• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Seems like they're taking the right approach by saying this will be on a county by county basis and not a across the board announcement. Makes sense and I'm sure some places will open then.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I saw Blade Runner 2049 at a Dolby theater with only 3 other people in there. It was a huge auditorium but at like 11 AM on a weekday. I'd feel pretty safe doing that. Also I wouldn't mind watching that movie again in a Dolby Cinema. I guess my point is that theaters should open up their Dolby screens and play that movie, but only for me and maybe a couple of other healthy people.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Temporary Open Seating *

so many open seats and that random dude still decides to sit next to you

🤬

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Seems like they're taking the right approach by saying this will be on a county by county basis and not a across the board announcement. Makes sense and I'm sure some places will open then.

The article also says capped theatres which should probably be in the OP. They said they can cap as low as 10% and still be profitable

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What movies are they going to show though? Everything has been delayed or postponed so unless they can get major movie studios on board this seems kind of pointless.

I will be there Day 1 for First Cow. Give me that cow!

Oct 28, 2017
No Fear, I'm there. I wonder how it works with families. I don't need to be distant from my own kids at the movies. 6ft Radius around the party.

I would see The Mandolorian in theaters.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Still waiting for that resurgence of drive-in theaters being built in now useless professional sports arenas.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to wait and see how the landscape is in July before I start poo-pooing on Cinemark.

Mett

Oct 29, 2017
They want people to risk getting sick to....see movies they can already see at home?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think you're overreacting here. Every company is going to have a plan for how they reopen but nothing is going to be set in stone and things are going to have to be based on how things go, but you can be sure every company is coming up with a plan and basing it on some sort of possible timeline. They can't just throw that together at the last second.

These announcements are doing harm and giving people a false sense that things will be better in July. They won't. And for every company just making plans (they should), there will be those that actually open up in July regardless of what doctors are advising at the time.

This is ridiculous and dangerous.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some people honestly think the entire world should just shut down and the economy/society collapse until a vaccine shows up in 18-24 months. Every single business, organization and government in the world is making plans about loosing social restrictions because lockdown isn't a long term plan for survival.

there's an interesting article from deadline about how Hollywood productions are gonna open back up. It's *incredibly* complicated and not without risk, but it's a conversation we all have to have. We can't stick our heads in the sand and wish things will go back to normal. We have to figure out a way of living with this for the next two years. The planning stage is right now.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some people honestly think the entire world should just shut down and the economy/society collapse until a vaccine shows up in 18-24 months. Every single business, organization and government in the world is making plans about loosing social restrictions because lockdown isn't a long term plan for survival.

there's an interesting article from deadline about how Hollywood productions are gonna open back up. It's *incredibly* complicated and not without risk, but it's a conversation we all have to have. We can't stick our heads in the sand and wish things will go back to normal. We have to figure out a way of living with this for the next two years. The planning stage is right now.

We. Do. Not. Need. Theaters. To. Open.

Theaters not opening is not going to collapse society. New waves of infections however, will.

Domino Theory

Ripple Effect Studios
Verified
Nov 6, 2017
What I see as a viable solution for the next year is capping attendance at 50% and closing off every two seats. The lower cap is something AMC announced a week before the shelter in place hit California. That way every fourth seat has someone sitting in it, but only up to 50% of available seats.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
These announcements are doing harm and giving people a false sense that things will be better in July. They won't. And for every company just making plans (they should), there will be those that actually open up in July regardless of what doctors are advising at the time.

This is ridiculous and dangerous.

These announcements are made to keep investors informed and to try to create stability within their company and to buy them time. Plus it lets them gauge a public reaction and to get feedback too in order to change plans. You're overreacting here.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
There should a return of drive-in theaters. I'd go to one of those! Where are all of those?!

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We. Do. Not. Need. Theaters. To. Open.

Theaters not opening is not going to collapse society. New waves of infections however, will.
Theaters employ tens of thousands of people across the world. And those same theaters are the ones that keep the hundreds of thousands of people who work to create cinema employed. Maybe the rich billionaires can just chill out for a year but millions of people can't. They have to find a way to get back to work.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I'll pass.

Partly because it's the same people that are the least worried about social distancing and catching the virus that will be the first to dip their toes in the water.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just ready for our day 1 digital release future for movies. I'll gladly pay $30-$50 for a day one movie that I can pause.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not going back to a movie theater for the rest of the year, let alone July lol. I wish them luck, they will need it.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think movie theaters opening will be more of a regional thing. Some areas may be able to open by July 1st, but other places like New York City are probably not opening any time soon.

Personally, I will be there day one, but I live alone so I have a little more leeway in my day to day life.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
These announcements are made to keep investors informed and to try to create stability within their company and to buy them time. You're overreacting here.

I'm aware. But there are people here arguing that this is a good idea. Talk to them.

Theaters employ tens of thousands of people across the world. And those same theaters are the ones that keep the hundreds of thousands of people who work to create cinema employed. Maybe the rich billionaires can just chill out for a year but millions of people can't. They have to find a way to get back to work.

It fucking sucks. But putting those people and their families at risk for minimum wage is not the answer to this problem.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
They ought not even say these sorts of things. It just gets people used to the idea of things going back to normal soon, which is not happening. Personally I don't plan to set foot in a theater anytime this year, and likely a good chunk of next year as well.

BobbyRawlins

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, no. and i really dont understand people being all gung-ho to rush to the theater if they do reopen with no readily available vaccine. madness.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It fucking sucks. But putting those people and their families at risk for minimum wage is not the answer to this problem.
Keeping millions of people at home with no source of income is an even bigger risk.

the fact of the matter is that every single organization, business, and government is working on things like cinemark right now. This is not "gross", or greed. This is how the entire world works. The virus is not going away until *maybe* 2022. We cannot wait that long for people to get back to work. It's not a perfect solution, and it's gonna be very difficult, and it's gonna take a lot of work on a case by case basis. But it's something that has to be done.

OP
OP
Meg Cherry

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think you're overreacting here. Every company is going to have a plan for how they reopen but nothing is going to be set in stone and things are going to have to be based on how things go, but you can be sure every company is coming up with a plan and basing it on some sort of possible timeline. They can't just throw that together at the last second.
Yeah, the fact they're committing to obeying all local guidelines (unlike something like GameStop, which actively defied said orders) is ultimately what makes me okay with this. If things are in a state come July for theaters to exist with social distance measures - they should be able to open their doors.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just ready for our day 1 digital release future for movies. I'll gladly pay $30-$50 for a day one movie that I can pause.
Not going to happen for Hollywood films.

There are already all kinds of indie films with virtual screenings that will benefit your local theatre. $12 per film.

kinomarquee.com

Kino Lorber - Experience Cinema

The Best In World Cinema - including European, Asian, Silent, documentary, and American Independent titles. Kino Lorber sells videos and dvds directly to customers through its online store and mail order catalog.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the fact they're committing to obeying all local guidelines (unlike something like GameStop, which actively defied said orders) is ultimately what makes me okay with this. If things are in a state come July for theaters to exist with social distance measures - they should be able to open their doors.
Well hopefully they have their lawyers ready to go as well, people get infected and trace it back to when they went to the theater.

People's health is in their hands if they feel that they can keep people safe.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

It just isn't going to work financially for them to make this viable. I think Trolls World Tour is starting to prove that since it made significantly less than it would have in the theater so far.