• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
Eh? Diablo 3 on Switch doesn't suffer from any significant performance issues even when it gets busy and is the same game as the other two consoles.

Just to add a bit here: Although performance seems great in D3, the Switch version (aside from dynamic resolution) seems to have some noticable downgraded textures, especially on characters, compared to other versions.

Regarding C:S : Definitely a surprise, there must be some heavy compromises to get it running, but I'm okay with that for such a complex city builder on the go.

I am worried though, that they didn't simultaneously announce a season pass like with PS4 and One, or did I miss that? Seems they're waiting for initial sales to decide wether they're adding the next few expansions after Snowfall at all :/

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Just to add a bit here: Although performance seems great in D3, the Switch version (aside from dynamic resolution) seems to have some noticable downgraded textures, especially on characters, compared to other versions.

Regarding C:S : Definitely a surprise, there must be some heavy compromises to get it running, but I'm okay with that for such a complex city builder on the go.

I am worried though, that they didn't simultaneously announce a season pass like with PS4 and One, or did I miss that? Seems they're waiting for initial sales to decide wether they're adding the next few expansions after Snowfall at all :/

They haven't announced it, but have indicated in the Euro-gamer interview they plan to support it if it is successful.
We only have up to Snowfall as part of the 'Switch Edition' download.

ghoulie

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah watching that live youtube stream, I'm surprised how nice everything looks. Will have to get it at some point down the road.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Reposting for new page:

Cities: Skylines for Switch has some disappointing performance issues

What lets the port down, regrettably, are its performance issues. When I asked Paradox about Skylines' framerate, I was told it typically averages a healthy 30. But the company admitted that in late game - when urban sprawl really kicks in - it drops to an average of 20. Paradox said it designed the game's movement in a way which minimises "the impact on gameplay aspects" so that "you don't notice it". Personally, however, I found I very much noticed. The slowness of the simulation is pronounced in dense areas, particularly when zooming in on a crowded high street. Not ideal when you're trying to stalk an NPC as they go about their daily life.

In the hands-on session, I asked Paradox if there are any plans to further optimise Cities: Skylines for Switch. The answer is yes: particularly as the patches are free, which means Paradox can "continue optimising". The low FPS in docked mode is apparently due to Paradox wanting to "put most of the focus on the portable part, as that's the selling point for [Switch] customers". For me, however, the Switch is as much about versatility as mobility - and the docked aspect of Switch is an aspect of the console which still deserves attention.

So they decided to push it out earlier than they should have instead of optimise because they can patch later?

Going as far as saying Docked was not a priority and 20fps is standard in Late-Game.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Frame rate for a lot of games on the ND Stream were wonky, FF: Crystal Chronicles which is a GameCube game looked like the frame rate was janky too, which should run easily on Switch.

The version on the stream looks decent.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Does it come with any or all of the currently available DLC? If not, will it get any of it?

And does it have any of the built-in mods the PC version has like infinite money? Can you unlock all the squares from the start or get the larger 5x5 grid? I'd also want that mod that makes the RCI demand always on so you can just build and build and it'll continuously populate so you can be someone who just wants to build the city and not worry about hitting a wall.

If it has or had all that I'd probably bite.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does it come with any or all of the currently available DLC? If not, will it get any of it?

And does it have any of the built-in mods the PC version has like infinite money? Can you unlock all the squares from the start or get the larger 5x5 grid? I'd also want that mod that makes the RCI demand always on so you can just build and build and it'll continuously populate so you can be someone who just wants to build the city and not worry about hitting a wall.

If it has or had all that I'd probably bite.

It has the DLC (After Dark and the Snow one), but no mods.

I'm watching the stream and it looks solid. Now maybe it will slow down as the cities get larger, but from what I'm seeing right now it looks perfectly playable and enjoyable.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I'm really happy - It's an excellent game and everyone should play it.

That said, it takes me about 10 minutes placing a symmetrical curved road on a PC with a mouse, so I'm quite concern about how how the interface is going to work.
Oh, and no mods is a huge bummer as well.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Not even the cheat mods like infinite money or unlock everything?

