• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
please tell me what is misinformation lol
the back grounds look like shit you thinking otherwise doesnt do anything...

ok so ppl play the mobile game lol
but they put more effort in that cut scene for a mobile game crossover than this remaster.
"Shows that Square doesn't care" after the blog post we got yesterday about the lengths they had to go through to even make this happen is just flat out wrong, man

Oct 27, 2017
I played it for about an hour last night, I can't express how disappointed I was in how shitty this remaster feels. The framerate is just bizarre.
nah its the same as the ps1 version ... 15fps in battles... lol

SE just didnt try at all.. 20 bones please...
smh.gif

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
some of it's still there (actual french words like au revoire, oui, mon ami, etc.), but the auto-generated lines that added stuff like z in every other word seems to be... not doing that anymore?

Oh, I see. Yeah that might have bigger implications for other characters since a large part of their "unique" dialogue was just the auto-filter running normal dialogue through something that changed it to their quirks. Poshul might not have a lisp now, maybe?

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
4 minutes. Really hate Steam's counter. It's been "about an hour" for two full hours.

Edit: just needed to restart Steam to get the unlock

Last edited:

Defunkled

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, I do.

Once you've cleared both Chrono Cross and Radical Dreamers at least once, sit through the (considerable!) length of credits from the main menu screen. At the end, and mind you it's all text-based so don't expect anything visually splashy, you'll get dialogue from Guile reflecting on battling the Time Devourer with Serge and Kid. I'm not gonna go into details because I think it's cool and y'all should experience it for yourselves, but the twist here is that Guile has been, well, inducted into canon as Magus after all.

Oh SHIT

Oct 27, 2017
"Shows that Square doesn't care" after the blog post we got yesterday about the lengths they had to go through to even make this happen is just flat out wrong, man
well if they really did "take those lengths" they need to go back to fucking school, but it doesn't show at all. when a modder can make better AI BGs than a billion dollar company that made the games in the first damn place..which seem to not care even enough to KEEP THE OG FILES of their million dollar saling games. lol maybe in a year of two modders will fix it.. but im fucking over these cash grabs which is all they are.. its good ppl that's never played it can now but why do they have to just barely try, then come out with a blog post saying how hard it was.

MAYBE keep your og game data files and stop being ridiculous.
FPrghvDWUAk1t-M

lol

Last edited:

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of obsessed that a lot of the messages from former production team members being shared on Twitter are basically "Wow this is happening? A lot of the assets were lost. Anyway cool."

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
OK Opened up the folder for the game aaaand in the data folder is.... cdrom.dat and cdrom2.dat. Renamed to bin and opened up archive:

A2a1JWH.png

edit: Looking at it further it seems like they did emulate the original code and logic and then have their own injection method for the HD stuff. There's another file HD.dat with similar directory structure to the OG game assets only they're the newer HD ones. At any rate all of this is to say mods will definitely be possible! Window frame swaps for instance should be as easy as replacing the PNG files. It should also be possible to change background.png in the ui.dat archive to just a black screen which will remove the border stuff, as well as button prompts for gamepads. Movies are still in bink format.

Last edited:

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Anyone playing on PC can tell if battles FPS are better/locked If you have a good enough PC? Or is it baked in and won't matter at all?

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
went and bought it because for $20 why not. i like the fast forward stuff but im a bit surprised that:

1) theres no fast forward in battle
2) theres no way to change graphic style during the game
3) there's no save states

otherwise seems cool so far looking forward to playing more.

Some samples of what can be expected from a true HD restoration mod:

The are by far the best AI upscales i have seen for the game so far.
oh man NICE im jealous

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
Out on Steam. Kinda holding off on getting it there until I hear some impressions. Really hope modders can fix up the backgrounds, fonts, let you toggle individual things, etc.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
perhaps as a counter to the negativity of the last page, I played for a couple hours last night and I was pretty happy! I think the backgrounds look better than I expected on my OLED Switch. The new models/art look great as well. The framerate in battles is probably ssssslightly better than the original (I've played it pretty recently so I feel comfortable saying that), but yeah definitely not great. That being said most people should be fast-forwarding through the battles so who really cares lol.

