• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Interesting. This made me want to go and redownload it on my Vita, but I had to go into my purchase history to find it...no store page. I wonder when it was delisted.

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020
Concerning that some of the gameplay shown seems low framerate ala the original. Interesting thing about Chrono Cross is that it technically ran variable framerates that I think capped at 15, 30, or 60, but original PSX hardware could never drive it at 60; you'd fluctuate between 15 and 30. If you use an emulator that can overclock the virtual CPU, you can actually hit consistent 60fps, and it looks just miles better than the inconsistent mess it is on real hardware. ...that is, until the game breaks because the overclock screws something up.

What I'm really getting at is, if they don't give us at least 60fps in this remaster, it'll be fucking criminal. The best thing you can do with a remaster of a game that asks too much of its' hardware is to really let it breathe.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
They do? :/

qdCeomZ.png

vs AI upscale:

Vau0wSj.png

It looks like the same terrible vaseline filter that we got in FFVII/VIII/IX on modern consoles. At least it seems we're getting the option to play it looking like it's essentially run using a PS1 emulator with pixelated font, backgrounds and character models?

*shrug* Looks about the same for me. One is just zoomed in more.

Skoje

Oct 26, 2017
Concerning that some of the gameplay shown seems low framerate ala the original. Interesting thing about Chrono Cross is that it technically ran variable framerates that I think capped at 15, 30, or 60, but original PSX hardware could never drive it at 60; you'd fluctuate between 15 and 30. If you use an emulator that can overclock the virtual CPU, you can actually hit consistent 60fps, and it looks just miles better than the inconsistent mess it is on real hardware. ...that is, until the game breaks because the overclock screws something up.

What I'm really getting at is, if they don't give us at least 60fps in this remaster, it'll be fucking criminal. The best thing you can do with a remaster of a game that asks too much of its' hardware is to really let it breathe.
Didn't Square tie some back-end calculations to frame rate on a bunch of their PSX games?

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020
Didn't Square tie some back-end calculations to frame rate on a bunch of their PSX games?

I mean, it's very common for console games. Honestly the surprising thing was finding that framerate was actually unlocked in Cross, and being able to get it up to 60fps. Compare it to something like Final Fantasy 7, which is going to have 15fps battle animations regardless of what you do to the PSX clock (and why the recent mod for the PC version was a big deal, with 60 fps interpolation of all the game's animations).

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
Could this mean a third game is finally in the works? (Chrono Break?). I mean, the proper ending of Cross was a cliffhanger of sorts.

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
Remasters of games with prerendered backgrounds reminds me of ePSXe emu, really ugly and make the characters look like walking on a green screen

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Remasters of games with prerendered backgrounds reminds me of ePSXe emu, really ugly and make the characters look like walking on a green screen

A nice CRT filter is super handy in these situations. :)

Anyhow, what the fuck lol?

Did not see this coming. Amazing news. It's been a great couple of years for me! Legend of Mana and Chrono Cross are two of my favorite RPGs ever.

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
I played a fan translation many years ago and I found it very interesting, if a bit too simple (yes, it's a text adventure). I am very psyched to play the official translation and see how all that Magus/Janus stuff ties up Trigger and Cross.

Yeah, It's really more of a mood piece with some ADV visual novel elements, rather than a fully fleshed-out capital-g Game. imo, the clear budget & technological constraints force some interesting choices, and it's very atmospheric.

Radical Dreamers does follow up some of Chrono Trigger's loose ends by the end of its main scenario (though it doesn't definitively finish with them), while Chrono Cross repurposes a good chunk of Radical Dreamers' plot to expand outward, and do it's own thing with a much bigger scope.

At the end of Radical Dreamers, it's explicitly revealed that Gil is Magus / Janus, having been searching for Schala since the end of Chrono Trigger, and that Kid is actually Schala reborn. They bounce to do other stuff that's never detailed, and leave Serge behind.

Chrono Cross has Guile, who was absolutely intended to be Magus early on in development, like Gil in Radical Dreamers. Then they realized they wanted ~40 other recruitable party members, and that the already extremely dense plot didn't leave a whole lot of room for his character and relationship with Schala. So they jettisoned that plotline, gave Guile amnesia, and detached the character from Magus / Janus.

I don't really want to touch the awful bonus dungeon(s) they added to later versions of Chrono Trigger, but the "Dimensional Vortex" retroactively adds a new ending meant to further bridge Trigger→Cross. Magus finds Schala, now in the process of fusing with Lavos, but is unable to free her. So Magus resigns, and loses all of his memories, ending up in some woods somewhere. I guess that's him becoming Guile?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Running away from a fight does not save us from the opening of Gale.

The secret is that Gale actually better in Radical Dreamers. It's punchier, uses better samples, and has a way better rhythm track to help follow the weird-ass time signature changes and polyrhythms.

To be absolutely fair, you aren't hearing it every 30 seconds though.

Could this mean a third game is finally in the works? (Chrono Break?). I mean, the proper ending of Cross was a cliffhanger of sorts.

I'd assume if there's going to be, it's a classic "if one line crosses (ha) another on the sales chart for this port, we'll green-light it."

RebelStrike

Apr 28, 2020
This was great to see in the direct, never had a chance to play Chrono Cross so I've got it pre-ordered. Now we just need Chrono Trigger to finally come to Switch too lol.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
A nice CRT filter is super handy in these situations. :)

Anyhow, what the fuck lol?