There is, when you first select a map you can select infinite money (But what's the fun in that.) and all 9 tiles unlocked (really glad the Switch has access to the same tile sizes as the other versions)

As the owner of the PC game, I was debating if Switch was even worth it. But yes, it is. I can play it anywhere.

Ok going to bed for real :P

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
I'm really happy - It's an excellent game and everyone should play it.

That said, it takes me about 10 minutes placing a symmetrical curved road on a PC with a mouse, so I'm quite concern about how how the interface is going to work.
Oh, and no mods is a huge bummer as well.

Second this. Curious about the controls. They totally should release demos for games like these.

edit, I see thanks Magnus

Last edited:

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Second this. Curious about the controls. They totally should release demos for games like these.

Controls are the same as the XBox/PS4 versions per the dude on the stream, only difference is the Switch has HD rumble that creates different sensations to let you know where its best to put certain things (ie: a hospital).

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can we use touch screen guys? That is a big plus if it can happen lol. Also any possible chance for physical release?

joylevel11

Banned
May 19, 2018
this is awesome but i think i'm just gonna stick with PC version because of mouse. i'd be seriously tempted though if the switch version has all dlc because i never got around to buying any.

Misterman

Jun 10, 2018
Nooooooo. Touchscreen feature will make it the proper substitution over point and click there. Hope the devs will implement it.

Also, physical planned yet?
A quick google search showed that they don't really sell physical copies for any system with the exception of Gamestop selling some exclusively. So I'd be pretty confident it won't come physically

Oct 26, 2017
Frame rate for a lot of games on the ND Stream were wonky, FF: Crystal Chronicles which is a GameCube game looked like the frame rate was janky too, which should run easily on Switch.

The version on the stream looks decent.
Never analyze frame rate from a stream. Cutting together videos with different frame rates is going to result in improper framepacing, creating duplicate or missing frames at times. We had the same bollocks when people counted frames on the Switch reveal trailer, not realising that the on screen footage in any electronic commerciale always is an overlay.

But some "experts" used it to determine portable performance lol.

Anyway, a sub 30fps game tends to look worse on a 30 FPS video due to repeated frames.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Never analyze frame rate from a stream. Cutting together videos with different frame rates is going to result in improper framepacing, creating duplicate or missing frames at times. We had the same bollocks when people counted frames on the Switch reveal trailer, not realising that the on screen footage in any electronic commerciale always is an overlay.

But some "experts" used it to determine portable performance lol.

Anyway, a sub 30fps game tends to look worse on a 30 FPS video due to repeated frames.

Well we know it averages 20fps Late-Game, so maybe it weren't the stream? We don't know that.

Either way, waiting for more Late-Game impressions.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A quick google search showed that they don't really sell physical copies for any system with the exception of Gamestop selling some exclusively. So I'd be pretty confident it won't come physically

Sadness. I would love a phsyical version there. How big is the size there guys? Hope my memory can help me lol.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Fff, I mean I'm up for a city builder but this looked quite rough. I'm up for a city builder but I feel it actually needs to be tailored to the Switch rather than porting such a weighty one across.

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
I own this game on Mac and PS4 but not sure I want it for my Switch looking so rough. Cloud Version would get a better reaction out of me than this.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
It's a shame that the Mass Transit expansion is not included. I hope they will at least sell it at some point.
I can see why Mass Transit is not included. Mass Transit, despite adding more options to fine tune your transportation services, would make the game play sluggish because the camera is focusing on heavy traffics, and heavy traffic simulation tends to be performance bottlenecks.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
I own this game on Mac and PS4 but not sure I want it for my Switch looking so rough. Cloud Version would get a better reaction out of me than this.

The appeal to this version is specifically because it's portable. I'm sure most people will overlook the graphical performance.

Oct 26, 2017
Played for 2 hours. Still very much in the early stages.
Grew my city to close to 3000 people. So far had no performance problems.
What's more the controls are very good!

Edit: all played undocked.

Last edited: