• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Since people are including manga stuff in here already...

Ruri Dragon is boring as fuck and not since Solo Levelling have I been this baffled at a series's popularity.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Slam Dunk is the best sports manga. Has a disappointing anime...that's still better than that awful copycat Haikyu!
Why you gotta bring Haikyu!!! into this? Slam dunk is good tho.

Probably not a hot take but I think Rent A Girlfriend is some straight up garbage. I dunno how tf dudes put up with 200+ chapters of that loser MC.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Only Dragon Ball take I got is the usual, Gohan ain't suited to be the protagonist, I'd sooner take Caulifla over him

Also the only way modern Dragon Ball is capable of satisfying people regarding its supporting cast is through tournament arcs

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Some of Oda's designs are awful. Example: Apoo.

I don't think that's a hot take though.

Malakiax

Oct 25, 2017
Since people are including manga stuff in here already...

Ruri Dragon is boring as fuck and not since Solo Levelling have I been this baffled at a series's popularity.
return-to-death-dead-again.gif

Oct 29, 2017
Only Dragon Ball take I got is the usual, Gohan ain't suited to be the protagonist, I'd sooner take Caulifla over him

Also the only way modern Dragon Ball is capable of satisfying people regarding its supporting cast is through tournament arcs

The best tournament arc in any manga/anime is the Chunnin exam in Naruto (which includes all the way to the finales of the Naruto v Gaara and Orochimaru v Third Hokage fights). Dragon ball wishes it had anything close to it.

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
When I first saw the thumbnail for Record of Ragnarok on netflix I was immediately turned off because of the depiction of Aphrodite

Now it's one of the series I look forward to most every new issue

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
GL post that thing happening, and particularly post timeskip being worse is far from a hot take pretty much everyone was saying this :D

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to come in here and say Wing was better than UC but what in the world is this
Gundam wing was exceeingly
mediocre and i think 90% of the love it gets is entirely attributable to being people's first experience with that sort of mecha show. still way better than seed and especially seed destiny though

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly certain this isn't exactly uncommon, but Pop Team Epic was one of the most unfunniest "comedies" I've seen. Doesn't help they couldn't think of enough material, so just repeated the exact same jokes TWICE for the 2nd half of each episode, but now it's said differently, so clearly if you just repeat the same joke but change your voice, that somehow makes it funnier.

My hot take is that dragon ball z has always been terrible. Super is even worse.

The OG dragon ball is fine.
I already said my piece about DBZ, but man, even as a kid when the series was breaking into the mainstream & I would've been the absolute right age to get into it, I was just perplexed by why my friends were so into it, even with the few episodes I was able to watch due to not having cable.

Toriyama is a better comedian than he is a storyteller, & that Dr. Slump crossover episode was the best thing to come out of Super. The baseball episode was a close 2nd.

Last edited:

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The dub for Beck, including songs, is better than the sub.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
After having had years to think back on it, Gurren Lagann is better after you know who dies.

Gurren Lagann fell off hard after you know who died

M6pP9My.gif

That said, if I never see another tournament arc again in my life it'll be too soon lol

As long as they ain't boring like MHA's, I don't mind them

Basically a good tournament arc to me is one where the stuff surrounding said tournament is like actually interesting, it's not something to just be played completely straight, not if you want it to be memorable anyways

landing43

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2022

Kaguya Sama is just a high budget romcom with nothing particularly noteworthy....certainly not AOTY material.

Anya from SpyxFamily is the worst part of the show.
Women-authored romcoms, and in general Shojo and Josei romances are often ignored in favor of Shonen/Seinen stuff.

Shojo and Josei stuff should be bigger.

Hana Yori Dango is the most successful manga/anime franchise ever and has the most successful live action adaptations.

Anime on Nickelodeon like Maple Town and Belfy and Lillibit should've been way bigger.

World Masterpiece Theater anime aren't talked about enough despite their global success and iconic status.

Anime should be shown on the biggest channels on the US like CBS and ABC, like how it is in other countries where Anime is actually mainstream and broadcasted next to SpongeBob and Dexter's Lab.

A lot of the Big Anime like One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist, Dragonball, Naruto and Hunter X Hunter are actually kids stuff, despite edgelords saying how they are "adult".

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
He's right

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Before watching: I bet the big hot take is going to be saying OP isn't as good as people like to say it is.

I was hoping for something really insane like saying Bleach is better then OP

My hot take: Clannad After Story has the biggest bullshit ending that retroactively makes me hate the series.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
He's right

No u

Oct 29, 2017
Before watching: I bet the big hot take is going to be saying OP isn't as good as people like to say it is.

