• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
LOL Nolan, get your ego in check. Hes more concerned with his legacy than the safety of the public.
Which is funny (in a shitty way) that his legacy would be of a director so far up his own ass that he would rather make more people infected with a deadly virus than have his precious little blockbuster be delayed.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Come on, Nolan. I love your films, but this is ridiculous. I ain't going to a theater in fucking July.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OUNM9NY.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I also cannot wait to see how out of touch and up its own ass the " A-list film makers urging people to come back to theaters" ad campaign is going to be

Tokio Blues

Sep 14, 2018
WTF? I prefer people to stay alive, not to watch some movie that could see in the next few months. This is INSANE.

"Revive movie theaters". What's wrong with society?

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Oh, he is NOT going to be happy if (when?) the studio pushes to give it an early VoD release, is he?

Tremagus

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
Not stepping one foot into a movie theater until like next year. Nolan is by far one of my favorite directors and I'm a huge fan of his movies, but sorry, safety comes first before a two hour movie.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't have gone for endgame, and that was 10 years of buildup. I don't know why people at the top don't understand that most everyone doesn't wanna catch this fucking thing.

I love movie theatres and they (alongside concerts or livesports) are a post-vaccine summer activity now.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
And that would be bad, but not as bad as a single person dying because they prioritized making money.
Actively forcing the complete shutdown of all "non-essential" economy activity for an indeterminate amount of time would also result in widespread death & misery. It is not practical, sane, or humane to keep people isolated for that length of time. Two-to-three months is doable. Two-to-three years is not.

I understand the desire to keep things as contained as physically possible until this virus is indisputably cured. But it is really important to understand this is an unrealistic expectation, and finding a more universally acceptable balance between safety & activity is the only practical path forward.

Thus doesn't mean we need to fling open the doors immediately, and just go back to the way things were. But it does mean we need to accept that the current state of things isn't a long-term solution.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Insensitive commentary
I'm not sure this is the most appropiate thing to say... but he got "lucky" once with Heath Ledger's death. And I think he might get "lucky" here too, actually. I think cinemas will be open in quite a few countries in the world come July, but even if it was to be postponed, it looks like they could actually pull off marketing the movie as the kind of post-Covid event they want it to be.

Last edited:

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure this is the most appropiate thing to say, but he got lucky once with Heath Ledger's death. And I think he might get lucky here too, actually. I think cinemas will be open in quite a few countries in the world come July, but even if it was to be postponed, it looks like they could actually pull off marketing the movie as the kind of post-Covid event they want it to be.
Nor appropriate at all.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Actively forcing the complete shutdown of all "non-essential" economy activity for an indeterminate amount of time would also result in widespread death & misery. It is not practical, sane, or humane to keep people isolated for that length of time. Two-to-three months is doable. Two-to-three years is not.

I understand the desire to keep things as contained as physically possible until this virus is indisputably cured. But it is really important to understand this is an unrealistic expectation, and finding a more universally acceptable balance between safety & activity is the only practical path forward.

Thus doesn't mean we need to fling open the doors immediately, and just go back to the way things were. But it does mean we need to accept that the current state of things isn't a long-term solution.

Thank you.

Hayvic

Oct 27, 2017
Just because it will be allowed does not mean it should happen. It's just needlessly inviting disaster, encouraging people to risk their lives - and others', as obviously anyone spreading it will go on to affect people who had nothing to do with the decision to go see a movie - for the sake of making them some money.

But it's government policy based on expert opinion. Experts aren't infallible but if they predict that it will be possible why doubt from the outset? I mean july is 2 months off.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

1. There's a lot of room between "nothing non-essential" and re-opening businesses that pretty much just encourage people to gather in ways that will facilitate more people catching it. I know you get that, but if movie theaters are something that should stay closed, they should stay closed.

2. Would be nice if the government seemed to care about that aspect of this that is being humane, and was thinking about keeping people both safe and sane, and not just prioritizing "we need the economy again".

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
I just added the quotation marks. Of course I didn't really mean lucky or that he was even glad in the slightest, but I meant the things surrounding the movie helped the movie's success. And that it might happen again here.

I don't really see a scenario where he'd get away with it here and ending up with a huge success. If they release it on July, they're knowingly gonna be a sacrificial lamb just to get theaters going in general. It's also potentially risking killing off the theatrical market for a long time if infections can be traced to the theater.

Having said that, the article's premise is based off a couple quotes that didn't even directly come from him, it came from the IMAX CEO with about two-three sentences in an earnings call probably designed to give investors a glimmer of hope for the time being. I'm sure the CEO isn't speaking out of turn when he says Nolan would love to have his movie out as soon as possible but I don't know if that equates to the position of "getting it out as soon as possible while a not insignificant number of infections are out there"

We'll know soon enough if it's delayed and until when if the article is to be believed.