Music is wonderful - it's the same but if you listen to the soundtrack regularly you can definitely appreciate the upgraded quality.

anyways I love this game with all my heart and I'm excited more people will get to try it!

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to change the refresh rate from Nvidia Control Panel somehow? The tearing is making my eyes bleed. (PC version)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Some samples of what can be expected from a true HD restoration mod:

The are by far the best AI upscales i have seen for the game so far.
This is the minimum anyone should expect from a remaster of Chrono Cross.

I don't think I'll ever stop being befuddled by the fact that Squeenix spent the budget necessary to literally redraw every single background in Legend of Mana, but for Chrono Cross all we get is a shitty upscale.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
perhaps as a counter to the negativity of the last page, I played for a couple hours last night and I was pretty happy! I think the backgrounds look better than I expected on my OLED Switch. The new models/art look great as well. The framerate in battles is probably ssssslightly better than the original (I've played it pretty recently so I feel comfortable saying that), but yeah definitely not great. That being said most people should be fast-forwarding through the battles so who really cares lol.

Music is wonderful - it's the same but if you listen to the soundtrack regularly you can definitely appreciate the upgraded quality.

anyways I love this game with all my heart and I'm excited more people will get to try it!

That's the thing, right? When you apply a filter like the one they use on here for the backgrounds, it'll look fine on a smaller screen / resolution, but when you play on a TV, it'll look bad.

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
It should be theoretically possible to copy the provided OG background assets over the "HD" ones that look... not great.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
please tell me what is misinformation lol
the back grounds look like shit you thinking otherwise doesnt do anything...

ok so ppl play the mobile game lol
but they put more effort in that cut scene for a mobile game crossover than this remaster.

I mean, your first post about it made it seem like you were upset because of the idea that nobody plays Another Eden, which isn't actually the case. I totally get wanting a prettier remaster, it would be amazing to have a complete Chrono package that's truly HD, but there's a huge difference between making a single CG advertisement and redoing an entire 20-40-hour RPG, you know?

blog.playstation.com

Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition – Remastering a classic

Producer Koichiro Sakamoto reveals the exciting challenges of remastering and enhancing the classic PlayStation RPG.

wtf is up with SE lol they make fucking millions from these games in the past and they cant seem to keep the OG raw data files from any of their games that made them what they are now...

-___-

nah-jake-gyllenhaal.gif

fucking embarrassing..
they said this a number of times..from a number of remasters. unless their studio was flooded or some shit their incompetence isnt an excuse anymore.. like WTF are they doing...

It's not dev laziness, though. Not keeping source code or assets isn't something exclusive to Square, and it doesn't mean they're lazy or incompetent; it was an entirely normal practice back when these games were developed. For example, here's a clip of a few people talking about it in the context of Konami (and Japanese devs in general).

Western devs have had problems with it too, like with the Mass Effect and Baldur's Gate (#2 under what went wrong) remasters. Same with the 2016 Ratchet and Clank game (#2 under what went wrong there as well). It's just a common thing. Nothing to do with laziness or incompetence or anything like that, not an excuse. Times were different then, digital storage was nearly all physical (cloud storage didn't really get big until, like, 2006ish or so?), and the industry as a whole didn't really expect remasters to be a thing, let alone that they'd need the source code for anything else, especially with how development was so different for each console.

Long story short, the industry had no idea what its future would be, and game archiving/preservation is still barely getting off the ground nowadays, let alone back then.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
Harle's faux-French accent always made me cringe as a French speaker so I'm glad it's gone.

