• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SNES vs. DS translation?

• SNES

Votes: 74 39.4%
  • DS

Votes: 114 60.6%

• Total voters

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I've only ever played Chrono Trigger on the DS. I liked it a lot, but I don't know if I said I would love it. I've seen people gush over the game and swear up and down it has the best characters/story of any JRPG they've played, and then I realized, maybe it's because they played the SNES version.

Is the SNES translation worth a spin if I'm only familiar with the DS version? Or will it probably not improve my opinion significantly?

Last edited:

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I thought people considered the DS version the definitive one to play. I don't think playing the SNES version will change your opinion of the game but I could be wrong.

Just don't play the Playstation version.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The DS version is the definitive version of the game, IMO. If you weren't in love with it, a "colourful" localization isn't going to change that.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
The SNES translation is more memorable for me (since I played it like 10 times as opposed to 1), but I don't remember it being super different enough to make your experience any better/worse than it should have been on the DS.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I don't think people gush over chrono trigger for that reason

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
The SNES version is superior. The newer translation is similar and presumably more accurate to the original Japanese but it is ultimately soulless.

The black wind begins to blow... >>>>>> The bitter black wind begins to howl.

Magus in particular loses so much of his flavor in the new translation.

Oct 27, 2017
Chrono Trigger is worth a play through because it remains one of the best paced games in the genre. Literally no fat. The story and characters were great but I don't tbink the SNES version will magically make you fall in love with them if you weren't too hot on the DS version.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The SNES one is colorful, but the DS one is more accurate (and also doesn't have the confusing vagueness of a few lines that got lost in translation).

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
The SNES version is superior. The newer translation is similar and presumably more accurate to the original Japanese but it is ultimately soulless.

The SNES version also has the usual Nintendo censorship from that time period. Like "mystics" instead of "demons" for instance

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
The DS version is definitive IMO. Even if it weren't, a slightly different localization wouldn't transform your like into love. You just don't have the same nostalgia for it that many do (which isn't saying that the love for it is all nostalgia, mind).

It's less that Chrono Trigger has the "best story/characters of any JRPG," because it's far from having either, but it was a culmination of JRPG evolution on the SNES — a period many grew up in — and did everything it did charmingly, competently, and briskly, owing to the influence of the various great JRPG developers collaborating on it.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Like Ted Woolsey's other translations, his work on the SNES version of Chrono Trigger was way better than the vast majority of games that came out around that time. However, back then there were a ton of restrictions with content, character count, and time that limited it, restrictions that aren't really much of an issue for translators these days. The DS translation is just better because of that.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Trigger excels, at least for me, for it's charming cast of characters, wonderful and varied visual style, fast paced and interesting combat system, amazing soundtrack, and, perhaps most importantly, it's pacing. I've not played the SNES and DS versions close enough together to comment on their translation differences, but I don't remember one being much of a standout from the other.

CT just felt like such a fresh take on RPG's and pushed them quite a bit forward when it released. It still may have been quite early for the genre, but for me few games have come close to matching the experience it offered, but it has aged. I think very well for a game of it's vintage, and it's certainly still a classic, but it's not going to make the same impact on everyone like it once did.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SGxHZg8.png

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the DS one but I like the SNES one too for different reasons, especially with phrases like "Let's blow this joint!".

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SNES translation vs. DS translation of CT is like the Waley translation vs. Tyler translation of Tale of Genji, the latter is vastly more accurate and technically superior but I think there's more color and personality in the original but objectively less accurate translation. For that reason I do prefer the SNES translation despite its issues, and I also prefer the SNES game overall because (1) I find the font in the DS version too hard to read, (2) I think CT's sweeping adventurous vibe works better on the big screen than on a portable, and (3) the enhancements in the DS version really aren't all that significant, and in fact the new added content is the worst part of the game if you ask me.

Last edited:

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017

The latter sounds much more flavorful to me

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I've only ever played Chrono Trigger on the DS. I liked it a lot, but I don't know if I said I would love it. I've seen people gush over the game and swear up and down it has the best characters/story of any JRPG they've played, and then I realized, maybe it's because they played the SNES version.

Is the SNES translation worth a spin if I'm only familiar with the DS version? Or will it probably not improve my opinion significantly?
As long as you don't play the PS1 or mobile version, you'll be happy, it won't change much your opinion.

The Steam version has been fixed and is arguably the best version now too btw! DS was the best version until all those fixes imo.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
SNES translation vs. DS translation of CT is like the Waley translation vs. Tyler translation of Tales of Genji, the latter is vastly more accurate and technically superior but I think there's more color and personality in the original but objectively less accurate translation. For that reason I do prefer the SNES translation despite its issues, and I also prefer the SNES game overall because (1) I find the font in the DS version too hard to read, (2) I think CT's sweeping adventurous vibe works better on the big screen than on a portable, and (3) the enhancements in the DS version really aren't all that significant, and in fact the new added content is the worst part of the game if you ask me.
Holy shit, I appreciate this reference!

