• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Are we sure it's not a stealth film event?

Edit: Then again, maybe he'll be there to present the award for audio design. His films certainly have that in common with many video games 🙉

Last edited:

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Remember the Tenet easter egg found in Fortnite. Feels like nothing came out of that. Or maybe it really was just an easter egg.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, I can also appreciate that people would rather see presenters from the video game industry. What does he really have to do with video games? It's not like he's a known gamer or anything either.

Exactly. I totally endorse Brie Larson presenting TGA for instance.

Nolan and other celebs are just there to hype and bring this event closer to the masses.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Don't really care what they are there for. The people who are putting the show together need to be paid and these companies need an audience to advertise to. There are going to be millions of eyes tuned in and we all watch TV shows and Movies so i don't see what is the problem in people getting paid to advertise as well as entertain.

That's not what you said though. I mean it would be nice to get people to celebrate games together from different mediums but I don't think that's the aim for this event.

Geoff needs the eyes to keep this thing afloat and it's never really just been about games it's a product so personally I don't care he can get whoever he wants to present.

freshVeggie

Oct 25, 2017
Just the thought of Nolan teaming up with Kojima for a game is exciting.

Tenet has real issues and dissappointed but Nolan has talent.
Coupled with Kojima's style, sth real cool could happen.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
That's not what you said though. I mean it would be nice to get people to celebrate games together from different mediums but I don't think that's the aim for this event.

Geoff needs the eyes to keep this thing afloat and it's never really just been about games it's a product so personally I don't care he can get whoever he wants to present.
What i said previously does not go against my latter comment. You can invite anyone from all facet of the entertainment industry to come together to celebrate gaming. That does not mean that they can't also advertise their projects and get paid to do so as well the show runners getting paid for the advertisement spot.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have a problem with Nolan but he does seem like a weird match and am keeping my expectations low for that segment.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Look i dont mind, geoff can do whatever he wants. I dont have this urge some people have to prove roger ebert wrong and make "videogames art",because it already is and only old elitist people dont see it, so i dont really need celebrities to be there to validate this industry. But i'll also not act as if this is a shame and that they are looking down on us and etc, because i frankly don't care.

I dont even like the show,is a boring giant piece of advertisement. I only watch because my friends ask me to and because it has announcements. Of all the things to borrow from the movie industry,they had to do the oscars, which already suck.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look i dont mind, geoff can do whatever he wants. I dont have this urge some people have to prove roger ebert wrong and make "videogames art",because it already is and only old elitist people dont see it, so i dont really need celebrities to be there to validate this industry. But i'll also not act as if this is a shame and that they are looking down on us and etc, because i frankly don't care.

I dont even like the show,is a boring giant piece of advertisement. I only watch because my friends ask me to and because it has announcements. Of all the things to borrow from the movie industry,they had to do the oscars, which already suck.
man that first sentence does not line up with the rest of this lol

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
Aren't him and his brother avid gamers?

I doubt he'd want to present at an awards event for a medium he has little interest in. We don't know the logistics behind how he was asked or the level of mutual interest between them and himself.

zer0_X

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
Fuck Nolan
(and his idea of releasing a movie in the middle of the pandemic and being pissed because it bombed)

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hear me out for a second, what if you can do both? Have known faces in games as well known faces in other forms of entertainment come together to celebrate game creators. Wouldn't it be awesome to have people across all facet of the entertainment industry come together to celebrate a medium that nearly 3 billion people on earth enjoy and partake in?

Nooooo, that sounds stupid. It should be exclusive to only people who make games. Nobody else should be invited because obviously they make movies and TV so they clearly don't know anything about story telling nor do they enjoy games, their families and friends probably don't play games. Its not like a lot of game developers also come from various industries especially graphics programmers, animators, music production etc. Disney and heck Sony, Warner Bros, Vivendi are clearly not true gaming companies because they also own some of the largest Movie, TV and Music production companies as well.
Chill

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Gahh, hope these non-game folks are announcing some inclusion in the industry. Feels weird when a Film Director gives an award for Game Direction, like it's "legitimizing" game direction. They are different beasts.

With that said though if Nolan gave me an award for Game Direction I'd be stoked.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Like others have said...why? I really enjoy his films (or at least did until more recently), but other than just being a paid for hire to add some kind of "prestige" to the event, he's a bad fit. Maybe enough people can pester him to remix the bad audio in Tenet that he might consider it though. By all accounts, the audio on the home release(s) is just as bad.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Gahh, hope these non-game folks are announcing some inclusion in the industry. Feels weird when a Film Director gives an award for Game Direction, like it's "legitimizing" game direction. They are different beasts.

With that said though if Nolan gave me an award for Game Direction I'd be stoked.

I find these kinds of announcements just come off like gaming is "needy" for mainstream validation from celebrity culture and other art forms. Dripping out announcements of who is presenting awards at your show? I mean, come on.

I know Keighley has to walk a fine line between treating this as a serious industry awards show, but also having enough glitzy nonsense to be profitable and hook an audience. But oftentimes his efforts at the latter stray into territory that makes me wince.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Nolan is about to announce that he about to pull a Kojima and make his movies in video games instead.

Shades

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure there's legitimate reasoning, but why is the show scheduled on a Thursday?

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Too much sarcasm?

I'm good though. You and not a surprising amount of people on the other hand is bent out of shape because a movie director is taking part of a gaming award show.
It was a little extra, yeah.

And I'm not "bent out of shape", all I said was I can appreciate that people who ARE bent out of shape would prefer seeing presenters related to the video game industry.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Nolan helped make a game I'd literally chop off a nut to play it
hqdefault.jpg

Too Late he might want to change his name when he's up against the King

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
It was a little extra, yeah.

And I'm not "bent out of shape", all I said was I can appreciate that people who ARE bent out of shape would prefer seeing presenters related to the video game industry.
Fair enough.

I just don't get this response to this though, its not like we haven't sat through E3s with people from various entertainment industry taking part. Same thing happens when a reviewer does not know how to play a game like someone from an ESport team, people get all twisted because the person is not a "true gamer". People have this purity test when it comes to who is supposed to take part of games that i don't see in any other entertainment media like movies and music.