• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I never played it first time around. Will get the switch version this go around.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'll get this, it's been forever since I played CC.

Hattoto

Jun 26, 2020
I recommend newcomers to jump in without any expectations, and just enjoy the ride that Kato crafted.

Chrono Cross deserves to be appreciated on its own terms and it offers quite a trip that seems inimitable. The Chrono Trigger connections I personally loved, but I like how this game has an identity of its own.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
btw: big thumbs up for making use of the side-aligned graphics. love doing that :D (it's always a bit messy on mobile, sadly but looks great on desktop!).

edit: I completely missed dropping a shoutout to another great set of graphics by Dice!

Hah! Learned that little technique from iFirez after we all worked together. x) (thank you!)

Thank you. I will wait for a meguri mod type deal.

Yeeaaaah, I'm really hoping on that too . :/
I don't often go for PC when a (portable) Switch version is coming out too; but I'm super eager to see what modders might do to Chrono Cross.

Gimme that moguri treatment. ⛵
uaU2zPp.jpg

1cy0kCw.jpg

Also if anyone is curious about how Radical Dreamers holds up 25 years later post-Chrono Cross, I wrote a little about it here. https://www.fanbyte.com/features/radical-dreamers-recontextualizes-chrono-cross/

Now that I've played what can actually be called the English localization of Radical Dreamers, I realize that it's an important piece of Chrono, uh, chronology that actually puts a new spin on Chrono Cross despite predating it. In an unintentional bit of thematic impact, playing Radical Dreamers in 2022 feels like traveling through time to learn some new information that benefits the future.

Got lil' stars in my eyes reading that. Can't wait. What little I did play was such a weird trip; but I'm super excited to have it now as a 'full picture' to the series...sorta.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
At any rate, I'm so excited to revisit this. I started a 20th anniversary playthrough back in 2020 but got distracted because of...just....everything

Chrono Cross is a very special game to me. It was the very first game I ever fully preordered and paid off ahead of time, and I think basically the first time I followed a game from the first time it was announced in magazines to when it came out. Because it's so short and replayable, I think it was also the first time I played an RPG enough to just do *everything* you could possibly do in it. I still have the pre-order bonus clock that came with it (and it still works last I checked, but it's long in storage now) though I never got the preorder CD that was supposed to come with it.

I had a very similar experience as I was so hyped when I learned about this game and it was also the first game I purchased with my own money as a kid that I earned during summer break. All my friends at the time didn't even know about it and were more interested in Legend of Dragoon for some reason.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Also who else is starting with Radical Dreamers. I feel like thats the natural progression and makes the most sense. Leave the big peice for after. I just wanna know if there are any trophies tied to it. Simply beating it would be fine or am I gonna have to look at a guide to romance kid or take no damage or something crazy like that.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
In the moment yes, it pays off and you get Glenn who is easily the 2nd best character In battle outside Serge.

you choose the Glenn route over saving kid in the moment, but you'll get her anyway down the line and no negatives with it
I always thought it makes no thematic sense why Serge and group would choose to do nothing to help kid.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I always thought it makes no thematic sense why Serge and group would choose to do nothing to help kid.

I mean, everyone gets super pissed at you for it. xD
Then you buddy up with a tough-ass Knight and rule the world together as best bros. 💪 💪

But yeah I'm surprised they even made THAT an option. o_O It makes Serge's scenes where he's reminiscing about her pretty bizarre/funny.

GlacialTruffle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really appreciate the branching path FAQ. It'll let me play the game without worrying about messing up. Thank you.

Looking forward to giving this game a fair shake.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's tougher and tougher to choose
Any switch performance ?

It's about switch vs steam deck now 😅

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Recently replayed Chrono Trigger on Steam and got all the endings for the first time. My body is ready for a replay of Chrono Cross.

I'm bummed the remake isn't widescreen but I'm just so happy that it and Radical Dreams are going to be widely available again (and QoL features like Fast Forward are so welcome)

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Very nice thread OP! I will be getting this pretty soon, not release date but hopefully soon, and am excited for my first time experiencing it. Being not-a-fan of Trigger, but loving Honne's art and Mitsuda's music and SaGa like gameplay makes me very interested in diving in.

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
it's funny that chrono cross was one of the first games to ever feature fast forward (as a ng+ item). in my recent replay I gamesharked that item into my inventory so I could fast forward on emulator without speeding up the music.

