• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Bad sequel, fantastic OST, really unique art, gameplay and writing really varying in quality.
One of the best JRPGs on PS1 in the end, but not that much of a masterpiece.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
XG, VS, FFT, ffix and Chrono cross.
Golden Age. After that It all went downhill at Square.
Chrono cross probably Is that last Square jrpg i enjoyed from start to the ending. FF9 was not as epic as cross. Ff12 was good for half the plot. Chrono cross was ahead of its time.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Only played an hour or so before the age of the game made me stop but I love the OST. Plus Retronauts recently did a good episode on it, HG101 did one too (though I've yet to listen to it), and I've always enjoyed Satchell Drakes' videos about the game:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Also was Chrono Trigger's 25th anniversary a few days ago.

Man.

Fuck.

I feel so old.

Anyway I remember being super hyped for CC. 20 years later, I have no strong feelings for it, one way or the other, turned out to be a largely forgettable experience unfortunately. The soundtrack however is still incredible, its most enduring aspect by far.
i love Mitsuda's work but the battle theme is awful

It's funny how his regulaar battle themes are generally not great, but his boss themes are outstanding.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
OST is better than 99% of all games even to this current day, and I don't even think it's a tiniest bit controversial to say so.

Replayed the entire game a couple years ago, and the people that say it's not a good sequel, or that it would be better stand alone either didn't play the game or weren't paying attention. The game deals with deeper and darker themes than the original, and it's all about the fall out from Chrono Trigger. That said, it's also not a depressing game even when dealing with those themes, hope and love are still the primary feelings you get when you end it.

The REAL problem with the game is simply that it was the victim of Square's "games must be completed in 2 years time" policy of the PS1 era. The second disc of CC is literally a single dungeon and an exposition dump from 3 NPCs you don't even have to interact with before the final boss.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Absolutely adore Chrono Cross. I was so excited to run to the game store to get it the day it came out. End of the summer, I'm in high school, time for a big relax. I actually sat down and played through the entire game in one 36 hour session (with breaks for food/bathroom of course) and just loved every second of it.

hamghost

Sep 1, 2019
I no longer have my copy of the game, but I do still have the clock and mini soundtrack CD you got for pre-ordering 😁

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Oh right, it was The Summer Of Adventure 20 years ago.

Look. There are things called Fundamental Laws of Physics, and one of them is "Chrono Cross is the best VGM OST ever made".

Here, have some of Mitsuda's liner notes:

"Music has mysterious powers. It has to power to express your feelings more than all the words that you can put together. I think no matter how 'good' a song may be, it has no inner meaning if it is just a montage of sounds. How could composers say that 'any kind of music is good', can be the same as 'this won't clash with my passion for composing'? Music is certainly a colorful media for expressions."

I played Trigger a year after this, and took that Kato hated the characters? I dont even consider it a sequel, really. If I was forced to recognize some kind of connection, it'd be a meanspirited fan fic from a 18yo angry at someone in their lives taking it out on characters.

i love Mitsuda's work but the battle theme is awful

9/8 time signature is good spice! I wont have it maligned!

Also Suikoden says "fie!" to too many characters.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Man I really gotta play this game. Have it on my vita, assuming it's best way to play these days?

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Cross was one of the best JRPGs of its time.

Also, I say this with no hyperbole whatsoever, the soundtrack is and forever will be one of the finest ever made in the history of gaming. Period.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
Oh right, it was The Summer Of Adventure 20 years ago.

Look. There are things called Fundamental Laws of Physics, and one of them is "Chrono Cross is the best VGM OST ever made".

Here, have some of Mitsuda's liner notes:

I played Trigger a year after this, and took that Kato hated the characters? I dont even consider it a sequel, really. If I was forced to recognize some kind of connection, it'd be a meanspirited fan fic from a 18yo angry at someone in their lives taking it out on characters.

9/8 time signature is good spice! I wont have it maligned!

Also Suikoden says "fie!" to too many characters.

I love the Shadows End Forest track, it doesn't get enough love.

One of the best OST's of all time.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Imported it when it released in JPN almost a year earlier. Finished it and got the true end using some rough translations and forum chatter to fill in story gaps I couldn't understand with the language barrier. Adored it all.

Never did revisit it proper in English, always meant to. Still have my copy.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Earlier this year I did an r/lttp on this game. Instead of copying my long op, I will just link it here. (There's a small Easter egg in the op that nobody ever called out.)

I think it's a decent overview of the pros and cons.

Some of the best Jrpg atmosphere ever.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
It never came out in the UK/Europe. I had to wait until I got a PS3 before I was actually able to play it. What a joke.

Good game though. Easily some of the best visuals and music of its gen. The world was an absolute joy to explore as well. I just wish it did better in the way it handled its story and characters.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
The REAL problem with the game is simply that it was the victim of Square's "games must be completed in 2 years time" policy of the PS1 era. The second disc of CC is literally a single dungeon and an exposition dump from 3 NPCs you don't even have to interact with before the final boss.
This game begs for a Director's Cut.
Oi, Squeenix! Make it happen already!

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I legitimately like Chrono Cross more than Chrono Trigger.

Like, Trigger was fine but I preferred the Final Fantasy games of that era. Cross was a staple of my PS1 JRPG library though. I think it has a more enjoyable setting and cast, and it does more interesting things with it's gimmick.

I haven't played either since I was a kid though, tbf

Beanman25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gosh. I've beaten Chrono Trigger countless times, but I have never played this one in all of my years. It's evaded me. I ought to now!

Bobby Peru

Banned
Jun 10, 2020
Chrono Cross had a neat battle system, but there were parts of the game where traveling between worlds felt like a slog compared to traveling through time in Chrono Trigger.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I could never
not save Kid
I've only got Glenn when I was older.

Same. It literally never even occurred to me as an option when I was a kid, so it took me years and many replays to realize that THAT was how you actually got Glenn on your team.

Another one for me was fining out how to get Ice Breath for the Volcano. I literally always just spammed heals and tanked the damage, so I'd always be a little salty when I got the Ice gun way later on in the game and didn't need it anymore.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Great game but no where near what Trigger is. Listening to the music posted here is giving me blast of nostalgia.

Oct 25, 2017
Cross is the best sequel Trigger could ever have. It also has my favorite scene in all videogame history:

60107755_p44b1kdh.png

77857820_p02fkij.png

chrono_cross_hd_by_ra6vjp7.png

tumblr_n5knhuzy3u1snfenk5e.png