• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
From Deadline

In a new Deadline report, Cinemark executives spoke to investors about the company's plan to reopen beginning on July 1, with employees coming back in mid-June. According to CFO and COO Sean Gamble, Cinemark won't open its doors and encourage packed houses with brand-new films. Instead, the chain is taking a more reserved approach to reopening. And it won't be a chain-wide reopen either, with each location following local government regulations.

"We won't be everything back day 1, but dip our toe approach," said Gamble.

Cinemark CEO and Board Director Mark Zoradi added the theater chain would be focused on "showing library product, high profile library product" during its first two weeks of operation. This is similar to what China attempted to do when the country initially reopened cinemas last month. That country was set to show films such as "Interstellar," "Avatar," and "Avengers: Endgame" to help drive audiences back to theaters. It's unclear which films might be featured at Cinemark during this period.

It might be too ambitious of a goal to try and make this happen before the summer, but I hope they pull it off. Even if it's something I've seen before, I would pay top dollar to watch just about anything in a movie theater right now.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
They should show Avatar and Endgame. Get that race going again
This is a joke in case anyone thought this was serious

Personally I won't step in a theater for the rest of the year

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I would very much like to go to a movie again. The moment they re-open, I'm there.

And yet, I'm not so sure it's a good idea. But there's the paradox of living in an isolated pandemic.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You couldn't pay me to go back to a movie theater for a long fucking time, let alone in July.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think i'll be setting foot in a theatre before November at least, seems crazy to me. But as long as they're being smart about it, people who are comfortable going should have fun

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully California is smart and doesn't let that happen, think of the people first

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see myself going to a movie theater this year.

I also don't think I want to go to any doctors office unless its an emergency.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I do love this idea as I'd definitely pay less to see older movies on the big screen but yeah, I don't know if I'll see any movies this summer.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
You couldn't pay me to go back to a movie theater for a long fucking time, let alone in July.
Yeah, I won't be going to movies for a long time. We barely know anything about this virus.

One little fact that is rarely mentioned is that Spanish Flu had 3 waves with the wave 3 being the deadliest. I'm pretty shocked how stupid most governments have been with this. There's a lack of historical perspective.

We're only in wave one.

We should be preparing for long term mitigation and mass testing, but we have impatient idiots at the wheels of power.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also lol at believing that they're going to deep clean the seat area after people watch movies, movie theaters are disgusting for a reason.

Nobody actually makes sure that they're actually clean, I know because I worked as security for one.

I saw what went down

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
That's still, what, 11 weeks away?

That's 3-4X longer than most places have had quarantine rules in place, so at lot could have changed by that point.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I assume they have to try or go under, but I'm not optimistic about their chances.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see myself going back to a theater until sometime next year. I'm really hoping the idea of releasing movies digitally soon after they're in theaters sticks around after this.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Hell no! Going to a movie is literally the last thing I will be doing before a vaccine. It's not that magical an experience that I can't hold off for awhile longer.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Not getting me in seats. If they were to do something like use the side wall of their bigger theaters as a screen and implement drive-in technology, I'd be all over that shit. But I'm not putting myself or my wife in a theater next to other people for a long time.

Squirt

Oct 28, 2017
nah. we didn't go very often, but i'm not risking it. a trip to the grocery store is stressful enough. will wait. they probably wouldn't reopen that early here anyway.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This will work well, until a single person coughs or sneezes and people get trampled running toward the exit.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I wish we had a President who wasn't pushing to open the country early so he doesn't have to agree to a second stimulus. Behavior like this is a result of his actions.

"Oh, hey! Country's open again! Let's all go to the movies!"

- "Uhh... is there a vaccine? Readily available testing?"

"No, silly! None of that! BUT NOW I CAN GO BACK TO POSTING FACEBOOK SELFIES AT THE THEATER LIKE IT'S SOME UNIQUE EVENT NO ONE HAS EVER EXPERIENCED AGAIN!!"

People are going to get sick because of this.
People will die because of this.
This should not be celebrated.
Cinemark should be ashamed.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No reason why you would want to drop a Movie in 2020, if they still open at half capacity that's less money than you would have made from your film, sometime next year would be the safer choice.

Imagine your film has been out for a week, then everything shuts down again, you're screwed.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not gonna lie, i would be very happy if one of the consequences of the coronavirus was a bunch of cheap cinemas that play old movies.

of course i mean old movies that are good (and actually old). not shit like avatar and avengers.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel terrible for these companies. They are obviously doing this to stay afloat.

This is not going to go well for them.

Ballou

Apr 2, 2020
Really can't see myself going to the theater (or anything similar) again until there's a vaccine.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt attendance is going to be anywhere near normal until a vaccine is available. Won't be much out during the summer now anyway.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Disgusting. Fuck them. Risking people's lives so they can make money.

I think you're overreacting here. Every company is going to have a plan for how they reopen but nothing is going to be set in stone and things are going to have to be based on how things go, but you can be sure every company is coming up with a plan and basing it on some sort of possible timeline. They can't just throw that together at the last second.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
20% still seems like a lot considering that's like 40 people per theatre on average

You need to force seat assignments that are 6ft apart for every group too