• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrsDvl

Oct 25, 2017
I can not wait to be off work so I can watch this tonight. Feels like forever when this got announced. So glad it's finally here!

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
What was the one decision?

They chose to show Charles Lee Ray cast the spell to possess the doll at the start of the movie.

There was never a doubt that Chucky was possessed, but the adult characters all suspect Andy. They might have put some doubt in the viewers mind before the reveal if they didn't show the opening scene.

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the 2019 movie 🤷‍♂️

Never was much into this series, freaked me out, but it's cool that it's one of the few long running horror series still involving the original creator and still putting out interesting content and sequels that seem to mostly work.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Kind of never trust RT score, but saw it's surprisingly solid aggregate on Metacritic today(of course only 8 reviews, but still). Which has me intrigued.

Sucks you can't really access it without a cable sub.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's really interesting how seemingly all horror franchises have this thing, where the first one is genuinely good or at least interesting and then you can just see the them fall off a cliff in quality with each sequel. So the praise in the op about consistent creativity really perked my ears.

it really helps that Mancini (the original creator) has written all the scripts for the 7 main series movies and has overseen the show totally. I can't really think of another western franchise (or maybe any franchise) that's had a singular evolving vision for 30 years now. And like the bulk of the movies are pretty good to great.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Who hurt you? Was it Brad Dourif?
images

I actually did like the reboot for what it was. Different vibe entirely

Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching on regular USA channel and the "Fuck" caught me off guard. Most of this show caught me off guard. I didn't expect any of this on TV.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
I'm hoping it's successful enough to get more seasons if that's what Don wants. I feel that's going be tricky to pull off though, with this being a tv series on cable and not streaming while simultaneously standing as the eighth installment of a long running franchise, which isn't the easiest thing to entice new viewers. Granted, most of the focus seems to be on Jake and the other new characters with the legacy characters being phased in eventually. It's risky though, since Don had a good thing going with the DTV approach from the last two.

Whatever happens, I bet this is going to be a blast to watch. The OP ain't lying when they say it's the most consistent long running horror franchise.

And yes, you have alumni from Hannibal and Twin Peaks working on this show!

I don't have cable, so hopefully it shows up on the Syfy app. I've got to support the show one way or another.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Is it going to even get put on Peacock? It's a friggin NBC Universl show. It's not listed anywhere on Peacock or upcoming for them

Oct 27, 2017
I watch wrestling in this timeslot on a Friday and about now I start getting tired. But this Chucky show has kept me up and into it the whole way through. I'm not tired at all.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Don't know if I'd call the 2019 remake as "notably very poor". It reviewed better than Child's Play 2, 3, Bride and Seed, and ended up being an OK slasher film, regardless of the shameful cash grab that it ended up being.

I'd say the remake is better that Child's Play 3 and Seed, but is a bit inconsistent. The climax is so lackluster that if sours the whole thing, but before that there are some great bits which are much in the way of the film shown within a film, Texas Chainsaw 2. There's some really good macabre flavored comedy in there, and it's presented to appeal to a wide audience (which it didn't apparently didn't appeal enough to thankfully).

I feel bad for the cast and crew along with the writers and director. They were just making a movie, and got caught in the crossfire because Chucky fans were pissed. They were right to be pissed as well since the whole reason it existed was greed like you mentioned. Don gave an interview where he revealed how the movie's existence almost destroyed his franchise. If it had been successful the show probably wouldn't have happened due to market saturation and fan confusion (there's still a bit confusion for many who don't realize what this is a sequel to). Which would have been extra shitty since plans for the show were revealed before the remake was. Funny how they both focus on Chucky interacting with a group of teens, and a lower class teen boy.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know this was airing and I turned on YouTube tv and caught the scene with him and his dad in the living room. Have to watch the rerun of it

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching on regular USA channel and the "Fuck" caught me off guard. Most of this show caught me off guard. I didn't expect any of this on TV.
USA seem to be able to it. At least the evening shows.
With that I'm Assuming violence won't even be blocked.

It's on Syfy channel too I wonder if they allow the language as well

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Curse and the reboot are absolutely excellent, so I have high expectations for the show. That being said, I thought Cult was a letdown so that was my biggest concern before the show started... outside of the whole reboot situation

Glad to hear that people are enjoying it

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
The uncensored nature elevates this a significant amount. This could have felt like some stock CW show. Letting Brad Dourif run his mouth and the ability to show gruesome deaths is mandatory.

I just learned this existed about an hour ago, but now I'm in

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Don't fuck with the Chuck!

That was a lot better than I was expecting and I was already expecting to love it.

Oct 27, 2017
There's no way Junior isn't closeted right? I totally call Junior being some crazy dude who refuses to admit he's gay and does some serial killer shit later on. Also I'm positive Junior likes Devon way more than just a friend. He just has that look like he's going to be the main villain of the show. Why does Chucky feel like a good guy? I don't want to root for Chucky lol

A_Jazzy_Book

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that hour went fast. Solid start IMO, really enjoyed that! Super glad they're not censoring the little shit. Ain't Chucky without it.

Only thing I was really worried about based on the trailers was the expressiveness of the doll/puppet. Based on the preview after tonight's episode, seems there will be no shortage of slasher smiles. Looking forward to more!

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
I loves me all this Chucky stuff, but why do we need to shit on the 2019 remake? It's a genuinely fun take on the story that eschews closer to Mancini's original Child's Play script than the first Child's Play. It barely broke even so there's next-to-no chance for a sequel, so it's not like it'll ever overtake what Mancini's doing. Both the original Chucky and the cash grab remake can exist and be good for different reasons.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I loves me all this Chucky stuff, but why do we need to shit on the 2019 remake? It's a genuinely fun take on the story that eschews closer to Mancini's original Child's Play script than the first Child's Play. It barely broke even so there's next-to-no chance for a sequel, so it's not like it'll ever overtake what Mancini's doing. Both the original Chucky and the cash grab remake can exist and be good for different reasons.
I enjoyed the reboot safe in the knowledge that it wasn't getting in the way of the main franchise continuing. I don't think enough people understood that this was more of a Never Say Never Again situation than a thing where the reboot was going to upend the main continuity. I think that's where some of the misplaced resentment comes from.

But that said, Mancini was very hurt that they didn't try to involve him so a lot of fans responded negatively to it because of that which is fair enough I'd say.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed the reboot safe in the knowledge that it wasn't getting in the way of the main franchise continuing. I don't think enough people understood that this was more of a Never Say Never Again situation than a thing where the reboot was going to upend the main continuity. I think that's where some of the misplaced resentment comes from.

But that said, Mancini was very hurt that they didn't try to involve him so a lot of fans responded negatively to it because of that which is fair enough I'd say.

They offered him a producer's credit, which he passed on since he was still making his Chucky series.

onhold4u

Oct 29, 2017
Iowa
They offered him a producer's credit, which he passed on since he was still making his Chucky series.
It was in name only. Though I'm not sure "very hurt" is the right way to describe his feelings.
While Kirschner and Mancini had the ability to sequelize the original Child's Play movie, UA maintained the right to remake Tom Holland's original movie. With Mancini's Chucky series no longer a presence in cinemas, the company decided to do just that through its Orion Pictures subsidiary. UA also approached Kirschner and Mancini to see if they would come on board as executive producers. The pair declined.

"They came to us and asked us to have this nominal involvement in what they were doing after we had just made two movies that had done extremely well," says Mancini. "So, it's hard not to feel a little insulted by that."

Status
Not open for further replies.