Won't have time to play it till later, looking forward to play the game again. It's an unlikely choice for a remaster (and I say this as fan) so I'm glad to see it get some love.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I mean, your first post about it made it seem like you were upset because of the idea that nobody plays Another Eden, which isn't actually the case. I totally get wanting a prettier remaster, it would be amazing to have a complete Chrono package that's truly HD, but there's a huge difference between making a single CG advertisement and redoing an entire 20-40-hour RPG, you know?

It's not dev laziness, though. Not keeping source code or assets isn't something exclusive to Square, and it doesn't mean they're lazy or incompetent; it was an entirely normal practice back when these games were developed. For example, here's a clip of a few people talking about it in the context of Konami (and Japanese devs in general).

Western devs have had problems with it too, like with the Mass Effect and Baldur's Gate (#2 under what went wrong) remasters. Same with the 2016 Ratchet and Clank game (#2 under what went wrong there as well). It's just a common thing. Nothing to do with laziness or incompetence or anything like that, not an excuse. Times were different then, digital storage was nearly all physical (cloud storage didn't really get big until, like, 2006ish or so?), and the industry as a whole didn't really expect remasters to be a thing, let alone that they'd need the source code for anything else, especially with how development was so different for each console.

Long story short, the industry had no idea what its future would be, and game archiving/preservation is still barely getting off the ground nowadays, let alone back then.

Indeed but there are ways to fix that nowadays and if fans can do it in their free time why can't a multi million dollar company like Square Enix do it? Not to mention other remasters from the same era they did recently where fine and they didn't have the source files for those either.

OP
OP
Nairume

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
MAYBE keep your og game data files and stop being ridiculous.
That is easy to say in hindsight. Fact of the matter is, extremely few companies (Nintendo is basically the only real big example) went through the effort to actually archive this stuff until relatively recently because it used to be prohibitively expensive and complicated to deal with the process of digitally preserving their old resources (and it isn't exactly an easy process now). The reason SquareEnix just happens to be exposed more frequently is because they have attempted more rereleases of the games impacted. Most companies just don't talk about the problem and/or don't bother rereleasing those games, and those that do (namely Sega) goes with other solutions to differing levels of success.

To be clear, yeah, I wish they had done more here. That said, given they also went through the effort of localizing Radical Dreamers and did some other small things here or there, it's not like they didn't try at all, which is why I made a very specific request at the start of the thread for people to just be mindful of how they criticize this remaster.

OP
OP
Nairume

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed but there are ways to fix that nowadays and if fans can do it in their free time why can't a multi million dollar company like Square Enix do it? Not to mention other remasters from the same era they did recently where fine and they didn't have the source files for those either.
Because fans doing it in their free time have exactly that: free time

They have all the time in the world to work on these things to get them perfect (and sometimes they aren't! mods can be glitchy sometimes) versus the people doing it for a job that have to deal with all sorts of deadlines, restrictions, technical concerns, etc.

And while there are other remasters of games from that era that don't run into that issue, it's not like there's a lot of them that don't. SaGa Frontier HD and Legend of Mana HD were better off yeah, but they also had execs who were willing to give those the resources and (more importantly) time to be able to get it right (and SFHD is also more expensive as a result).

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Companies have trouble doing these things for several reasons.
  1. The ROI doesn't make sense; they will not make the budget back.
  2. Rights management. They may not be able to secure the rights to certain things (like music, art, etc). Fans don't have to give a shit. Corporations do.
  3. Open-source software. A lot of companies forbid the usage of open-source software as anything other than the base of proprietary code. Especially older companies like SQEX. So the AI upscaling technology simply cannot be used.
The lazy dev rhetoric either was, is, or should be a bannable offense.

I'm fairly certain even Kingdom Hearts has a story about lost dev code. This stuff used to be kept on literal floppies or CDs that were shoved into a locker after completion.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Look guys, we got a shout-out!

Play-Asia also have utterly rip-off-merchant prices, so there are other good reasons to shop around for the Chrono Cross physical anyway.