• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash

Love the new name and I can't wait to play it, the pixel art is gorgeous.

Edit: Adding some info about the game

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/spellbound-developer-chucklefish-interview

"Spellbound is our exploration of that premise, but the magical world we're creating is very unlike Hogwarts. Magic in this world is very practical, taking inspiration from Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching series, Garth Nix's Old Kingdom Series, Studio Ghibli animations, and even the cartoon show Steven Universe at times." That's quite a mixture of inspirations, and should hopefully calm any fears people have of this being little more than Potter without the licence.

"The game revolves around your path through school, the relationships you build, and your mastery of the several schools of magic at your disposal," Brice explains. "Players should expect to build up their magical proficiency by undertaking school projects. This might have them growing magical crops and creatures in herbology or taking on the denizens of the forest in elemental magic. School life is just as important as magic however; a lot of time will be spent meeting and befriending the varied cast of characters, taking on quests, awkward attempts at dating and a host of side activities."

Relationships were a key component of Stardew Valley, and Brice claims that they'll be one of the most surprising elements of Spellbound. "We're expecting players to be a little shocked the first time they get dumped," he says. "We're attempting to portray a gameworld in which the characters have their own motivations and desires. We want the player to feel as if they're part of an autonomous world rather than a world that revolves around their desires."

spellbound-screenshot-stairs.jpg

Last edited:

Rise2Ragnarok

Oct 28, 2017
Really looking forward to this. Was pleasantly surprised with Stardew Valley and the premise for this one seems neat too. Like the name as well!

Oct 25, 2017
Figured they'd have to change it. Spellbound was already another game by a different dev.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
So with a name like Witchbrook, are male students called Witchers? (and 2000th post, yay)

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
interesting. I am really keen to understand how the game works mechanically and if it's similar to stardew valley. I'm guessing you will be practicing magic tricks each day and collecting / growing ingredients for spells?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Did they ever decided on the character portrait styles? I'm really liking the pixel art it's a notable step above Stardew Valley.

Oct 27, 2017
It's the Hogwarts RPG we never got. It looks FANTASTIC. The question is whether to jump on the PC version as soon as it releases or wait in case there's a Switch version eventually

Supernorn

Game Developer @ Chucklefish
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
London
Glad you guys are excited! Been working on it for about a year now and it's so good to officially reveal the name!

lilojigsaw

Chicken Chaser
Mar 1, 2018
Do we know what systems this will be playable on yet? First time i have seen this and it looks neat.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for the Switch version. Though I'm guessing that'll be a Q4 2018/2019 release at best.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if they took stuff from Stardew Valley (I know, different devs but same publisher), I'll be super happy. I am so excited for this game!

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Conceptually it's extremely exciting, but it will live or die by the writing.

Let's hope.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks and sounds neat, continuing to keep an eye on this.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Conceptually it's extremely exciting, but it will live or die by the writing.

Let's hope.

I am very optimistic--I feel like you don't make a game like this unless you have a lot of talented writers/concepts in mind. This is low-key one of my most anticipated games, I feel like it has so much potential.

Last edited:

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
This has my interest. Stardew valley but with magic.

The more dinamic relationships also intrigue me.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
This sounds dope. Looks dope too, and I have faith in the Stardew people to deliver something like this.

Oct 26, 2017
This strikes me as a "Snuggle up under a blanket with some munchies and loose an entire evening to" kind of game.
I have high hopes for this.