I was hoping for something really insane like saying Bleach is better then OP

My hot take: Clannad After Story has the biggest bullshit ending that retroactively makes me hate the series.

Back in the day I would have said Bleach was better than OP.

But I recently reread it from start to the completion of the soul society arc, and I have come to the conclusion that Bleach's story is ass. Even the "good part", the soul society arc, is basically devoid of any character development whatsoever. Kubo's art and character design? Top fucking notch. But holy shit was it a boring reread, for what used to be one of my favorite mangas growing up.

landing43

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2022
Evangelion is overrated trash that is only held to a high esteem because of its constant and shitty use of religious imagery and references.

This is about hot takes not searing hot truths.
Evangelion is a just kids show that was originally used to replace the Japanese dub of the 80s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Cartoon on TV Tokyo.

youtu.be

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles / TMNT - Japanese Ending 2

Roll Call / Credits from when it aired in Japan, also has a early preview for Evangelion.Circa 1995

landing43

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2022
The American English DUB of Ghost Stories, with all its America -inserted 2000s era bigotry is a shining example of the worst American Localization an anime can get.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
Jo Jo sucks
Dubs > subs
Fanservice rules
Samurai Champloo > Space Dandy >>>>>>> Cowboy Bebop
OG Dragon Ball is better than everything that came after
Evangelion is nonsense
Trigun is nonsense (but Vash is cool)
Every Gundam series freaking sucks, but I love the robots on their own

Uhm ... I'm definitely going to hot take prison, aren't I?

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Understandable. If I was in the jury I would acquit.
Thank you, I appreciate it!

I mean yeah it is broken that way unfortunately.
It really is such a shame.

Yep, the only time a shonen escapes from doing girls dirty is when...they are not featured at all.
I'm sure there are some out there. But whenever someone tells me a shonen anime is the pinnacle of all storytelling, but the female characters aren't even treated as people, I have to nope out.

I am currently collecting Fullmetal Alchemist hoping that it bucks this trend.

I thought JJK handled all of those things you're complaining about really well. I've heard the manga past where the anime has covered gets worse but what I watched in the anime seemed relatively engaging along with strong cool female characters.
I mostly enjoyed what I saw of the female characters in JJK, but I've heard the same. My partner read ahead in the manga and said we should just drop the show. :(

landing43

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2022
I would probably be locked away for life if the jury were made of shonen fans.

But most of my hot takes come down to: Nothing in a shonen show can make up for its appalling writing, designs, and general portrayal of female characters.

Sucks because I love fight scenes, power ups, fantasy and sci-fi settings, and other typical shonen tropes.
Stop-Hibari Kun, Touch, School Rumble and Kimagure Orange Road, Detective Conan and Urusei Yatsura are Shonen. Where are the powerups in those?

More people should talk about Shojo aka those made for young girls and teen girls like stuff like Junji Ito things such as Tomie, Aishite Night, Banana Fish, Gakuen Alice, Magicka Knight Rayearth etc.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I could never get the appeal of any Ghibli film. Any time I saw them on TV I was either bored watching them or the feeling I got watching them in general was always somehow disgusting. Could never figure that out

Oct 29, 2017
The American English DUB of Ghost Stories, with all its America -inserted 2000s era bigotry is a shining example of the worst American Localization an anime can get.

Aged like warm milk, just like most comedy from back then.

Not surprised in the slightest that people liked it, though--the 00's were the Golden Age of Digital Edgelords.

But that Cowboy Bebop line was the truth. You can skip to the last 5 minutes of the last ep and not miss anything

WHY CAN'T WE BLOCK MODERATORS POSTS

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Stop-Hibari Kun, Touch, School Rumble and Kimagure Orange Road, Detective Conan and Urusei Yatsura are Shonen. Where are the powerups in those?

More people should talk about Shojo aka those made for young girls and teen girls like stuff like Junji Ito things such as Tomie, Aishite Night, Banana Fish, Gakuen Alice, Magicka Knight Rayearth etc.
Where did I say that all shonen tropes appear in all shonen shows? I don't understand your point. I'm just listing typical shonen tropes I like... (And yes, I know they aren't even shonen exclusive.)

Agreed with your second point. I watch and read a lot of shojo, at least relative to other anime. There are a few posters here that mention some good shojo when they can, but it is drowned out by the shonen discussion.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Reading through the first half of this thread wondering why Slayven isn't banned yet.