• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bryehn

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa
One of the worst big name live acts I've ever seen and I'm 41 and have been to at least 300 big name shows. Completely soured me on their music in general. I gave this album a go, but it's a hard pass for me. Stiff, robotic and ultimately vapid.

Frigid Eh

Oct 28, 2017
Thought it was really good, much better than Every Open Eye but not as good as Bones.
Graffiti, Graves and Deliverance stand out to me as the non-single tracks.
Also, can't believe people don't like Miracle, my favourite Chvrches song.

C4lukin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tejas
I really like it. But the couple of singles are very Imagine Dragons.

Which I do not like.

Luckily most of the album is great, but those two Imagine Dragon songs cannot go ignored.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I liked most of the songs. Graffiti is a great start, followed by Get Out. I enjoyed Deliverance, Forever, Never Say Die, Graves, Heaven/Hell, Really Gone. Wonderland is also really good, but it's the lead in with ii that puts it over for me. God's Plan was okay but I wasn't really digging the singing on it. My Enemy im still not sold on, I just think it's bland. Miracle is a bad song. It sounds like every other millennial pop song, complete with the whoa ohs. I'm so sick of that bullshit in music. Stop being lazy and write fucking lyrics.

Best songs:
Graffiti
Get Out
Never Say Die
Graves
ii
Wonderland

Worst songs:
My Enemy
Miracle
God's Plan

Right now I'm at about a 7/10. But it could grow on me. Second album is still my favorite of the three.

Tankard

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
After listening to the singles i thought i was going to hate this album, but it's very good. Still far away from their debut, i think the singles on this one are really weak but some songs like Forever, Miracle and Really Gone hit home with me.

Deleted member 10611

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't fuck with God's Plan at all and aside from Miracle / My Enemy being kinda generic and bland (I still find myself enjoying them in spite of this for some reason), the rest of the album is fucking rad. Will be on repeat for a while.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
After a couple listens in the car, I think it's a little more consistent than Every Open Eye (which is my jumping in point with Chvrches) but it doesn't hit the high points that album did.

I can happily listen to LID all the way through and it's.....fine I guess. EOE I usually turn off after track 7, but 5 of those 7 songs are absolute bangers for me.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Martin's songs continue to be the worst. I don't have anything about him singing, but they are always such terrible songs compared to the rest of the album.

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
Listened to it all day today. A solid 7.5. maybe helps its glorious here today and the music suits sitting out in the sun

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Martin's songs continue to be the worst. I don't have anything about him singing, but they are always such terrible songs compared to the rest of the album.

His song on Bones is one of the best and tbh when he performs he's the most energetic part of the show. He brings some much needed life to the live aspect.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this album has a better identity than Every Open Eye, but then it's been a while since I listened to that one.

Also god damn do I wish that Miracle didn't have the Imagine Dragons-esque big drop and "WHOA OHH" sections. It'd be one of my favorite CHVRCHES songs if not for that.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this album has a better identity than Every Open Eye, but then it's been a while since I listened to that one.

Also god damn do I wish that Miracle didn't have the Imagine Dragons-esque big drop and "WHOA OHH" sections. It'd be one of my favorite CHVRCHES songs if not for that.

My gf makes fun of me because I mute those sections on the car and just sing what the song should have been instead haha

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chvrches is literally the only pop group I have in my personal library, despite my eclectic taste in music. Found them via Forza Horizon and recommendations in the Life is Strange community thread.

Love the new album. First one is solid all the way through. Second album has some low points but it's high points make it worth it. This new album is pretty consistent in quality. Only song I actually don't like is God's Plan.

Can't really comment on the complaints that they sold out or it sounds like Imagine Dragons. I think the only time I've actually heard imagine dragons is over the speakers in a department store. (haven't listened to the local radio stations in over 10 years, never anything interesting to listen to and sound quality is shit).

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Maybe it is them trying to find new ways to express themselves while still sounding like CHVRCHES, but I still feel the first album is the ultimate expression of them.