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
All these directors who evangelise about the magic of seeing movies at the cinema, on the big screen, I wonder how often they endure the misery of trying to enjoy a movie at a provincial multiplex with its endless adverts and trailers beforehand, and the shitty brightness of the projector?

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends where, and the situation of the epidemic in that specific place.

I'm really hoping we get into a proper tracking routine by june, so july 17 could be a fine enough date.

Will, however, vary by place obviously.

Oct 27, 2017
All these directors who evangelise about the magic of seeing movies at the cinema, on the big screen, I wonder how often they endure the misery of trying to enjoy a movie at a provincial multiplex with its endless adverts and trailers beforehand, and the shitty brightness of the projector?
Nolan actually attends the cinema regularly. There's quite a few pictures floating around of Nolan with fans at the movie theater.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
But it's government policy based on expert opinion. Experts aren't infallible but if they predict that it will be possible why doubt from the outset? I mean july is 2 months off.

Sorry, to be clear I meant - in the context of people reacting harshly who are American, theaters being open and showing it here does not mean it's actually safe. I don't know enough about your government's handling of it to say anything about its policy, so maybe they are handling it better and know what they're doing.

But here in the US I currently have 0 faith in the government actually doing things based on whether they are really proven to be safe enough vs purely wanting to see more money be spent regardless of people dying. At least when it comes to the entire country; individual states may be more responsible, but not all of them.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
no. People are going to be afraid to go to the theatre until there is a vaccine. Nolan should know this. Look at how the Colorado shooting impacted Dark Knight Rises' box office, now multiply that threat/fear level by 100.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Every time there's a new thread about Tenet in theaters, the article in question always talks about theaters' aspirational planning and health measures being taken to minimize risk, if they're even open at all. This one even mentions that theaters owners think a July reopening is more likely than June but still not altogether confident about even that. Not a single one of these ever starts from the premise, "By July 17th, movie theaters will be 100% open for business, cramming hundreds of people to a screen at time, and Chris Nolan is forcing them to do this at gunpoint." Yet there are inevitably dozens of posters who act like that's exactly the case. "Chris Nolan is a sociopath." "Chris Nolan wants to kill people for the sake of his new movie." Etc. It's becoming deranged.

If it's safe for theaters to be open at full capacity, then they will be. If it's safe for theaters to be open but at limited capacity, with certain restrictions or health measures in place, then they'll do that. If it's not safe for theaters to open, then they won't be. And in scenarios A and B, Tenet will play; in scenario C, it doesn't. It's as simple as that.

Oh, he is NOT going to be happy if (when?) the studio pushes to give it an early VoD release, is he?
That isn't happening for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is that WB would lose a ton of money on the movie.

Last edited:

Cubo

May 14, 2018
I don't really see a scenario where he'd get away with it here and ending up with a huge success. If they release it on July, they're knowingly gonna be a sacrificial lamb just to get theaters going in general. It's also potentially risking killing off the theatrical market for a long time if infections can be traced to the theater.

Yeah, that´s true. But if the plans to go back to some kind of normality worked (not at all confident that they will), and cinemas are working even in limited capacity, it could very well be the movie people will want to see and talk about. Of course it won't set any BO records, but it could turn up positive for the film's marketing and legacy. That is if the second part of your sentence doesn't happen, which could quite possibly do.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wait, is he demanding it be released in July or just that it be the first movie to be released when theaters reopen and he's okay with delaying it?

Cause if he just wants it to be the first movie when theaters return, that seems fine if he's okay with a delay if it's still not safe by July. If he's demanding they hold the July release, that's fucked. If they're just playing it by ear, then whatever.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Every time there's a new thread about Tenet in theaters, the article in question always talks about theaters' inspirational planning and health measures being taken to minimize risk, if they're even open at all. This one even mentions that theaters owners think a July reopening is more likely than June but still not altogether confident about even that. Not a single one of these ever starts from the premise, "By July 17th, movie theaters will be 100% open for business, cramming hundreds of people to a screen at time, and Chris Nolan is forcing them to do this at gunpoint." Yet there are inevitably dozens of posters who act like that's exactly the case. "Chris Nolan is a sociopath." "Chris Nolan wants to kill people for the sake of his new movie." Etc. It's becoming deranged.

If it's safe for theaters to be open at full capacity, then they will be. If it's safe for theaters to be open but at limited capacity, with certain restrictions or health measures in place, then they'll do that. If it's not safe for theaters to open, then they won't be. And in scenarios A and B, Tenet will play; in scenario C, it doesn't. It's as simple as that.

That isn't happening for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is that WB would lose a ton of money on the movie.
Yeah, agreed, it's weird everyone is throwing Nolan and WB under the bus when they're just being optimistic but no one is forcing theaters to force people to go to movies. He doesn't want it on VOD, that's fine. WB will just wait til theaters are safe and we'll end up with it around Christmas or whatever just as NTTD and WW84 got delayed.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, is he demanding it be released in July or just that it be the first movie to be released when theaters reopen and he's okay with delaying it?

