• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since no Harry Potter RPG, this will have to do.

This looks amazing and that art style is just gorgeous.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to know how far along the game is, it sounds fantastic and as others have said it seems pretty much like the Hogwarts RPG we never got. I first herd about the game sometime like mid last year so I'm hoping its pretty far along at this point.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Im so excited. I dont understand how a huge IP like Harry Potter cant make games like this, so many fans fantasize about role playing these kind of stories...including me

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a major gaming site proclaim "It's the next game by the Stardew valley developers" and I was kind of confused.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
I'm so stoked for this, but please please please don't let this be made by people who like harry potter and therefor put harry potter references/logic to the concept of witchcraft and schools for them.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
If I could throw money at them to get a same day Switch release... I would! Not sure I'll be able to hold off buying in PC as soon as it's available.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so stoked for this, but please please please don't let this be made by people who like harry potter and therefor put harry potter references/logic to the concept of witchcraft and schools for them.
What the fuck does liking Harry Potter need to do with necessarily putting references lmao. Fun Easter eggs seem like something to please people. If you dislike the property that just seems like a "no fun allowed". Regardless in the era Q&A they answered my question that at least a part of wanting to create this game was indeed due to the frustration of properties like Harry Potter not having a proper game of magic school.

There is very likely a bigger demand for them to follow a house system similar to Harry Potter than to completely avoid anything reminiscent considering the popularity though.

Kirie

Oct 25, 2017
From the article linked in the OP:
"Spellbound is our exploration of that premise, but the magical world we're creating is very unlike Hogwarts. Magic in this world is very practical, taking inspiration from Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching series, Garth Nix's Old Kingdom Series, Studio Ghibli animations, and even the cartoon show Steven Universe at times." That's quite a mixture of inspirations, and should hopefully calm any fears people have of this being little more than Potter without the licence.

Probably don't have to worry about that :)

bdwnfn99

Oct 25, 2017
Serious Mother 3/Mario & Luigi art style vibes, and that's a great thing. Looking forward to seeing more from this!

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
This will sell like crazy. The formula is just too perfect. I'll bet if they do early digital preorders, it goes through the roof

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Definitely interested in this. Love the art and premise sounds very very enticing. I really like that they specifically point out they aren't trying to craft a world that caters to us, but rather one that has its own stuff going on and we get to step into it.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Are there any gameplay details? Because I don't know what kind of game this is :P Something sim-like? Like you would take social elements from Stardew Valley and throw them into Hogwarts? Will there be actual magic to use?

Oct 25, 2017
It looks soooooo good. Chucklefish is just a publisher though and ConcernedApe is not involved right? Who's actually making this and what's their track record like ?

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
What the fuck does liking Harry Potter need to do with necessarily putting references lmao. Fun Easter eggs seem like something to please people. If you dislike the property that just seems like a "no fun allowed". Regardless in the era Q&A they answered my question that at least a part of wanting to create this game was indeed due to the frustration of properties like Harry Potter not having a proper game of magic school.

There is very likely a bigger demand for them to follow a house system similar to Harry Potter than to completely avoid anything reminiscent considering the popularity though.
I should clarify I don't care if people like HP, it's just that as someone who doesn't like it I've grown tired of every witches and wizards magic thing being associated with or compared to HP in some form.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
Prefer original name but I understand it could conflict with that other game, regardless it has me super hyped and I will purchase for Switch day 0.

Supernorn

Game Developer @ Chucklefish
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
London
It looks soooooo good. Chucklefish is just a publisher though and ConcernedApe is not involved right? Who's actually making this and what's their track record like ?

Hey, we're a developer first! We made Starbound and are currently developing the upcoming Wargroove!

Also we're developing the multiplayer for stardew valley in-house.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
School life is just as important as magic however; a lot of time will be spent meeting and befriending the varied cast of characters, taking on quests, awkward attempts at dating and a host of side activities."

I'll take that challenge.

24/7 magical study at all costs. 20 INT. 0 CHA. Let's do this.

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
Are there famaliars in the game? I'd love to have a magical frog familiar following me around.

I love the Terry Pratchett influence. I hope that type of humor is spread through out the game.

Klean

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Looks amazing. I'll wait for the Switch version.

Stardew is still always in like the top 3 of digital sales on Switch. It must be doing amazing.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Count me in too on Switch. Took me awhile to get into SV but now it's approaching my most played game on Switch (Puyo Puyo Tetris holds the title).

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought I was over pixel art...

I'm not over pixel art. I love the way this game looks.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been incredibly excited for this game since I first heard the concept, and as a committed Hitchcockian, I'm glad to see the new title. I know this doesn't affect many of those in the video game demographic, and overlaps do happen, but for me calling it Spellbound was as weird as calling a falling-block game Vertigo or a crappy Marvel all-stars flick The Avengers.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else think Nintendo should buy Chucklefish?

Between Stardew Valley, Wargroove and this - they are a really promising indie publisher!