• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the necrobump (whew, almost a full year) but this is the only Witchbrook thread on Reset and there's a tiny bit of news on what they're aiming for with the game. It's also a good opportunity to give some feedback at a crucial point in development (Tiy is the head of Chucklefish, fyi);

gwXwDbb.png

spY1spr.png

YSHblp7.png

https://twitter.com/Tiyuri/status/1116463021042409473

Plus, for people who hadn't heard of the game before, here's a good opportunity to find out. This is, at least in theory, Stardew Valley meets Harry Potter. Here's more details / screenshots and a video. Keep in mind this is still early in development and subject to change;

Edit: Oh right, we also had a Q&A with Chucklefish here on ResetEra, though it's not exclusively about this game; https://www.resetera.com/threads/q-...oove-starbound-stardew-valley-and-more.22781/

Last edited:

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I would love it if magic were more like something you have to study, but it definitely becomes more niche when you make it entirely based on physical drawing people make and keep. Gotta strike that balance between fun and work.

Jan 2, 2018
Sorry for the necrobump (whew, almost a full year) but this is the only Witchbrook thread on Reset and there's a tiny bit of news on what they're aiming for with the game. It's also a good opportunity to give some feedback at a crucial point in development (Tiy is the head of Chucklefish, fyi);

gwXwDbb.png

spY1spr.png

YSHblp7.png

Plus, for people who hadn't heard of the game before, here's a good opportunity to find out. This is, at least in theory, Stardew Valley meets Harry Potter. Here's more details / screenshots and a video. Keep in mind this is still early in development and subject to change;

Edit: Oh right, we also had a Q&A with Chucklefish here on ResetEra, though it's not exclusively about this game; https://www.resetera.com/threads/q-...oove-starbound-stardew-valley-and-more.22781/

Thank you for the bump! I really like the idea and left my positve feedback on Twitter.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sounds like an interesting idea, but at the same time, being too reliant on it could be an unnecessary barrier for some folks

Deleted member 3082

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like this game is 2-3 years off. I'm very much looking forward to the finished product.

According to a post by Supernorn on the first page, it's been in development for about two years (since it was a year ago when the comment was made);
Glad you guys are excited! Been working on it for about a year now and it's so good to officially reveal the name!

But yeah, definitely not going to be released any time soon.

I would love it if magic were more like something you have to study, but it definitely becomes more niche when you make it entirely based on physical drawing people make and keep. Gotta strike that balance between fun and work.

A lot of people make their own "guide books" for Stardew Valley (in fact, the subreddit is full of people sharing theirs), just having a notebook nearby for various villager likes / dislikes, when to plant stuff, etc. It's not necessary, of course, but for some people it adds to the experience.

I look at it this way; for people who want to have a notebook for their Witchbrook playthru that option is there, and for those who don't there's obviously going to be a wiki. I would usually say that information and stuff should be kept in the game, but for "lifestyle sims" like this where half the fun is learning the ins and outs of the NPCs and such, I'm kind of okay with it.

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you are so reliant on outside notes for discovery and experimentation, you could probably try to incorporate a way to do most of the legwork in-game. Cheat cards, recipe books, scrap books or something. Hard to say without more specifics.

Oct 28, 2017
Really looking forward to this one. Love the idea of getting a physical notebook dedicated to it, full of cool stuff by the end of the game. That has a really retro feeling for people (like myself) who grew up playing tabletop games and old school RPGs.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Seeing this thread today was the first time I had heard of the game and it seemed like it would be something I would be interested in. The proposed system, however, would be a major turn off for me. I'm not opposed to jotting down the occasional note in a game to help me remember something but this would seem to take it another step further and make it less fun for me personally.

Also, Chucklefish has had a lot of success with Switch games so far. If a Switch port is in mind for this game it would be fairly impractical for most people to maintain a notebook and play the game in handheld mode.

Deleted member 3082

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you are so reliant on outside notes for discovery and experimentation, you could probably try to incorporate a way to do most of the legwork in-game. Cheat cards, recipe books, scrap books or something. Hard to say without more specifics.

That's one of the reasons I bumped the thread, so people can give feedback like this directly.

Really looking forward to this one. Love the idea of getting a physical notebook dedicated to it, full of cool stuff by the end of the game. That has a really retro feeling for people (like myself) who grew up playing tabletop games and old school RPGs.

Absolutely. One of my most cherished possessions are the maps my dad and I made on graph paper when we were exploring old RPGs. I adore stuff like this.

Seeing this thread today was the first time I had heard of the game and it seemed like it would be something I would be interested in. The proposed system, however, would be a major turn off for me. I'm not opposed to jotting down the occasional note in a game to help me remember something but this would seem to take it another step further and make it less fun for me personally.

Also, Chucklefish has had a lot of success with Switch games so far. If a Switch port is in mind for this game it would be fairly impractical for most people to maintain a notebook and play the game in handheld mode.

I don't think it's the kind of situation where you'll need to sit with a book open in front of you at all times that you're constantly consulting, but more along the lines of what you're describing; the occasional note (this is largely what Stardew Valley was like, keeping track of villager likes / dislikes and such). Worst case scenario it's a trip to a wiki, which I dislike on principle but for complex games like this, I get it.