This doesn't feel like an evolution, but rather scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Nothing here is on the level of some of their best, like Night Sky, The Mother We Share, Tether or Gun.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
This is definitely their most poppy, arena-friendly album to date. Not that I'm against that per se, but I imagine most hardcore Chvrches fans will be, which is where the overall lukewarm reception is coming from. Three songs around the middle of the album – Miracle, Graves, Heaven/Hell – had me really itching for that skip button. Rest seems to be fine, but definitely less than I expected.

They still struggle to develop their own style into something a little more interesting. With Every Open Eye it seems like they tried, now it looks like they gave up.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
definitely is their most "red carpet ready" album. but anybody familiar with the band since it's been around knows they're more about honing their style rather than 'evolving' it... who knows maybe we'll get some weird left turn album from them someday but it's a pretty much natural evolution from where they started. perhaps more radio friendly or whatever you want to call it this go around but they haven't "sold out"

Contranova

Oct 26, 2017
NYC
I've been listening to this since it came out and they just know how to the bring the right vibe for this season. I love it!

AfterTheFall

Oct 27, 2017
Giving it a listen now. Loved the first album, wasn't too bothered by the second. See how this one pans out.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
After a first listen there are hardly any songs that stick out to me, big difference compared to their first 2 albums. It's kind of bland an unremarkable. I'm seeing them thursday at Primavera, maybe some of the new songs are better live, we'll see.

This is definitely their most poppy, arena-friendly album to date.

I feel the opposite, their other albums have songs that are way catchier than anything on Love is Dead. I remember not making it through EOE because I kept Keep you on my side on repeat.

Last edited:

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Graffitti has a nice hook. The lyrics are pretty blah and the song just doesn't go anywhere.
Get Out is just... ? Reminds me of joke song from S4 of Arrested Development. Warning sign.
Deliverance has an early minor ambience that disappears in the bridge and un-fucking-does itself in the Umbrella-ass-chorus.

Popped around the rest of the record... This is pretty garbage. This is just not for me (fan since 2012).

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
I loved their first two albums. This one is just...there. Almost nothing really stood out on my first listen. I'll give it another go though.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will have to listen to it again, but I enjoyed it. On a first listen it seems less catchy than the previous albums, but the general songwriting seems stronger on average. My girlfriend seemed to enjoy it a lot more than the previous album, I am undecided yet.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't find much to enjoy from this album, unfortunately. There are at least a few songs I like on Every Open Eye, but here it's only really Grafitti and My Enemy that's somewhat ok (even though especially the former is pretty generic when you get down to it). There's nothing even remotely close to something like this from the first album:

V_Ben

Larian Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
St Albans, UK
I love their first two records, but this one feels like a massive step back. There's none of the offbeat musical quirkiness that defined their first two albums, it feels like more of a standard pop album than ever before. So still listenable, but not...great.

My Enemy is absolutely turgid - a dirge with two wonderful singers who deserve better.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite album from them for sure. Never actually was a big fan of them until this one.

Also ironically enough my favorite songs on the album seem to be the ones the traditional CHVRCHES fans dont like. Miracle, Wonderland, etc.

Worst track is Gods Plan. It's awful

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I hate it that I dont know how to pronounce Chvrches in a way that Google Home can understand what I want. Listened to it maybe 3 or 4 times and it was good in general, but I can't really remember a song that I really enjoyed.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
It is. I got mine in today too. It's advertised on the packaging as clear blue vinyl. It should have been Clearest Blue lol.
Huh, the one I got at the store is just clear. Didn't know there were different versions.

While I was there I found limited editions of the previous two though, which was unexpected and cool. Bones of what you Believe is on blue and Every Open Eye is on pink. I'll try to grab some pictures later.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Fun album. Different from their debut and even EOE but enjoyable nonetheless. can't wait to see them live

Resetta Stone

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing, Arizona
This is definitely their most poppy, arena-friendly album to date. Not that I'm against that per se, but I imagine most hardcore Chvrches fans will be, which is where the overall lukewarm reception is coming from. Three songs around the middle of the album – Miracle, Graves, Heaven/Hell – had me really itching for that skip button. Rest seems to be fine, but definitely less than I expected.

They still struggle to develop their own style into something a little more interesting. With Every Open Eye it seems like they tried, now it looks like they gave up.

That's pretty apt. It does seem to be a more somber, radio-friendly album. EOE had some intense tracks and production.