OP
OP
Nairume

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, everyone gets super pissed at you for it. xD
Then you buddy up with a tough-ass Knight and rule the world together as best bros. 💪 💪

But yeah I'm surprised they even made THAT an option. o_O It makes Serge's scenes where he's reminiscing about her pretty bizarre/funny.
Not that it fully ever justified it to me, but the thing that I feel kinda opens the door for it narratively is that Kid tells him to go do the other thing after she gives him the necklace and before she passes out.

Though, maybe that is just 13 year old me from 22 years ago trying to justify it when I went for the replay to get Glenn, since I absolutely chose to save her on my first playthrough.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Chrono cross coming out was the straw that broke the camels back on convincing my brother to buy a PS1 with me (I was long convinced and couldn't afford it alone at the time)

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Nice OT! I got about half way through the game way back when I put it down for whatever reason. Time to beat this one with the remaster.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I had a lot of fun with the game even if i didn't understand a thing about the plot.
So i'm pretty excited to replay it, especially after completing Trigger last year.
I hope my nostalgia doesn't backfire on me haha.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not that it fully ever justified it to me, but the thing that I feel kinda opens the door for it narratively is that Kid tells him to go do the other thing after she gives him the necklace and before she passes out.

Though, maybe that is just 13 year old me from 22 years ago trying to justify it when I went for the replay to get Glenn, since I absolutely chose to save her on my first playthrough.

oooh yeaah!! He gets the amulet then too right? So Kid knows[?] how to use it I suppose!

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What constitutes a true 100% in Chrono Cross? All characters, endings, level 7 techs, summons? Anything more?

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
My second CD never worked as a kid. I never got pass the cutscene
with the burning house

I'll finally be able to beat this! Day one! The music and artwork is so good.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
I remember as a kid being in a Final Fantasy chat room and the Americans were playing this and I was gutted because it wasn't coming to Europe. I tried to get my PS1 chipped so I could import it, but the internet wasn't like it is today and I couldn't find anywhere to get it done. Can't wait to finally play this. Can't believe it's only $20.

TheDoldrums

Nov 10, 2017
I have such a big backlog. Currently juggling three games and one of them is Elden Ring...and yet since seeing this thread I can't think of anything but buying this for my 5th playthrough. Just hearing the first few notes of some songs gives me chills. What an amazing game.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My review is up over at Nova Crystallis!

Love, love, love this game.

Quinton, my friend of many words (many which are good-written). Curious of a few things: (1) Was this a replay for you? and (2) what did you think of the final battle sequence? and (3) (if there's time) share like...two songs you want the people to know are good or characters you want to be friends with :P
(I'm just hyped and what your in-depth feelins)

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Chrono Cross is legitimately one of the greatest gaming sequels I've ever played, and is more than part of the reason why I love NieR so much.

I'll just leave it at that.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
Been wanting a rerelease on this for a long time but now I want to wait because I feel like this would be a good Steam Deck game, but I'm estimated to be in the late Q2 camp.

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
So the game runs like crap on Switch? Hopefully it'll get fixed soon right? Please it's the platform I want to play it on the most

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm so jealous of all of you playing the game soon. I've played the PS1 version briefly (it was my brother's emulator copy and I was a kid back then), and I tried out the PSP/PS3 (bought this on the Japanese/US PSN account). Even though I've never made it past the early parts, I've always had very strong nostalgic feelings for it. Which is pretty crazy for not playing the game much. I'm planning on getting this version in the future but won't be able to play it any time soon. Besides my backlog, I want to play Chrono Trigger (and Radical Dreamers?) first. That doesn't stop me from reading this thread and watching all the videos. Lovely OP btw.

Anyway there is one in thing I'd like to talk about. Many compare the upscaling job with the FF remasters but it doesn't feel that way to me. Call me crazy but it feels like more effort went into Chrono Cross. The background looks less blurry and in parts beautiful. It's just with certain places it looks weird/noticeable, mainly the painting like levels with strong lines. With FF games it was very noticeable everywhere but here it doesn't look as bad. Or is it just me?

Edit: I've watched a gameplay video with borders. I don't remember if the FF games were with borders only too.

hypostatic

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
This is a top-5 game for me, and one of the most impactful I played as a young teen. I've wondered for years if this would ever get a remake and it's finally here. Ordering the physical from Asia, obviously.