• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
To give one recent example:

www.independent.co.uk

William Shatner says being called a 'straight white cis man' is a way of 'harassing and debasing' him

‘Star Trek’ actor said term was a ‘slur’ only ever used for ‘negative reasons’
www.pinknews.co.uk

William Shatner says ‘straight white cis man’ is a ‘slur’ that ‘harasses and debases’ him

Across tweets stretching several days, William Shatner sparred with LGBT+ Twitter users over the term cisgender, often shortened to cis.

As if we needed another reason why picard > kirk, goddamn

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
What? There are people who think cisgender is a slur?
I think its because they are being labelled, when you are straight and cis you are considered the "default" and dont need need labels, so to be labelled makes them feel like they are being "othered" if that makes sense.
Thats the way I've always seen it at least. There's really no excuse for being outraged by it, even if they don't know what it means because if they wanted to look up what it means they would

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Thankfully it hasn't happened to me yet, but yeah, sometimes the use of cishet as a shorthand can be a bit erasing for gay/bisexual men. Mostly for the latter thought.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Nothing in the OP is new to me, but I appreciate the PSA. Thanks OP.

While we're here: I'm told saying "transgendered" is insulting. Is that true? Instead of saying "that person is transgendered" it'd be more polite to say "that is a transgender person," correct? Same for cisgender person vs cisgendered.

Last edited:

Bee.Cups

The Fallen

While we're here: I'm told saying "transgendered" is insulting. Is that true? Instead of saying "that person is transgendered" it'd be more polite to say "that is a transgender person," correct? Same for cisgender person vs cisgender d.
I don't know if it's insulting or not but adding the ed at the end makes it sound like it's something that happened to them when it isn't. They're just a person who happens to be trans, as opposed to a person who happens to be cis.

And yeah, that should be fine. You can also just say trans person instead of the full word and nobody will care, saves on syllables.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you OP for making this highly informative thread.

Learned quite a bit from reading the posts in here.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I don't know if it's insulting or not but adding the ed at the end makes it sound like it's something that happened to them when it isn't. They're just a person who happens to be trans, as opposed to a person who happens to be cis.

And yeah, that should be fine. You can also just say trans person instead of the full word and nobody will care, saves on syllables.

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

While we're here: I'm told saying "transgendered" is insulting. Is that true? Instead of saying "that person is transgendered" it'd be more polite to say "that is a transgender person," correct? Same for cisgender person vs cisgender d.
Yes, bingo. As Bee.Cups mentioned you can abbreviate to trans woman in the majority of cases. The article below goes into it but there's a number of connotations that "transgendered" has that don't sit well. References below to pad out knowledge if useful.
www.vox.com

Why you should always use "transgender" instead of "transgendered"

It's not just about being polite.
Use "Transgender," not "Transgendered." – The word "transgender" is an adjective, not a noun, and never needs the extraneous "-ed" at the end. Chaz Bono can be described as either a man or a transgender man. He is not "a transgender," "a transgendered," or "a transgendered man."
www.glaad.org

Resources For Journalists And Media Covering Chaz Bono And Transgender Issues | GLAAD

Contact: Sharda SekaranDirector of News and Field Media(646) [email protected] McQuadeDeputy Director of News and Field Media(646) [email protected] Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) today is urging both local and national media to take the following into...

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Yes, my comment was in regards to trans people within the binary. Brining non-binary trans people into the discussion makes things more complicated. 😅 This is the first time I've heard of terms like "adrophilic" and such to describes one's orientation. I'll have to research that. It's complex a topic, especially since some non-binary people lean into binary conventions like non-binary lesbians for example.

This is a good point to bring up. I usually only say "non-binary trans" when in the same breath I use "binary trans" which I realize has its issues.

Yeah, actually most of the other lesbians I know are non-binary too. We're growing each day! :D But lesbianism as a whole is just really, really complex & hard to grasp for many nonlesbians as we're (outside of ace/aro people) the only people who's romantic & sexual life don't have a place for men (outside of awful comphet :( ) & many don't like/understand that. And womanhood is so deeply connected with heteronormativity & the patriarchy & just men in general that for many of us being non-binary, butches, he/him lesbians or all 3 together is.. really freeing. At least I know that's what it feels like for me & friends.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
honestly shocked that this was misunderstood

only the het in cishet means hetero, people must have thought the whole word meant het

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
the only people who's romantic & sexual life don't have a place for men
giphy.gif

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Not exactly and completely on the final part. Though colloquially trans can mean everything outside of the binary there are lots of non-binary people who don't see or identify themselves as trans. Thus the assumption that all people that are non-binary are trans is a problematic one as it incorrectly assumes the identity of others. Something to be aware of and even Stonewall is careful to make the distinction:

Case in point: I am non-binary, but whether or not I'm also trans is still something I'm trying to figure out.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany

only the het in cishet means hetero, people must have thought the whole word meant het

Funniest thing to me will always be cishet men who get mad about getting called cishet & say shit like "'I'm not hetero and cis I'm a straight man" lmao people are so fucking stupid

!!! The weight that got lifted off of my shoulders the second I realized I was a lesbian? Massive.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Nudge this up for anyone that didn't catch it earlier but might find it useful as others have.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
Funniest thing to me will always be cishet men who get mad about getting called cishet & say shit like "'I'm not hetero and cis I'm a straight man" lmao people are so fucking stupid

!!! The weight that got lifted off of my shoulders the second I realized I was a lesbian? Massive.
not everyone knows about everything. Could be a chance to educate them.