Cause if he just wants it to be the first movie when theaters return, that seems fine if he's okay with a delay if it's still not safe by July. If he's demanding they hold the July release, that's fucked. If they're just playing it by ear, then whatever.

If things are still the way they are now, restrictions in a lot of states probably won't even be lifted for theaters by that point. Hell the dumb states that are opening too soon will probably be on lockdown again by then once they start to see a spike.

The companies can do what they want, they are crazy if they think people are going to want to be locked up in a theatre in July if things don't change significantly between now and then.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I don't care how much I love Nolan. I don't care how badly I want to see Tenet in the biggest and loudest theater. I'm not risking my heath to sit in a fucking movie theater and neither should you.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
I'm not dying to see this movie ..

Dick move wanting people crowding people into a theater social distancing or not to see his movie..

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that´s true. But if the plans to go back to some kind of normality worked (not at all confident that they will), and cinemas are working even in limited capacity, it could very well be the movie people will want to see and talk about. Of course it won't set any BO records, but it could turn up positive for the film's marketing and legacy. That is if the second part of your sentence doesn't happen, which could quite possibly do.

At some point this is probably what's going to happen, meaning they're going to open eventually and some movie is gonna take advantage of being one of the few players out there, I just don't see it being in July. But the theaters probably aren't going to be able to wait until a vaccine to be honest, and I don't think people in general can stay in this kind of status quo either. There's going to be a balance between achieving some semblance of normalcy and being safe. Hopefully, when that time comes, hopefully infections are at a very low number each day and testing/precautions are up to snuff

Akahige

Oct 27, 2017
I've been a movie buff all my life. I loved cinema and the act of going, buying all that popcorn and expensive shit. I'd love nothing more than to do that right now but this is stupid, I'm not willing to risk exposure sitting next people in a 25% capacity theater. I'm sure in hindsight Nolan and WB could have hustled and pushed this shit out a few months ago but that didn't happen. The entire world is restructuring and theater companies clearly aren't going to take the L and loss money but they are blindly doing that already.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Every time there's a new thread about Tenet in theaters, the article in question always talks about theaters' aspirational planning and health measures being taken to minimize risk, if they're even open at all. This one even mentions that theaters owners think a July reopening is more likely than June but still not altogether confident about even that. Not a single one of these ever starts from the premise, "By July 17th, movie theaters will be 100% open for business, cramming hundreds of people to a screen at time, and Chris Nolan is forcing them to do this at gunpoint." Yet there are inevitably dozens of posters who act like that's exactly the case. "Chris Nolan is a sociopath." "Chris Nolan wants to kill people for the sake of his new movie." Etc. It's becoming deranged.

I wouldn't trust cinema chains to follow public health safety evidence over their profit margins, but maybe I'm more cynical than you.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK

I mean more in the sense of putting it out a month or so after the cinema release, not instead of. The article points out that the film's gonna have trouble turning a profit if big metropolitan areas don't have their theatres open.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I mean more in the sense of putting it out a month or so after the cinema release, not instead of. The article points out that the film's gonna have trouble turning a profit if big metropolitan areas don't have their theatres open.
Oh in that case yeah I could see that. There will probably be some kind of theatrical window clause so that WB can't just push it out on streaming by early August, but if it ends up making its July date I could see it hitting VOD by like October? Maybe Sept?

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I wouldn't trust cinema chains to follow public health safety evidence over their profit margins, but maybe I'm more cynical than you.
Literally all three major cinema chains have said they will be following public health guidelines, and only opening under conditions permitted by local governments. It's why the only theaters open in Georgia & Texas RN are independent chains that want to "make a statement".

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not as doom and gloom as some you are, but I just don't see lots of people wanting to gather in a contained space for hours at a time when they don't absolutely need to.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you trust any movie theater to set up safety standards to protect you from catching a deadly virus that is ravaging the world....I'm afraid I have bad news for you.

Honestly I would feel no less safe walking into a movie theater than I am when I go grocery shopping, and I am ok with going to the store once a week. It isn't like movie theaters are going to allow 100% capacity for quite a while so we won't be all that close together.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Literally all three major cinema chains have said they will be following public health guidelines, and only opening under conditions permitted by local governments. It's why the only theaters open in Georgia & Texas RN are independent chains that want to "make a statement".
I certainly hope so. It's just concerning when you hear of other companies having opened like the meat packing industry where now more than half their employees across various sites have got Coronavirus. Cinemas are similarly quite packed and perfect breeding grounds for the disease, so I would hope cinema chains are not dumb like Tyson Foods.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see it in IMAX but I'm fine waiting for VOD