Also, fwiw, Tiy has said their goal is to target Switch going forward, so a simultaneous release is very likely, like what they did with Wargroove.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017

gwXwDbb.png

spY1spr.png

YSHblp7.png

I would go for that. That sounds cool for me. I already take handwritten notes when playing some RPGs, such as Etrian Odyssey.

For people other than me though, I can see requiring handwritten notes to limit the appeal of the game. I think it would be fine if they streamlined it to the point where you could take most of the required notes within the game itself? Again, I'm thinking of Etrian Odyssey, where you draw your own maps within the game.

If they go the handwritten notes route, I could see fans taking it upon themselves to create a fansite where you can take notes digitally. Maybe they could get ahead of that and make an official one.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds amazing, the idea that I would finish the game with my own little grimoire is so great. Unfortunately I don't think that would be the reaction from the average person.

edit: And, also unfortunately, I think this is the kind of thing that you need to go all-in on, I can't see a way that you could streamline it without losing what is so appealing about the idea.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I don't think it's the kind of situation where you'll need to sit with a book open in front of you at all times that you're constantly consulting, but more along the lines of what you're describing; the occasional note (this is largely what Stardew Valley was like, keeping track of villager likes / dislikes and such). Worst case scenario it's a trip to a wiki, which I dislike on principle but for complex games like this, I get it.

Also, fwiw, Tiy has said their goal is to target Switch going forward, so a simultaneous release is very likely, like what they did with Wargroove.

I think it probably matters how much it effects the gameplay (which just by reading his tweets seems like he hasn't figured out yet). If it's just something for flavor the sure go for it. If it's something where if my gameplay is affected because of incomplete or lack of notes then that would be an issue in my book.

I do like the idea of maintaining a spell book but maybe keep it in game. It could add some nice flavor and depending how the system is setup allow for some nice replayability options.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
SOLD BY TIFFANY ACHING AND OLD KINGDOM MAGIC

Much better inspiration than Harry Potter.

I know they're inspired by that too. I'm just being petty.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Disliked note taking in actual school and would dislike it even more if a game made me do it. Having my own fake spell book at the end of the game sounds tedious and completely unappealing. Making the systems so complicated that you require external tools like a notebook sounds like a really bad time to me personally.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds cool though possibly tricky to implement.

Didn't Ni no Kuni on the DS work a little like this on that it came with the the actual spellbook you needed to reference? I got a copy with the special edition they did for PS3 but I believe that was what it was for originally.

Crow Pudding

Nov 12, 2017
I would love to have an in-game Grimoire, that somewhat you can interact.

I would define the magic in the game with some sort of runes, where everyone has some kind of effect, and have interactions between them so some runes are complementary to others and other runes are opposite. For example, if you want to do a water jet, you need the rune to summon ( or condense) water, another to give the form of the jet, another to give the info on power, distance, thickness, etc, but i you add a fire rune then it turns into a steam jet.

During the adventure you must find all these runes and add to the grimoire, and then study their effects and combine them to do this kind of magic arts.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
the idea of making my own magic grimoire - but in a cute school notes-y sorta way - actually does sound pretty cool, but i have awful handwriting and no artistic ability whatsoever, so i know it'd end up looking pretty naff. which... idk, if the point is to give us the chance to fall in love with our own little scrapbooks, my abiding hatred for everything i handwrite would make that difficult for me, personally.

it IS a super cool idea, and if the devs are really struck by it they should do it - honestly, i'm enthralled enough by the concept of the game to give it a go regardless - but... i dunno, i'd love it if they could find some way to capture that feeling of building your own little magic notebook for people like me who aren't gonna be invested in their own physical notes on account of them looking like poop. i realise that's much easier said than done, though.

i love the art style they're going going for, regardless. 'specially the character portraits.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Love the idea but I'll probably hate having to have a notebook with me everytime I want to play this on switch.

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017

gwXwDbb.png

spY1spr.png

YSHblp7.png

Intrigued by this. Would a system like this allow students to "learn" outside of class?

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Chucklefish is among my favourite developers. Looking forward to whenever this hits storefronts.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
I actually like the idea! As long as they warn people upfront that it'll be needed - some games ae fairly opaque about whether passwords etc will be recorded for you.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
I would go for that. That sounds cool for me. I already take handwritten notes when playing some RPGs, such as Etrian Odyssey.

For people other than me though, I can see requiring handwritten notes to limit the appeal of the game. I think it would be fine if they streamlined it to the point where you could take most of the required notes within the game itself? Again, I'm thinking of Etrian Odyssey, where you draw your own maps within the game.

If they go the handwritten notes route, I could see fans taking it upon themselves to create a fansite where you can take notes digitally. Maybe they could get ahead of that and make an official one.

The handwritten part should be an option (if turned off the game records it in a notebook or something, which you can look at any time).

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
I'd rather not have to rely on external notes. Though I'd be the type to just check the internet than with stuff down myself anyways.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fun idea, though I don't know how long it would stay "fun." An in-game grimoire where you could record your own notes would probably work as well so people don't have to worry about a physical notebook.

Either way, I love the idea of more ritual/recipe based magic versus hitting a hotkey. This game is so up my alley - I just wish it was closer to release.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I LOVE the idea, remind me of Legend of Grimrock/Etrian odyssey where you have to draw the map yourself