I studied the Tyler translation of Genji in college and I really love it. I have no familiarity with the Waley translation, but it's such a dense story that requires a ton of cultural context to properly understand that I can see why some would prefer the more colorful version.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The SNES version has more heart. The DS version is cold, generic and honestly comes off as a bit too try hard at points.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Uh...no. The game is EXTREMELY basic in storyline and gameplay by modern standards. The novelty of the time travel mechanic was...something in the 90s but you won't find any stellar examples of plot or dialogue somehow hiding in the SNES translation.

Any Alexander O. Smith translated game (FFXII/VS) is so far past CT in the writing department it's not even worth debating.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, I appreciate this reference!

I studied the Tyler translation of Genji in college and I really love it. I have no familiarity with the Waley translation, but it's such a dense story that requires a ton of cultural context to properly understand that I can see why some would prefer the more colorful version.
Awesome, I'm always happy to hear from others who have read this classic :D I think in an academic setting the Tyler translation makes the most sense for sure. The translation is faithful, it's unabridged, and the footnotes are really useful. Waley's translation takes a lot more artistic license but there are some passages that are truly beautiful and memorable English prose in its own right. If you ever re-read it I recommend checking out Waley especially since you're already familiar with the source material.

EDIT: Adding something about CT so that this isn't completely off-topic haha - the Steam version uses the DS translation as its basis right? So if someone did want the DS translation but on the big screen and with more readable font, the Steam version seems like it'd be ideal.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome, I'm always happy to hear from others who have read this classic :D I think in an academic setting the Tyler translation makes the most sense for sure. The translation is faithful, it's unabridged, and the footnotes are really useful. Waley's translation takes a lot more artistic license but there are some passages that are truly beautiful and memorable English prose in its own right. If you ever re-read it I recommend checking out Waley especially since you're already familiar with the source material.

EDIT: Adding something about CT so that this isn't completely off-topic haha - the Steam version uses the DS translation as its basis right? So if someone did want the DS translation but on the big screen and with more readable font, the Steam version seems like it'd be ideal.
I will definitely keep that in mind. Thank you!

And yep, the Steam version uses the DS translation. With the patches that it received, it's a respectable version of the game now, so it's perfect to recommend.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I think the SNES version is still the best.

I prefer the original US SNES translation to the more recent retranslation. It's got a bit more character to it, and I feel it's more concerned with being entertaining to native English speakers than being as accurate as possible to the original Japanese script. It's a little rough in places, but I think overall it's far more charming.

The DS and subsequent versions based on it have the (imo) lesser translation, and the new content they added is easily the worst stuff in the game (although it is entirely optional).

That's just my preference though, really any version of the game is fine, whichever version you can get your hands on most easily.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
SNES version is miles better.

Also LOL at the "Frog has an accent that makes no sense" - who gives a shit, it's a whimsical anime adventure with talking frogs and steampunk robots. The SNES version has CHARACTER. That's kind of important when you're playing with these people in your party for 20 hours.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
The latter sounds much more flavorful to me
It has more words but what is added does nothing to the statement and strips the fatalistic simplicity out of "The black wind begins to blow..."

And that is my problem with a lot of the changes, the additions being done for the sake of accuracy end up weakening the sentient the passages are conveying.

When you confront Magus in his castle it goes like this:

----------------------
DS:
Magus: "Dal zumal phara-lo lierra...
Cast open the gates that lie betwixt heaven and earth...
In exchange for the life of this world..."

Frog: "Magus!"

Magus: "Ah, that frog from so many days ago. How have you fared since we last met?"

Frog: "Well enough. I owe you my gratitude. This form has been a blessing in disguise. Without it...there are things I'd never have obtained!"
*draws Masamune*

Magus: "Ah, the Masamune. Then you've come for me. Let us hope no one interferes this time."
*wind starts blowing*
"Again, the bitter black wind begins to howl. Very well. Come, if it is death you seek!"

----------------------

SNES:
Magus: "Neuga, ziena, zieber, zom...
Now the chosen time has come...
Exchange this world for...!"

Magus: "It...it's that stupid frog! Kissed any princesses lately?"

Frog: "I rather enjoy this form. And I oweth it all to you!
*draws Masamune*
"I have something for you!"