Did not see this coming. Amazing news. It's been a great couple of years for me! Legend of Mana and Chrono Cross are two of my favorite RPGs ever.

Yeah, at least a scanlines overlay or even some film grain.

I understand if they dont implement full CRT shaders due to the performance impact but...how about the other 2?

JordianKnot

Oct 27, 2017
So, is this game actually good? Or is it more of a cult fan favorite? Legitimately asking!

All I know from it is the amazing theme, and that it is a spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger (which I loved) but it did not live up to it apparently.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy that Chrono Cross is getting re-released for consoles while Trigger is still stuck on PC/mobile.

2/3 of the Chrono series is going to be playable on Switch/Xbox One/PS4...and the one game missing is Trigger, undeniably the most popular and well known of the series. What the hell. I really thought they'd announce CT for consoles alongside CC.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

While I'd never discount SE wanting a guaranteed[?] payday by bringing the series back (people would certainly go nuts); the fact a lot of the original staff wouldn't be around for it is sorta depressing

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
So, is this game actually good? Or is it more of a cult fan favorite? Legitimately asking!

All I know from it is the amazing theme, and that it is a spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger (which I loved) but it did not live up to it apparently.

The game is a mixed bag, but very good overall. As long as you don't go in expecting Trigger 2 you'll be in for a good time.

lairo

May 28, 2020
Oh Lord do not watch that trailer unless you've beaten the game completely yet. It's chock-full of big time spoilers.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy that Chrono Cross is getting re-released for consoles while Trigger is still stuck on PC/mobile.

2/3 of the Chrono series is going to be playable on Switch/Xbox One/PS4...and the one game missing is Trigger, undeniably the most popular and well known of the series. What the hell. I really thought they'd announce CT for consoles alongside CC.
Part of the reason for this is that the rights to Chrono Trigger are a mess compared to Chrono Cross and Radical Dreamers.

RD = fully owned by SE
CC = owned by SE except the music (owned by Mitsuda)
CT = multiple owners (SE, Horii, Toriyama)

Oct 27, 2017
Part of the reason for this is that the rights to Chrono Trigger are a mess compared to Chrono Cross and Radical Dreamers.

RD = fully owned by SE
But Dragon Quest is in the exact same situation and gets ported pretty fine. Like it doesnt even seem thier on bad terms

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But Dragon Quest is in the exact same situation and gets ported pretty fine. Like it doesnt even seem thier on bad terms
Horii is the main driving force behind DQ, whereas he never seemed interested in Chrono after the release of the original game. He even went on record saying that he sees no reason to be involved in a CT2 because everything he would want to do in it he can already do in DQ instead.

While Horii is obviously not on bad terms with SE, I doubt he wants to collaborate with people like Kato, Kitase, Tokita, etc. again. Even during CT development they had some known disagreements (Square didn't want a silent protagonist but Horii wanted one).

Skoje

Oct 26, 2017

RD = fully owned by SE
That's not what is stopping it. It simple lack of will. There isn't really any advocates for CT to be ported.

Plus, you don't get the news/hype you would get for porting CC off of the PSX for the first time. CT has been on DS, PC, and PSX.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017

It goes out of its way to shit on Chrono Trigger's story and characters. It retroactively makes Chrono Trigger a worse game.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC

latest

Sold about 790K worldwide according to Wiki.

JordianKnot

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty much the Last Jedi of the Chrono series
Not sure how to feel….. 😅

The game is a mixed bag, but very good overall. As long as you don't go in expecting Trigger 2 you'll be in for a good time.
I'll probably check it out at some point out of curiosity.

It goes out of its way to shit on Chrono Trigger's story and characters. It retroactively makes Chrono Trigger a worse game.
Jeez 0_O

Skoje

Oct 26, 2017
While I'd never discount SE wanting a guaranteed[?] payday by bringing the series back (people would certainly go nuts); the fact a lot of the original staff wouldn't be around for it is sorta depressing
It is in a way... but I would be interested to see what a new generation of people would do with it. Kinda like how the Saga franchise is getting a kinda revival

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It is in a way... but I would be interested to see what a new generation of people would do with it. Kinda like how the Saga franchise is getting a kinda revival

After a quick think about it: ...Yeah, honestly, I'm on board with that. Shit, it was an apparently "younger staff" that helped take BOTW into the stratosphere it's been at today.

Do you need to plat Chrono Trigger to understand Chrono Cross?

No. Some content was added for the NDS/PC release, but please just watch it on YouTube as it's tied to super duper tedious new (i.e. asset recycled) content.
But def have CT base game beaten, it's absolutely going to make CC better.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine Chrono Trigger in the Octopath Traveler engine. That would be sick.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
Final Fantasy VII port: No AI upscaling, blurry backgrounds
Final Fantasy IX port: No AI upscaling, blurry backgrounds, fixed by Moguri Mod
Final Fantasy VIII Remastered Port: No AI upscaling, blurry backgrounds
SaGa Frontier Remastered: AI upscaling done well
Legend of Mana: AI upscaling done well
Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition: Optional AI upscaling background toggle that looks very hit-or-miss that washes everything out, and can't pick & choose what gets changed (all or nothing for font/portraits/3D models/backgrounds).

Sounds like I'm getting Chrono Cross on Steam in the hopes fans touch this one up.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Just saying... I would also buy a basic port of Chrono Trigger for that same price... just saying