• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Maybe it's because I just recently replayed the PS1 version but even though this is a "barebones" port this is like Heaven on Earth for me. The new art looks great, the CG cutscenes finally no longer look like they were recorded with a half-eaten moldy potato, and I love how the re-done models look. Backgrounds look good enough to me. I'm in love
Yeah, I'm happy (enough) with the way this looks and really looking forward to playing it again.

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020
The actual animations were probably originally done at a lower frame rate. That's what it looks like from the video.

Nah, the game will actually run at 60 fps smoothly, if you give it more juice than the PSX CPU can actually manage. But that also breaks the game at spots. Would need something more than just a raw emulated port, sadly.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
FPRiKBxWQAUvRyG

New art! Featuring about half of the playable cast, which is pretty cool.
lol looks to be the 'save Kid' Route since someone major is missing. :P

Last edited:

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Ahhhh I was just revisiting some old FAQs and min/max guides and I'm getting super hyped!!! I'm definitely going for the Chrono Cross ending on the first playthrough, ready for the pain!

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Never got around to play this game back then but really excited about this. I just hope there are not too many missables as I don't wanna use a guide to get a somewhat decent ending.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Never got around to play this game back then but really excited about this. I just hope there are not too many missables as I don't wanna use a guide to get a somewhat decent ending.
It'll be addressed in the OT but there are some missables that are easy enough to manage to get before the point you can't get them anymore. The thing everyone who goes in fresh needs to square away with is that getting 100% completion is impossible on a first (and second) run of the game because there are points you have to actively choose between things that will lock you out of stuff.

Getting the "good" ending isn't something you can get locked out of, at least. You can just miss it by not doing the things you need to get it, but you can always go back and do them.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Curious to find out if I'm capable of replaying CC again yet. I played it absurd number of times when it was a new PS1 game. That was the in the thick Square JRPG golden age, which for me started when I played FFIV in 1992. Frankly I was never a huge Chrono Trigger fan, but I was all over Chrono Cross like a bum on a baloney sandwich. I was so insanely hyped after they announced it. To this day I'm not sure why... I guess JParish's hype rubbed off on me. After it came out I literally couldn't stop playing it. Even after I recruited all of the characters, I just started all over again on a new file and got them all again. But eventually I burned out harder than I ever have for any other game. The last time I tried to play it was when it was released on PS3 via the PS Store. I had no problem replaying those versions of FFVII, Xenogears etc. But when I tried to replay CC, I just couldn't do it. The burn out runs deep. I have serious doubts I can replay it even now.

Jul 26, 2018
This game is not good and definitely avoid it if you hate missables. I wish 35 of the 40 characters were missable for good. Cast could have actually have some development if they didn't go for a half ass Suikoden system

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that it still isn't up for pre-order on psn with the release mere days away as well as how hard it is to find on the store is making me a little nervous.

SketchDog

Nov 25, 2021
Toronto
I don't like Chrono Cross as a game. Should I buy this half-assed remaster?
I'd say no as the game itself is largely unchanged. There were major changes to the art in the game and the music. They did a good effort on those but the game itself remains basically unchanged and looks similar to how N64 games got upgraded on NSO.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
We're getting a review thread, yeah?

Because, well…. My review

As someone who doesn't own the original this seems decent enough for me to pick up. At least if I toggle the visual enhancements off I get the same experience I'd be getting if I picked it up on PS3 but with speed toggle and other QoL. Plus Radical Dreamers.

You mention at the end that the remastered tracks aren't integrated into the game. Does that just mean the completely rearranged tracks? Someone posted a tweet that seemed to indicate the entire soundtrack had been cleaned up and resampled.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who doesn't own the original this seems decent enough for me to pick up. At least if I toggle the visual enhancements off I get the same experience I'd be getting if I picked it up on PS3 but with speed toggle and other QoL. Plus Radical Dreamers.

You mention at the end that the remastered tracks aren't integrated into the game. Does that just mean the completely rearranged tracks? Someone posted a tweet that seemed to indicate the entire soundtrack had been cleaned up and resampled.

Yeah. The soundtrack itself is cleaned up in game. I remember SE advertising new music for the remaster so it felt like a disservice to only include them in the main menu where you choose to play CC/RD.

CC itself is still a good game, my score just reflects the quality of the remaster.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
First reviews

wccftech.com

Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition (PS4) Review - Iconic Yet Underserved

Unfortunately, we aren't in the timeline where Square Enix gave Chrono Cross the treatment it deserves for a full remaster.

4.5/10!? Ooof.

• Crippled frame rates and performance are more obvious than ever
  • Sharp character models contrast with blurry, smooth filtered backdrops
  • Crucial timesaving tricks, ie: pausing the roulette wheel, patched out

Damn it SE why is this half-assed?

Welp, guess it's back to the PS1 version on my PS3.