• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else think Nintendo should buy Chucklefish?

Between Stardew Valley, Wargroove and this - they are a really promising indie publisher!

Yes, let's have a company buy them so they are only exclusive to one platform that's surely a win for consumers...

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
This'll probably come out before Bamco ever releases that Little Witch Academia game too.
Looks rad.

Donkeykwon

Oct 30, 2017
I'm curious to see what is ResetEra's impression of Starbound was.

Just did a quick wikipedia search on Chucklefish's CV since a lot of people correctly pointed out that they did not actually develop Stardew Valley. It looks like Chucklefish has only 1 released game so far, Starbound, and one coming around the corner, Wargroove.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
This looks pretty rad. I'm down. Slightly off topic question: does Chucklefish own Stardew Valley as an IP or is it owned by the dude who made it?

Btw I always loved the name Chucklefish. :3

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unlike Hogwarts, good

Just did a quick wikipedia search on Chucklefish's CV since a lot of people correctly pointed out that they did not actually develop Stardew Valley. It looks like Chucklefish has only 1 released game so far, Starbound, and one coming around the corner, Wargroove.
Starbound is a very fun game imo

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada

Starbound was fun. Pretty much like Terraria, but in space. People a lot more creative than I could ever be probably enjoyed it more than I did. I remember it being in early access for years.

Donkeykwon

Oct 30, 2017
Starbound was fun. Pretty much like Terraria, but in space. People a lot more creative than I could ever be probably enjoyed it more than I did. I remember it being in early access for years.
Hmmm. I'm worried about the early access part. I'd hate to wait 2-3 years of early access before it gets ported to the Switch or PS4.

I'm a console gamer but have been teetering on buying a new laptop with an eGPU (a desktop wouldn't work with my living situation) and this might push me over the edge...

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm. I'm worried about the early access part. I'd hate to wait 2-3 years of early access before it gets ported to the Switch or PS4.

I'm a console gamer but have been teetering on buying a new laptop with an eGPU (a desktop wouldn't work with my living situation) and this might push me over the edge...
So i backed their initial game before it was ever released and got it a year later. Me and my friend group played all through out the early access. Chucklefish was really great because they would incorporate popular mods into the update cycles while also adding a lot of content. The mechs for example are in the full game but we're a really popular mod at first. They do early access right imo

Donkeykwon

Oct 30, 2017
So i backed their initial game before it was ever released and got it a year later. Me and my friend group played all through out the early access. Chucklefish was really great because they would incorporate popular mods into the update cycles while also adding a lot of content. The mechs for example are in the full game but we're a really popular mod at first. They do early access right imo
Dammit... I'm probably going to have to bite the PC bullet then.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I'll gladly accept my invitation to Witchbrook school of witchcraft and wizardry. Witch me up, witches.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, they aren't the same developers of Stardew Valley?
I haven't actually played SV (mostly because the art was pretty bad) but was really interested in it because people really seem to like it.
This game has much better art and a much more interesting setting. I really hope it turns out great.

Also, of all the things they take inspiration from, I'm really interested is seeing what they take from Tiffany Aching. Will there be a granny weatherwax type character? The Wee Free Men? Or is it just the feel of Tiffany Aching's stories.

Samimista

Oct 25, 2017
That's a cute name, and I'm absolutely stoked to play this. Looks adorable with the art style.

Last edited:

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Well, those inspirations sure are a list of my favorite things. Really looking forward to this.

The Old Kingdom and Tiffany Aching books both had some fairly dark content for YA books. I wonder if that will be reflected here.

ZiZ - Chucklefish just publishes SV - it is mostly a one-man show from ConcernedApe - but they have been deep in the guts of the game porting it and adding multiplayer.

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the name Spellbound due to its relation to Starbound.

I hope it releases a little quicker than Starbound did though. The game turned out amazing, but I'm pretty sure I aged a thousand years by the time it came out of Early Access. Not to mention it was announced for consoles forever ago as well and I haven't heard anything about that since then, hahahaha.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
you name drop terry pratchett you have my attention

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I can't imagine a game about sorcery wouldn't have some kind of indepth combat, right? That would be amazing if it were like Stardew Valley with the breadth of gameplay options but a deeper focus on the Mines/combat progression.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Looks fan-freaking-tastic. Gonna wait for this to hit the Switch.

Whom am i kidding, gonna double dip when it finally hits the switch...

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Supernorn

Game Developer @ Chucklefish
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
London
So just to temper expectations, Witchbrook is still quite a way off, but we wanted to get the real name out there.

Oct 25, 2017
"hopefully calm any fears people have of this being little more than Potter without the licence."

Heck, I'd LOVE it to be Harry Potter without the license, and I think there's a fair-sized audience for that.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
The NPCs can dump us. That could be pretty interesting.

"I brought you wolfsbane every morning until your heart level was at max! Was that all a lie to you?!"

Last edited:

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Low-key game I'm most looking forward to. That artwork looks absolutely gorgeous and the more it takes from Stardew Valley the better in my opinion.

I also like how they are making the world so it dosen't cater to the player but giving everyone else their own things to do. Should make it feel less artificial and more alive.

Anyone else think Nintendo should buy Chucklefish?

Between Stardew Valley, Wargroove and this - they are a really promising indie publisher!
No. Just no. Why would you want such a promising indie publisher to be acquired? Let indies be indies.

Last edited:

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Chucklefish is so good at acquiring good games as a publisher/devs.
Stardew is great. Can't believe this was a one-man project. Good pickup for Chucklefish, and good for Eric, millionaire overnight.
Wargroove looks to be great with its Advance Wars gameplay as well.
And now this Witch Academy game?

Amazing time for Chucklefish.

Wait, they aren't the same developers of Stardew Valley?

Nope. Chucklefish is the publisher.
Believe it or not, ConcernedApe(Eric Barone) by himself created it.
Yes, one dev, no team.

Here's the article:
http://www.vulture.com/2016/03/first-time-developer-made-stardew-valley.html

Dude became a millionaire overnight basically.
550k within 2 weeks of sales.

Last edited:

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
...taking inspiration from Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching series, Garth Nix's Old Kingdom Series, Studio Ghibli animations...

Well those are all things I love. As is HP.

Plus a friend of mine is working on it.

Probably gonna have to buy this... Hoping for switch version though.