Also this is a happy thread. I'm glad it exists for people who didn't know already.

Last edited:

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Yeah, actually most of the other lesbians I know are non-binary too. We're growing each day! :D But lesbianism as a whole is just really, really complex & hard to grasp for many nonlesbians as we're (outside of ace/aro people) the only people who's romantic & sexual life don't have a place for men (outside of awful comphet :( ) & many don't like/understand that. And womanhood is so deeply connected with heteronormativity & the patriarchy & just men in general that for many of us being non-binary, butches, he/him lesbians or all 3 together is.. really freeing. At least I know that's what it feels like for me & friends.
Yep being a lesbian is great. I'm a femme lesbian myself and couldn't be happier, and I fully support non-binary lesbians.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil

I always thought the problem was more people being too fast to throw "cishet" when arguing with someone, since it can lead to mislabeling cis people who aren't hetero at all.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
Yeah, this seems like a good barometric to tell if people are getting it. Getting people to understand how they're cis is just as important as explaining how other people are trans.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
not everyone knows about everything. Could be a chance to educate them.

Also this is a happy thread. I'm glad it exists for people who didn't know already.

? I'm not talking about people who just don't know, I'm talking about men who clearly are ignorant & hurtful & don't want to change their ways. Most know that heterosexual means straight, but of course not everyone knows that cis means, well, not trans. I'm talking about the ones who think cishet is a slur, nothing negative about pointing out there's an insane amount of homophobic & transphobic cishet men who're the same ones that say asinine shit like "I don't use pronouns it's SJW shit". I'm glad this thread can educate people who didn't know about the term cisgender before & that people are understanding, doesn't mean I can't make a lighthearted joke about the hypocrisy of men who want me & others like me dead that I have to put up with every day. I'm genuinely sorry if it came off differently, wasn't my intention.

Yep being a lesbian is great. I'm a femme lesbian myself and couldn't be happier, and I fully support non-binary lesbians.

I've been getting more comfortable accepting that I'm just more butch than femme lately and it's so beautiful. I just love how diverse the lesbian community is & that for the most part everyone just supports each other wholeheartedly. And thank you for being supportive yourself, it means a whole lot. ;w;

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Furthermore, 'transgender' is an adjective, not a noun. This is something I wish Indian English-language media organisations would pick up, as they continue using it as a noun even when they're writing articles in support of transgender rights.
Thanks, I wanted to mention that after reading OP.
I guess people just don't know how to use that word sensitively, because basically everyone I've told to please stop using the word as a noun or a verb has had the same reaction: Understanding. I'm sure this won't work for people that are openly transphobic in different ways, but this specific issue of using the word wrong is one of the few honest mistakes you see people make. Not that the lack of malice makes it less frustrating and/or hurtful, I'm sure.

I've gotta imagine this is quite confusing for eastern europeans lol
Don't forget Star Wars

Last edited:

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I just wanted to correct a mistake I see pretty often on this forum. Cisgender means the opposite of transgender, its people who feel comfortable with the gender they were assigned as a baby. Heterosexual means liking people of the opposite sex. Often they're used together with like "cishet people" which just would mean heterosexual cisgender people aka people who are both the gender they were assigned at birth and they like the opposite sex.

Since I'm here I might as well clear up a couple more things,
Trans people are not "transgendered", that implies that thats something that happens to them rather than something they are.
Likewise you should avoid saying transmen or transwoman as it implies that that is their gender separate from men and women. Instead it should be trans men and trans women, as its a adjective, just one trait that they have

Thanks! I really appreciate the clarification, as it's something I was unsure of myself, not so much the cis part, but the distinction between "trans man/transwoman" and "trans man/trans woman"

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
By the most useful definition trans people is everyone whose gender identity is not the same as the one assigned at birth.
Since most of us come from cultures where only binary identities are assigned, being non binary makes you trans by default.

Not exactly and completely on the final part. Though colloquially trans can mean everything outside of the binary there are lots of non-binary people who don't see or identify themselves as trans. Thus the assumption that all people that are non-binary are trans is a problematic one as it incorrectly assumes the identity of others. Something to be aware of and even Stonewall is careful to make the distinction:

www.stonewall.org.uk

10 ways to step up as an ally to non-binary people

14 July is International Non-Binary People’s Day, which aims to celebrate the wide range of people worldwide who identify as non-binary. But do you know what it means to be non-binary? And do you know how you can better support non-binary people? Here are some ideas! ...

If people that are non-binary do identify as trans then obviously no issue in those cases.
Exactly.

I do think that because non-binary is "new" to a lot of people, they don't know where it fits.

I'm thinking extra-? Outside of. Maybe even intra- for within? Or maybe to align with intersex, inter- for between. I guess it depends on your persepective as a non-binary person.

For example, "extragender" as compared to cis or trans. For now, I suppose non-binary is sufficient for now?

Things like this make me happy and really encourages my introspection of my own non/binary identity.

I have a lot to think about. But I think it would just be the freedom that I'm looking for in a way.

I'm a cisgender (?) man . . . but I feel like there's a lot of pressure for me to perform a certain way. This includes following white supremacist norms as well, because I'm a PoC who's fair . . . and was always told to pass.

I'm tired of the narratives of passing, and I just don't care anymore. I am my own person, I want to embrace my roots, and I want to embrace my own gender identity, whatever that is. I want to practice anti-racism at the core of my being, and also anti-gender/sex/misogyny as well.

Last edited: