• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dyelawn91

Jan 16, 2018
You were probably miserable because you were playing Ocarina of Time, I know that I certainly hate playing that game. But I've been (re)playing Link Between Worlds and having a blast, so maybe it's just you.
That has to be it. Ocarina of Time has actually been a big piece of shit this whole time! Thanks for enlightening me.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
I have a regular 3ds and it cramps my hands after minutes of playing. Plus, that resolution. Sounds good, imagine if nintendo offered this directly? I'd pay retail hardware bucks for an official emulator.

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
I'm interested in alternate control schemes for Kid Icarus. I'll be ripping my own games, though. Some of those files are huge....ain't got space for a whole bunch

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why not just...buy a 3DS

There's no way in hell I'm walking with both the 3DS and Switch at the same time

That's like screaming out loud

HELLO POTENTIAL THIEVES, I HAVE DISPOSABLE INCOME THAT I HAVE UNWISELY BLOWN ON VIDEO GAMES. LETS CHAT.

So if I can broaden my playing scope while carrying less, I'll jump for it.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
I will download it as soon as I own a phone that can handle this emulator somewhat atleast. My Galaxy S7 Exynos no chance, waiting for Pixel 4a

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Pointless device, IMHO. Playing 3DS games without the 3D is like playing a VR game on a standard monitor.

Sure it works, but it kinda takes away most of the point of its original intent in the process.
No 3DS games even required 3D, it has always been a tacked-on optional thing.

I have a regular 3ds and it cramps my hands after minutes of playing. Plus, that resolution. Sounds good, imagine if nintendo offered this directly? I'd pay retail hardware bucks for an official emulator.
Imagine if they just sold the games on PC and you could play them at uber resolutions and settings with no hacks or workarounds

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Alright. I'm going to give Pokemon Moon and Fire Emblem Fates a go since I have them on my PC from testing the PC version.
If anyone has questions, Let me know. I'm gonna run on a stock Note 9

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Pointless device, IMHO. Playing 3DS games without the 3D is like playing a VR game on a standard monitor.

Sure it works, but it kinda takes away most of the point of its original intent in the process.
...?

I literally can't see 3D since I'm legally blind in one of my eyes. Do you think there's no point in me playing 3DS games? Like, do you believe it's not worth it for me to play FIre Emblem Awakening?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I agree, honestly, though we're surely in the minority. Playing 3DS games without the stereoscopic display feels pointless
This is such an exaggeration. Playing 3DS games without using 3D is absolutely fine, hardly anything is taken away from them by not enabling 3D. Pointless isn't the word I would use at all, all those people playing on their 2DSs aren't having "pointless" experiences.

entock

Jan 13, 2018
Alright. I'm going to give Pokemon Moon and Fire Emblem Fates a go since I have them on my PC from testing the PC version.
If anyone has questions, Let me know. I'm gonna run on a stock Note 9

tried out fates today as I haven't played since I got the launch special edition. The battles are kinda choppy for me not sure if you have anything better. I'm on a 9+. I remember hearing this was an issue even on normal computers so not sure if your is any better.

Messed with settings and couldn't get it any better. Could turn off battle animations I guess or just deal with it.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
...?

I literally can't see 3D since I'm legally blind in one of my eyes. Do you think there's no point in me playing 3DS games? Like, do you believe it's not worth it for me to play FIre Emblem Awakening?

Took the words right out of my mouth. 0 sight in my left eye, so 3D is pretty useless.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
tried out fates today as I haven't played since I got the launch special edition. The battles are kinda choppy for me not sure if you have anything better. I'm on a 9+. I remember hearing this was an issue even on normal computers so not sure if your is any better.

Messed with settings and couldn't get it any better. Could turn off battle animations I guess or just deal with it.

Good to know. Maybe I'll focus on Pokemon then. I'll try out Fates to see what happens though.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017

Even on PC, 3DS Fire Emblem battles still aren't full speed.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
This is awesome. I recently ripped my Monster Hunter 4U cart and save so I could play on PC with an xbox controller (to have a half decent right joystick). Would be cool to get that portable again.
I'd imagine a Nightly build is still required to make that game run though :/

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why not just...buy a 3DS
All depends on the person of course. Like, why do some people care about their phones being as thin as possible to the point that even the 3.5mm jack had to go bye-bye?

I imagine that at least for some people, the answer to both questions is very similar: less is more/using up the least amount of space in one's pockets as possible/etc. Just as one potential answer.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Always good to see emulation progress. I've had Citra on my desktop for awhile but haven't made time to dump any games yet.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
It runs fine on my Pixel 3 (SD 835, iirc). Drains the battery like nothing else, haha, but that's to be expected. My copy of SMTIVA also ran quite well, it stopped working on one of the area transitions, though, and the game crashed. Sound was also off for a bit.

