nature, though even the surrounding towns I wouldn't think of them as rural or really suburban... they're all old New England mill towns, with town centers, restaurants, a scatter of bars or supermarkets. For me, to be "rural" you have to go out to areas like around the Quabbin Reservoir in dead central MA, which I really think of as being truly "rural." Although, even a lot of those towns are on town water supply, not septic, but like you said, it's a ~20+min drive to get to a supermarket or a bar. I like the opportunity of owning cheap property, but couldn't imagine having to drive ~30mins to bring my kids to school in the morning.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
There are obvious cultural differences due to the locales, though, which sometimes are funny. An example I can think of, is my friend's girlfriend was driving his big truck and hit a deer in the dead of winter. Killed it. A great big buck from what I am told. She drove home in tears, this was around 6 AM. The truck was badly damaged, blood all over it. She parks it out front. They lived in the more densely populated part of the little town, so a lot of cars drive by. People start calling the police because there is this big grey truck covered in blood.

So around 8AM the local deputies or police or whatever show up to question them. Because, you know, truck covered in blood. After she explains everything to them they look at each other and then ask her where the collision occurred and if she wants the meat - or if it's OK if they claim it. This isn't unique to Virginia either, I heard a person with a similar story in Wisconsin or someplace.
Around here, I expect most people wouldn't bother calling the cops. I mean, deer collisions are still dangerous, maybe they were concerned for the driver, depending on what the damage looked like. But anyone would assume the collision was with a deer, cause they're all over the place.
it would be illegal in my country to not immediately call the ranger or the police to take care of the killed/wounded animal. is there no such law in the us?
I'm sure there's some rule somewhere about not leaving a dead deer in the middle of the road where drivers could hit it, but seeing them by the side of the road/in the ditch is pretty common in the country here. Most don't get cleaned up, are left to nature. (Sure if it's in city limits, someone probably takes care of it, but just out on the road, generally not.)
you shouldn't need to own a car to go the store
Everyone has a car (well, usually a truck) in the sticks. Living without one just isn't an option.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
There's a wide berth of rural areas, from very, very spread out countryside where things just seem lonesome and scary (to me), to more closely knit, small towns that aren't anywhere near urban but have a few too many businesses and patches of undeveloped land near housing to be suburban either.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
Well I've been to many rural areas in the south before, I just think:

- Lots of land, especially wide open spaces
- Homes with gigantic land around them
- Very few people comparably
- Most people likely work in the local industries or in a technical skill that supports them, like heavy machinery repair
- Everything is a lot cheaper
- If someone tells you the best restaurant in town, go to it, it doesn't matter if it's a tiny diner or even connected to a gas station. It will likely have the best southern food you've ever eaten. Most of the meat will be fresh and local, it's really different. The best sausage biscuit I ever had was in some tiny diner near Luray Caverns in Virginia. The sausage was so fresh that it tasted far, far superior to any sausage I've had - and I've eaten at Michelin star restaurants that had some sausage on the menu

do you remember the name of this diner? :o

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It just depends. Are you talking rural New York or rural Montana? You can definitely be a lot more than 20 minutes away from a Walmart in rural Montana. 15 minutes from a Walmart seems more suburban than rural to me, but I'm in the middle of the prairies in Canada so it is possible to drive for a few hours on end without hitting a real city.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I grew up in/around Chicago, so my idea of rural is the endless, flat expanse of fields and farms you find yourself in should you drive a couple hours west or south from the city.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I grew up in/around Chicago, so my idea of rural is the endless, flat expanse of fields and farms you find yourself in should you drive a couple hours west or south from the city.

Pretty fair. I live right on the edge of that area (about an hour and a half west). My area was probably that ten or twenty years back for that matter, though it's a busy suburb now. If you go another 15-20 minutes past me though you're in farm country.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Keystone Light and Fox News. And like many couples out there in the boonies, they aren't entirely unrelated.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
USA rural?

I grew up in Arkansas, so I think of hillbillies, trucks, confederate flags, lots of land and a small town center with a Dollar General a Taco Bell and not much else at all.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I loved living in the sticks as a young kid/teenager. If I wasn't in the pool, lounging in hot tub, or inside playing Nintendo, I was outside exploring creeks, ponds, woods, and old barns. We would snowmobile, 4wheel, dirt bike , and hike the trails for miles and miles without ever seeing signs of humanity. Rural living is one of the last bastions of true freedom left in the US.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been in big cities for going on 20 years now, but I grew up in a very rural area of WV so I know what it's like to have to drive 15+ minutes to get to a grocery store and 30-45+ to get to any kind of other shopping (longer for some friends who are even further out in the boonies).

I some times miss some parts of it--the quiet, being more in nature, rarely sitting in traffic etc. I wouldn't have thought that even 5-10 years ago. But the older I get the less I care about being out on the town and doing things and the more evenings and weekends we spend at home and the more we keep to ourselves. The high cost of living doesn't make a lot of sense in that regard. But alas, the wife and I couldn't both find equivalent jobs in our fields outside of big cities. If something happened to her/us I'd eventually consider taking a job at a rural university, be it back in WV or elsewhere though to have a calmer and cheaper last 10-15 years of working before retirement.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I loved living in the sticks as a young kid/teenager. If I wasn't in the pool, lounging in hot tub, or inside playing Nintendo, I was outside exploring creeks, ponds, woods, and old barns. We would snowmobile, 4wheel, dirt bike , and hike the trails for miles and miles without ever seeing signs of humanity. Rural living is one of the last bastions of true freedom left in the US.

I think it really depends on the community you're in. I had a blast in the sticks too, but if the town is dead and there aren't a lot of people your age, it can be pretty boring.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
Originally from a town of 800, but grew up quite a ways away in Dallas. Whenever I go back there, I can tell you nothing to do and ignorance are pretty accurate.