Magus: "Ah! The Masamune! I bet you are just dying to use it!"
*wind starts blowing*
"The black wind begins to blow...Okay...give me your best shot...if you're prepared for the void!"
----------------------

DS Magus loses his entire personality and is instead just a kind of generic badguy. Sure, the "kissed any princesses lately?" might be cartoonish but it points to the dickishness of the character, he turned Glenn into a frog and is continuing the insult. DS Magus is lacking in any insult, it feels like there is nothing there between the characters.

"If you're prepared for the void!" leading into the music is next level awesome.

You are going to have to use some words there.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It has more words but what is added does nothing to the statement and strips the fatalistic simplicity out of "The black wind begins to blow..."

And that is my problem with a lot of the changes, the additions being done for the sake of accuracy end up weakening the sentient the passages are conveying.

When you confront Magus in his castle it goes like this:

----------------------
DS:
Magus: "Dal zumal phara-lo lierra...
Cast open the gates that lie betwixt heaven and earth...
In exchange for the life of this world..."

Magus: "Ah, that frog from so many days ago. How have you fared since we last met?"

Frog: "Well enough. I owe you my gratitude. This form has been a blessing in disguise. Without it...there are things I'd never have obtained!"
*draws Masamune*

Magus: "Ah, the Masamune. Then you've come for me. Let us hope no one interferes this time."
*wind starts blowing*
"Again, the bitter black wind begins to howl. Very well. Come, if it is death you seek!"

----------------------

SNES:
Magus: "Neuga, ziena, zieber, zom...
Now the chosen time has come...
Exchange this world for...!"

Magus: "It...it's that stupid frog! Kissed any princesses lately?"

Frog: "I rather enjoy this form. And I oweth it all to you!
*draws Masamune*
"I have something for you!"

Magus: "Ah! The Masamune! I bet you are just dying to use it!"
*wind starts blowing*
"The black wind begins to blow...Okay...give me your best shot...if you're prepared for the void!"
----------------------

DS Magus loses his entire personality and is instead just a kind of generic badguy. Sure, the "kissed any princesses lately?" might be cartoonish but it points to the dickishness of the character, he turned Glenn into a frog and is continuing the insult. DS Magus is lacking in any insult, it feels like there is nothing there between the characters.

"If you're prepared for the void!" leading into the music is next level awesome.

You are going to have to use some words there.
Yep. Good example. The game is littered with it. Japanese is a language that when you translate it accurately tends to sound like overexplanation in English, it's why the original version is a good localization, rather than a 'translation'

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
The DS translation is a bit too literal and dry, while the SNES one misses a bit of accuracy, and gives Frog a faux Middle English accent that no one else uses. Ultimately the latter is more memorable, and very little is lost in the translation anyway. Having said that if you didn't love the game, the translation isn't going to change your feelings much. You'll find some cooler/more memorable lines in the SNES translation though.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought Frog's speech pattern was caused by his huge-ass, amphibian tongue. Neither young Glenn nor adult Glenn uses that accent.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I think the DS one is better overall, but there are some individual lines in the SNES one I liked better.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017

It's okay to not think Chrono Trigger is all that. I don't think it is and I have played the SNES version.

Aside from being a technically impeccable luxury, it's just an alright game with an alright story and cast. I very much prefer FFVI or DQV.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Second translation is vastly superior and I hugely prefer it, as someone who has played both the Japanese and both English versions. Feel this way about most of the retranslated SNES era RPGs.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They're both perfectly serviceable, but the SNES one has more memorable lines.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DS Magus loses his entire personality and is instead just a kind of generic badguy.
Honestly, reading this comparison alone, my feeling is the exact opposite. The generic badguy is the one who so readily insults his opponent, while the DS version has this air of measured condescension. I wouldn't say that it has no personality; it just a different kind of personality. In the end, I suppose which one is preferable is up to taste.

Also, "the black wind begins to blow" reads like a dramatic, ostentatious nonsense to begin with that I don't see how adding one adjective to that could diminish how it come across that drastically.

Last edited:

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
The DS version doesn't even have this intro sequence!!

This being missing from the DS version is something that really bothers me. I can't imagine why it was left out. I've only played the DS version to completion so I can't say much about the localization aside from I really enjoyed what I played on the DS.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan

I don't understand this change. It's not "closer" to the original in any meaningful way.

Edit: Reading the above, neither translation sounds like it comes out on top.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
The SNES translation had a poorly translated line which as a kid had me searching for a sidequest that didn't exist for ages, so I kind of don't remember it too fondly. I played the DS version for the first time last summer and I thought that translation was great. I don't remember too much else about the SNES version but I thought I understood a lot more about the Zeal part of the story this time around. It could also be that I'm 20+ years older than the first time I played it, lol.