Very solid start, and the game looks beautiful when in higher res than on the poor 3DS screens. But it's rather bothersome to play it this way, even with a controller via BT, as I've got no way of setting up my phone in a manner that's all that comfy to game in.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Guess what, yesterday the first Citra release for Switch was reaching almost fullspeed in some games.

I don't want to say Nintendon't but they really Nintendon't.

That there's so many downloads proves there's interest.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's cool to see emulation come this far. And this is only the first release. Runs like garbo on my Exynos phone (S9+) but I expected as much as it is optimized for Snapdragon devices. Definitely getting one of those as my next phone. Seems all around better for gaming.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Been using Citra on my Laptop and I'm surprised by the performance. My Old 3DS has a busted L button so any games that require it have been collecting dust.

Tried Samus Returns on my Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite and runs @ 15 fps, impressive for an early release and considering my phone's lack of power. Gonna try Pokemon Y later, need to track down my cart to dump.

Edit: and man, the veiled trolling in this thread is pathetic. Anything that Nintendo doesn't approve of is a sacrilege.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
There's no way in hell I'm walking with both the 3DS and Switch at the same time

HELLO POTENTIAL THIEVES, I HAVE DISPOSABLE INCOME THAT I HAVE UNWISELY BLOWN ON VIDEO GAMES. LETS CHAT.

Or you could carry one at a time. No need to carry multiple gaming devices at once.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

Shit, why stop at just the 3DS and Switch? Throw in a Game Boy, Lynx, and Game Gear while you're at it.

Just get a bandolier of sorts that all these things can easily slot into.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
For anyone curious, dumping 3DS games is super easy. You can even transfer your savegames over. Used it to play some of my 3DS games on the PC. Ultimately gave up on it again, simply because the dual screen setup of the 3DS is annoying to deal with on PC.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Why not just...buy a 3DS

The 3DS has a pretty terrible screen compared to any modern smartphone, a worse sound chip, can't use emulator features like rendering in higher resolutions, no savestates, no bluetooth controller support (assuming Citra for android supports that yet?) and people don't carry around their 3DS everywhere unlike their smartphones. There are plenty legit reasons to prefer playing 3DS games emulated on a smartphone.

Been using Citra on my Laptop and I'm surprised by the performance. My Old 3DS has a busted L button so any games that require it have been collecting dust.

Tried Samus Returns on my Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite and runs @ 15 fps, impressive for an early release and considering my phone's lack of power. Gonna try Pokemon Y later, need to track down my cart to dump.

I have recently started playing Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse on my desktop via Citra and it runs pretty well with 3x scaling. Despite some slight stuttering here and there it runs at a pretty stable 60fps. I was pleasantly surprised really, for a menu based RPG it runs perfectly acceptable and looks a lot better than on 3DS. I'd test how it runs on my OnePlus 6T but I generally don't like gaming on small screens (strains my eyes a lot and usually ends in me getting nauseous or a headache after a couple hours) so I think I'll continue playing on desktop in that case. The only complication here was getting my Shin Megami Tensei IV Clear Save from my 3DS onto my pc so I could import it in SMT4A. Ripping the game itself was pretty easy.

Edit: and man, the veiled trolling in this thread is pathetic. Anything that Nintendo doesn't approve of is a sacrilege.

It's like this in every emulator thread, they usually get derailed within the first couple posts. A stern message from staff later and the same posters will be back for the next occasion since they get away scot free most of the time.

Last edited:

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Or you could carry one at a time. No need to carry multiple gaming devices at once.

Thats the whole idea homie

I pick a device and walk with it. Some days it's the vita, some days it's gba, some days it's the switch etcetera. But there times where I have one device but I get a strong urge to play a game that is not on my person. It's a first world problem sure, but it sucks

This emulator helps with that. I can have a broader reach over my catalog while carrying around my phone and one gaming device. Feels good.

I shouldn't have to explain this.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
can someone name the best 10 3DS games please?

I got chu fam

In no particular order and spread out to reach multiple genres are

Fire Emblem Echoes Shadow of Valentia

Super Mario 3D Land

The Legend of Zelda Orcarina of time 3D /Majora's mask 3D

Theatyrythm Final Fantasy

Star Fox 64

Legend of Zelda Link between worlds

Kid Icarus Uprising (have fun playing that on
phone lmao)

Super Smash Brothers for 3ds

Metroid Samus Returns

Pushmo

I tried hard to avoid ports but three that I felt were pretty important

You were probably joking but it was fun to go back through. Limiting the best of the 3ds to 10 is hard as hell and I don't think I even agree with this final list.

Someone should do a retrospective thread on the system honestly