• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
WRUOGbY.gif

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Going by this twitter thread, it seems like it is more like blackmail and extortion by the police.
He's just describing typical police tactics that happen in every city when they get pushback. Yes, the police operate like a protection racket. No, that's not an excuse for failing to hold them accountable or failing to massively reform the policing system.

I get that they are in a difficult position, but ultimately they aren't the ones who suffer, it's the citizens in these communities who suffer.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is happening in a lot of cities. They are listening and thanking people, but generally only respond if a citizen has a specific question for one these officials. They're trying to let as many people be heard as possible. I watched today's meeting here in Oklahoma City for about six hours. It was great and really moving. We definitely dragged our officials through dirt. About 1 in ever 30 citizens ended up being very pro cop and citizens in the zoom chat would lay into them

Who cares if they listen and don't do shit to change?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I care. And dozens of people who spoke to our officials today. And everybody they know or in their community. It's great that this is happening and being recorded across so many cities.
It's great that it's happening but again if they refuse to change....

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love the comments.

It's really sad that these people can hear this stuff and be just as stone faced and uninterested. There's not going to suddenly be some great change of heart, they're lost.

Signal boost the fuck out of this stuff though.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
this is probably the only time they're ever gonna do this again. But damn it was so worth it just seeing these pigs get destroyed over and over again.

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand this format. Why do people just shout at them and they don't respond?

Imagine being some semi-wealthy career bureaucrat who's existed in a bubble of indifference, surrounded by yes-men for decades. The only time you interacted with the public was at meetings in some government building nobody wants to go to because traffic is terrible and because people are generally apathetic.

Then suddenly you're doing Zoom meetings because of a pandemic and a curfew, the streets are full of protestors, the cops are literally beating people on camera, and you're being publicly clowned on by person after person and it's all being broadcast to hundreds of thousands of people who are joining in dunking on you in the comments.

It's so delicious.

Oct 25, 2017
If nothing else positive comes of all this, at least I'll always be excited over "I yield my time, FUCK YOU". A slogan to live by.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
So the whole thing was just them listening? I wish they were allowed to make some shitty comment at the end to see how much they don't care

Still it was great to force them to sit there for hours while being shat on by thousand of peoples

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
What is this "I yield my time" thing? Something I missed or something I don't get because of me being a Spaniard or the language? A reference?

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Ok I saw that, I thought he was referencing something else too.

And yes, it's good. Thanks!

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Lol I hope this continues when we can attend council meetings in person. And every single person should just say I yield my time fuck you.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
los angeles realigned its elections to match state elections. the bad news is that garcetti serves 5.5 years instead of 4. the good news is that maybe, because it aligns with gubernatorial elections, higher turnout would result in better decisions for the people of los angeles. only about 17% of the electorate voted in garcetti due to low turnout.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is this "I yield my time" thing? Something I missed or something I don't get because of me being a Spaniard or the language? A reference?

More specifically, it's a term used in American politics when they're given time controls on questions. Each "side," Democrat and Republican has a certain amount of time in a debate, and if you make your point before your allotted personal time is up, you can "yield my time" back to the total time for your "side."

yield time - When the Senate has reached a unanimous consent agreement limiting the time for debate and placing it under the control of floor managers, a senator may be recognized to speak only if a manager yields the senator a specified amount of time to speak. The chair then recognizes the senator receiving the time, not the manager who yields the time, to hold the floor.

If you go to the end of this clip you can see an example of a member of congress doing this (sorry it's a shitty guy, haha): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8A9D7qaHLQ

In that specific instance, it doesn't have a lot of meaning, but it's funny because the guy is going on a profane tirade and acting "parliamentary" at the end.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
los angeles realigned its elections to match state elections. the bad news is that garcetti serves 5.5 years instead of 4. the good news is that maybe, because it aligns with gubernatorial elections, higher turnout would result in better decisions for the people of los angeles. only about 17% of the electorate voted in garcetti due to low turnout.
We need women of color to run for all the offices available. Men, too, of course.

How do you halt white supremacy? Changing the faces at the top.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
More specifically, it's a term used in American politics when they're given time controls on questions. Each "side," Democrat and Republican has a certain amount of time in a debate, and if you make your point before your allotted personal time is up, you can "yield my time" back to the total time for your "side."

If you go to the end of this clip you can see an example of a member of congress doing this (sorry it's a shitty guy, haha): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8A9D7qaHLQ

In that specific instance, it doesn't have a lot of meaning, but it's funny because the guy is going on a profane tirade and acting "parliamentary" at the end.
Thank you. This was very informative.